• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Traveling with backpack

AndyTomas

Time of past OR future Camino
May (2019)
Hi guys,

I was wondering if someone has advise regarding traveling with backpack. I mean, I’m scared that at the airport someone can open my backpack, while moving it inside the airplane, and take something inside.
There is something that I can do to avoid this fear?
Any advice?

Thanks

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you are so anxious about possible theft then perhaps you should travel with cabin baggage only. That way it will only be out of your sight once in the overhead storage space on your flight. Many people find that with careful packing they can easily travel within the cabin baggage limits and rules.

If you are so anxious about possible theft then perhaps you should travel with cabin baggage only. That way it will only be out of your sight once in the overhead storage space on your flight. Many people find that with careful packing they can easily travel within the cabin baggage limits and rules.
Yes, take it into the cabin with you. Most backpacks that people take on the Camino should fit into the overhead bins.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My backpack is 38L and it weight 5.5kg. I thought that was too big to bring with me inside the cabin, but at this stage I will try.
What do you think?
Thanks

My backpack is 38L and it weight 5.5kg. I thought that was too big to bring with me inside the cabin, but at this stage I will try.
What do you think?
Thanks
Check the allowable measurements of your airline, then measure your backpack. Don't go by the maximum measurements from the manufacturer, because you should be able to compress it down quite a bit.

Lots of people fly with that weight and size, though specific airlines have different restrictions so check with them.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Measure the actual length, width and depth of your bag.

I've carried my 45L bag into the cabin as the length is just short enough. I've even managed to get it into a Ryanair flight by compressing the heck out of it. Wear your bulky items on the flight, carry your jacket with pockets filled and use any personal item (eg purse) to load up items to make that bag fit.

Yeah but I’m bringing a few things that are more than 100ml, like deodorant, toothpaste and a razor too.

Yeah but I’m bringing a few things that are more than 100ml, like deodorant, toothpaste and a razor too.
Razors are okay on board. As far as the other toiletries, take smaller sizes or buy them in Spain.
Or you can check a small bag with the items that can't go on board with you. I don't like to check my backpack, because although it's rare that luggage goes missing, it would be easier to replace a few items than my entire kit.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I regularly carry on a 40l backpack - the weight is the thing - 5kg should be fine. Just dump the bigger liquids - you don't want to be carrying larger bottles of liquids while you are walking anyways. Razors are fine. Pocketknifes and walking poles are more likely to cause an issue

I would not worry. The chance of an airport worker stealing from someones luggage is slim.

But it does sound like you can carry it onboard from reading previous replies.

Andy, we all have a million worries before our first camino, almost all prove to be nonsensical once you start walking.

Well, apart from the lack of chili sauce in Spain and getting addicted to walking camino's!

Davey

Another option is to have it shrink wrapped before you check it in. There is a fee, I've never done it but seen many people having it done.

Have traveled far and wide with a 48L pack taken onboard (and with with rubber tip telescoping poles inside). No issues.

If you decide not to take it as cabin luggage, you could have it ‘cling-film wrapped’. Check if your airport has this facility. Never used it myself but it’s a thought...

Hi Andy,

Truth is that with all but the most high end hard shell luggage getting into your bag either with a brute force or lock picking attack is laughably easy, see numerous videos on Youtube for proof. At least with a backpack you look like a person who is unlikely to be carrying high value items, as soon as you start adding security devices however that perception may change.

My advice for travelling with a backpack would be DON'T carry any valuables in it while not in your sight and make sure all straps are secured so as not to get stuck in baggage machinery.

38l should however be no problem as hand luggage, I regularly carry a 45-55l on budget airlines with no problem. @trecile is right to suggest either smaller toothpaste and deodorant or buying it there, I switched from spray to a small roll-on deodorant while on camino which saved on bulk and weight.

Buen camino,

Rob.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We have our backpacks wrapped in the cling film. We do it from the point of view of keeping the straps safe from tearing but it is a good safety incentive too. We stow our packs as we have the poles in them

I just arrived in SJPP from the US. I wrapped my backpack in plastic and used shipping tape to seal it. You could use a sturdy garbage bag or better yet a trash compactor bag to do the job. I left out the handle for the pack so they could grab it and attached my information tag to it. I’ve done this several times now successfully. Buen Camino!

I was wondering if someone has advise regarding traveling with backpack. I mean, I’m scared that at the airport someone can open my backpack, while moving it inside the airplane, and take something inside.
Any advice?

Thanks
[/QUOTE]

PS— I sent it as checked luggage and it came through just fine. That way you don’t have to worry about the contents. Also you still have your carryon things—which for me are old clothes that I wear and throw away before I depart on the Camino.

I just arrived in SJPP from the US. I wrapped my backpack in plastic and used shipping tape to seal it. You could use a sturdy garbage bag or better yet a trash compactor bag to do the job. I left out the handle for the pack so they could grab it and attached my information tag to it. I’ve done this several times now successfully. Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi guys,

When I checked-in, the carrier counter clerk provided me a "large" "clear" (transparent) plastic bag for my backpack coupled with trekking poles". I "secured" the wrapped bag.

However, I was required to check-in the "wrapped bag" in a designated area for security scan. I did it both outbound and inbound without problem.

Have your back pack wrapped at the airport, that is what we normally do. We come from Africa and never had any bad experience with our luggage this way. Forget about taking your oversized pack as cabin luggage, that way you will not inconvenience your fellow passengers.

Thanks to everybody!
You guys are amazing!!!
After many questions in the last few months and a lot of advice read, tonight will be my last night (only for the next 3 weeks) sleeping in my bed. It’s time to pack everything and tomorrow I’ll flight to Pamplona 😍😍😍

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks to everybody!
You guys are amazing!!!
After many questions in the last few months and a lot of advice read, tonight will be my last night (only for the next 3 weeks) sleeping in my bed. It’s time to pack everything and tomorrow I’ll flight to Pamplona 😍😍😍
¡Buen Camino!

What do you think?
Thanks
I had a similar size pack and had no problem brining in as a carry-on into the cabin. However, I checked in my hiking poles and nail clipper, etc.

What do you think?
Thanks
That sounds as if it should easily fit in the overhead. Burn Camino
PS— I sent it as checked luggage and it came through just fine. That way you don’t have to worry about the contents. Also you still have your carryon things—which for me are old clothes that I wear and throw away before I depart on the Camino.

l
What do you think?
Thanks
reposting: your size and weight should be fine. I just flew in with 36L backpack and 5 kg wight with no problems.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi guys,

Any advice?

Thanks
We have just arrived in Paris from Tasmania Australia. We took our clothes in a Woolworths bag and put our packs inside a used suitcase. When we get to st jean tomorrow we will dispose of the suitcase and the bags :) I was worried that someone could get into pack and also if packs went missing with everything in them :)

You will never have a problem with any pack under 50 liters on a plane. If you are bringing poles and a knife put those in a tube and check them. If they get lost it is a much smaller pain in the bottom then losing your pack and it ending up in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.
That would truly be a nightmare.
I never check my pack.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi guys,

Any advice?

Thanks

Plan B: relax.... and take valuables (phone, camera, passport, etc.) with you in the cabin and take your backpack as checked luggage.

How many times have you heard of things being pilfered from checked luggage, esp when flying with the major airlines? In all of my flying - national and international, I have had no issues with theft from checked luggage and know no-one that has either...

When flying Oz to Paris and return CF2017, I stashed my backpack in a duffle bag and put a small padlock on the zipper - not entry proof, but would take a little time to get into the dufflebag and then into the backpack... Primary reason for the duffle bag was to minimise the risk of straps being caught in baggage handling machinery, and the duffle bag then required sending SJPP to Santiago...

Flying Oz to Paris and Madrid to Oz for CF 2018, I merely bound up every loose strap on the backpack - not entry proof, but not inviting entry either... Took me 10 minutes to get the backpack back to working condition.

CP 2019 -will do the same.

Yes, I have no doubt that theft from checked luggage does happen, but the reputable airports/airlines are on to the problem and have installed cameras to minimise the risk..

Razors are okay on board. As far as the other toiletries, take smaller sizes or buy them in Spain.
Or you can check a small bag with the items that can't go on board with you. I don't like to check my backpack, because although it's rare that luggage goes missing, it would be easier to replace a few items than my entire kit.
We arrived in Paris yesterday. Checked our bags, wrapped in clingfilm and put into a big dry sack. This was because we wanted to bring our Pacer Poles. My husband's rucksack was not on the carousel! However, it was eventually found. Would have preferred to put bags in the cabin because of the chance of this happening. We did however carry a few items in a lightweight carry on just in case!

Buen Camino, hope you have a wonderful time.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
At the risk of sounding self-righteous, SIX respondents have suggested using "cling film" wrap and one even suggests taking a suitcase and throwing it away - no wonder younger generations are disgusted by our actions.
As you trudge your weary way west and shake your head in dismay as yet another plastic bag flutters, snagged on a bush, ponder on where your clingfilm might have ended up. 56037

Sermon over . . .

Back to the OP's point: if it's so valuable or irreplaceable that you worry about something getting stolen then just don't take it with you.

Hi guys,

Any advice?

Thanks
There is usually a kiosk at the airport which will shrink wrap your bag before you check in. The cost was about $15 when I flew last year.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
At the risk of sounding self-righteous, SIX respondents have suggested using "cling film" wrap and one even suggests taking a suitcase and throwing it away - no wonder younger generations are disgusted by our actions.
As you trudge your weary way west and shake your head in dismay as yet another plastic bag flutters, snagged on a bush, ponder on where your clingfilm might have ended up. View attachment 56037

Sermon over . . .

Back to the OP's point: if it's so valuable or irreplaceable that you worry about something getting stolen then just don't take it with you.

I'm glad I'm not the only one this has occurred to. I've seen the cling film wrappers in operation at airports and they go through ridiculous amounts of the stuff.

Hi guys,

Any advice?

Thanks
I always carry mine on board the plane and put it in the overhead bin. I never let it out of my sight. But in case something happens, I carry my passport, phone, money, ID, and credit card(s) in a fanny pack.

Measure the actual length, width and depth of your bag.

I've carried my 45L bag into the cabin as the length is just short enough. I've even managed to get it into a Ryanair flight by compressing the heck out of it. Wear your bulky items on the flight, carry your jacket with pockets filled and use any personal item (eg purse) to load up items to make that bag fit.
I have an Osprey Talon 44L and will be taking it to the Camino. I doubt I'll fill it up as I plan to travel extremely light. I just don't want to go to the expense of buying a smaller pack. I'm hoping the frame of the pack will fit overhead in the smaller planes!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Carry on only. If you have walking poles, make sure they break down and fit INSIDE the pack. To get the pack onboard, attention must be given to minimizing weight. To save the concern of unwanted baggage getting into the pack, use a rain cover until entering the TSA area. Remove it for that and put is back on. It keeps pickpockets away too.

I have an Osprey Talon 44L and will be taking it to the Camino. I doubt I'll fill it up as I plan to travel extremely light. I just don't want to go to the expense of buying a smaller pack. I'm hoping the frame of the pack will fit overhead in the smaller planes!
Most packs under 50L can be taken as a carry on, as long as they are not packed to the hilt.

I'd be much more concerned about the straps on the pack getting snagged on the baggage machinery than theft.

When my wife and I travel on our mission trips I take a large (74L) pack, usually at the max checked weight, and another smaller pack with my carry-on necessities. Due to size and weight I have no choice but to check the big pack. The key is I can wear both packs (smaller one in front) and have both hands free to help with my wife's two roller cases.

I found a large canvas duffle bag that I can put the pack in. I also just recently acquired an Ikea Fracta bag that I might be able to use instead (a lot lighter than the canvas bag!). Aside from preventing snags on the straps, the canvas has also taken a few small gashes that might have otherwise meant costly repairs to the pack.

I can't say I actually thought it through, but I spent far less on the canvas bag (and especially the Ikea bag) than I would have by now on cling wrap - without all the attendant hassles of all the trash plastic wrap.

Thanks to everybody!
You guys are amazing!!!
I wonder how you're doing 😊

Thanks to everyone.
I would like to tell you that I just did the check-in at the airport in Rome flying to Madrid and, as many suggest me, I put my backpack as cabin luggage because small enough to fit in the cabin.🍾
Regarding the trekking poles, I took it with me inside the backpack, all good. In Italy, as the airport staffs said, the law regarding trekking poles is not very clear so it depend who will check your backpack under the X-ray. In my case they didn’t complain about it. In addition, they didn’t say nothing even about, razor, lighter, deodorant, which was 160ml 😂 and the toothpaste which was 110ml! Unbelievable.....😂😂😂

Anyway now I’m ready to embark to fly to Madrid in a few minutes 😍 and then bus straight to Pamplona!

I’ll see you there......

Ciaooooo

Hi guys,

Any advice?

Thanks

Hi Andy Tomas, at the airport you could have it wrapped with cellophane (if the airport you fly from provides this service for a fee), so that nobody can get to it .
Just a thought.
Buen camino

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What do you think?
Thanks
Don't measure it by the liters but by the dimensions . My 48 liter pack fits very well it is only 21 inches tall when packed . I travel a lot and only use my pack to travel with. Some airlines are setting weight limits on carry on items. Check with your carrier.

Another option is to have it shrink wrapped before you check it in. There is a fee, I've never done it but seen many people having it done.
Who does the shrinking? Does that include poles?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You will never have a problem with any pack under 50 liters on a plane. If you are bringing poles and a knife put those in a tube and check them. If they get lost it is a much smaller pain in the bottom then losing your pack and it ending up in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.
That would truly be a nightmare.
I never check my pack.
Don't bet on that! Some of the budget airlines have surprisingly small size limits, and a few have weight limits.

Who does the shrinking? Does that include poles?
I dont know if its all airports, but I definitely have seen it at a few, in the area before check in. I dont know what it costs; if you have to book it or anything.

I dont know if its all airports, but I definitely have seen it at a few, in the area before check in. I dont know what it costs; if you have to book it or anything.
I've seen it at several airports, my local one (Bristol, UK) charges £12.50. You don't need to book in advance but it's worth allowing a bit of time to find the bag wrap location. Given the cost of good packs and the amount of hassle if your pack is damaged, I reckon it's worth it.

Another option which I now use is to have a stuff sack big enough to take your pack. That will protect the straps so they won't get caught in the baggage handling machinery and at the other end you can use it as a waterproof pack liner. I've also seen people use a strong plastic sack for the same purpose, I gather the security people pefer clear sacks rather than black ones because they can see what's inside.

For security, if you have a pack with a roll top or a stuff sack for transport, you can usually slide a cable tie through the securing clips so that it can't just be opened. Similarly a small cable tie can be put through the pulls on a zip. If the security people need to inspect it, it can easily be cut so they are happy with that. Pop a tiny set of nail clippers in your cabin bag and those will cut the cable tie when you arrive.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Someone recently suggested buying a collapsible holdall and packing the rucksack inside. I've just bought one of these. Very cheap and I think it will work really well. When not in use it folds neatly into its own pouch .
Should I need to use daily bag transfer on the Camino I could put the bulk of my pack stuff into the holdall and just carry a small amount in my well fitting rucksack. This idea has been suggested by other forum members.
No cling film and a reusable holdall. Win, win.

Some European low cost airlines state that their overhead lockers have limited capacity and that some passengers will have their carry on luggage taken at the boarding gate and put in the hold.

Rather than worry I would merely check the carry on baggage allowance dimensions and weight for any airline you are using. As others have said. most Camino packs will be OK as cabin luggage, but check!

If you have liquids, sharps, poles, check them in using a mailing tube.....or two.
Have done this three times. No hassle, no stress.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Some European low cost airlines state that their overhead lockers have limited capacity and that some passengers will have their carry on luggage taken at the boarding gate and put in the hold.

That's why you have to check their specific rules and measure / weigh your pack. ....
It isn't hard folks.... ;)

afternote. Sorry @FLEUR. You were making a different point. That regardless of size it could still be taken from you if the cabin lockers fill up. I think I would just say I have fragile stuff in it and demand I keep it with me.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.