• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Traveling from USA to SJPdP late April 2015

Joyce Clemens

Time of past OR future Camino
planning to walk the camino beginning in late April, coming from USA
Does anyone have a suggestion regarding booking a round trip airline ticket versus one way? I have no clue when I will finish, I expect around June 5th, but I'm not sure.

Do most people book open ended round trip tickets?

Thanks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In general, but exceptions confirm the rule, booking a round ticket is often cheaper. You should be able to book this online with different points of departure like: US to Madrid and for the flight back Santiago to US, the later with transfers obviously. You can play around with skyscanner.net and see what your general options are as a good starting point. Buen Camino! SY

I booked my flight from the U.S. to Pamplona and my return trip from Santiago to the U.S.
I added a few days to how long I think it will take me to walk the whole Camino.
Nice to have a small cushion for rest days or sightseeing or those unplanned "bonuses". ;)

Cheers,
Laurel

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Does anyone have a suggestion regarding booking a round trip airline ticket versus one way? I have no clue when I will finish, I expect around June 5th, but I'm not sure.

Thanks!
You are so kind to reply! I looked at Skyscanner.net. I definitely will build in an extra 2 days for rest or unforeseen circumstances. But won't I be booking two one way tickets? One from home to STJPdP and one from Santiago back home? Is there a way to do this on a round trip ticket?

Is there a way to do this on a round trip ticket?
On most airline websites there is an option for multiple routes, or a similar name. It will allow you to reserve a flight to Pamplona with a return from Santiago (for example).

I purchased a round trip ticket: Minneapolis to Paris there and Madrid to Minnapolis on the return. That cost no more than roundtrip to and from the same city would have cost. And way less expensive than buying two one-way tickets would have been. I built in a couple of extra days, which then allowed me to go to Finisterre.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I booked my flight from the U.S. to Pamplona and my return trip from Santiago to the U.S.
I added a few days to how long I think it will take me to walk the whole Camino.
Nice to have a small cushion for rest days or sightseeing or those unplanned "bonuses". ;)

Cheers,
Laurel
How do you plan on getting from Pamplona to SJPdP, I am flying into Pamplona and taking a bus to SJPdP, but can not find a site to purchase my ticket.

I have booked Corazon Puro for my first night in Pamplona. They provide transport to SJPDP the following morning.

Only 2 days of cushion? If you do not have the time, it is understandable. However, anything can happen during the thirty some days. If you can add 4-5 days of cushion and you have that much time left over when you arrive at Santiago, you can go on to Finisterre/Muxia. That is what I have done, and it was like a bonus. I do not know about others, but when I arrived at Santiago, I did not want to stop walking after 33 days.

I did what Ahhhs did; stayed in Pamplona at Corazon Puro and was driven to sjpdp the next morning. It will be great if you plan to stop at Orrison the first day because by the time you get to sjpdp about 8 in the morning, most pilgrims have left already, and you have a long and the most difficult day of Camino France if you want to go Roncesvalle. Remember, no place to stop once you pass Orrison until you get to Roncesvalle.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Thanks!
I'm planning my trip around the same time and reading through the comments now on how to avoid the higher cost of one-way tickets. The websites that I have visited thus far don't allow me to consider this a round trip. I'm still trying to figure it out. I plan to begin around April 20 - 25 and finish around June 1 - 5.

It looks like my options are to book a round trip from US to Madrid, then use train transport or bus transport from there?

I'm planning my trip around the same time and reading through the comments now on how to avoid the higher cost of one-way tickets. The websites that I have visited thus far don't allow me to consider this a round trip. I'm still trying to figure it out. I plan to begin around April 20 - 25 and finish around June 1 - 5.

It looks like my options are to book a round trip from US to Madrid, then use train transport or bus transport from there?
I don't have an answer but for those who might be able help you, what website(s) are you consulting? Someone may suggest a better site for you;).

Most read last week in this forum

I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
We are leaving May 4th for the Camino, starting in Ponferrada. I tried online to book the Correos Pac Monchila luggage transfer service and it provided a drop down list box of specific...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back