• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Traveling The Camino Portugues While Blind?

Bottinggp

Time of past OR future Camino
2020 or 2021
Hello. I am planning on walking either the Camino Portugues or perhaps the Northern Way, likely in late April/May, or September. I am totally blind, and was wondering if anyone has tips/suggestions, or knows of anyone who has done this or other camino routes who is also blind?

I'm not worried about the terrain beyond normal worries--I have good travel skills and have hiked various places. However, any insights would be welcome, particularly about handling a cane and hiking pole at the same time. I also won't be doing this alone; I regrettably speak neither Spanish nor Portuguese, though I'm going to learn all I can before I go.

My second question regards getting my completion certificate in Braille. Has that been done, and if so, how would that be accomplished? I assume that such a request would need to be run through an approval process, and that a Braille copy would be sent to the person a few weeks after the end of their camino. (Something similar was done with my diploma when I graduated from university).

I'm also wondering if there's a good starting point for the northern route which is somewhat shorter; having been through the region before, I was thinking either Bilbau or maybe Viadolid, but would appreciate any suggestions.

Finally, I'm curious what kind of weather people experienced at the times I said I was thinking about walking the camino? (Also, I'm most likely going to start from Porto, and try to walk the 260 kilometers to Santiago, assuming I do the Camino Portugues).

Thank you very much, and I look forward to hearing thoughts/insights soon.

G Botting

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi and welcome here!

I believe our forummembers @t2andreo ( regularly volunteers in the Pilgrim's Office ) ,@natefaith, and @SYates might be of help in answering your question regarding the Braille Compostela.

I walked the Portugues end of August and beginning of September. Warm but not extremely that year. The Atlantic breeze was wonderful and I don't recall it being much hotter than 25 Celsius. Although I heard of years when it was brutally hot.

Other times I always walked a Camino in April and that is wonderful too.

Happy preparations.

I walked the Camino Portuguese from Porto along the coast this past September 2018 and found the temps to be wonderfully warm and breezy. Not one day of rain in the near two week walk. I'm responding because I walked this route with a tumor in my knee and found it quite easy to navigate without treacherous terrain. I think you'll find well worn, well groomed, clean paths would be a benefit. I cannot speak to your blindness, but feel that specific route may be a good option ( I've walked a few others )...and I admire your plan to walk. Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
last year on the Camino Sanabres ,,,2 blind guys with their guide dogs and (i think) 3 helpers ,,, all carrying their packs and all the way to Santiago ,,,and staying in the albergues ,,, was wonderful !!!!!

Crossing the mountain on the stretch after Ponte da Lima might not be easy.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back