• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Traveling from Paris to Bayonne

vasque

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino France September 2012
Camino Frances 2023
Hi Everyone. My plan is to fly into CDG, and catch the high speed TGV train to Bayonne. (Flying from the U.S.) Here are my questions:
1. Should I purchase my TGV train ticket in advance? If yes, I arrive in Paris on a Tuesday @ 10 a.m. How much time should I allot for clearing customs to ensure that I have time to catch my train?

2. As an alternative, Are there flights to Biarritz from Paris? If so, which airlines? Purchase ticket in advance? What travel modes are available from Biarritz to St. Jean?

Thanks for your help.

Robert

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Everyone. My plan is to fly into CDG, and catch the high speed TGV train to Bayonne. (Flying from the U.S.) Here are my questions:
1. Should I purchase my TGV train ticket in advance? If yes, I arrive in Paris on a Tuesday @ 10 a.m. How much time should I allot for clearing customs to ensure that I have time to catch my train?

2. As an alternative, Are there flights to Biarritz from Paris? If so, which airlines? Purchase ticket in advance? What travel modes are available from Biarritz to St. Jean?

Thanks for your help.

Robert
I am flying US to paris but changed to ORLY airport so I could take the AF ORLY to BIQ--Biarritz flight. Then, I am transferring to SJDPP. I looked into bus/underground/taxi/UBER for transfer CDG to ORY and it was easier just to do Orly. I seriously considered the train---still think that is a good option. IF you are flying into CDG with AF/Delta, there is a bus that will take you to the other airport--ORY...or so internet-lore says.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You can get a ticket from CDG to Bayonne on the rail europe website. You can't get them earlier than 90 days before departure. Buy these tickets in advance. Allow two hours from arrival to the time you will make it to the train station at CDG. Its never taken me more than an hour, but you never know.

Some trains head south from CDG, but more likely you will have a connection in the city of Paris at one of the major stations. You can also take the RER B line into the city from CDG, and get to the metro system from there. That is the easiest way to get to the major train stations, or even to Orly if you want to fly. Using the RER the first time is a little confusing, but thats how a local would do it.

Do you have time to spend a day or two in Paris? If you've never been, you should!

Buen Camino

It may be cheaper and quicker to fly. We flew Easy Jet from CDG to Biarritz. Pretty cheap if you book in advance. We also paid for the extra cost to check a bag (much cheaper in advance). From Bairritz we took Caroline's taxi service which I think is Express Bouricott.

I agree with Rick M about staying a day or two in Paris. But I disagree about using Rail Europe. When I have checked their website vs others I have found Rail Europe quite a bit more expensive.

I have arrived at CDG multiple times in the last few years. I would not count on arriving at the CDG train station before 1PM just to be on the safe side. Checking the Capitaine Train website, which I highly recommend, there is a 3:15 TGV (high speed train) leaving from the CDG airport station for Bayonne and arriving at just before 9PM next Tuesday. (Most Tuesday schedules are likely to be similar.) You may select the "ouigo" coach which is an internet only TGV coach. You pay online and cannot cancel your reservation. Buy your sandwich and food at CDG, the train offerings are poor representatives of French cuisine.

On our last overnight in Paris, we took a 7:20AM TGV to Irun Spain from the Gare Montparnasse. This train stops in both Bayonne and Biarritz. On that trip we selected the "ouigo" coach - 50 euros per person in first class.

The French trains you will take are very comfortable and I think they are just as sensible as transferring to Orly for an ongoing flight. Just my opinion.

I have tried to be brief here. Send me a PM if you need more info from me.

Tom

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It cost me $52.00 from CDG in Paris to Biarritz. About an hour and a half flight. Then the shuttle to St Jean.

I missed my Ryanair flight from Brussels to Bayonne 3 years ago, and as my itinerary was tight, I was obliged to train it down to Bayonne via Paris the same day. Since it was a Saturday there were only first class seats available on the TGV, which was very expensive indeed.
So yes, if you choose to take the train to Bayonne from Paris to Bayonne then I urge you to book as far ahead as possible

I flew to CDG one year and had to change to Orly for my flight to Biarritz. CDG is west of Paris and Orly east. Wait time for the bus was half an hour, the bus journey took one and a half hours on the major ring road and allow half and hour check in time at Orly, so factor that into your total time. The train could be quicker, easier and a chance to see the scenery, and it goes straight to Bayonne.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks to everyone for responses. Now my next dilemma is getting from Santiago to Paris. Which carriers are available? Approximate cost? Purchase ticket in advance?

Vueling flies Santiago to Paris non stop. Basic, reliable service. I did not buy my return ticket in advance, because I did not know when I would get to Santiago. About a week away from Santiago, our traveling band had our plans firm, and I bought my ticket to Paris for, I think, 70 euros. You may get lucky, or unlucky doing it this way I guess, but I would do it the same way again. You won't know when you will want to leave Santiago until you get close to being there. On the other hand, I have been to Paris many times, and knew I would want to spend some time there before I headed home. You may NOT want to spend time in Paris (its a LOT more $$$ than Spain!), so buying your ticket to match your return flight now would make sense.

Buen Camino

Is there a reason why we never see flying into Bordeau as a possible solution to get to SJPP? All I read is Biarritz.

Thank you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Is there a reason why we never see flying into Bordeau as a possible solution to get to SJPP? All I read is Biarritz.

Thank you.
I remember that last year when I booked my tickets 3 months in advance for May 2016 the prices for Bordeaux were higher than those for Biarritz when ticket for the train added. But that was from my starting point (Venice). For other folks I guess it's just less hassle when flying almost directly to Bayonne.

Also for overseas flights (landing in London, Paris, Madrid) maybe Biarritz is more accessible???

Also for overseas flights (landing in London, Paris, Madrid) maybe Biarritz is more accessible???
Well that's why I'm asking, because we have direct flights from Montreal to Bordeau, whichnhad never ocurred to me. Mind you, I have not wanted to start in SJPP in 10 years, but other might.

Well that's why I'm asking, because we have direct flights from Montreal to Bordeau, whichnhad never ocurred to me. Mind you, I have not wanted to start in SJPP in 10 years, but other might.
Then that's very convenient. Non-refundable train tickets to Bayonne are around 20€.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Vueling flies Santiago to Paris non stop. Basic, reliable service. I did not buy my return ticket in advance, because I did not know when I would get to Santiago. About a week away from Santiago, our traveling band had our plans firm, and I bought my ticket to Paris for, I think, 70 euros. You may get lucky, or unlucky doing it this way I guess, but I would do it the same way again. You won't know when you will want to leave Santiago until you get close to being there. On the other hand, I have been to Paris many times, and knew I would want to spend some time there before I headed home. You may NOT want to spend time in Paris (its a LOT more $$$ than Spain!), so buying your ticket to match your return flight now would make sense.

Buen Camino

Thanks Rick. Very useful info.

Thanks to everyone for responses. Now my next dilemma is getting from Santiago to Paris. Which carriers are available? Approximate cost? Purchase ticket in advance?
We flew into and out of CDG on Icelandair from the US. We planned an overnight at a very reasonable Paris airport hotel coming in and then flew Biarritz the next morning to help us combat the jet lag from US to Europe. We flew out of Santiago on Vueling and again overnighted in the same Paris airport hotel before catching our Icelandair flight back to the US. We had plenty of time so this was not a factor and we needed the rest. Our flights were nothing too fancy, but very affordable. Many pilgrims on flights on both the Easyjet and the Vueling flights.

Thanks for your help.

Robert

1) No. Unless you are prepared to eat the ticket if you arrive late. You can plan on it taking an hour to get off the plane and finished with baggage customs etc, however, I'd allow minimum 3 hours before considering taking transportation that requires reservations just to allow for unforseen delays.

2) Yes there are flights from CDG and Orly to Biarritz. Easy Jet and Air France Hop provide service. Visit Biarritz Airport BIQ website for up-to-date information about service providers.

Chronoplus #14 bus from Biarritz/Anglet Airport to Gare Bayonne. SNCF TER train from Bayonne to SJPdP.

If you arrive too late to catch the last train stay at Hotel Monte Carlo and catch 0745 train.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Thank you.

Because Biarritz is much closer to SJPdP as Bordeaux.

Yours is good idea to compare Bordeaux with Paris as port of arrival.

Renfe Train to Irun/Hendaye or Barcelona.

SNCF train from Hendaye or Barcelona to Paris.

Time to travel is approximately the same for either route.

See Aena Santiago airport website for service provider information with destinations.

Sometimes there are flights direct from Santiago to Paris. Usually you'll need to go via London, Madrid, or Barcelona.

There have been flight service from A Coruna and Vigo to Paris so worthwhile to check those ports too.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back