• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Traveling from UK - where to go?

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich1

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (5/15)
Frances & Muxia (2016-18)
Camino from Madrid (9/18)
Frances to Burgos (9/19)
TBC
So Spain has announced that people arriving from the UK will not face period of quarantine, and I am sorely tempted to walk. However, it seem likely that France will maintain its 14 day quarantine until we stop ours! Therefore getting to SJPdP is "problematic" and flying to Biaritz not really an option.
So my question is: what would you do if you were happy to travel? Where would you fly to? Where you start from? Which Camino?

I fully intend bringing my tent but would also want the option of a bed every few nights.
Given the infrastructure of the Frances, at least there should be a decent selection of accommodation available. And I know the route well which would make camping a lot easier. The Frances always calls to me.
Don't know that much about the Norte.
Always been tempted by Via de la Plata but not sure how feasible camping is, plus walking in July/August is generally not advised due the heat. Started the Madrid a couple of years ago, got to Segovia having seen no pilgrims at all, and diverted!
The Frances will obviously be a lot quieter that normal which presumably means other Caminos will be super quiet - I'm not sure that's something I actually want. And probably accommodation would be a major problem on the generally quieter camino's.
Interested to see others' views and suggestions :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Perhaps you land to Bilbao and then start the Camino northe from there.

And when you reach Oviedo you start the Primitivo. Or simply continue on the northe till the end.

Both options are great to walk.

Enjoy

So Spain has announced that people arriving from the UK will not face period of quarantine, and I am sorely tempted to walk. However, it seem likely that France will maintain its 14 day quarantine until we stop ours! Therefore getting to SJPdP is "problematic" and flying to Biaritz not really an option.
So my question is: what would you do if you were happy to travel? Where would you fly to? Where you start from? Which Camino?

I fully intend bringing my tent but would also want the option of a bed every few nights.
Given the infrastructure of the Frances, at least there should be a decent selection of accommodation available. And I know the route well which would make camping a lot easier. The Frances always calls to me.
Always been tempted by Via de la Plata but not sure how feasible camping is, plus walking in July/August is generally not advised due the heat. Started the Madrid a couple of years ago, got to Segovia having seen no pilgrims at all, and diverted!
The Frances will obviously be a lot quieter that normal which presumably means other Caminos will be super quiet - I'm not sure that's something I actually want. And probably accommodation would be a major problem on the generally quieter camino's.
My suggestion for while we're in the middle of a pandemic and bracing ourselves for the second wave?

British Pilgrimages

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am unsure how public transport/buses are running in Spain these days; it could be a problem?
Yes ,I am not sure about busses running,Alsa busses are the main ones,you could try and google them and see or contact them and ask.

My employment situation has "evolved" in the last two weeks and I am now looking to walk as well. Seville and Bilbao look like viable starting points but I am afraid the VDLP will be dangerously hot at this time of year.

My employment situation has "evolved" in the last two weeks and I am now looking to walk as well. Seville and Bilbao look like viable starting points but I am afraid the VDLP will be dangerously hot at this time of year.
Unless you have experience of walking in a very hot and dry climate, I do not recommend the VDLP until after the summer has passed. What's more, I don't know how many VDLP albergues will be open in the coming months. I saw an announcement from the management of the albergue at Embalse de Alcántara today that they're not going to open until September, because they simply don't anticipate much demand until then.
If you were to walk the Norte from Bilbao now, you could consider following it with a PLDV from Santiago toward Seville. That would probably hit the sweet spot in terms of timing.

EDIT: I've heard from friends that the forecast in Granada and Jaen is for temperatures above 35 Celcius in June. Temperatures are expected to exceed 40 Celsius in Cordoba. That's for June. July and August will be hotter still.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

As far as I am aware, the quarantine for Brits arriving in France is voluntary - https://uk.ambafrance.org/COVID-19-UK-and-French-travel-and-quarantine-measures. (info gleaned from several updated guidelines plus my mother who lives in France). No need for the emergency certificate, and no compulsory quarantine. Seems likely the UK quarantine rules will be dropped anyway, but my partner and I are planning to walk from SJPdP from mid-August :)

Fly to Madrid and then take a short flight to Pamplona. That's what I have planned.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Unless you have experience of walking in a very hot and dry climate, I do not recommend the VDLP until after the summer has passed. What's more, I don't know how many VDLP albergues will be open in the coming months. I saw an announcement from the management of the albergue at Embalse de Alcántara today that they're not going to open until September, because they simply don't anticipate much demand until then.
If you were to walk the Norte from Bilbao now, you could consider following it with a PLDV from Santiago toward Seville. That would probably hit the sweet spot in terms of timing.
I think you are right. I started out thinking of the Via Lusitana but the heat and the doubts about border crossings had moved my thoughts to Spain. The VDLP appeals as I have done the second half but starting at 4 am is not really my thing. I will probably do the Frances as that is where there is most likely to be at least a sufficiency of accommodation for whatever pilgrims there are. I had always planned to do the CF off season to avoid the crowds but things change.

Last edited:
As far as I am aware, the quarantine for Brits arriving in France is voluntary - https://uk.ambafrance.org/COVID-19-UK-and-French-travel-and-quarantine-measures. (info gleaned from several updated guidelines plus my mother who lives in France). No need for the emergency certificate, and no compulsory quarantine. Seems likely the UK quarantine rules will be dropped anyway, but my partner and I are planning to walk from SJPdP from mid-August :)
I'm planning on walking from St Jean Pied De Port to Logroño from 9 August, and I've booked a flight to Biarritz the day before.
I was under the impression that the French quarantine ruling is voluntary but, in any case, a lot of people think that the UK quarantine rules will be removed by the end of July (if not earlier), particularly as it has very little support in Westminster.
For anyone leaving soon, it might be better to fly to Bilbao or Madrid, then head to Roncesvalles (if you're doing the whole Camino) or even do the stretch from Logroño (less than two hours by bus from Bilbao) to Burgos (or beyond). Alternatively, you could walk the last 100 km from Sarria (there's a train from Madrid Chamartin) to Santiago.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to heading out again in August. BUEN CAMINO!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Fly to Madrid, take train to Pamplona. If ALSA bus cannot pass to St Jean, then take bus to Roncesvalles and start your camino there.

Members should be minded of Rule 1 of the Forum Rules :

1) Please do not be rude or write anything that can be considered a personal attack. We can have opinions that differ on topics, but we should not get rude or personal. What is rude? or what is a personal attack and what is not? The "receiver" of a comment might think it is rude/a personal attack, while the author might disagree. The final judgement is made by the moderators (we will do the best we can).

Until UK Govt updates its "No unnecessary foreign travel" advice you may find you have no travel insurance. As I have previously posted I have already had one of my travel insurance policies remove any covid 19 related cover. Just because they are opening their borders does not mean it is safe or prudent to travel even if you can get to that border. Easy Jet are flying limited routes in UK only at the moment. Personally I am waiting it out to see how this all pan's out before I am flying anywhere, this is not fear but simply common sense for myself and those around me. I am restricting travel to UK (England) based walks once the overnight restriction comes off and even then will be travelling as off peak as I can by train, compulsory mask on and hand gel in pack.
Stay safe,
Don.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Nice link. If I were in England I'd be looking at one of these. Very interesting history and pilgrim traditions, with beautiful scenery.
The thing about any route in England (UK) is the lack of accommodation, and the expense. B&Bs can cost around £80 per night, and are often not near the route - though some owners will pick you up. There are far fewer youth hostels than once there were.

When threads are diverted from the original question, by strong criticism of the OP for even asking the question, it can seem rude or personal. The moderators do their best to manage such situations.

Reminder: Rule 7 is important for maintaining civility and protecting the moderators. Any discussion or objection to moderator decisions should be made by Private Conversation with moderators or Ivar, or by "Reporting" a post.

The thing about any route in England (UK) is the lack of accommodation, and the expense. B&Bs can cost around £80 per night, and are often not near the route - though some owners will pick you up. There are far fewer youth hostels than once there were.
And even when there were more hostels back in the day they were so far apart I would only walk in the Lake District, the rest of the time was cycle only. Add on top of that the reduction of bus service in more rural areas and the only viable option for an extended walk is wild camping, which is not for me, considering the British weather.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Hi Rich 1
I see you live in the Lake District...what a place
One of our favourite stomping grounds!

Re the Camino.......I would be out the door this minute to do the Ingles if only "himself" would show some interest!
Re the callings.....they all call to me and I have the Baztan and the Bayonne on the list too

Even though we could still fly to Spain without restrictions....the foreign office is still saying only essential travel recommend....
Therefore this recommendation invalidates travel insurance ...

So now we hope to go to Cornwall in a couple of weeks if this place opens up tomorrow
The Lake District is also waiting for us if the weather forecast is good
Best wishes
Annette

Really? Ivar’s Post today at the top of this forum suggests Spain is still closed to all but Shengen member countries.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Really? Ivar’s Post today at the top of this forum suggests Spain is still closed to all but Shengen member countries.
[/QU
Until UK Govt updates its "No unnecessary foreign travel" advice you may find you have no travel insurance. As I have previously posted I have already had one of my travel insurance policies remove any covid 19 related cover. Just because they are opening their borders does not mean it is safe or prudent to travel even if you can get to that border. Easy Jet are flying limited routes in UK only at the moment. Personally I am waiting it out to see how this all pan's out before I am flying anywhere, this is not fear but simply common sense for myself and those around me. I am restricting travel to UK (England) based walks once the overnight restriction comes off and even then will be travelling as off peak as I can by train, compulsory mask on and hand gel in pack.
Stay safe,
Don.
Yeah pretty hypothetical at the moment,but things are moving along,another day of no new deaths in Scotland,hopefully the UK will get there,and then more travel options should follow,
Bill

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sounds encouraging. As for the temperatures in Spain in July - in the end if we walked mid summer because it suited us , you just have to rise and shine at 5 and depart walking at 6 am

With the changing situation , no insurance etc , probably better to wait , but Roncevalles is a delightful start , flying in to Bilbao.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Walkerooni, even better than the news and what it may say somewhere on the forum: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain - this is the current (22 June 2020) advice from the UK Government for British nationals travelling from the UK to Spain. They can travel right now and there is no quarantine for them upon arrival in Spain.
Only essential travel,so probably not for walking the Camino,
And if like me you stay in Scotland,we can travel 5miles from home,more for visiting,so it's a waiting game at the moment,
Bill

Only essential travel,so probably not for walking the Camino
That is not correct. As things stand today (23 June 2020), British nationals can travel to Spain and walk a Camino or lie on the beach for a fortnight. You are referring to the travel advice of the UK Foreign Office while I replied to the question from someone from Canada whether people from the UK are allowed to travel from the UK to Spain for any purpose. There is apparently a lot of confusion but at least the people who actually intend to travel very soon are aware of the situation ...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That is not correct. As things stand today (23 June 2020), British nationals can travel to Spain and walk a Camino or lie on the beach for a fortnight. You are referring to the travel advice of the UK Foreign Office while I replied to the question from someone from Canada whether people from the UK are allowed to travel from the UK to Spain for any purpose. There is apparently a lot of confusion but at least the people who actually intend to travel very soon are aware of the situation ...
From the Times this morning it looks like the advice will adjust soon for ten countries so that people can travel there from the UK without quarantine on return. This includes France and Spain. This is behind a paywall and any official change will be on the FCO website. It feels as if economic matters are now taking the lead in the UK. Where I live in London people seem to be moving ahead of the advice and getting out and about more although the Tube is still empty.

Where would you fly to? Where you start from? Which Camino?
I fully intend bringing my tent
Taking into consideration the weather, I would choose Camino del Norte (if you want a long camino) or Primitivo (if you prefere a shorter one).

In those two caminos you will have more oportunities to use your tent without problems.

Also a very nice combine would be Norte up to Oviedo, Salvador up to Leon and Frances from Leon up to SdC.

Taking into consideration the weather, I would choose Camino del Norte (if you want a long camino) or Primitivo (if you prefere a shorter one).

In those two caminos you will have more oportunities to use your tent without problems.

Also a very nice combine would be Norte up to Oviedo, Salvador up to Leon and Frances from Leon up to SdC.
Thanks
Bit cooler on the coast?
More official campsites on Norte & Primitivo, or just easier?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would have been in Portugal now if it wasn't for the Covid,plan is still to cycle down,but advice seems to vary,I would be one of those intending to travel very soon,but not sure I'd get anywhere fast,
No ferries or planes or accommodation in the UK.
Hopefully things move shortly.
Bill

From the Times this morning it looks like the advice will adjust soon for ten countries so that people can travel there from the UK without quarantine on return. This includes France and Spain. This is behind a paywall and any official change will be on the FCO website. It feels as if economic matters are now taking the lead in the UK. Where I live in London people seem to be moving ahead of the advice and getting out and about more although the Tube is still empty.
Hi,just come in from work,looks like things are moving,B&Bs,and campsites to open from 44th July,I guess ,I'll be heading South soon.

Bit cooler on the coast?

The average temperature in the Camino del Norte could be around 26/28 ºC, in the Camino Frances, in La Meseta, it could go up to 40ºC and, as a normal temperature, I would say 33/35ºC and the sun hits you really hard!

More official campsites on Norte & Primitivo, or just easier?
Both of them. I think that while you're not in the tourist beach towns, it's easy to ask someone if they allow you to camp. Most of the people will not put any problem. There are even many albegues with a piece of land and you can camp there and use the albergue facilities.

On the UK Govt travel advice website under Spain it clearly states ""Covid 19 exceptional travel advisory notice. The Foreign and Commonwealth Office currently advises British Nationals against all but essential International Travel". This is H M Govt telling me I should not travel abroad. As long as that is the official stance I will not be covered by travel Insurance assuming I can actually get to Spain and not get turned back at UK border for "non essential travel" This advice was current as of 23/06/20
The page goes onto state the Spanish position which is their border is now open to Brit's and other travellers.
In short whilst the Spanish entry door is open the British exit remains closed at least until 4th July when we may be let out, finally, for overnight stays.
Don

On the UK Govt travel advice website under Spain it clearly states ""Covid 19 exceptional travel advisory notice. The Foreign and Commonwealth Office currently advises British Nationals against all but essential International Travel". This is H M Govt telling me I should not travel abroad. As long as that is the official stance I will not be covered by travel Insurance assuming I can actually get to Spain and not get turned back at UK border for "non essential travel" This advice was current as of 23/06/20
The page goes onto state the Spanish position which is their border is now open to Brit's and other travellers.
In short whilst the Spanish entry door is open the British exit remains closed at least until 4th July when we may be let out, finally, for overnight stays.
Don
That's how I've been reading it too, still light at the end of the tunnel.
Bill

Don
I think this is the correct reading. I have checked in the past with the company I use for travel insurance and they confirmed that they would not cover for claims where they arose out of travel against government advice. Although claims for reasons not covered for the advice would be fine. In any case they are not currently writing new business.

My position is that I will start to plan when the advice allows and I can get cover I am comfortable with.

Hey,

I arrived into Malaga from the UK yesterday, and will be travelling to Seville tomorrow and starting the VDLP on Thurs. Here’s a few notes on my plans incase it helps anyone;

- I plan on starting my days early to avoid the hottest part of the day.
- I had no bother boarding my flight, you have to wear masks throughout and are required to request to go to the bathroom. Your temperature is taken on arrival, and that’s it.
- I have my European Health Card which entitles me to health cover in Spain. It’s worth noting that Brits can still get this until December, and unless you are travelling with very expensive equipment, it reduces the need for travel insurance.
- I called ahead to a few albergues who seem to be open. I am using these as an indication for the route as a whole.
- I used to work for an australian agent that sold the camino & the reason i am jumping on it so quick, beyond wanting to do it, is because the economies of small towns along the way heavily rely on pilgrims, and if we can then, im my opinion we should 😊

hope that this is helpful & stay safe everyone!

Last edited:
Hey,

I arrived into Malaga from the UK yesterday, and will be travelling to Seville tomorrow and starting the VDLP on Thurs. Here’s a few notes on my plans incase it helps anyone;

- I had no bother boarding my flight, you have to wear masks throughout and are required to request to go to the bathroom. Your temperature is taken on arrival, and that’s it.
- I have my European Health Card which entitles me to health cover in Spain. It’s worth noting that Brits can still get this until December, and unless you are travelling with very expensive equipment, it reduces the need for travel insurance.
- I called ahead to a few albergues who seem to be open. I am using these as an indication for the route as a whole.
- I used to work for an australian agent that sold the camino & the reason i am jumping on it so quick, beyond wanting to do it, is because the economies of small towns along the way heavily rely on pilgrims, and if we can then, im my opinion we should 😊

Hola John,I see you're from Glasgow,which airline and where did you fly from?
Get so used to being told you can't travel,I was hoping to cycle down,but tempted to take my bike or just buy one out there,
One more question,all the cafes and hotels open?
Bill
Buen Camino

Hola John,I see you're from Glasgow,which airline and where did you fly from?
Get so used to being told you can't travel,I was hoping to cycle down,but tempted to take my bike or just buy one out there,
One more question,all the cafes and hotels open?
Bill
Buen Camino

Hey Bill,

I flew in from Prestwick which is near Glasgow, with Ryanair. And yeah, almost everything has re-opened here.

€46,-
G
Hey Bill,

I flew in from Prestwick which is near Glasgow, with Ryanair. And yeah, almost everything has re-opened here.
Good to know, I'm just along the road in Irvine, I will get on the Ryanair site and start booking,
I guess I could wait awhile otherwise, did anyone question you?
Cheers Bill

G

Good to know, I'm just along the road in Irvine, I will get on the Ryanair site and start booking,
I guess I could wait awhile otherwise, did anyone question you?
Cheers Bill

Ah ideal.

No not at all, it’s all really above board. You just need to make sure you take a face mask as they’ll not give you one and deny you boarding otherwise.

Great thanks John,
I had put all my plans on hold,handed in my notice,started working again,part time,
I'll need to bite the bullet and get going again!
Bill

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Rich 1
I see you live in the Lake District...what a place
One of our favourite stomping grounds!
Thanks Annettte - yes, we are very lucky. We have our own little piece of heaven in a remote valley near Haweswater :)

Hey,

Thanks John - that's really interesting...and has thrown spanner into my plans! I live in the Lakes and hadn't considered that option which would be very simple for me too:)

Ah ideal.

No not at all, it’s all really above board. You just need to make sure you take a face mask as they’ll not give you one and deny you boarding otherwise.
Good morning John,keep us posted on how you get on,
I was too excited to sleep last night,I'm probably going to be a few weeks behind you,
Going to speak to work this morning!
Bill

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Seems a bit premature....
I think we also need to consider those whom we will come into contact with.
I am waiting for the Foreign Office advice to change before I go. At that stage I will be comfortable with following the requirements (at a minimum) of the Spanish government and any businesses I deal with. Sensitivity and care is required but there is a point where the economic damage may become permanent and that has to be balanced against the current levels of infection which will be managed by social distancing, masks etc.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hey,

Hi John, good luck on your travels, how has your experience been of Albergue distancing measures. I was planning to walk before covid and now it is here I'm unsure. In the UK it seems yha are not open to individuals. I'm interested to know how the Alberge are managing things.

On the UK Govt travel advice website under Spain it clearly states ""Covid 19 exceptional travel advisory notice. The Foreign and Commonwealth Office currently advises British Nationals against all but essential International Travel".
Seems a bit premature....
I think we also need to consider those whom we will come into contact with.

That official message merely says 'travel only if it is essential.' The lack of insurance is only a consequence of that, not the reason Her Majesty's government advises against international travel.

There are plenty of reasons not to go just yet; they have everything to do with Spain and nothing to do with us, beginning with these folks:

If you've already had covid-19 and know that you are not a possible carrier, Buen Camino! I am sure I am shouting into a headwind at this point, but I think caution is wise, at least for the immediate time being.

Last edited:
That official message merely says 'travel only if it is essential.' The lack of insurance is only a consequence of that, not the reason Her Majesty's government advises against international travel.

There are plenty of reasons not to go just yet; they have everything to do with Spain and nothing to do with us, beginning with these folks:

If you've already had covid-19 and know that you are not a possible carrier, Buen Camino! I am sure I am shouting into a headwind at this point, but I think the rest of us need to be more cautious, at least for the immediate time being.

In all honesty, i think that we just have to accept that folk will have their own opinions on the matter, and it’s probably best to let people make their own decisions based upon the facts without too much preaching, as there’s plenty of that to go around already via the media. I’d also say that based on the fact that no-one here so far has suggested breaking any rules, or law, it’s probs best to just live and let live really.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I’d also say that based on the fact that no-one here so far has suggested breaking any rules, or law, it’s probs best to just live and let live really.
Laws are one thing, and they are a scaffold to guide our decisions. Then our hearts come into the picture to flesh out what we actually do. I was beseeching, rather than preaching - there is little lost by waiting a little while longer. What we offer others by doing that is safety.

Everyone's decision will be different, certainly. But the pandemic is far from over, no matter what we all wish were the case.

It's a confusing issue isn't it? Within the space of a few posts in this thread, I have read about the UK government advising its citizens "Do not travel", and its citizens reporting how seamlessly they are travelling despite this advice.

It's a confusing issue isn't it? Within the space of a few posts in this thread, I have read about the UK government advising its citizens "Do not travel", and its citizens reporting how seamlessly they are travelling despite this advice.
The UK never closed its borders during the pandemic so it has been a question of transport availability and the willingness of the country at the other end to let people in. Spain started accepting people from the UK at the weekend. The FCO publishes advice not diktats. The huge problem with going against their advice is that you risk invalidating your travel insurance,

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As of yesterday there were a couple of flights from my local regional Airport - Bristol. Two were to Spain (Alicante and Malaga) both Ryanair. EasyJet were flying to Glasgow. Easyjet just cancelled the flights my partner and me had back from Portugal ( In the pre covid universe that was meant to be a weekend in Porto following my completion of The Camino Portuguese). So H M Govt advise no travel, Spain will allow entry to walk Camino's, Easyjet (Luton based) are not flying outside UK, Ryanair (Dublin based) are still flying limited routes. Oh and I still cannot get any travel insurance.
Clear, simple really and I thought confusion was simply a symptom of post retirement life.
Don.

I've got the potential to have 7 days of walking in 11 days time, and already carefully watching flights. At this time of the year I would strongly not recommend the Plata as the heat would be terrible, and even if you start walking really early, it's not much fun being stuck in a tent or albergue from midday each day. The Frances can be pretty hot at this time also, although there is much more infrastructure to manage it. I'm planning on the Norte, and keeping my eye on flights from the UK to either Bilbao, San Sebastian, Santander, Oviedo, Santiago, or Madrid. Whichever works out to the cheapest will determine where I walk on the Northern, because it's all wonderful. The San Salvador and Ingles would be great at this time as well.

€46,-
It's a confusing issue isn't it?
Yes! It seems I can travel to Spain easily but can't travel to the nearest shop without being questioned if I have a valid reason to travel further than 5 miles. :)

I've got the potential to have 7 days of walking in 11 days time, and already carefully watching flights. At this time of the year I would strongly not recommend the Plata as the heat would be terrible, and even if you start walking really early, it's not much fun being stuck in a tent or albergue from midday each day. The Frances can be pretty hot at this time also, although there is much more infrastructure to manage it. I'm planning on the Norte, and keeping my eye on flights from the UK to either Bilbao, San Sebastian, Santander, Oviedo, Santiago, or Madrid. Whichever works out to the cheapest will determine where I walk on the Northern, because it's all wonderful. The San Salvador and Ingles would be great at this time as well.

i would love to do the norte, looks amazing! Considering adding it on to the end of the VDLP in reverse ifI still have the energy 😂

i would love to do the norte, looks amazing! Considering adding it on to the end of the VDLP in reverse ifI still have the energy 😂
How's the VDLP going? It must be so hot there now. Where are you up to? I did a lot of it in winter and it was amazing - until it got too snowy in Salamanca. I'm not sure I'd like to do the Norte in reverse. How long might you have to walk the Norte after you finish the VDLP?

Wow
A lot of communication
Back to where to ?
Best to fly to Bilbao and somehow get to Roncevalles.
You know Francés.
You like Francés.
Best to stick there with your tent snd good accomodation when you need it
Good luck
X

I'm actually going to fly to Madrid and bus back to Pamplona, then walk from there.
I live in the Lake District - so flying from Manchester to Madrid is easiest (and cheapest!).
...sorted :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

This time last year we walked the del Norte starting at San Sebastián and forgeing onto the Primitivo at Oviedo. You would probably be better to start at Balboa as others have suggested. There is plenty of accommodation, both Albergues and hotels along the way. Probably contacting one or two of them would help you find out if the route is viable. It’s a beautiful trip by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back