• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Traveling from Oslo/Norway - starting in Sarria - how to get there?

ShermanCostello

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning for this march (2018)
This will be my first Camino walk.
Hello everybody, I am planning for my first Camino in March, the short version from Sarria (as I can't be gone more than 11 days maximum).

The thread title explains my questions - what is the recommended travel route to get to Sarria?

Another question - is it recommended to book all accomodations in advance via this site, or can I do it along the way?

All other kind of advice is of course also appreciated :)

Sorry if this has already been answered in another thread, I couldn't find anything on this specific topic after some searching however, so I hope it's ok with this post.

Best from Norway

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There are two main options. Fly to Madrid and take the train from Madrid Charmatin railway station directly to Sarria (www.renfe.com) or fly to Santiago itself and take the bus or a taxi to Sarria. A taxi to Sarria takes about 90 minutes and costs about €130. The bus goes directly from Santiago airport to Lugo bus station and there you must change bus for Sarria. This takes about 3 hours. The bus cost about €15 in total. For bus from Santiago airport to Lugo check http://www.empresafreire.com for the bus from Lugo to Sarria check http://www.monbus.es/en. I am organising a group in April and flying into Madrid and out of Santiago.

There are two main options. Fly to Madrid and take the train from Madrid Charmatin railway station directly to Sarria (www.renfe.com) or fly to Santiago itself and take the bus or a taxi to Sarria. A taxi to Sarria takes about 90 minutes and costs about €130. The bus goes directly from Santiago airport to Lugo bus station and there you must change bus for Sarria. This takes about 3 hours. The bus cost about €15 in total. For bus from Santiago airport to Lugo check http://www.empresafreire.com for the bus from Lugo to Sarria check http://www.monbus.es/en. I am organising a group in April and flying into Madrid and out of Santiago.

Hello, Mark, thank you for good information. This looks very manageable.

One more question: - ideally i would like to a walk bit further than the Sarria - Santiago trip - are there any logical destinations earlier on the track I could start / where train/bus from Madrid/Santiago connects with? Looking for 2-3 more days of walking.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
O Cebreiro is a nice place to start. You can get a ALSA bus (www.alsa.es) from Madrid airport to a town nearby called Pedrafita do Cebreiro and then taxi for the remaining 5km up to O Cebreiro. This gives you an extra 2 days of walking. The only issue is there are only two buses a day from Madrid airport to Pedrafita do Cebreiro at 10:00 and 23:59.

Thanks, both of you, this is very helpful. I'll compare prices and decide between the different alternatives.

But for accommodation along the walking trip in the different towns - should I book in advance? If so, from which portal?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks, both of you, this is very helpful. I'll compare prices and decide between the different alternatives.

But for accommodation along the walking trip in the different towns - should I book in advance? If so, from which portal?
Depends on which type of accommodation you want to use. If you want a private room with en-suite bathroom each night then I would definitely book ahead. If you want a more flexible approach and are happy to stay in pilgrim hostels then in April you will not need to pre-book. For booking Gronze.com has most of the links to hostel websites. The Kindle version of some of the guide books also link to the website, email addresses and phone numbers of the pilgrim hostels (albergues). Only a small percentage of albergues are on booking.com .

April 1 is Easter. There were very many pilgrims on this section last year. Many of the main towns were completely filled. If you are walking the last week of March or fiirst week of April, I would make reservations ahead of time.

Hello everybody, I am planning for my first Camino in March, the short version from Sarria (as I can't be gone more than 11 days maximum).

The thread title explains my questions - what is the recommended travel route to get to Sarria?

Another question - is it recommended to book all accomodations in advance via this site, or can I do it along the way?

All other kind of advice is of course also appreciated :)

Sorry if this has already been answered in another thread, I couldn't find anything on this specific topic after some searching however, so I hope it's ok with this post.

Best from Norway
You can check the following website aswell,
www.Gronze.com and www.Rome2rio.com

Wish you well,Peter.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
As mentioned above, it matters greatly if it is the early half of March or the last week of March when it comes to reservations. If it is the former, I would say that a reservation is not necessary.

If you go by air to Madrid, you can get a bus from T4 to Leon , Astorga or Ponferrada or a train from Madrid Chamartin to the same towns.
Astorga to SdC would take 9 to 10 days and is the best of the Camino Frances, from Ponferrada 7 to 9 days and from Sarria 4-5 days.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would book ahead on www. renfe
.es for traintickets, promo tickets are the cheapest, and on alsa. es for bus tickets. Both renfe and alsa have apps.

Thanks to everybody here for excellent advice! I'm planning to head out on March 1st and arrive at my starting destination on March 2nd, and then start walking on March 3rd. Back home in Norway on the 10th or 11th.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back