• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Traveling separate from group on Day 1

Tuftgrl

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2022 Camino Frances
Hi,
I am beginning my first Camino on July 1st, 2022. I am traveling with 3 other friends. My friends want to walk to Roncevalles via the Napoleon route in 1 day. Although I have trained, I don't want to walk that route in one day so I am taking Valcarlos route in one day and meeting them in Roncevalles. How might I keep in contact with my friends while on the alternative route? Are there buses or taxis from Valcarlos to Roncevalles if I am struggling? Thank you for your wise advice.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi,
I am beginning my first Camino on July 1st, 2022. I am traveling with 3 other friends. My friends want to walk to Roncevalles via the Napoleon route in 1 day. Although I have trained, I don't want to walk that route in one day so I am taking Valcarlos route in one day and meeting them in Roncevalles. How might I keep in contact with my friends while on the alternative route? Are there buses or taxis from Valcarlos to Roncevalles if I am struggling? Thank you for your wise advice.
You could get a ride to Orrrison and begin from there. From there to Roncesvalles is very doable in a medium day

no help on some of the questions, but maybe a little bit of inspiration for you. The Napoleon route is THE best IF the weather is pleasant (meaning not raining like crazy). The views in the Pyrenees are an incredible sight. I'd also say that the maps are drawn up in a "scale" that makes it look incredibly steep, but it's not really that way. We got a start at 9:30, got to Orrison in about 2 hours and had a pleasant stroll into Roncevalles at 5:30. (actually, it'll be the downhill that gets you more than the uphill) A couple of more ideas:
1. send your baggage via courier (there are a number of them and cost is minimal) to Roncevalles...that'll reduce weight, therefore burden
2. we were told to buy food/water in SJPP..."there's no food on the camino until Roncevalles" that's not true. You can get food/water in Orrison and there is a fountain at the French/Spanish border
3. I think you can do it...just take your time...take your breaks when appropriate for you...and hike your own hike. I like your idea of meeting in Roncevalles...if you're feeling good, then push it. If you need a break, take one...then have wine and sangria and a good meal at your destination.

Do me one big favor...DO NOT let the maps (and the scale) psych you out. I believe this is done intentionally to scare peregrinos...and don't understand it really. It is not as steep as they are drawn.

Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Social media and / or a texting service like Whatsapp both work to keep in touch on the trail.

And as a side note: it's a very good sign that you all are comfortable walking at your own pace, and are willing to do it the first day. Every group of friends will need to learn to do this, and I've seen some struggle with the idea that it's often healthy to split up and reconnect.

Since Roncesvalles is big, it would be a good idea to have a Plan B to meet up on the second night, either at Zubiri or Larrasoaña. Just in case.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi,
You might also consider walking to Orison and spending the night there (if you can get reservations). Perhaps your friends would join you. This may seem slow but you will not regret it.
This because blisters and shin splints are one of the main reasons folks do not finish the CF and they start on Long day 1. Unless you are used to distance with weight- Go Long, Go Fast, Go Heavy, Go Home.

Hi,
I think asking advice like this can be super tricky. Your age, true fitness level, weight and a variety of other factors all play into what you may or may not be able to reasonably walk. You are also walking your first camino which adds to your stress and uncertainty. As others have said you can walk part way to Orisson the day before if that is feasible. You could walk Valcarlos but as trecile says:
If you think that taking the Valcarlos route will be easier, you might want to check out this thread that disputes that idea: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...int-jean-and-roncesvalles.74903/#post-1033822
And you can use a luggage service to make your load alot lighter.
no help on some of the questions, but maybe a little bit of inspiration for you. The Napoleon route is THE best IF the weather is pleasant (meaning not raining like crazy). The views in the Pyrenees are an incredible sight. I'd also say that the maps are drawn up in a "scale" that makes it look incredibly steep, but it's not really that way. We got a start at 9:30, got to Orrison in about 2 hours and had a pleasant stroll into Roncevalles at 5:30. (actually, it'll be the downhill that gets you more than the uphill) A couple of more ideas:
1. send your baggage via courier (there are a number of them and cost is minimal) to Roncevalles...that'll reduce weight, therefore burden
2. we were told to buy food/water in SJPP..."there's no food on the camino until Roncevalles" that's not true. You can get food/water in Orrison and there is a fountain at the French/Spanish border
3. I think you can do it...just take your time...take your breaks when appropriate for you...and hike your own hike. I like your idea of meeting in Roncevalles...if you're feeling good, then push it. If you need a break, take one...then have wine and sangria and a good meal at your destination.

Do me one big favor...DO NOT let the maps (and the scale) psych you out. I believe this is done intentionally to scare peregrinos...and don't understand it really. It is not as steep as they are drawn.

Buen Camino
They are not done to scare pilgrims. They are done to scale. If the size of the map and the distances between each kilometer were larger than the sloop would appear to be far less steep. These stage profiles of the type of terrain you will encounter, how steep uphills and downhills are and the distances between villages can be invaluable especially on far less traveled caminos with far less infrastructure. It is also difficult if not impossible to ascertain another person's age fitness level, and experience as a hiker or pilgrim. Your fitness and comfort level and definition of a good day's hike may be far different than he person walking next to you. There is also the question of how long someone has walked before they approach a very steep hill or pass. I walked my first camino after training for months with a friend who is a triathlete before my first camino and I thought I would die when I got to Orisson. I was 58. I walked from Le Puy 3 years later which is a far more difficult camino to walk and when I walked from SJPP it was an absolute breeze.
I have walked many caminos over the years and I think the most important lesson a new pilgrim who is not sure of their fitness level or not sure of anything is to learn to listen to your body. Pushing yourself can be a recipe for disaster even on the first day. I have walked physically difficult caminos like the Norte and Le Puy and maybe even more difficult mental caminos like the VIa De La Plata. I have learned as have many others here that you walk when your body tells you, stop to rest when your body tells you, and eat when your body tells you. Pushing your body to its limit, especially if you have no real idea what your limit is can be dangerous. Like for all of us, what is easy and doable for one person may be really difficult and injurious for another. Buen Camino
I think your other advice is spot on that the poster should consider.

I have often posted the profile of the two variants of the stage between SJPdP and Roncesvalles. The vertical scale is not intended to scare anyone; it is to show detail. If the vertical scale was the same as the horizontal scale then the height would only be about 5% of the length.

Anyway, Express Bourricot operates a shuttle. I think it goes all the way to where the camino leaves the main road to become a trail. I'm guessing that they will drop you off at any point from SJPdP to there. The final point for them is just a bit past what is labeled as Rd Junction.

Hi,
I walked my first Camino at age 56. I thought I had a reasonable fitness level. I read that if you can do SJPP to Roncevalles you can do the rest of the Camino. All I had was hope and determination. I didn't know I could have my pack couriered, that walking poles make life a lot easier, that there was an alternate route or that I could spend the night at Orrison.
It turned out ignorance is bliss. It was the most challenging and most beautiful day of my Camino. That day still stands so clearly in my mind and heart.
You have great and sound practical advice in the other replies. I wanted to share my experience and say whatever you choose will be perfect for you. Have courage, have heart, and allow the love of the Camino be your guide.

I think asking advice like this can be super tricky. Your age, true fitness level, weight and a variety of other factors all play into what you may or may not be able to reasonably walk. You are also walking your first camino which adds to your stress and uncertainty. As others have said you can walk part way to Orisson the day before if that is feasible. You could walk Valcarlos but as trecile says:

And you can use a luggage service to make your load alot lighter.

They are not done to scare pilgrims. They are done to scale. If the size of the map and the distances between each kilometer were larger than the sloop would appear to be far less steep. These stage profiles of the type of terrain you will encounter, how steep uphills and downhills are and the distances between villages can be invaluable especially on far less traveled caminos with far less infrastructure. It is also difficult if not impossible to ascertain another person's age fitness level, and experience as a hiker or pilgrim. Your fitness and comfort level and definition of a good day's hike may be far different than he person walking next to you. There is also the question of how long someone has walked before they approach a very steep hill or pass. I walked my first camino after training for months with a friend who is a triathlete before my first camino and I thought I would die when I got to Orisson. I was 58. I walked from Le Puy 3 years later which is a far more difficult camino to walk and when I walked from SJPP it was an absolute breeze.
I have walked many caminos over the years and I think the most important lesson a new pilgrim who is not sure of their fitness level or not sure of anything is to learn to listen to your body. Pushing yourself can be a recipe for disaster even on the first day. I have walked physically difficult caminos like the Norte and Le Puy and maybe even more difficult mental caminos like the VIa De La Plata. I have learned as have many others here that you walk when your body tells you, stop to rest when your body tells you, and eat when your body tells you. Pushing your body to its limit, especially if you have no real idea what your limit is can be dangerous. Like for all of us, what is easy and doable for one person may be really difficult and injurious for another. Buen Camino
I think your other advice is spot on that the poster should consider.
Was interested to hear you say Via del la Plata is more mentally challenging. I plan to walk in September. My third Camino. I have been calling it "the old ladies Camino" because of my age and because it appears to be relatively flat.
Maybe I should call it the Meditators Camino. 😂

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked my first Camino at age 56. I thought I had a reasonable fitness level. I read that if you can do SJPP to Roncevalles you can do the rest of the Camino. All I had was hope and determination. I didn't know I could have my pack couriered, that walking poles make life a lot easier, that there was an alternate route or that I could spend the night at Orrison.
It turned out ignorance is bliss. It was the most challenging and most beautiful day of my Camino. That day still stands so clearly in my mind and heart.
You have great and sound practical advice in the other replies. I wanted to share my experience and say whatever you choose will be perfect for you. Have courage, have heart, and allow the love of the Camino be your guide.
great post...I echo your sentiments on the first day...we had nice weather which made it great as well. My three favorite days (in order):
SJPP to Roncevalles
Astorga to el Acebo
O Cebreiro day
(they all have something in common...steep days, scenery, lots of physical exertion)
I was 46 when I did the first 3 days of the Camino and 47 when I returned the next year to complete.

(great post...worth repeating)

I was 62 when I did my first Camino. The snow kept me from doing my planned Napoleon route (in May), so I walked Valcarlos. LOL, I didn't know what I didn't know!!
Challenging? Yes. Doable?? Definitely, yes. Worth the effort??? Absolutely. It was beautiful, surrounded by green, green valleys with sheep and cowbells in the distance. Through forests and shade.
The next time, I did the Napoleon and stayed overnight in Orrison.
Meh.
For a first Camino, I'm very glad I did the Valcarlos.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back