• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Traveling to SJPdP - is this feasable?

Gumba

Time of past OR future Camino
Winter CF2018 Winter CF2019-20
Just in the initial planning stages, no tickets booked - do you think this is feasable?

Traveling from Australia to Paris (arriving early), stay overnight in Paris. With jetlag from Aus we will go to bed late afternoon and wake up very early in the morning which means catching a 7am flight wont be too much of a hardship for us.

We will get to Biarritz around 9am which gives us about 2 hours to get to the train station, arriving at SJPdP around 12.30.

Here's the question!
Will we have time to get lunch, go to the pilgrim office, get info and passports and then head off to Valcarlos all in the same day or am I pushing it? Sunset is 7pm

We are starting at the beginning of March next year and walking with two children (9 and 11)

I would love nothing more to stay overnight in SJPdP but as we are time poor I would rather save up my days for rest days along the way, especially as we don't know how the children will travel.

Also, no idea what backpacks we are taking but assuming Camino size-appropriate - can I carry these as hand luggage (including 4 sets of poles) on the Paris budget airlines?

Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
With the kids I think you are pushing it. If you want them to enjoy it, a strenuous first day may be a bad choice. You would have time to get to the Pilgrim Office and eat lunch, but you might do better to grab a picnic-type lunch, and head for Valcarlos. Keep in mind that in March the weather may be awful. Even the road to Valcarlos is unpleasant with snow and snowplows!

SJPdP is not a large town, and in March it will be a very quiet town with many gites closed. It takes only about five minutes to get through the process at the Pilgrim Office. You can see the town in an hour. You may want to consider making a final decision after you arrive in SJPdP and have evaluated your jet lag and the weather.

My thoughts @Gumba - as you have not booked yet. At the beginning of March and with some time constraints, I would not go through Paris, but through Madrid, and I would not start walking in SJPDP but either Roncesvalles or Pamplona. Really, at that time of the year it makes no sense to start in SJPDP.

Assuming you are flying from the Australian east coast - Emirates flight via Dubai - good connections and, when you factor in saving the cost of accommodation in Paris, competitive with the cheapest alternatives. Stay overnight in Madrid if you want to get over the jet lag (or stop-over in Dubai) and then catch a bus or train to Pamplona. Buses go direct from Madrid Airport to Pamplona.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks Kanga, hadn't considered Madrid. I will look in to it. Yes, East Coast. I would prefer to start at Roncesvalles but hubby has his heart set on starting at SJ. Will give it more thought.

"Keep in mind that in March the weather may be awful. Even the road to Valcarlos is unpleasant with snow and snowplows!"
Thanks for the input Flacon. This has me worried... To be honest, I know the weather could be vile, but I have yet to really grasp the concept, coming from a warm climate....

@Gumba, think the same latitude as Hobart, but at a much, much higher altitude!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Seems to me you are pushing it. Understand that due to time constraints, you want to save some time for rest days later on. However, you cant be sure how things will turn out : you may not need rest days, you may want to bus a stage, you may walk faster than expected, its all hard to predict. (your train can be delayed...)
Personally I preferred spending an afternoon / overnight in St Jean: its a lovely little town & this leaves some time to actually appreciate / look forward to your forthcoming camino, instead of rushing and pushing before you have even started walking. Whatever you decide to do, Buen Camino !

I think it is feasible. Just keep your options open and decide on the spot.
In early March, lodgments would not be a problem. Just ask in the pilgrim bureau.

Last edited:
I am travelling from Brisbane in September through Paris arriving early in the morning. Taking the bus into Paris then travelling by train to Bayonne and connecting on to St Jean for two nights. You could do this but maybe overnight in Bayonne then catch the train to St Jean the next morning. I have booked the direct train out of Paris taking just under four hours to Bayonne. Could save overnight in Paris and very early start back to the airport in Paris for the children. Just a thought.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
"Several have died in the last decade. That fact can make it easier to grasp!;)"
A rather sobering thought, Falcon. Kanga's reference to Hobart has given me a better understanding of the conditions (than previously held). Hot weather I understand - cold - not so well!

Kazza, sounds like a good plan. We flew to London last year arriving at 6am. We had enough puff before we collapsed at about 3pm. What time do you arrive in Bayonne/sjpdp? Who are you flying with? Wishing you a Buen Caamino.

Thanks for your thoughts. I am now thinking of making out way to sjddp and going to Valcarlos (still not sure of logistics) and next day walking some of the way with the husband and children until the road appears less safe - and then I will return back to Valcarlos with our children, collect the luggage and get a taxi to Roncesvalles. Depending on the weather. Our youngest does not have the best road sense and juggling him, narrow walking on the road plus cars on potentially icy roads/snow is not a risk I want to take. My husband said he may or may not hail the taxi as we pass him lol.

Felipe - I am finding a number of places are still closed in March - thank you for reminding me that the Pilgrim Office will be able to offer me advice - I dont think we will need to rush to book our accommodation for early March!

Thanks again for the advice and input.

Hola Gumba,
Ah, the tyranny of distance (a fellow Brisbanite here)! Firstly, I have my doubts about your walking poles being allowed as carry on luggage in Europe, unless they are the type that collapses down enough to fit inside your backpacks? I use Leki's and have never tried to take them as carry on, either on the long haul flights or the short hops. I put my pack and sticks in a cheap ($5) Ikea "Frakta" trunk bag which I fold up and shove into my backpack for walking (weighs next to nothing). This bag affords my backpack a bit of protection from rough handling, and gives me a bit of extra room for the inevitable post-Camino shopping.
With regards to your proposed timetable, I guess jet lag from the trip from Brisbane to Europe affects different people to varying extents. Personally, I like to have at least a couple of days "in country" before I start walking. The stretch from SJPdP to Roncesvalles, via either route, can be very challenging even in early April. I would not discourage you from your plans, however I respectfully suggest it might be pretty tough on the kids.
Whatever you decide, be gentle with yourselves, and I wish you Buen Camino.

Hi Gumba
I am flying Singapore Airlines and get in around 7.30am. I am not getting the train until 1pm as I have some things to do in Paris. I am arriving into Bayonne at about 4.30pm. You might be able to get an earlier train or even one that leaves from Paris airport. Just check the schedules for that day as they do change from day to day. This was the best option for me but as Kanga said maybe Madrid may suit if you decide on not starting in St Jean. I am taking my time and having two nights in SJPDP to hopefully get over jet lag and then just walking on to Orisson the following day. Getting very excited now.... good luck with your plans and Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@Gumba the walk from SJPDP to Valcarlos is quite easy and if you can take the path the whole way - a delightful introduction to the Camino. The albergue at Valcarlos is also excellent. The following day, the walk from Valcarlos to Roncesvalles, is quite tough but not too far. From your comments you have obviously researched the walk, and as you say the road is quite narrow in places, but traffic is light. Consider some reflective strips on clothing and/or walking poles (cheap rolls available from Bunnings) or reflective vests on your lead/last person.

Do be aware that from Valcarlos upto Roncesvalles monastery there are neither shops nor potable water. Be prepared!

@Gumba the walk from SJPDP to Valcarlos is quite easy and if you can take the path the whole way - a delightful introduction to the Camino. The albergue at Valcarlos is also excellent. The following day, the walk from Valcarlos to Roncesvalles, is quite tough but not too far. From your comments you have obviously researched the walk, and as you say the road is quite narrow in places, but traffic is light. Consider some reflective strips on clothing and/or walking poles (cheap rolls available from Bunnings) or reflective vests on your lead/last person.
Thanks for the info Kanga. I was thinking of vests but didn't want the extra items lol - thanks for the tip re strips from Bunnings - I never would have thought of that. Will buy some and plaster the poles the boys as well lol. Actually, something like this might not be a bad idea for the days walking on the road when it is raining or grey... Or do you think it is overkill?

upload_2017-7-18_14-30-42.jpeg
(image from safetybright.com)

Thanks for that mspath. I assume the shops in Valcarlos will be open during the first week of March and we can get supplies before we head out.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Valcarlos is a small village. It might be best to buy the supplies you need when you first arrive in the village. That way you can leave when you wish in the morning. Often I have left just at dawn well before most shops are open; the albergue has a pleasant kitchen so you can prepare your own breakfast.

Buen camino to you and your family!

Last edited:
Oh, thanks for that. We probably will leave quite early too - great tip.

@Gumba I don't think safety vests are overkill at all. Maybe not too visible under a backpack. The reflective tape comes in a big roll, enough to do everyone's trekking sticks, backpacks and sleeves of rain gear. It peeled off my trekking sticks unless I wound it right around, so it was sticking to itself. Have a play at home - plus a bit of fun for everyone!

On the Norte I had an orange trekking umbrella - that was useful too.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sorry but it is not a good idea, as said before the weather can be bad in March and the passage of the pyrenees are very often close in March due to snow. you can find many storries on the web. You can check before you leave.
On the camino, you have to take the time, don't put aim or target to be reached within a a tight program, the important part of the camino is the camino itself; to be on the way, just to be on the way. You can have a plan as a basis but just follow every day and adjust every day what you can do the next day. This is especially true for the children; the camino is not so easy and everything can happen.

@Jose chemin The Valcarlos route is very rarely closed to walkers in March and the Route Napoleon is always closed to walkers from November to March including. Buen Camino, SY

Thanks Kanga, hadn't considered Madrid. I will look in to it. Yes, East Coast. I would prefer to start at Roncesvalles but hubby has his heart set on starting at SJ. Will give it more thought.

"Keep in mind that in March the weather may be awful. Even the road to Valcarlos is unpleasant with snow and snowplows!"
Thanks for the input Flacon. This has me worried... To be honest, I know the weather could be vile, but I have yet to really grasp the concept, coming from a warm climate....

My son has just booked flight to Barcelona and will train to Pamplona and bus to st Jean.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My son has just booked flight to Barcelona and will train to Pamplona and bus to st Jean.
Ooohhh, do you know is travel times and how he is getting to SJ? How dong will it take from Barcelona to SJ? Is he flying from Perth to Barcelona? Hope he has a wonderful time.

Last edited:
Hi Gumba, Travelling from Perth with Qatar . We love Barcelona,but he will only stay one night there. Book train in advance through raileurope .au to Pamplona,probably 9.30 train then 1430 bus to St Jean
. I'm helping him as I am an addict.;-) I have booked Orisson and Belairi for him and Belairi advises that we book Roncesvalles also. He leaves Perth 19th September.
(he has a cat called Gumba) :)

Yes, you have done a few trips!!! Thanks for the info. What a great name for a cat!!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back