• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Traveling to Europe With Only a Backpack

jhdceltic

Time of past OR future Camino
(2015)
I would like to know any difficulties when traveling with just a backpack. A large backpack may need to be checked by the airline. A typical backpack has many loose straps and the waist belt which seems to be a problem. I am just looking for some suggestions and advice.
Thank you,
Jim Dugan

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I agree but locally the prices have soared. It's now cheaper to buy a cover for a round trip.

We bought bags (light weight rip stop) and put the packs into their individual bag for the air travel. Then we have sent them forward by mail yo Santiago or in one trip carried them. In one instance we left extra clothes in the bags at a Santiago hotel and walked back. You could purchase a throw away bag.

I made covers for our packs, but we have used plastic rubbish sacks on other occasions. Next time we're just taking packs that are small enough to carry on so we can ditch that extra weight.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I made covers for our packs, but we have used plastic rubbish sacks on other occasions. Next time we're just taking packs that are small enough to carry on so we can ditch that extra weight.

I would like to know any difficulties when traveling with just a backpack. A large backpack may need to be checked by the airline. A typical backpack has many loose straps and the waist belt which seems to be a problem. I am just looking for some suggestions and advice.
Thank you,
Jim Dugan

I used a 46 liter pack and carried it on with no problem.

Dear Jim, I've travelled Singapore Airlines, Southern China and Vueling with my backpacks.

I saw how the airport staff handled it first time. Firstly tighten all the straps up, including the belt and shoulder straps.

Tie the shoulder straps together with the loose straps until they are all together.

You tie and loop all the straps into themselves so that there is no loose straps hanging out. Finally, tuck any loose ends in side pockets if possible.

I think they want loose ends all tucked away so they do not catch on any machinery or other luggage.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I did a couple of things:
For my original flight to Europe I bought a second-hand suitcase that I discarded in Paris
For flights between European cities I checked my backpack without anything special, although I did tighten all straps
And my last flight back to Canada the airline placed it in a large clear plastic bag.
I saw someone who inverted the straps and created a duffle-bag look-a-like.

Good luck
And Buen Camino

Cheryl

Shops sell sleeves to go over the backpack. Or you could just wrap it in clear plastic.

http://www.mec.ca/product/5030-444/mec-skyway-airline-tote/?q=airline+tote

You should be able to find something like that
I have travelled with a pack as checked baggage without any other protection, but preparation to ensure that there are no loose straps and the shoulder straps are tied together with the hip belt. More recently, I have purchased a cheap woven polypropylene bag large enough for the pack from a $2 shop, and taped it up with box packing tape. They are cheap enough to discard at the airport. The packs survived both ways without any damage.

I did look at similar options to the one suggested above from @NicoZ. Sea to Summit make something similar that does double duty as a rain cover - which goes some way to justifying some of the 500+gm that you would be carrying. It would probably be okay if one didn't carry it, but posted it ahead and collected it at the end.

With most of the EU airlines 25litres is basically the limit for carry ons
I have just checked British Airways, KLM, Ryanair, Vueling and Easyjet, which I know is not most EU airlines, but for all five the cabin baggage limits are 40li or more (the weight limits all exceed 10kg, but there are dimension limits on height, width and depth). My experience is that it is only on smaller turbo-prop services that tighter limits apply.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Easyjet and Vueling are limited to

50cmx40cmx20cm.

Ryanair is still a little bigger. I think the mainline airlines are bigger but they tend to have lower weight limits.

In my expierence from measuring packs (or checking manufacturers measurements) to come in with in the 50x40x20 requirement you're topping out at 25litres.

I've got an email from a major back maker. They claim

48cm X 30cm X 17cm

For their 25litre pack.

Maybe somebody makes a backpack that is actually 50x40x20 . Many suitcase companies make this size now. But I don't think I've seen one back built to that size.

BTW that 25litre pack is that size only if you don't over fill it. The pack can take a bit more causing the thickness to go past the 17cm quoted or even the top can bulge.

Easyjet and Vueling are limited to

50cmx40cmx20cm.

Ryanair is still a little bigger. I think the mainline airlines are bigger but they tend to have lower weight limits.

In my expierence from measuring packs (or checking manufacturers measurements) to come in with in the 50x40x20 requirement you're topping out at 25litres.

I've got an email from a major back maker. They claim

48cm X 30cm X 17cm

For their 25litre pack.

Maybe somebody makes a backpack that is actually 50x40x20 . Many suitcase companies make this size now. But I don't think I've seen one back built to that size.
We may be at cross purposes here. The maximum dimension equate you quote give a maximum volume of 40li. I actually have a 38li pack that will fit into the dimensions for a 44li cabin baggage limit (55cmx40cmx20cm). I used it for many years as a carry on. More recently I have used a 30li Salewa without any challenge from the airlines. Its dimensions are not all under the limits, but it doesn't exceed the total linear dimension allowed.

That said, a lot of modern packs take up a lot of volume with suspended mesh backs and more substantial harness components, and I agree you might struggle to keep them within the maximum allowable dimensions.

Regards.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you run into a gate clerk having a bad day they'll make you fit your pack into those metal cages. The linear measurement doesn't matter. If you're over the limit on any of the sides it won't fit. I've got a suitcase that's exactly each of the dimensions. It only fits the cage if I inserted it wheel end first.

I think these days the only discount carrier still allowing 55cm is Ryanair.

Now I admit some days the gate staff let almost anything past. But if the plane is full and everybody has a carry on they can be very picky.

I lived out of my 35 L pack for 5 months year before last and 3 months last year.
Not so difficult and it can be carried onto the plane.
I used small bungie cords to tie the straps up tight.
You can buy rolls of saran wrap and wrap it yourself, also.

I think these days the only discount carrier still allowing 55cm is Ryanair.
There isn't any significant difference between the discount carriers in this regard. I checked a number of discount carriers (Flybe, Jet2, Easyjet, Vueling and Volotea) and they are all allow bags up to 55cm x 40cm x 20cm (sometimes more) in the cabin. The most generous allowance is provided by Jet2, at 56cm x 45cm x 25cm. The only wrinkle is Easyjet, which guarantees your bag will stay in the cabin if it is 50cm x 40cm x 20cm or less when the cabin is crowded.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Since I had walking poles I had no choice but to check my backpack. Most airlines have a complimentary large plastic bags for your backpack and they are very durable; never had one ripped on me. I couldn't say this is true for all airlines, but I was on enough of them to know they all have these bags (which they use for infant car seats and other loose items for check-in). The questions is do they let you use them for backpacks - United and Air France definitely does.

To come back to the original question: as I understand it is about checked in luggage.
About once a year I do have a return flight with a backpack checked in, never had a problem with that.
As said before, I do indeed try to put all straps away or tighten them as much as possible. Sometimes the pack can go the regular way when I check in, somtimes I need to but it in a special box for special unusual luggage.

The problems are:

Backpacks are sometimes considered oversized so they get handled separately from the normal stream of luggage. That can cause panic when your bag doesn't appear on the carosel with the other baggage. Its treated more as cargo in the same way as sport equipment like skis and bicycles. Just look for the baggage claim office.

Straps can get caught on automated baggage equipment. I have had a strap ripped off the pack. Best defense is to either get a plastic bag at the check-in or get it wrapped. Second best defense is to tighten the straps, close the buckles, and tuck the loose ends so there is nothing to catch.

If you have an external frame it might be a good idea to put duct tape over the pins that hold the bag to the frame. That protects the rings that tend to catch in clothing and hands of the people handling the bags.

I have had issues with carrying too much weight on trips including a tent stove etc. Normally there is a statement to the effect that 'next time' there will be a charge.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you,
Jim Dugan
Jim,

Just to clarify, how much walking do you intend to do with the backpack? If it's only occasional, you may want to consider travel packs which are a hybrid between a pack and a suitcase. They typically have the harness stored behind a zippered panel so there's no straps to get caught up; some have detachable harnesses when the bag is not going to be carried. They come with or without wheels and a collapsible handle, and some even have detachable daypacks! Of course there's a slight weight penalty and they may not carry quite as well as a dedicated backpack, but ultimately it does depend on the type of use you're going to put it to.

There are many reputable brands such as Osprey, Eagle Creek and Deuter, to name just three. I have a wheeled Eagle Creek which I'm intending to take to Vietnam. It's going to be on and off buses, a boat and a train plus some flat stretches of sidewalk and road (hence the wheels), so I think it'll be ideal.

Cheers

Murray

Last edited:
If we are planning on doing the "touristy thing" then we both carry a convertible travel pack. It is pack that can worn as a pack or carried over the shoulder.
We used this to travel for weeks on end in Europe.

If we planning on doing a camino then we take our hiking packs and a couple large clear garbage plastic bags for the plane. We drop the packs into the plastic bags to keep all the loose straps, etc inside

It was American Airlines, in to Paris and out of Madrid
Z, post: 173661, member: 25228"]Which airline?

With most of the EU airlines 25litres is basically the limit for carry ons[/quote]
It was Aneri

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Keep this very simple. I walked the Camino in February and March of this year. The two mistakes made by most pilgrims were improper footwear (particularly not broken in boots) and backpacks too large and too heavy with too much gear. I recommend you look at the Deuter (German) backpacks and in particular the Futura 32 (1950 cu. in. = 32 liters). It is not only superbly designed and very reasonably priced ($139 on backcountry.com), but it meets the requirements for carry-on for all airlines. Remember I went in winter when it is even more challenging to pack and carry cold / wet weather gear and keep going. I carried my pack the total distance and still had to send some items forward to manage space and weight. At the end, I found I only needed two clothing changes (multiple layers and everything ultralight) aside from gear for cold and rain. I can honestly say that in winter if you are carrying much more than 15 lbs. (approx. 7 kilos), it is too much. If you plan to walk in spring, summer or fall you should be able to carry even less.

I am not sure why people are concerned about wrapping backpacks, loose straps, etc. Since my Peace Corps days in 1975 I have learned it is all about packing smart and light and remember the Camino is anything but isolated.

We bought Sea to Summit ripstop nylon duffel bags that our Talon 33's just fit in (and are carry-on size). When not in use they double as laundry bags inside our packs (they only weigh a few ounces). I've also found it easier to stash the pack on buses and trains if it's in the duffle and it also keeps the pack clean and gives it an extra layer of protection.

Thank you,
Jim Dugan
Hi,
I've seen for sale back pack bags. Essentially it is a light poly bag that you put your back pack into for airline travel.
It gets all the straps out of the way and also has a handle on the side to make it easy to carry.
Check on line I pretty sure I saw it on Paddy palling web site in Australia.

Bon Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You don't necessarily need a separate bag for your backpack. I took mine as a carry-on (with poles dismantled inside) from the US to Madrid on Delta in late September 2013 and had no problem. Coming back in early November I checked the pack. To secure the straps I fastened the waist belt backwards (i.e., so it went around the front of the pack), put the rain cover on, stuffed the shoulder straps inside the rain cover on the sides, then put a strong buckle-strap around the outside of the whole thing and tightened it securely. (I had carried the strap with me on the Camino.) I had no problems checking it that way without damage, both on RyanAir and on the return flight to the US.

We bought Sea to Summit ripstop nylon duffel bags that our Talon 33's just fit in (and are carry-on size). When not in use they double as laundry bags inside our packs (they only weigh a few ounces). I've also found it easier to stash the pack on buses and trains if it's in the duffle and it also keeps the pack clean and gives it an extra layer of protection.
Hola Haikutaxi, Is this the duffle you speak of? Thx. http://www.rei.com/product/804454/sea-to-summit-pack-converter-duffle-bag

No, mine is smaller, lighter & simpler ... Folds up into its pocket when not in use. I'll see if I can find info.

€149,-
MichaelWalker has the right idea. After years of backpacking around the world and too many flights to remember, I have never wrapped up my check-in backpack, I just wrapped loose waist and shoulder straps and tightened them so there were no loose ends. Invariably, the check-in staff would put my backpack bag into a large rigid plastic box of which they had many behind the counter, so obviously they are used to such items of baggage. This system worked on airlines such as Thai, Malaysian, China Southern, Virgin Atlantic, British Air, American Air, etc. as well as intra continental airlines such as Ryan Air, Air France and Vueling.

Here is one solution for protecting a checked-in rucksack, walking poles and sharp objects, or anything else you cannot take into the cabin.

Last year, I walked my first Camino with an Osprey Kestrel 48 rucksack. I bought and used the Osprey "Airporter" duffel sack to protect the rucksack when checked. As I also had hiking poles and a knife, this was the better method. I used my Sea to Summit 20-liter Ultra Sil day pack as my carry-on. After arrival this day bag rides clipped to my harness for immediate use as a shopping bag, trash pick-up sack, laundry bag, or a city bag when the rucksack is inappropriate.

However, since returning home, I discovered that the fully-loaded 48 liter Kestrel rucksack fits nicely into an XXL sized, heavy duty, Hefty-brand Ziploc clothing storage bag. These very thick über-large plastic bags are available in the U.S. at grocery stores, Wal-Mart, Target, etc. They measure 2.0 feet (24 inches) wide x 2.7 feet (33 inches) tall. The quoted volume is 20 U.S. gallons, or about 75 liters.

There is a handle on the Ziploc bag. But the handle will not carry the weight of the loaded rucksack. On the other hand, the bag weighs only 3.8 ox (107 gm) when empty. Here is the web page with everything you might want to know about these bags: http://www.ziploc.com/Products/Pages/BigBags.aspx?SizeName=XXL

My thought would be to use one Hefty Ziploc bag - TSA will like it as they can see what is in it - instead of the much heavier duffel bag - any duffel bag. I would seal the "zip seam" with duck tape, and use duck tape to reinforce the handle. This way, the bad might snag, but it can be easily repaired with duck tape (which you should be carrying anyway).

The Ziploc XXL sack folds and stores very compactly. You could either use it as a rucksack liner to keep stuff dry, a seat for damp places, or anything else you could think of to use the mother of all Ziploc bags for. The XXL bags come three to a box.

On arrival, I shift the carry-on items appropriately, collapse the day pack unless I will need it enroute to my starting point, shift the collapsed poles to the outside of the rucksack and collapse the Ziploc bag. Remember how light the Ziploc shipping bag is?

If you not traipsing about Europe and are there solely to do the Camino, at the first post office in Spain, you might mail the Ziploc bag and anything you decided in the walk over the Pyrenees that you will no need until Santiago, to Ivar Rekves' office in Santiago. I usually send things like house keys, my flying compression socks, and depending on weather, any additional travel clothing I have. From Pamplona, you can send about 2 - 3 kg of stuff to Santiago for about 10 Euros. The post office "Correos" has boxes for sale.

I hope this helps.

Happy New Year to all!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.