• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

traveling to SJPP

Nora

Hi there,

I'm sorry I've come to spam this forum with my questions about NOT walking the Camino from Le Puy... I was planning on doing so, but since it is the first time on the Camino and I would be starting short after the busiest season - September, after all it seemed better to start from Saint-Jean Pied-de-Port. Even though i would love to pass Conques again... some other time.
Now, what I wanted to ask is this. Does anyone know how to get to SJPP from Chalon-sur-Saone (near Cluny)? I will be there in august, to say it precisely: in Taizé. And in September i will start to go to SJPP. It would be ideal if the trip would not be very expensive, and it would be even better if i could hop-on and hop-off. but i'm sure that's kind of difficult.
I don't know if Eurolines does national trips in France? or maybe some other bus company? or any other way to get there?

Thanks a thousand times!!

Nora

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well, I can't answer your question about travelling through France, but I can say that you are NOT spamming the forum. :) You have a question that needs answering? Ask it. We're a friendly bunch. We don't bite. :) I know there are several people here who will be able to help you. :) Buen Camino!!

Kelly

I can not answer your question. I try myself to find out how to get to and from local places on the Le-Puy-route. It is not as easy as in Spain. Not so many long-distance-busses. May be you should go to Lyon, which is not far from Cluny. I have been going to and from Lyon several times to get around in this part of France. Fast trains can take you from there to the western part of the country, where you can take a local train to SJPP.

But what I wanted to suggest is this: Why not start where you are - in Taize? There is a marked route from Cluny to Le Puy. I walked there last summer. Nice. We met four other walkers for two weeks. ... Just a suggestion. I see that you ask for something else, but like to tell people that Cluny - Le Puy is worth walking.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A good way to travel in France is by train, as you well know I'm sure.
In your case, SNCF will take you to St-Jean PD Port as follows:
Chalon-sur-Saone - Paris (TGV)
Paris-Bayonne (TGV)
Bayonne - StJPdP (Local)
Total travel time is 10 hours and cost approx 100 euros.
Cheers,
Jean-Marc

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.