• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Traveling from USA, Houston to SJPP,

Foofoo

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to go in may (2017)
Hello,
I am planning to do the walk starting in SJPP .
What is the best rout to get to St. jean from Houston? Can I purchase my connection ticket from Houston?
Any other tips and suggestions are welcome!
Thank you in advance

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
People who have only flown into Madrid to get to SJPP will tell you that Madrid is the only way to go. People who have only flown into Paris to get to SJPP will tell you that Paris the only way to go. I've flown into both. I much greatly prefer making my way to SJPP from Paris. The reality is that neither way is quick and easy, but going through Paris takes less time.

People who have only flown into Madrid to get to SJPP will tell you that Madrid is the only way to go. People who have only flown into Paris to get to SJPP will tell you that Paris the only way to go. I've flown into both. I much greatly prefer making my way to SJPP from Paris. The reality is that neither way is quick and easy, but going through Paris takes less time.
Thank you Robert.
Where did you travel to from Paris? And what is the best transportation to use ? Bus, train or fly ?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I flew into Madrid for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I had a friend there that I could leave my suitcase with pre and post Camino clothes. Second, I can speak some Spanish, but no French beyond merci. :)

I'm going to walk again this summer, and a friend is joining me for about 10 days. It made a lot more sense for us to fly into and out of Madrid (where she will leave a suitcase at our hotel), because we don't know exactly where we will end up when she needs to return home, and getting to Madrid from anywhere along the first half of the Camino shouldn't be too difficult.

Hello,
What is the best rout to get to St. jean from Houston? Can I purchase my connection ticket from Houston?
Thank you in advance

Hello fellow Houstonian!
My last camino, summer 2015, was the Norte. We flew into Barcelona, which is a wonderful city to spend a couple days in before walking. I OD'd on Gaudi, and (because I was the best girlfriend ever) we saw Messi score 2 goals, and celebrated Xavi's retirement, at Camp Nou (the best Christmas present my ex will ever get, ever).

It was an easy train ride to Pamplona, where we were picked up and stayed the night at the lovely Corazon Puro, with the lovely Istvan and Barbara, who drove us to SJPdP the next morning. (We then walked the GR-10 to Hendaye to start the Norte.)

This summer I'm flying into Madrid, but heading south to start walking from Almeria.

Wherever you fly into, yes, you can purchase your bus/train connections in advance online.

Cheers!

I flew into Madrid for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I had a friend there that I could leave my suitcase with pre and post Camino clothes. Second, I can speak some Spanish, but no French beyond merci. :)

I'm going to walk again this summer, and a friend is joining me for about 10 days. It made a lot more sense for us to fly into and out of Madrid (where she will leave a suitcase at our hotel), because we don't know exactly where we will end up when she needs to return home, and getting to Madrid from anywhere along the first half of the Camino shouldn't be too difficult.
Thank you
Hello fellow Houstonian!
My last camino, summer 2015, was the Norte. We flew into Barcelona, which is a wonderful city to spend a couple days in before walking. I OD'd on Gaudi, and (because I was the best girlfriend ever) we saw Messi score 2 goals, and celebrated Xavi's retirement, at Camp Nou (the best Christmas present my ex will ever get, ever).

It was an easy train ride to Pamplona, where we were picked up and stayed the night at the lovely Corazon Puro, with the lovely Istvan and Barbara, who drove us to SJPdP the next morning. (We then walked the GR-10 to Hendaye to start the Norte.)

This summer I'm flying into Madrid, but heading south to start walking from Almeria.

Wherever you fly into, yes, you can purchase your bus/train connections in advance online.

Cheers!

Greatly appriciate your help

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
People who have only flown into Paris and then flown out of Paris to Biarritz will tell you that its the only way to go. But I count the time spent switching airports in Paris, going through security, and sitting while waiting for your plane to board as time spent getting to SJPP. Yes, the flight from Orly to Bairritz is only an hour. But the time spend horsing around getting from CDG to Orly counts as well. I prefer landing at CDG, taking a taxi to the Montparnasse train station, boarding a high speed train to Bayonne and then taking a taxi to SJPP. When you count ALL the time spent doing it both ways, one is shorter and simpler. And with jet lag, simple is way better. But again, people who have only done it one way will tell you that it's the only way to go.

I just wanted to point out that unfortunately Corazon Puro is not an option this year, as Istvan and Barbara were needed back home in Hungary, so are not opening this season.:(

I just wanted to point out that unfortunately Corazon Puro is not an option this year, as Istvan and Barbara were needed back home in Hungary, so are not opening this season.:(

Oh, what a loss for the camino! I hope they are OK?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Critical factors

SJPdP is connected to Bayonne by SNCF train 4 times daily all year.

SJPdP is connected to Pamplona by CONDA (ALSA) bus on seasonal basis. Last summer there were 4 daily during July and August. The first bus is on the schedule in March.

Santiago Labacolla Airport has flights to Madrid, London, Dublin, Paris and others.

Santiago is connected to the rest of Spain by Renfe train.

Getting to SJPdP is half the equation ... getting home is the other half.

Airports

Biarritz Airport BIQ is the closest airport to SJPdP. Chronoplus bus #14 from Anglet Airport to Gare Bayonne. There are flights from Madrid, London, Paris, Dublin and several other major cities in Europe.

San Sebastian Airport EAS is located 5 km from Gare d'Hendaye. There are flights to Madrid and Barcelona.

Pamplona Airport PNA has flights to Madrid.

AENA manages all airports in Spain. If you want airport information search AENA and the city you want to fly into.

ANA manages all airports in Portugal including Porto and Lisboa.

Paris has two airports; Charles de Gaulle and Orly.

Trains

SNCF connects to everywhere France. Points of interest are border crossing at Irun/Hendaye, Bayonne, and SJPdP. Paris has several train stations; TGV trains to Bayonne leave from CDG 2, Gare Montparnasse, TGV Massy. Intercites trains leave from Gare d'Austerlitz. There is a fast train from Barcelona to Paris.

Renfe connects to everywhere in Spain. Points of interest are Madrid, Pamplona, Barcelona, Santiago. There is a train connecting Vigo to Oporto and another from Vigo to Valenca.

CP connects to everywhere in Portugal. There is an overnight train from Lisboa and Oporto to Gare d'Hendaye in France.

Bus

CONDA (ALSA) provides bus service from Pamplona to SJPdP

Autocares PLM connects Avenida de America Madrid to Pamplona.

ALSA connects Avenida de America Madrid to Pamplona via Soria or Zaragosa. Several buses pick up at Madrid Airport T4. ALSA connects Barcelona Estacio Nord to Pamplona via Zaragosa. ALSA is one of the larger bus companies in Spain and provides bus service to large sections of the camino including Santiago. ALSA is a majority stakeholder in CONDA.

Monbus connects Barcelona Sants to Pamplona. Monbus operates a lot of the bus routes in Galicia.

Transports64 bus #816 connects Hendaye to Bayonne.

PESA and ALSA connect San Sebastian to Bayonne.

There are bus companies serving most towns and villages along the camino. Usually they connect major hubs such as Pamplona to Logrono and stop at any villages along the route.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Robert.
Where did you travel to from Paris? And what is the best transportation to use ? Bus, train or fly ?

Air France Hop from Paris CDG and Orly to Biarritz. Note the travel time from CDG to Orly is approx 1h30. The travel time does not include all the rest of the time needed for deplaning at CDG and boarding at Orly.

Easy Jet has flights from CDG to Biarritz.

Biarritz/Anglet is connected to Gare Bayonne by #14 Chronoplus bus.

SNCF trains go from CDG2, Gare Montparnasse, and Massy to Bayonne and terminate in Irun/Hendaye.

SNCF TER trains go from Bayonne to SJPdP.

Best option depends on your schedule and budget.

Flights are an issue because (anecdotally) arrival times are often too late to catch the last train to SJPdP. In which case the best option is to stay in Bayonne and catch the 0745 train from Bayonne to SJPdP. This option leaves enough time to walk from SJPdP to Roncesvalles.

There is Express Bourricot, a private hire taxi based in SJPdP that caters to Pilgrims. Price goes down as number of passengers goes up.

What is the best rout to get to St. jean from Houston?

We flew into Barcelona, which is a wonderful city to spend a couple days in before walking. I OD'd on Gaudi,

Barcelona is one of the most visited cities in Europe and there are reasons for that. Peg and I started and finished our camino with flights into and out of Barcelona taking a RENFE train between Barcelona and Pamplona. We had been in Barcelona back in 1988 and had to return again for our second trip to Spain.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello,
Thank you in advance

Look at Norwegian Airlines prices, they are usually amazingly low, we will be flying them again this fall . We flew into CDG airport in Paris from Miami, took a train to Bordeaux and from Bordeaux took a bus/train to SJJP. We booked train at the station, , bus tickets you buy at the station also, but Orisson we booked well in advance from States paying for it at time of booking to guarantee our place.

Buen Camino :)

This article says that Norwegian Airlines will be offering twice-weekly service between Fort Lauderdale and Barcelona starting August 22.

They use new Boeing 787's, but they pack you in like sardines in a can, but the price makes it worth the "canned" feel. Sept. 2016 we booked round trip airfare for two of us for just under $700.00 into CDG and flying the return out of Malaga through Gatwick to Orlando,Fl.. The flight home was easier as we were much thinner after walking the Frances ...lol This year our return home will be open so no pricing yet, but our airfare to Stockholm for 2017 is $149.00 each. Norwegian Airlines has put out media releases where they are going to try $69.00 airfares to Europe this year sometime, one can only hope. Bags are extra of course and so are meals, water and seat selection. We kept is basic , took water and food on the flight we bought on the secure side of the TSA. :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I've gotten to SJPdP from flying to both Paris and Madrid, and found the Madrid route much easier and faster.
When I did it from Paris I caught the train to SJPdP with train changes in Bordeaux and Bayonne.
When I flew in to Madrid I took the ALSA bus from the airport to Pamplona (after bus change in Soria), and then changed buses in Pamplona and on to SJPdP.
The ALSA bus from Madrid to SJPdP was definitely the less expensive option and getting on the bus was just a matter of walking out the terminal, going about 50 meters and boarding the bus.
I found the Madrid option to be faster in getting to SJPdP because I arrived late in the day in Paris and didn't catch the train until the next morning. I suppose if you arrive in Paris early enough, you could catch a train that same day or maybe even fly out to Biarritz/Bayonne that same day.
I've even looked into flying into Dublin from New Orleans and catching a flight from there into Biarritz/Bayonne the same morning I arrive. I've found for me the flights from New Orleans to Dublin are definitely the less expensive of the three (Madrid, Paris, Dublin).
A lot of options in getting to SJPdP. How you do it is a matter of time, tastes and economics.
ultreia

Hello,
Thank you in advance
I'm flying from Richmond, VA to Pamplona, and then I'm planning on a bus or train to SJPP. Pamplona seems pretty close to SJPP. I got a round trip ticket because I'm hiking for two weeks only, and getting back to Pamplona will also be easy from Logrono, or thereabouts, I think. I don't want to give myself a schedule. My goal is to eventually complete the CF route doing a little each year. Buen Camino!

Look at Norwegian Airlines prices, they are usually amazingly low, we will be flying them again this fall . We flew into CDG airport in Paris from Miami, took a train to Bordeaux and from Bordeaux took a bus/train to SJJP. We booked train at the station, , bus tickets you buy at the station also, but Orisson we booked well in advance from States paying for it at time of booking to guarantee our place.

Buen Camino :)
can i ask what route you took home. we will be flying from Barbados to miami and then to Madrid. We thought it would be easier for the return journey as Madrid would be a easier to get to then Paris or Barcelona. appreciate your response thanks

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello,
Thank you in advance

Hi... I just made my reservations for May 31st from LA (can't see that it would be that different than from Houston)... I have a direct flight to Madrid, then connecting into Pamplona. I will figure out how to get to SJPdP later (probably by bus but I haven't gotten that far yet). I considered Paris, but I've been to the airport and it was very overwhelming. I speak no French and very little Spanish (very little). I just felt better by going through Madrid. But everyone is different :rolleyes:

can i ask what route you took home. we will be flying from Barbados to miami and then to Madrid. We thought it would be easier for the return journey as Madrid would be a easier to get to then Paris or Barcelona. appreciate your response thanks

We made our way down from, Santiago to Porto to Lisbon to Seville to Malaga via bus & train(sight seeing at this point for 14 days), from Malaga ($28 US) we flew to London's Gatwick had a four hour layover and then flew to Orlando Florida.

Hi... I just made my reservations for May 31st from LA (can't see that it would be that different than from Houston)... I have a direct flight to Madrid, then connecting into Pamplona. I will figure out how to get to SJPdP later (probably by bus but I haven't gotten that far yet). I considered Paris, but I've been to the airport and it was very overwhelming. I speak no French and very little Spanish (very little). I just felt better by going through Madrid. But everyone is different :rolleyes:
I found the Madrid airport to be very user friendly. Easy to get around and overall, not that big.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I found the Madrid airport to be very user friendly. Easy to get around and overall, not that big.

That's what I'm hoping for. Even though I have a connecting flight to Pamplona and won't be in Madrid all that long, I just didn't want to use up my whole layover time trying to find the right departure gate. I nearly did that in France :confused:

That's what I'm hoping for. Even though I have a connecting flight to Pamplona and won't be in Madrid all that long, I just didn't want to use up my whole layover time trying to find the right departure gate. I nearly did that in France :confused:
I would definitely go to your departure gate immediately after you arrive.

As a thought, I am flying from Atlanta to Madrid, then taking an Iberian flight to Biarritz then a taxi to SJPP.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Lots of great advice and lots of specific suggestions, so I'll just add one general suggestion. I think it's worthwhile to consider the return trip home as well as the outbound trip to Paris or Madrid or wherever. I only have access to one airline in my little town, so I am always flying American/Iberia. That actually works out great for me, because I find that I can always get a continuation of my ticket to a place closer to my starting point, and that I can start my return trip in Santiago with a flight to Madrid. If you can fly on a One World Alliance airline, you are likely to find that it adds very little to your ticket to add on those other flights. That saves a LOT of travel time. Sometimes I want to spend a few days in Madrid at the end, but if I don't, flying in the early morning out of Santiago and connecting to the flight to Chicago in Madrid means I don't have to spend a night in a hotel in Madrid just to get to my flight in the morning. You can find prices by using the "multi city option" at an online booking site.

And one other really important advantage of having these domestic flights as part of your international ticket -- if my flight from Santiago is late and I miss my flight out of Madrid, it is the airline's job to rebook me and get me home. If you buy two separate tickets and you miss the next flight, that is your problem, and it is likely to be a very expensive one! Buen camino, Laurie

I am not a Houstonian, but my whole family lives there. I am flying from Houston to Madrid with a connection in Atlanta on April 10, 2017. I have a train ticket to Pamplona and will try to get over the jet lag there overnight. Plan to try and share a cab or take the bus to SJDP the next morning. I'm so excited!!!

I am not a Houstonian, but my whole family lives there. I am flying from Houston to Madrid with a connection in Atlanta on April 10, 2017. I have a train ticket to Pamplona and will try to get over the jet lag there overnight. Plan to try and share a cab or take the bus to SJDP the next morning. I'm so excited!!!

Issue is that there will only be one bus daily from Pamplona to SJPdP 10 April. It leaves at 1430.

You might want to consider changing train ticket to Irun/Hendaye and stay there for the night.

There are early SNCF trains from Hendaye to Bayonne that will get you there in time to catch the first train to SJPdP. It leaves Bayonne for SJPdP at 0745 arr 0845. That leaves enough time for walking to Roncevalles. There are 4 trains Bayonne to SJPdP daily all year.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Issue is that there will only be one bus daily from Pamplona to SJPdP 10 April. It leaves at 1430.

You might want to consider changing train ticket to Irun/Hendaye and stay there for the night.

There are early SNCF trains from Hendaye to Bayonne that will get you there in time to catch the first train to SJPdP. It leaves Bayonne for SJPdP at 0745 arr 0845. That leaves enough time for walking to Roncevalles
Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not in a big rush in Pamplona. I'm treating myself to a hotel that night and plan to sleep a little later one last time before I start walking. Then want to get a phone card and ship my post Camino suitcase to Ivar. That might take some time. If I can share a cab with other peregrines to SJDP, I'd love to make new friends. If not, I'll just wait for the bus. Buen Camino!

Last year my wife and I flew Tucson-Dallas-Paris. In Paris we had issues at the CDG airport because of the language...nobody wanted to speak English or Spanish. A Stewardess from Air France recommended we board a bus at the airport for a Downtown train station and buy ourr Paris to Bayonne ticket. The trip is long because you must cross half the country and most persons are laden with lots of luggage. Once in Bayonne, we waited about two hours and started to see persons with back packs. I will say, the whole ordeal from Paris airport to SJPP took us from mid morning to about 9PM. I highly recommend you get Euros in the US because at a cash machine in CDG with a debit card cost me USD 65.00. At BofA in Tucson, one can get up to USD 3,000 for only 7 dollars. With a US debit card one ends up paying 3%.

We will go to the French Way again this year, maybe March or April but we will fly Hermosillo, Mexico to Phoenix and then on to Madrid with a possible connection to Biarritz. Once there, we will either stay over night or make it all the waty to SJPP:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm also from Houston and walking the Camino first time starting St. Jean on April 12th. Here is my already booked schedules, hopefully help you for your arrangements. 1)Houston to Paris via Philadelphia. 2) take bus from the airport to Montparnasse. 3) TGV train to Bayonne, a direct line. 4)local train from Bayonne to St. Jean on the same day. The returning from Santiago after all walks is to take a bus to Santiago airport and fly to Paris( arranged by Vueling), stay in hotel near the airport overnight and fly back to Houston by British Air. All these transportations are already booked through online easily and cheaply. I think these connections are the most convenient to me and if you act soon, you will be able to get low fares. Hope this will help you.
BUEN CAMINO!!

Hello,
Thank you in advance
I've done the Frances 3 times and from Houston I have always gone to Madrid through Newark. If you get a flight that arrives early enough in Madrid, you have time to take the train from Atocha station to Pamplona and get the last bus from there to St Jean. Buen Camino

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not in a big rush in Pamplona. I'm treating myself to a hotel that night and plan to sleep a little later one last time before I start walking. Then want to get a phone card and ship my post Camino suitcase to Ivar. That might take some time. If I can share a cab with other peregrines to SJDP, I'd love to make new friends. If not, I'll just wait for the bus. Buen Camino!
I'm also planning to ship my post Camino suitcase to Santiago, either from Madrid before I get on the train, or from Pamplona before getting on the bus to SJPDP. Or I might use the service from Express Bourricot. It's a bit spendy, but sounds like it would be super easy. They have an office in SJPDP, right next to the Pilgrim's Office and you can just drop it off there. Up to 20kg for 70€. And that includes storage in Santiago.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Our second Camino Francés starts on April 3 from Tucson, AZ to Madrid via Dallas. In Madrid we will board a flight to San Sebastian and arrive there at 13:00 hs. The issue here is how we can get to SJPP from there. There were no reservations available Madrid to Biarritz, so this was the closest we could get. Are there Taxis we can share if anyone is going to Bayonne or buses and then grab the train Bayonne to SJPP?

Our second Camino Francés starts on April 3 from Tucson, AZ to Madrid via Dallas. In Madrid we will board a flight to San Sebastian and arrive there at 13:00 hs. The issue here is how we can get to SJPP from there. There were no reservations available Madrid to Biarritz, so this was the closest we could get. Are there Taxis we can share if anyone is going to Bayonne or buses and then grab the train Bayonne to SJPP?

Check this list from Rome2Rio.com of travel possibilities from San Sebastian airport to Saint Jean Pied de Port.

https://www.rome2rio.com/s/San-Sebastian-Airport-EAS/Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I am flying into Madrid and will arrive early morning. My thought is to go directly to Toledo and stay two nights there in a hotel or hostel so that I will have the ability to sleep during the...
Hello, it's been about 7 years since my last Camino, and this will be the first time I have had to book trains within Spain. There seems to be a few different train booking sites. Booking from...
Hello everyone. My husband has been talking about walking this trail for over 35 years —- since he was 20 years old. But, life’s problems alway seem to get in the way, don’t they? He’s been...
Hi I was wondering if anyone was taking the Express Bouricott from Biarritz to SJPP on the afternoon of 27th May as I am looking to join a group booking if possible….many thanks 😊
Would I be able to bring a backpack (size 20 -25 L) into the cabin and hold on to it rather than being forced to put the backpack into the luggage compartment of the bus? I'm reading several...
Looking for suggestions How do I get to Fatima from Lisbon Airport. Thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back