• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Traveling from South Africa

jsalt

Jill
Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
Since Iberia Airlines stopped flying into South Africa there has been no direct flight to Spain. So South Africans have to fly into another European country to get to and from their camino. What is the best way to get from South Africa to St Jean Pied de Port, and then back home again from Santiago de Compostela?

There seems to be a hundred different ways, involving flights, trains, buses or even a hire car. As I started researching, I discovered some major obstacles.
  1. Trains and buses take many hours from, and back to, your chosen arrival/departure city in Europe (not a problem if you have lots of time).

2. The cheapest airlines in Europe (Ryanair, Easyjet, Vueling) often depart or arrive at very inconvenient times.

3. The cheapest airlines may involve changing flights (e.g. Vueling via Barcelona), which greatly adds to the risk of getting back to your chosen European city, and not missing your connecting flight home.

4. All three points above may involve having to overnight somewhere (so extra cost).
However, the major problem I can see, if taking connecting flights on different carriers, is if one flight is delayed, and you miss your connecting flight, you have no recompense whatsoever. Please somebody correct me if I am wrong, but if the two connecting flights were booked separately, that is, not on the same ticketing system, then the first airline has no obligation to refund you your money for the missed second flight; and the second airline has no obligation to put you on the next flight for free, if you pitch up too late for your booked flight.

This is really seriously scary, as not only will you have to pay again for another (very expensive) long haul flight to get back home, you will probably have to find and pay for a hotel for the night in a (very expensive) European city.

So, it seems very important to me that when booking flights from South Africa, all flights should be done on the same ticketing system, so that if one flight is delayed, and you miss the connecting flight, the airline is obliged to put you on their next available flight for no extra charge.

I have come up with the following route using Air France, with the times given as they are currently scheduled (2015, and may change at any time). This option means there is no need to overnight anywhere to and from your camino, there are comfortable transfer times between flights, times of arrivals and departures are perfectly acceptable, and the whole process is fairly easy and straightforward.

From Johannesburg (South Africa) to St Jean Pied de Port (France):
  1. Air France departs Johannesburg at 18:50 and arrives Paris (Charles de Gaulle airport) at 05:35.

2. Airport bus from Charles de Gaulle airport to Orly airport.

3. Air France departs Paris (Orly airport) at 08:50 (or there is a later flight at 11:15 for a more leisurely transfer time) to Biarritz, arriving 10:05 (or 12:30).

4. Airport bus from Biarritz to Bayonne train station.

5. Train from Bayonne to St Jean Pied de Port. You should arrive in SJPP late afternoon/early evening, or approximately 24 hours after leaving Johannesburg.
From Santiago de Compostela (Spain) to Johannesburg (South Africa):
  1. Bus from Santiago de Compostela bus station to Vigo bus station (about every hour and takes about one and half hours).

2. Airport bus from Vigo bus station to Vigo airport.

3. Air France (HOP Regional) departs Vigo at 18:00 and arrives Paris (at Charles de Gaulle, so no airport transfer, yebo!) at 20:00.

4. Air France departs Paris (Charles de Gaulle) at 23:30 and arrives Johannesburg at 11:10. So you arrive back in Jo’burg approximately 24 hours after leaving Santiago.
The airfares vary for different days of the week. The big bonus is that the two connecting flights (that is, Paris to Biarritz, and Vigo to Paris) cost very little extra when booked with the Jo’burg/Paris/Jo’burg legs. It is very unlikely that you could book similar flights for the same cost on Ryanair, Easyjet or Vueling. And, unlike Ryanair, etc, on Air France the price includes hold luggage, a reserved seat, tea/coffee, snacks, meals, etc.

Buen camino! Jill

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back