• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Traveling safely in Madrid

peregrina2000

Staff member
Thank you so much! I won't be catching another flight. Just the metro or cercanias. So this is perfect news.

Sandi
hi, Sandi, just to follow up, in case you haven't been to Madrid. If you are going into the city directly, Cercanias only goes to T4, so you would have to go back there on the intra-airport bus. If you've got lots of time, that is probably the most comfortable (and no pickpockets) and gives you the most options for getting around Madrid. If you don't want to go back to T4, the metro stop in the old terminal is near T2/3. But I would advise a lot of caution and attention, there are many pickpockets. There is also the airport bus to central Madrid, or the municipal bus that goes to Avda Americas bus station. These buses are also likely to be pickpocket-free. So you have lots of choices!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
hi, Sandi, just to follow up, in case you haven't been to Madrid. If you are going into the city directly, Cercanias only goes to T4, so you would have to go back there on the intra-airport bus. If you've got lots of time, that is probably the most comfortable (and no pickpockets) and gives you the most options for getting around Madrid. If you don't want to go back to T4, the metro stop in the old terminal is near T2/3. But I would advise a lot of caution and attention, there are many pickpockets. There is also the airport bus to central Madrid, or the municipal bus that goes to Avda Americas bus station. These buses are also likely to be pickpocket-free. So you have lots of choices!

I've actually lived in Madrid for a short time. And this is my second Camino in addition to that. My plan would be to post the package and head back to T4 for the cercanias.
Anyway, I have freaky-weird ways of keeping myself from being pickpocketed. They've served me in countless far scarier places than Spain. (Haiti for example.) . While traveling, I wear the ever so NOT fashionable Macabi skirt into which I have sewn my money belt and Passport wallet. I learned the trick from an even more rabid safety nut than myself.
Without photos it's tough to explain but I'll try to give some detail. I take a money belt that is RFID ready and a piece of ultralight fabric. I sew a piece of the fabric to the money belt and then attach the other end of the fabric to the inside of the skirt so that the money belt it is facing the inside of the skirt (not my body). When I take out the money belt I simply flip it out still attached to the inside of my waistband. It flips out in the correct direction, I get what I need, and flip it back inside. I've slept in my skirt on countless occasions. The things are indestructible!

This whole flipping out the money belt maneuver seldom takes place because I carry a small, very light purse over one shoulder (Even with my pack on it works) and keep only one-day's worth of cash and a snack. Nothing more. If someone wants it...I guess they can have it.

Since I have friends in Madrid I'm usually leaving my luggage with them. This time I'm traveling with my husband and brother. I can't expect my friends to take all three of us in. So I'm sending my things ahead to Santiago for the first time. nhence gthe questions.

I really appreciate your advice. I hope some of my ideas might also come in handy for someone in the future.

Sandi

It flips out in the correct direction, I get what I need, and flip it back inside.
I do something similar with a "belt loop wallet" like this. I use a diaper pin through the loops and pin it inside the waistband of my pants. However, mine doesn't flip out in the correct direction all the time!
71unEsA0nlL._SL1283_.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back