• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

traveling the napolean route out of st jean

PATRICIA MEAD

Time of past OR future Camino
may 2016
I'm Patricia, from Houston. I'm starting the Camino at St Jean on April 29, doing the Napolean route and looking for hike mates, hopefully, who are familiar with the route or comfortable with finding their way.
This looks the most challenging part of the route and I'm somewhat timid about going it, the first day out, alone.
Anyone out there who is looking for company, or can share their experience on the Napolean route?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You won't be alone. Just look for some friendly looking souls as you walk down the hill leaving St. Jean and strike up a conversation. There'll be many happy and willing to have companionship.

And welcome to the forum, and Buen Camino. :)

Patricia, buen camino Pelegrina. On arrival at St Jean make sure you visit the Pilgrims Office (everyone will direct you there) and from then on you will be fine. On 29 April you will be with a crocodile of pilgrims all leaving St Jean - no need to worry, just follow the backpacks.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Patricia, I have walked on the Camino three times and have never ceased to be amazed at the number of women walking it solo. It's a real community out there and I guarantee you that you will make friends and have ample opportunities to team up with others. It's great to plan ahead, to make friends ahead of time but if it does't work out, don't stress. It's a real community of loving and caring people out there.
Buen Camino.

The telling of the story far exceeds the actual doing of the Napoleon Route. The first 7km (as far as Orrisson) is steep and takes effort. Most people do not stop at Orrisson but continue on to Roncesvalles.
The rest of the route is much more gentle and mostly on an old paved road.
The myth is kept alive by the overweight, overpacked, under trained pilgrims who are on their first day. It is hard but very doable. Thousands do it every month...old folks, people with packs bigger than them, unfit folks...everybody seems to make it somehow to Roncevelles and to spread the stories of the horrors they have endured.:):cool::cool:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Fifteen years ago, I walked from SJPP to Roncesvalles on my own. It took me from 8.30 am to 5.30 pm. In those days, there were very few pilgrims on the track. I tried to keep up with a small group of Germans who had a mobile phone (rare at that time) but couldn't do it, mainly because they had only day packs and I had a too-heavy backpack!

Fast forward to this year - I am booked in at Orisson on 3rd June. What lessons have I learned? Take more water than you think you'll need. Take your time. Find your own pace and don't try to keep up with anyone else.

everybody seems to make it somehow to Roncevelles and to spread the stories of the horrors they have endured
The tales are the fascination and lure of the Camino. The shared experience of triumph binds pilgrims. The highest part of the Camino is much later, but very few notice because they are in condition by that time.

The first few hundred meters out of SJPdP are quite steep in a few places, but it then levels to a gradual ascent for several kilometers. The route steepens before Hounto up to Orisson. After that, if you stick to the road, it is gradual, steady "up" with many false summits; that is, you think you may have made it to the top, but you round a corner and there is more "up." The steepest parts are where the footpath cuts across road switchbacks. If you stick to the road, it is something a very underpowered Citroen 2CV can climb with ease!

Welcome to the forum Patricia. You will find much help at the Pilgrim Center. I chose to walk my first time alone, but by the time I finished the Pilgrim meal at Beilari Albergue in St. Jean, I felt like I had 23 new friends, a few with whom I started out with. After a couple of days, everyone found their own rythym; some stayed together, but I was ready for my quiet time, and what a joy it was to see them here and there throughout the journey. By the time I reached Santiago, my birthday celebration lasted the whole day and into the evening; I had made that many friends as a solo walker. It was heartening to see so many single women out there. The choice will be yours. Wish you Buen Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
September last year, I set out on my own from SJPdP one morning. It was only about 9am but there were no other pilgrims around,, so I set out totally alone up the hill.

I reached Refuge Orisson about 3 hours later, having stopped for a coffee (and to use the loo) at Hunto. I met a handful of fellow pilgrims as I walked, but for the most part I was alone as we walked at different paces. And perfectly happy too. I watched the griffon vultures circling endlessly above me, I relished the view behind me when I stopped to catch my breath - my motto is 'never look back unless it is to see how far you have come', and my word, to see STPdP so far below and think 'I just walked up from there!' was incredibly empowering.

I had booked to stay at Orisson overnight, so I had a long lazy afternoon drinking wine on the terrace and becoming acquainted with what was to become my 'family' for the next few days. The whole Orisson experience was amazing. The buzz of anticipation and energy in that room at the common meal that evening was - oh, I can't find a word for it.

I set out the following morning into the sunrise over the mountains, accompanied by many new friends, some of whom I am still in touch with.

Don't worry or feel timid about being on your own.You really won't be for long.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Don't sweat it. There will be lot's of fellow pilgrims walking it as well.
Eat a good breakfast. Bring a liter of water. Hydrate at the fountains on the way, and pack something to eat for lunch.
Before you know it, you are at the albergue in Roncesvalles.
cheers

Late April? The really difficult thing will be to find a space for walking alone.
Don' t be afraid. The way is clearly signposted, and everybody (well almost...) will be friendly and helpful. If you are in doubt, just stop a couple of minutes and other pilgrims will appear.
Anyway, be cautious with weather. If the Pilgrim's bureau advice that, go by the lower route, which is actually quite pleasant.
Buen camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The telling of the story far exceeds the actual doing of the Napoleon Route. The first 7km (as far as Orrisson) is steep and takes effort. Most people do not stop at Orrisson but continue on to Roncesvalles.
The rest of the route is much more gentle and mostly on an old paved road.
The myth is kept alive by the overweight, overpacked, under trained pilgrims who are on their first day. It is hard but very doable. Thousands do it every month...old folks, people with packs bigger than them, unfit folks...everybody seems to make it somehow to Roncevelles and to spread the stories of the horrors they have endured.:):cool::cool:[/QUOTE
Oh, what a relief! I have been worried about this, not so much the terrain but getting lost. So this is good news indeed. I am so anxious to get started. The opportunites for new friendships and incredible vistas are such a driving force.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back