• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travelling alone on the Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
No - not at all.
Be sensible - as you would at home - especially in the cities. Don't drink too much and then walk alone to the albergue. Be aware of your surroundings. You can always find someone to walk with if you are feeling uncomfortable.
Hundreds - thousands of women walk the Camino on their own.
You'll be fine!

Hi! Travelling alone is the way to go. You have more freedom. Sillydoll as (almost) always is right that you just have to be sensible and aware. As a pilgrim you have a kind of 'status' in a country which is still culturally religious even though the number of people who practise it is declining. You'll have drivers pipping their horns at you; not because you're a woman and they're letcherous, but because you're a pilgrim and they're offering encouragement and respect. Buen Camino! :D

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hape Kerkeling wrote his best seller "OK I'm Off Then" that there were luscious senoritas on the Camino just waiting for a blond, Ayrian man to sweep them off their feet. Nearly every, hot-blooded young stud from Germany hit the trail in 2010.

Thomas - are those out of work, aggressive young men from France by any chance? Don't be too sure that the women are easier prey than young men. There are a lot of lonely, female preadators out there just waiting to hit on a fresh young Frenchman on the Camino!

sillydoll said:
There are a lot of lonely, female preadators out there just waiting to hit on a fresh young Frenchman on the Camino!
Are there any looking for a Scotsman? :D

I can't relate to the risks Thomas refers to. OK, I'm a man, but I've never heard of women feeling threatened or intimidated on my Caminos. 'Walking alone' tends to mean leaving home alone, but the reality is that you're unlikely to be alone once you've hit the Camino and meet other pilgrims unless it's the depths of winter or on a quiet route.

Yes take precautions especially in significant towns and cities, but I think you're probably more at risk passing through Paris or Madrid rather than anywhere on the route.

Buen Camino!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I think this was an irreverent post by a Frenchman with his tongue firmly in his cheek!

sillydoll said:
I think this was an irreverent post by a Frenchman with his tongue firmly in his cheek!
Doh! I hope it was. :lol: Buen Camino!

This whole post is the opposite of what is the normal opinion of well experienced Pilgrims who post on this forum.
In three Caminos, I can't think that I have seen or heard of any case of .."agressive young men in Spain who are out of work and spend their time sitting around smoking cigarettes, spitting and looking for easy targets to rob".
Let alone attacked and raped. :roll:

The Camino is a safer place for women alone than almost any place I know.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thomas Hugues said:
You should think twice about going alone. Girls are more likely to be hit on, attacked or even raped along the camino.

This is scaremongering in the extreme with absolutely no evidence to back up these false claims.

Thomas Hugues said:
There are a lot of agressive young men in Spain who are out of work and spend their time sitting around smoking cigarettes, spitting and looking for easy targets to rob.

Wow - talk about racial stereotyping. This is just nonsense. Yes there is a problem with youth unemployment in Spain as in other European countries but this does not mean that young people are hanging around (spitting!!!) waiting for people to rob.

Thomas Hugues said:
If I were a girl, I'd think about asking a friend to go with me. It might be a good idea to make a friend early and walk with them the whole way. Protection in numbers.
Buen Camino ! :

Many people form friendships and walk with others on the camino. They do this spontaneously and not out of the kind of fear this post might engender.

Now France...don't get me started about the French :) :)

I've walked in Spain and in France by myself and don't have any hesitation in doing so on any of the pilgrim routes. You just exercise the same caution that you would at home.

You will very quickly meet others and there will be no shortage of companions if you feel at any stage that you don't want to walk alone.

Thomas Hugues said:
You should think twice about going alone. Girls are more likely to be hit on, attacked or even raped along the camino. There are a lot of agressive young men in Spain who are out of work and spend their time sitting around smoking cigarettes, spitting and looking for easy targets to rob. If I were a girl, I'd think about asking a friend to go with me. It might be a good idea to make a friend early and walk with them the whole way. Protection in numbers. Buen Camino ! :

Quite possibly one of the dumbest things I have ever read...

Single female currently walking lone with no issues having met many others like me. Just do it

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thomas - I honestly thought you were kidding when you posted those comments about "agressive young men in Spain who are out of work spending their time sitting around smoking cigarettes, spitting and looking for easy targets to rob."

It was such an outrageous thing to say that I really, honestly thought you were taking the Mickey out of the Forum!!

I am shocked at the fear mongering, after 4000 km on pilgrim trails I have not encountered serious issues, important to have the right vibes around you and take basic precautions, but I have found respect and good will all along the routes I have walked, I don't think it is constructive to install fear, gitti

Hi Everyone,

This is only a story, but I think it is very typical of what happens:
When I arrived at the albergue in Portugalate a little late, I met a young French woman who had started her Camino that day in Bilbao. We talked in the dormitory for quite a while and she expressed her concerns about being alone on the Camino. Her fears were not only about any kind of harassment, she was worried over whether she could navigate The Way without help. I told her not to worry and that she'd soon find many friends her age if she wished walking companions. Two days later I met her again and she was walking with two young Dutch women and having a fine time. Two more days later I met her and she was walking alone. I asked her about walking alone and she said that, after the first few days, she much preferred the solitude and wasn't afraid at all.

I believe this is pretty typical. However, one caveat. Walking alone on the Norte can be a challenge for anyone of any age because, in places, you are really isolated on a mountain trail that can be hazardous in wet weather. But for me, the rewards far outweighed any kind of risk.

So do walk alone if you want to and Buen Camino,
Giles

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I lived in northern Spain for ten years and never once felt threatened or intimidated by anyone. I am not a woman and would obviously recommend being sensible but there is absolutely nothing to fear.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.