• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Traveling From Paris to St. Jean Pied du Port-on an extream budget!

Seiko141

Time of past OR future Camino
(July to June)
Hola Todos,

My 16 year old son and I will be making the pilgrimage starting in June 2016. I have been saving for this journey for some time. We plan to stay in Paris for 2 nights and leave on a Wednesday morning to St. Jean Pied du Port. We are very modest people and do not have a lot of means ($) but a lot of will. I would be very thankful if you can provide some advice on getting to St. Jean Pied du Port as economically as possible. With sincere thanks and humility- Hector

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola Todos,

My 16 year old son and I will be making the pilgrimage starting in June 2016. I have been saving for this journey for some time. We plan to stay in Paris for 2 nights and leave on a Wednesday morning to St. Jean Pied du Port. We are very modest people and do not have a lot of means ($) but a lot of will. I would be very thankful if you can provide some advice on getting to St. Jean Pied du Port as economically as possible. With sincere thanks and humility- Hector

booking 3 months(maximum) in advance helps when booking the train to St Jean Pied de Port.
there is a easy jet flight from Paris CDG to Biarritz much cheaper than the train if you book in advance.you can book now for flights providing you rucksacks are sized for carry on and not going in the hold (a charge)......the flight operates various times

June 7 departs 10:50 am
June 8th 07:00 am
June 9th 07:00 am
June 10th 07:00 am
June 11th 10:55 am examples

as robisch states you might want to take Paris out of the equation

Hola - Having lived in Paris i know it can be an expensive city - even for just a couple of days - so unless you're staying with friends, relatives or in a hostel (which can also be relatively expensive) you might want to consider taking Paris out of the equation. Cheers!

Thank you for the suggestion. I was able to find a hotel for a very reasonable amount ($60.00 us). I want my son to see just a few sights as we may never come this way again. This will be an opportunity of a life time. As with any parent, I would want to make the most of the trip (within reason). Thank you again.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
booking 3 months(maximum) in advance helps when booking the train to St Jean Pied de Port.
there is a easy jet flight from Paris CDG to Biarritz much cheaper than the train if you book in advance.you can book now for flights providing you rucksacks are sized for carry on and not going in the hold (a charge)......the flight operates various times

June 7 departs 10:50 am
June 8th 07:00 am
June 9th 07:00 am
June 10th 07:00 am
June 11th 10:55 am examples

as robisch states you might want to take Paris out of the equation

Can you provide an estimate of the cost of the flight? Would I need to engage a travel agent to book this flight? What airline would provide this service? Greatest thanks!

I would be very thankful if you can provide some advice on getting to St. Jean Pied du Port as economically as possible.

Hi, it depends where you are flying in from. For me, it is cheaper to book a through flight to Biarritz, than to book a flight to Paris, and then book a train, or another airline, to Bayonne / Biarritz. Paris is expensive. I agree with the others, leave Paris for another day, and plan this trip round your camino. Your son has his whole life ahead of him to visit Paris. Jill

Can you provide an estimate of the cost of the flight? Would I need to engage a travel agent to book this flight? What airline would provide this service? Greatest thanks!

for those dates ##June 7th 51:23 euros per person assuming your son is over 15 that is 102:43 euros
June 8th 59:23 euros each
June 9th 62:23 euros each
June 10th 70:23 euros each
June 11th 66:22 euros each
this is carry on rucksack not for hold Luggage

the train from Paris CdG To SJPP
Paris to Bayonne 80:92 euros
Bayonne to SJPP 8 euros 88:92 euros each

assuming your son is over 15 adult fare

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I do a lot of prep for people flying into Europe from the USA not on here.
and mostly except in winter its easy to fly in and out of Madrid for getting to SJPP. and cheaper.

if you want to send me the dates coming and leaving you have and which USA airport near you I can do some plans for you and costs then send them to me via the Pm.... (private message system). and I will forward them.

From Santiago its easy fast and simple to reach Madrid ,.ryanair do a shuttle to Madrid which is cheap providing you not placing your rucksacks in the hold

Paris is always a good idea
Getting right to it I'd suggest.
The OOPS hostel - Easy to get to by metro from airports and main intercity train stations - Close go 2 metro stations for getting around Paris and only 2 metro stations from Montparnasse where the fast TGV to Bayonne leaves from.
For best TGV fares book exactly 90 days in advance. Put a note in your diary to remind you. Consider using "Capitaine Train" website to buy tickets. Go have a play online, they will hunt best fare for you - in three trips I have never paid more than 40 euro for a ticket. Book a TGV that arrives in Bayonne before the last bus or train leaves Bayonne train station for St Jean.
Don't fly Paris to Biarritz. The 5hr train ride is fantastic and cheaper than flying. I wouldn't miss it for all the tea in China.
Regds
Gerard

Try this site http://www.seat61.com/France-trains.htm#French train schedules & fares When travel to / from airports etc are added in, not to mention interminable airport security queues and add on costs of luggage, trains, carefully selected are usually far cheaper (and more fun!). The night sleeper train from Gare Austerlitz to Bayonne gives you a nights sleep, time to check out the riverside market, take an early lunch and travel to StJdP in time to visit the Pilgrim Office and walk to Valcarlos if you were that way inclined.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

what age of your son and will your bags be small enough to take on as cabin luggage would help me.
you could use a travel agent.....
easy jet class a child up to the age of 15 and including

thanks

Last edited:
I totally understand your desire to see Paris. It's an amazing city and you should definitely take advantage of being on the continent! Formule 1 is an inexpensive hotel option, (46 per night for a two person room.) It's in the outskirts of the city, but easily accesible by metro. If you're interested, PM me and I can send you a list of monuments to see. Over the years, I've taken dozens of groups of students there, so I have some experience in seeing as much as possible in a short amount of time.
As for flights, unfortunately París is usually one of the most expensive cities to fly into. Since you quoted a hotel price in dollars, I'm assuming you are coming from the States... I would look into flying into París (CDG) and home from Santiago (SCQ). It may be cheaper.
Right now, flying into Copenhagen (CPH) is super cheap. Easyjet has cheap flights from Copenhagen to París and from Paris to Biarritz. However, I would also recomnend the 90 day advance train ticket purchase.

Last edited:
getting to St. Jean Pied du Port as economically as possible
The cheapest option is probably on a Eurolines bus from Paris to Bayonne, about 36 euros per person. Jill

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Seiko141,

Welcome to the Forum!

What an adventure you and your son are planning; Paris should be the perfect place to begin.

Be sure to check out these earlier Forum threads for more about pilgrim sites in Paris and the camino in Paris.

Visit the Tour Saint Jacques and nearby the Auberge de Nicolas Flamel , 51 rue de Monmorency, a restored medieval house in the marais built by and named for a man who donated much of his wealth to help pilgrims.

When on the parvis or place facing the Notre Dame cathedral below you underground lie Roman ruins and visible to your right across the Seine River begins the medieval rue Saint Jacques which pilgrims followed to leave the city; walk it a bit and ponder history.

Take a deep breath, relax and just enjoy! As an American who has lived 35 years in France both in Paris and Champagne even after all those years for me as Thomas Jefferson wrote “a walk about Paris will provide lessons in history, beauty, and in the point of life.”

Happy planning, Bon Chemin and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
I do a lot of prep for people flying into Europe from the USA not on here.
and mostly except in winter its easy to fly in and out of Madrid for getting to SJPP. and cheaper.

if you want to send me the dates coming and leaving you have and which USA airport near you I can do some plans for you and costs then send them to me via the Pm.... (private message system). and I will forward them.

From Santiago its easy fast and simple to reach Madrid ,.ryanair do a shuttle to Madrid which is cheap providing you not placing your rucksacks in the hold
Also look at IBERIA EXPRESS who also fly from SdC to Madrid, They can be cheaper than Ryanair.

Also look at IBERIA EXPRESS who also fly from SdC to Madrid, They can be cheaper than Ryanair.

sometimes it can, depends on how far in advance Jim-459. Ryanair do come out better, not always....

observation

I just did a check, same date for Iberia V Ryanair for 0ct 22nd chose at random

Ryanair Depart Santiago 08:15 arrives Madrid 09:30 cost 19:10 euros
Iberia Depart Santiago 06:45 arrives Madrid 08:00 cost 38:20 euros

for tomorrow 18 -Sept/2015 slightly cheaper by Ryanair by a few euros except Iberia is a late flight arriving 23:05 pm

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hola Todos,

Take SNCF train from Paris Gare Montparnasse to Bayonne. Transfer to SNCF TER train to Cambo les Bains where an SNCF bus continues to SJPdP.

The SNCF website is finicky about the transfer at Bayonne. You need a reservation to get from Paris to Bayonne. You cannot get a reservation for the Bayonne to SJPdP leg. So best to buy as two separate tickets.

I was debating whether to flight or take the train from Paris to St. Jean, this thead make me decide to take the train. That's to show that not only the one asking the question benefits from the information is provided. Thanks all for your input, really appreciated.

Chris

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back