• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Traveling to Paris: Any Advice?

MoniRose

Time of past OR future Camino
(5/28-7/4, 2012) Camino Frances - SJPP to Santiago
(7/22-8/2, 2013) Camino Finesterra
(?) Camino Le Puy
Hi All - I will be leaving the States around Memorial Day 2012 and was planning to fly into and back out of Paris; hoping to see some of France after finishing my Camino. I've never travelled to Europe and am wondering if there's a better way to go and still be able to get some time in France, preferrably on the back side of my trip. I am wondering about getting to SJPP, and getting around France in general. Also, what about the trip back to Paris from Santiago de Compostela? Not at all familiar with buses, trains, etc.
Can you advise on some other options that I might consider? Round trip to Paris right now is about $1300+, which I will do if I have to, but I'm thinking there might be more creative and less expensive ways to meet my goal. My time is my own for the summer, so I can be flexible with dates.
I'd appreciate any advice from more seasoned travelers from the States?
Thanks so much!
- M :arrow:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
MoniRose...welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2012!

I try to keep things simple, so...consider getting an "open jaw" airline ticket. This would allow you to fly into Paris...take the train around France as you make your way to SJPDP...walk the CF and fly home from Santiago.

Here is the link to raileurope:

http://www.raileurope.com/rail-tickets-passes/

Buen "doing it your way" Camino

Arn

Hi Monica

You can fly from Santiago to Paris quite cheaply with Vueling airlines. I think there is a direct flight to Paris CDG airport on some days, but on other days you might have to go via Barcelona to Paris Orly, which probably wouldn't be the airport you'd fly back to the States from.

Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Monica,

I am hoping to leave in mid May and return in June. I also intend to fly into CDG but will fly back out of Madrid. I will train out of Paris to SJPdP. The question is whether I can get there on the same day. Leaving Paris from the Montparness station gives you more flexibility than leaving from CDG. But it does mean you have to take the bus from CDG to Montparasse. But there is a shuttle bus from CDG that goes there.

Try Hipmonk.com to look for airfares. They will allow you to try the "open Jaw" process that Arn described.

Hope that helps!

Buen Camino!

Alan

On my first Camino I flew to Paris, then took the fast train to Bayonne, spent one night there then took a local train to SJPP next morning

My best advice would be to STAY in Paris a few days!
You'll need at least 3 days to completely see the Louvre if you are a history nut.

You can get an inexpensive room or bed at the Youth Hostel and take the bus or train into the city.
We booked online before we left and it worked out fine.

Fun!

Thank you all. I expect I will be anxious to start my Camino once I get over there, so I'm planning on celebrating the completion of the Camino with a few days in France before heading home, rather than taking it on the front end. But I will consider staying in Bayonne the first night and then a day to enjoy SJPP before starting out early. I appreciate all the suggestions! - M :arrow:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The excellent national train service in France means that long-distance bus service in the country is practically nonexistent; regional buses are found where train service is spotty. Local bus information to the rare rural areas where trains do not have access can be obtained from the SNCF.

With dedicated bus lanes now in place throughout the city—allowing buses and taxis to whiz past other traffic mired in tedious jams—taking the bus is an appealing option. Although nothing can beat the métro for speed, buses offer great city views, and the new ones are equipped with air-conditioning—a real perk on those sweltering August days.

Thanks

Click here

Hi,

It's perfectly doable to leave Paris by train in the morning, get into Bayonne and catch a train mid/late afternoon, arriving in SJPP in plenty of time to get a room (I did this 4 years ago). If you're looking for accommodation in Paris you can rent really inexpensive apartments in great areas near the centre for much less than a hotel and not much more than a hostel - airbnb.co.uk is one of the better sites. I've just booked 3 nights for me and my partner before I go off and start my 2nd Camino in March!

Buen Camino :)

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back