• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Traveling in October/I hope

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2023 Vasco, Meseta, Portugues Coastal
Obviously the last year has had so many challenges and many of the old rules no longer apply. I have no idea if things will return as they were or things will be different. I have been fully vaccinated and I am watching as things unfold in Spain and the rest of the EU. I have just one question that I hope someone can answer based on something that they have read from a reputable source or someone who is in or knows someone in the travel industry.
At this time I am hoping for a October 10ish start from Sevilla to Santiago. In the past there have always been guidance on the internet from travel sources on when the best time to book a flight is. Now everything is in turmoil. I live in Mexico and have usually flown on Iberia as I have consistently gotten the best fares and they continue to guarantee that someone can change the dates of their flights or get a voucher if anything changes within 15 day of the date of departure.
My question is if anyone can direct me to a website that is tracking the information regarding when to book? I have signed up to Skyscanner and a few other sights that will notify me about price changes. Does anyone have any other ideas? Every peso counts in my budget. Thanks so much

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Purely my own opinion.

I booked flights to Madrid from the UK in October a couple of months ago. Clearly thatā€™s not such a significant investment as youā€™re looking to make. My decision was largely to get something in the diary to look forward to, accepting the possibility that it may not be possible. I now think my chances are better than 50:50 and rising.

The price I got was about half the fare I last paid in 2019 (where did 2020 go?), and on that basis I think I got a good deal.

Nobody can predict whether non-essential travel will be permitted in October, and IMHO, previous experience of how prices will move is not relevant. Too much has changed.

I appreciate that your situation is not mine, but if I were you ... if current pricing is meaningfully lower than youā€™ve paid in the past, and you can get a refundable ticket, Iā€™d get it booked.

Iā€™ve also been vaccinated today (first of two) and Iā€™m verging on happy.

Purely my own opinion.

I booked flights to Madrid from the UK in October a couple of months ago. Clearly thatā€™s not such a significant investment as youā€™re looking to make. My decision was largely to get something in the diary to look forward to, accepting the possibility that it may not be possible. I now think my chances are better than 50:50 and rising.

The price I got was about half the fare I last paid in 2019 (where did 2020 go?), and on that basis I think I got a good deal.

Nobody can predict whether non-essential travel will be permitted in October, and IMHO, previous experience of how prices will move is not relevant. Too much has changed.

I appreciate that your situation is not mine, but if I were you ... if current pricing is meaningfully lower than youā€™ve paid in the past, and you can get a refundable ticket, Iā€™d get it booked.

Glad you got a good fare and more importantly got your first vaccine. Right now the prices are about the same. Last two times I flew to Madrid and then took a train to San Sebastian or plane/bus to St. Jean in November. So this time I checked to Sevilla so that adds an extra stop
So it is all guess work but I think it is about the same. I took a flight from Madrid to Pamplona and it was about 20E in November 2019. Pretty good fare I would say.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
if anyone can direct me to a website that is tracking the information regarding when to book?
The "when-to-book" advice is entirely based on the pricing fluctuations, supply and demand of the past, so you will need to compare with previous pandemics to get meaningful recommendations. Nobody has any idea how the supply and demand numbers will work out for the next year, and how the airlines will respond! Maybe the sports betting sites have looked at the odds.

Henrythedog had reasonable advice. I just had a look at my own usual flight arrangements using a major airline and found that the fares seem to be slightly lower than before, and the change provisions slightly relaxed. However, I am not booking anything until we are generally out of the pandemic.

This is my speculation: overall demand for flights is very low at present, most of us canā€™t go anywhere šŸ˜Ÿ
The algorithms that drive airline pricing are based on the premise that increased demand equals increased price. Now would probably be a good time to buy. Just check the refund/re-date policy carefully and buy from the airline, not a secondary seller.

I am hoping for August/September and that is from the UK, it may be too early but then I feel any later and you are running into problems and restrictions again for Autumn, which has been talked about today in the UK. Even 2022 is not a definite, I feel if there is a window to go then and you are able to take it then go.
Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've booked a flight to Madrid in early October. Very tentatively. I'm in Ireland so very different from your situation as the cost is minimal. But the hope is huge.
I'll walk the Frances from Burgos as that is where my camino in March 2020 stopped because of Covid. Walking for my partner (now back in Australia) and my friend recently diagnosed with early dementia.
Who knows what lies ahead in the next few months - but it's good to hope and plan. Best, best wishes for all of us.

Another consideration; due to decreased demand, there is also a decreased number of flights operating.
Airlines may be showing schedules but that is no guarantee the actual flight will go ahead. If the airline hasn't sold sufficient seats for a particular flight, it may be cancelled, re-scheduled or you could be bumped to a different flight.
So, it's not only the airlines having to provide a bit of flexibility with ticketing rules (refunds, flight credits, etc) but passengers will need to be flexible too!
For now, booking is still a gamble (completely off the table for Aussies with our international border still slammed shut) so @lt56ny, unless you are comfortable with a wide-ranging set of issues (including financial implications), look before you leap! šŸ˜
Best wishes, I hope it works out for you.
šŸ‘£ šŸŒ

Last edited:
ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Another consideration; due to decreased demand, there is also a decreased number of flights operating.
Airlines may be showing schedules but that is no guarantee the actual flight will go ahead. If the airline hasn't sold sufficient seats for a particular flight, it may be cancelled, re-scheduled or you could be bumped to a different flight.
So, it's not only the airlines having to provide a bit of flexibility with ticketing rules (refunds, flight credits, etc) but passengers will need to be flexible too!
For now, booking is still a gamble (completely off the table for Aussies with our international border still slammed shut) so @lt56ny, unless you are comfortable with a wide-ranging set of issues (including financial implications), look before you leap! šŸ˜
Best wishes, I hope it works out for you.
šŸ‘£ šŸŒ
Some great points Kaz. Back in the day when I flew several times each week cancellations on short-haul were fairly common. It was quite amazing how, purely coincidentally, everyone from the earlier flight fitted onto the next scheduled flight.

You are no more limited in Oz than many other countries. We in the UK are basically prohibited from international travel also. That didnā€™t stop me booking - but the cost is not so significant as it would be you.

Some great points Kaz. Back in the day when I flew several times each week cancellations on short-haul were fairly common. It was quite amazing how, purely coincidentally, everyone from the earlier flight fitted onto the next scheduled flight.

You are no more limited in Oz than many other countries. We in the UK are basically prohibited from international travel also. That didnā€™t stop me booking - but the cost is not so significant as it would be you.
I still have zero confidence in booking any international travel despite mutterings about our (Aussie) international border possibly partly re-opening in June & then perhaps further in October.
I have booked to go to Melbourne end of April...I never thought crossing Bass Strait would feel like such a leap! šŸ˜„
My, how our perceptions have changed... the world now feels a lot bigger to me & my walking journeys seem like another lifetime.
Good things come to those who wait...& wait we shall have to..some more impatiently than others! šŸ¤­ šŸ˜‡
Precious passport validity still ticking away...
šŸ‘£ šŸŒ

This is my speculation: overall demand for flights is very low at present, most of us canā€™t go anywhere šŸ˜Ÿ
The algorithms that drive airline pricing are based on the premise that increased demand equals increased price. Now would probably be a good time to buy. Just check the refund/re-date policy carefully and buy from the airline, not a secondary seller.
Just check the refund/re-date policy carefully and buy from the airline, not a secondary seller
Thanks Tinca. I think this is really important. I have been burned twice by Kiwi and cheap tickets because of weather related issues. I now only book directly with the airline I am going to fly.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

ā‚¬149,-
IT56ny,

How wonderful it is to read of your planning at last!

Many pilgrims in past years have found autumn to be a GREAT time for walking. October days are generally gloriously sunny and nights cool; perfect walking weather.

To_Castrojeriz_a_golden_morning.jpg

Check out these earlier Forum topics for lots of helpful info; see September- October and walking in October- November.

Happy planning and eventuel Buen Camino

Last edited:
I think this is really important. I have been burned twice by Kiwi
If you check out the TripAdvisor Air Travel forum you will find that Kiwi probably has the worst reputation of all online ticket sellers.

Glad you got a good fare and more importantly got your first vaccine. Right now the prices are about the same. Last two times I flew to Madrid and then took a train to San Sebastian or plane/bus to St. Jean in November. So this time I checked to Sevilla so that adds an extra stop
So it is all guess work but I think it is about the same. I took a flight from Madrid to Pamplona and it was about 20E in November 2019. Pretty good fare I would say.
Perhaps fly to Lisbon then local flight or train if you have the time to Seville. Itā€™s a shorter overseas flight hence likely cheaper and a nice adventure i onwards to Seville. BTW my Canadian uncle and Aunt (Markowskyā€™s) live in Ajijic already 25 years. Yo vivĆ­ 10 aƱos en Chihuahua.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Obviously the last year has had so many challenges and many of the old rules no longer apply. I have no idea if things will return as they were or things will be different. I have been fully vaccinated and I am watching as things unfold in Spain and the rest of the EU. I have just one question that I hope someone can answer based on something that they have read from a reputable source or someone who is in or knows someone in the travel industry.
At this time I am hoping for a October 10ish start from Sevilla to Santiago. In the past there have always been guidance on the internet from travel sources on when the best time to book a flight is. Now everything is in turmoil. I live in Mexico and have usually flown on Iberia as I have consistently gotten the best fares and they continue to guarantee that someone can change the dates of their flights or get a voucher if anything changes within 15 day of the date of departure.
My question is if anyone can direct me to a website that is tracking the information regarding when to book? I have signed up to Skyscanner and a few other sights that will notify me about price changes. Does anyone have any other ideas? Every peso counts in my budget. Thanks so much
We love Scottā€™s Cheap Flights. You must book fast as most offered go within 1 to 2 days. Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-
Perhaps fly to Lisbon then local flight or train if you have the time to Seville. Itā€™s a shorter overseas flight hence likely cheaper and a nice adventure i onwards to Seville. BTW my Canadian uncle and Aunt (Markowskyā€™s) live in Ajijic already 25 years. Yo vivĆ­ 10 aƱos en Chihuahua.
Hi, Thanks for that. I live in RIberas Del Pilar which is between Ajijic and Chapala. I live about a 3 minute walk to the lake. Maybe I will run into your relatives one day. Anyway I used to live in Puerto Vallarta and before that Mexico City. Almost all European International flights have a stop in either Mexico City or a southern American City. For some reason and I do not know why the round trip flights that I used to book in Puerto Vallarta seem now seem to be more expensive than the flights originating in Guadalajara. (I live about 25 minutes from the Guadalajara airport. I always look at the flights to Lisbon also. Unfortunately this year when I looked GDL/LIS by far it turned out to be the most expensive fare. Who knows how prices will fluctuate in the future. I flew TAP Portugal when I walked the Camino Portuguese back in 2017 and the fare was very reasonable from Puerto Vallarta. Something in the neighborhood of $700US round trip. Lo siento, perf Chihuahua es may peligroso agora. No es bueno para los gringos!

IT56ny,

Many pilgrims in past years have found autumn to be a GREAT time for walking. October days are generally gloriously sunny and nights cool; perfect walking weather.

View attachment 95419

Check out these earlier Forum topics for lots of helpful info; see September- October and walking in October- November.

Thanks I will read these links because I love to read all things Camino too! I have also walked all my Caminos between Late September and December. My last Camino was in Nov/Dec 2019. I wonderful experience. I think there are subtle differences not just in the landscape and weather but also in the Pilgrims the later into fall and early winter you get. I look forward to walking a late winter early spring Camino one day also. Have you found the same to be true regarding my observations?

Purely my own opinion.

If your happy so is the pup! Congrats on your first dose! Got my second10 days ago...almost protected.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

ā‚¬83,-
.....I think there are subtle differences not just in the landscape and weather but also in the Pilgrims the later into fall and early winter you get. I look forward to walking a late winter early spring Camino one day also. Have you found the same to be true regarding my observations?
Indeed.

Whether these conditions will still be found post-pandemic is unknown.

In the happy, easier past years
accommodation started to close mid October but some place was always open. Hospitaleros usually could give advice on who/what was available on the next stage. There were no summer crowds and beds/bunks were available. I usually slept in an albergue, often the sole pilgrim, but also in back rooms of an open bar/restaurant.

Walking off-season during those past years I rarely saw more than 20 pilgrims at one time. There usually was a strong sense of camaraderie amongst those on the route especially during storms or difficult stretches.
Helpful passing strangers also gave advice. Little was hectic; without the hordes of summer all had time to share info.

Nevertheless whatever the "season"
the weather can change quickly.
In March 2009 an unexpected 3 day blizzard struck Foncebadon.
Similarly November 2012 I was caught in a early white-out of snow climbing O Cebreiro.

You must be prepared whenever you walk.

Good luck with your new plans.

Last edited:
Hi I

Thanks for the advice
Beware?
@barnettstakeagiantstep While Scotts Cheap Flights advertises bargain sales, they want you to join to get their ā€œspecial dealsā€ for a FEE! If I have to pay in advance to get their best deals then I go elsewhere

Also as others have warned, booking directly through the airlines avoids a middleman. You do not want to be stranded overseas having to contact the discounter-Who is- in who knows where- and not immediately available by phone for 24hours- to get your ticket changed, while you sit in an overcrowded airport because the airline needs the middleman to OK the change. Oh, and frequently 3rd party discounters will charge you an additional fee for making the change.

Last edited:
I've just had my flight to Porto cancelled (cancelled twice before by the airline) so as @Tassie Kaz says you might book a flight but whether it takes off is another matter.

The other effect of cancellations is any accommodation booking made. So it is going to be a risk whichever way you do it whether you book a flight or accommodation or both.

If you look at the changes in the Italy since February this year, it can get very nasty, very quickly.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Indeed.

accommodation started to close mid October but some place was always open. Hospitaleros usually could give advice on who/what was available on the next stage. There were no summer crowds and beds/bunks were available. I usually slept in an albergue, often the sole pilgrim, but also in back rooms of an open bar/restaurant.

Walking off-season during those past years I rarely saw more than 20 pilgrims at one time. There usually was a strong sense of camaraderie amongst those on the route especially during storms or difficult stretches.
Helpful passing strangers also gave advice. Little was hectic; without the hordes of summer all had time to share info.

Similarly November 2012 I was caught in a early white-out of snow climbing O Cebreiro.

I think you did capture off season walking well. I had an almost exact experience and in the same area when I was in Astorga in 2019. The owner of our albergue said they were sending people back from Rabsnal the night before as there was no where to put pilgrims because the snow prevented further travel. That morning they told the pilgrims in Rabanal if the attempted to climb to Cruz de Ferro and got in trouble no one would come for them as it was deemed to dangerous.

Beware?
@barnettstakeagiantstep While Scotts Cheap Flights advertises bargain sales, they want you to join to get their ā€œspecial dealsā€ for a FEE! If I have to pay in advance to get their best deals then I go elsewhere

Also as others have warned, booking directly through the airlines avoids a middleman. You do not want to be stranded overseas having to contact the discounter-Who is- in knows where- and not immediately available by phone for 24hours- to get your ticket changed, while you sit in an overcrowded airport because the airline needs the middleman to OK the change. Oh, and frequently 3rd party discounters will charge you an additional fee for making the change.
Wiser words have never been spoken. I learned the hard way booking with Kiwi. NEVER again. I only book directly with an airline. It is almost always the best price and even if it isnā€™t I donā€™t have to deal with those jerks. You will see how ā€œhelpfulā€ they are when you have a problem.

Wiser words have never been spoken. I learned the hard way booking with Kiwi. NEVER again. I only book directly with an airline. It is almost always the best price and even if it isnā€™t I donā€™t have to deal with those jerks. You will see how ā€œhelpfulā€ they are when you have a problem.
I find cancellations or delays necessitating a last minute change of flight can be a bit stressful!. But then, add in a 3rd party intermediary during a possible reemergence of a pandemic, or a controllers or airline workers strike or bad weather delays and then šŸ¤ŖšŸ¤Ŗ
If you use Kayak or Skyscanner, they will give you the prices of discounters but also of the airlines as well. Most of the time, they will post similiar prices for airlines as the discounters if you consistently check back daily over a few week period.

Before our Plata walk washed-out for a second time on the same set of tickets >:-( we were going to fly into Madrid, get our Tarjeta Dorada and ride the Ave train to Sevilla. Same amount of time of travel, half the cost of airplane flight to Sevilla from Madrid. (I think that train runs from Atocha, not Chamartin.) There used to be an express bus between Atocha and the airport, I was figuring either that express bus or the metro would cross the city nicely in a reasonable time.
HTH, BC!

PS What happened to the collection of emoticons? I wanted to put "crying" in.

If you use Kayak or Skyscanner, they will give you the prices of discounters but also of the airlines as well. Most of the time, they will post similiar prices for airlines as the discounters if you consistently check back daily over a few week period.
You also have to be aware that those prices from 3rd parties (I wouldn't call them discounters) aren't always accurate because many of them don't have "live" pricing. You may think that you've purchased a ticket for XXX $/Ā£/ā‚¬ but if you read the fine print you have made a booking "request," and the company may contact you to tell you that they weren't able to purchase the tickets at that price, but if you would give them additional $/Ā£/ā‚¬ they will be able to complete the purchase. And when you find out what the "new" price is you discover that it's the same or more than the buying direct from the airline.

Beware?

Also as others have warned, booking directly through the airlines avoids a middleman. You do not want to be stranded overseas having to contact the discounter-Who is- in who knows where- and not immediately available by phone for 24hours- to get your ticket changed, while you sit in an overcrowded airport because the airline needs the middleman to OK the change. Oh, and frequently 3rd party discounters will charge you an additional fee for making the change.
I've used Scott's Cheap Flights for several years now. The fee is $39 for a year and it's saved me a lot more money than that. They don't book the flight for you, they just give you a heads up when cheap tickets are available. There's usually just a small window of time (a day or two) to buy the ticket while the sale is going on (or sometimes they find mistake fairs) but you book your flight directly with the airline (or a middleman if that's what you want, but I don't recommend that either). They send an email with the sale info and a couple of links for finding your own ticket. I usually use google flights. Hope that helps a little.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

ā‚¬83,-
I find cancellations or delays necessitating a last minute change of flight can be a bit stressful!. But then, add in a 3rd party intermediary during a possible reemergence of a pandemic, or a controllers or airline workers strike or bad weather delays and then šŸ¤ŖšŸ¤Ŗ
Yes I have noticed that both of them have links directly to airlines. I have signed up for price alerts on both these sights but when I find a price I believe to be good I will go directly to the airline's website to book it.

IT56ny,

View attachment 95419

Iā€™m planning an October Camino , as well. Arriving in Barcelona from the USA on 9/28, and leaving 10/29, I should have a month to walk. Letā€™s hope I can get a shot soon and Europe reaches herd immunity by thenšŸ™šŸ¼

Iā€™m planning an October Camino , as well. Arriving in Barcelona from the USA on 9/28, and leaving 10/29, I should have a month to walk. Letā€™s hope I can get a shot soon and Europe reaches herd immunity by thenšŸ™šŸ¼
Wherever in the world we may be we share your hope for the possibility of pandemic free life and walking in the not too distant future.
Until then keep on keeping on.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I booked direct with United Airlines 2 weeks ago and when doing so, on their site they give you an option for a fully refundable ticket(s). Yes, this option does cost a bit more to do, but in my opinion it is worth the money spent (and refunded) if a cancellation had to be made. It further reduces the headaches and anxieties that come along with having to "hope" you can get your money back or being provided a long term travel voucher.

My go-to resource now is Google flights. It is infinitely flexible as far as destinations and dates. You can either designate a specific destination -- for example Madrid -- or a whole country or just a geographic region such as Europe or South America. You have to first put in specific dates for travel, but after that you can pull up a comprehensive matrix which lists dates for both departure and arrival to find the cheapest or best combination (assuming you have flexibility). I really like the feature that allows you to look at an entire region, because it allows for spontaneous decisions on destinations when a great price pops up. We have used it that way to go to places we might never have considered otherwise -- "Hey, honey, how'd you like to see Romania?" (Romania was great, BTW). When it first came out I believe you then had to go to the airline's website to actually make the reservation -- now you may be able to make it through Google, although I still prefer dealing with the airline directly for reasons given elsewhere in this thread.

I also use Google Flights to search for flights. If you want even more options you can use ITA Matrix (which is now also owned by Google)

I use google flights , you have a lot of options there .

I also use Google Flights to search for flights. If you want even more options you can use ITA Matrix (which is now also owned by Google)
You need to be a bit of a hacker to get the value of ITA Matrix. I have a feeling that for most members of this forum, Google Search will provide most of the flexibility and power that they want with none of the hassle:

Now if someone could find a replacement for Hipmunk for searching hotels ... I miss that site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-
I booked a couple of months ago to fly from the US to UK to visit friends, then plan to go to Spain to pilgrimage several weeks after that. Afterward I will fly out of Lisbon, after visiting there a few days. The other week I realized that as things stand, if anyone allows Americans to enter Europe this autumn, I will need to COVID test before I leave in order to show London I am well, and because Scotland has its own rules I may or may not, be able to use said test there. When I fly several weeks later to Spain, I 'll need another test and when I enter Portugal before flying home, another test, and to the US, another test, because I will be in various locations longer than 72 hours! What was I thinking??!!

i guess I have more money than brains. I just book with the major airline that flies on the schedule I want.
So do I, but I use Skyscanner or kayak, to check prices. Sometimes, it seems that when I first go to the airlines directly the price is different, higher, though not always. So those other portals are my check.

Last edited:
Sometimes, it seems that when I first go to the airlines directly the price is different, higher, though not always. So those other portals are my check.
To check is always good. But I find that for the same, reasonable direct routing from North America to Spain, the prices are usually similar, wherever you find them. However, on a long complicated trip involving several airlines and continents, the first airline may only offer limited choice of connections.

ā‚¬83,-
To check is always good. But I find that for the same, reasonable direct routing from North America to Spain, the prices are usually similar, wherever you find them. However, on a long complicated trip involving several airlines and continents, the first airline may only offer limited choice of connections.
With regard to complicated itineraries, I agree that the originating airline may not directly offer the multi-destination ticket, but search engines like skyscanner do.

The general rule of thumb I have heard is that the best fares can be found around 7 weeks out. I have rarely found much cheaper fares after that time except for specials and sometimes 3 or 4 days before travel.

It is also worth noting that I have also found that you can get very good prices within 24 hours of travel or 3 days before. For some reason, 2 days before fares tend to be higher.

I find that Expedia almost always has the best fares.

The general rule of thumb I have heard is that the best fares can be found around 7 weeks out. I have rarely found much cheaper fares after that time except for specials and sometimes 3 or 4 days before travel.

It is also worth noting that I have also found that you can get very good prices within 24 hours of travel or 3 days before. For some reason, 2 days before fares tend to be higher.

I find that Expedia almost always has the best fares.

Yes, I have read those theories too! I follow another practice. If you do proper research, and monitor what a reasonable fare is to your particular destination, book it as soon as you can. You may not see it agaiin! If an airline offers a cheaper fare 90 days out and a lot of people buy it, then it will not likely be cheaper 49 days out (supply&demand). And if the plane is sold out a week before, and you are looking for a specific route, you may not get a seat at all, or need to upgrade to get on the plane.

My experience has been that super cheap fares that are optimal routes rarely appear...and if and when they do,book them immediately, regardless of days to departure. When I rarely do see such inexpensive fairs it is normally not where I am planning to go or there are two extra stops adding an additional 15 hours to get to my destination.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Indeed.

This will be our first Camino trip, My son and I are planning to fly out of Atlanta, GA Sept 6th, but we are not sure if we should land in Paris or Madrid for the trip to Saint Jean?

This will be our first Camino trip, My son and I are planning to fly out of Atlanta, GA Sept 6th, but we are not sure if we should land in Paris or Madrid for the trip to Saint Jean?
I think that's a 6 of one, half dozen of the other choice. Paris requires a set of train changes down to Bayonne and Biaritz if I recall correctly. Bordeaux airport is one train to Bayonne and then on to Saint Jean. Madrid requires the train to Pamplona and then a bus to Saint Jean.
If you use Rome2Rio.com, you can look at lots of different options. All require you give yourself roughtly 2 days from your door to the gates of St. Jean.
3 if, like me, you daydream right through the arrival of your evening train, the last of the day, departing from Bordeaux. No matter, I excahnged my ticket for early morning and crashed at the Ibis hotel across the street, and it seemed on that trip that I met all the people I needed to meet to have a successful start out of St. Jean on the train I caught the next day at the Bayonne transfer.

You need to see which way gives you the best connections?

Also explore changing planes and landing in Pamplona, es or Biarritz,Fr.

My two cents: stay away from TAP (airline ofportugal)

If you fly into Pamplona airport, or fly into MAD, taxi to Mad Station (Atoche) and train into Pamplona, you can hire a car service (125ā‚¬) to pick you up in either location there and drive you to SJPdP. i have done it both ways, via Paris and MAD and found it easier to go to MAD rather than Paris.
Arriving on a direct flight at around 10am. We pickedup luggage, took taxi (30ā‚¬) to train station,arrived Pamplona around 3pm, and at our hostal by 4:30pm in SJPdP.

We left EWR about 8:30pm arrived In SJPDP at 4:30 pm. So the whole trip, take off to steping into our hostal, was about 14 hours ( adusting time zones).

However, with COVID 19, not sure what the schedules will be. You might consider staying overnight in your arrival city and traveling to SJPdP the following day.

Last edited:

ā‚¬83,-
My choice to fly to Madrid, taxi from the airport to the train station, then enjoy a very long, but very relaxing train ride to Pamplona, with all the beautiful views, was a very simple choice. I stayed overnight in Pamplona and next day I took the bus to SJPP. Another beautiful ride.
Definitely, in my opinion, a better option than Paris. Buen Camino

You need to see which way gives you the best connections?

Also explore changing planes and landing in Pamplona, es or Biarritz,Fr.

My two cents: stay away from TAP (airline ofportugal)

If you fly into Pamplona airport, or fly into MAD, taxi to Mad Station (Atoche) and train into Pamplona, you can hire a car service (125ā‚¬) to pick you up in either location there and drive you to SJPdP. i have done it both ways, via Paris and MAD and found it easier to go to MAD rather than Paris.
Arriving on a direct flight at around 10am. We pickedup luggage, took taxi (30ā‚¬) to train station,arrived Pamplona around 3pm, and at our hostal by 4:30pm in SJPdP.

We left EWR about 8:30pm arrived In SJPDP at 4:30 pm. So the whole trip, take off to steping into our hostal, was about 14 hours ( adusting time zones).

However, with COVID 19, not sure what the schedules will be. You might consider staying overnight in your arrival city and traveling to SJPdP the following day.
Whatā€™s wrong with TAP?

ā‚¬83,-

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and CadaquĆ©s then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year Iā€™m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back