• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Traveling Unvaccinated to France

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

sherry Lee

Time of past OR future Camino
Past and future
Hi Tom, I was having a coffee near the COVID test center at Madrid airport yesterday, while waiting for my results, when a vaguely familiar pilgrim walked over to my table. He said “Hello Tom.” It was Neil from New York. He had stayed with us the night before he stayed in Grañon. I never thought I’d see any of our peregrinos again.
Hello I’m no to the side… I am Hiking the El Camino in April 2022 I am not vaccinated… Is it possible to do this journey from the states to France to do this journey unvaccinated

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sherry:

it is very early to know the answer to your question since Covid rules for traveling frequently change, especially internationally. There are other discussion threads on this site that deal exclusively with your question, so I would seek more info there.

Overall, traveling unvaccinated to France and Spain is highly discouraged and you will find it very difficult. You may not be allowed to board your plane/bus/train, enter restaurants, sleep in hotels/hostels. There are usually exceptions if you have a certificate of recovery from Covid or you routinely take Covid tests (every 3 days), but even those exceptions can change at any time. This part of Europe is extremely proud of their high vaccination rate and they are constantly on watch for new surges in cases (currently happening in unvaccinated children).

If I were unvaccinated, I would choose to stay home until this pandemic truly resolves.

I’ve moved these comments to a separate thread in the covid section.

@Vacajoe is right to point out that these regulations change frequently. There will probably be several changes between now and April 2022.

But as of right now, here is what the US government says.

The French government has published a notice stating that the United States will be dropped from the “Green” category of nations with respect to COVID-19 travel restrictions at midnight on September 12. As a result, travelers coming from the United States will now be subject to “Orange” country rules. Fully vaccinated travelers* will see no change in entry restrictions. Unvaccinated or partially vaccinated travelers will need a negative COVID test before departure and again upon arrival, self-isolate for seven days upon arrival, and take a PCR test at the end of the self-isolation period. Additional rules on departing France for the United States also come into effect.

I think the US embassy website is a good place to start your investigation next spring.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello Sherry Lee and welcome to the forum. Nobody can know what will happen in the future, so nobody can tell you now what the rules will be next april.

But in Europe the topic of vaccination is being taken very seriously. In Austria for example a covid vaccine is mandatory now for everyone. In France, as far as I know, currently you need either the vaccination, official proof of past Covid infection or a recent negative Covid test for most activities (from end of november negative test results are only valid for 24 hours, if I read the french government website correctly, which would mean a new test every day if you want to eat in restaurants for example).

With the numbers rising again in many EU countries and with some ICUs filled beyond capacity already, it seems unlikely that the rules will get less strict in the next months. It's more likely to be the opposite. But of course it's all speculation at the moment.

Probably best to start your research on this next year, closer to your departure date.

Personally I wouldn't recommend travelling unvaccinated even if it's possible, for your own and other people's safety.

Happy planning and buen Camino!

Hello Sherry,
As other people have said above - who knows what the story will be in Spring ‘22? But Covid will certainly not be gone by then.
To give you some idea of the approach currently being taken in France - just today Olivier Veran (govt minister ) at a press conference said the tests used by non-vaccinated people to enter public spaces will no longer have a validity coverage of 72 hours - they are to be decreased to 24 hours of validity. Daily tests as you walk?
To date very nearly 90% of over 12yos in France have been vaccinated.
Where vaccinated over 65yos have not received their booster (V3 in most cases) by mid-December, they will have their Pass Sanitaire withdrawn.
Sometime in the new year this restriction will be extended to younger people also. The govt is saying - get your booster, immunity is waning.
Have you considered the practicality and ethics of trying to operate as an unvaccinated foreigner in a country that has successfully made great efforts to vaccinate most of its own population?
Hère (and in Spain) this success in vaccination levels is partly in response to fulfilling our social contract to protect the elderly and vulnerable, and also greatly in response to govt pressures.
Whatever the reasons for the strong vaccine participation in a country - should one not consider participating in the national norms (unless excluded from vaccination for medical reasons) before coming to travel through that country as a guest?
Under conditions that prevail on the Camino - people in close contact, migratiing in varying groupings, and under physical stress - we have perfect circumstances for spreading disease.
So - spare a thought for would-be fellow walkers and for the wonderfully hospitable people living on, and servicing the Camino - and who can’t escape us walkers - before you venture in unvaccinated.

Very helpful tip re refund process.

Finally may I say that I have been repeatedly appalled by the fact that most pilgrims make no serious effort to learn a little Spanish and know next to nothing about Spanish history, geography, culture and society. If intending pilgrims were to read a book or use the internet to familiarise themselves just a little with past and present-day Spain, not only would it enrich their experience of walking a Camino, but it would also facilitate their day-to-day life, e.g., understanding and adapting to the hours when Spanish shops are open for business, realising that there are more public holidays in Spain than most other countries, etc..

You might want to avoid posting that lyric here :);)

Have you considered the practicality and ethics of trying to operate as an unvaccinated foreigner in a country that has successfully made great efforts to vaccinate most of its own population?

So - spare a thought for would-be fellow walkers and for the wonderfully hospitable people living on, and servicing the Camino - and who can’t escape us walkers - before you venture in unvaccinated.
Absolutely.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello I’m no to the side… I am Hiking the El Camino in April 2022 I am not vaccinated… Is it possible to do this journey from the states to France to do this journey unvaccinated
There are reasons why some people cannot be vaccinated and there are some strongly held opinions as to why someone might choose to not be vaccinated. That’s a matter for you alone.

Currently, yes, you can - but with stipulations as to testing and self-isolation. In the future, we don’t know.

There are reports of proposals in the EU to further restrict unencumbered free movement to those only <9 months post vaccination, so as to encourage third or ‘booster’ vaccination. Whilst not yet confirmed, my sense is that it’s going to get more not less difficult for the unvaccinated.,

There are reasons why some people cannot be vaccinated and there are some strongly held opinions as to why someone might choose to not be vaccinated. That’s a matter for you alone.

Currently, yes, you can - but with stipulations as to testing and self-isolation. In the future, we don’t know.

There are reports of proposals in the EU to further restrict unencumbered free movement to those only <9 months post vaccination, so as to encourage third or ‘booster’ vaccination. Whilst not yet confirmed, my sense is that it’s going to get more not less difficult for the unvaccinated.,
Today it was in the news (I have no link right now) that the EU will revoke the corona certificate if you haven't got a third "booster" dose. I got it 4 days ago.

Europe is now the epicentre of the world, covid-wise, so stronger measures are likely to be implemented soon. Going to Europe in the foreseeable future, unvaccinated, will give anyone a hard time.

IMHO: Irresponsible.

Edit: Link here: https://www.euronews.com/2021/11/25/france-pushes-booster-vaccines-and-makes-masks-mandatory

Published 25 Nov 2021, 18:00...

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back