• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travelling Biarritz to Irun?

Lady Explorer

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2012
Camino del Norte & Camino Primitivo 2017
Hello Pilgrims new and old,

I've just read old posts from 2009, and they're incredibly helpful despite having been posted 8 years ago ;)

I'm embarking on my 2nd solo Camino adventure next week, this time the Camino Del Norte and Primitivo. I look forward to meeting some of you on the way. I will be travelling from Cape Town, South Africa and arrive Biarritz on Thursday 7th June 17. I will stay over in France and shuttle through to Irun the following day to begin the walk.

My question following on from the above information, and apologies if it's been answered somewhere in the forum already -

Is it realistic to shuttle from Biarritz to Irun, factoring in the border (France - Spain), arrive in Irun, collect Pilgrim Passport AND begin walking all in one day?

Look forward to any words of wisdom from experienced pilgrims ;)

Ps: I'm an advanced walker, so the fitness is not my concern, more so the time / logistics / distances.

Thanking you each in advance,

Sarah

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Biarritz to Irun will be covered in very little time. Under half an hour by car, in about an hour by public transit, And there are no official border crossings between France and Spain. So yes, you will be out there walking that same morning.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Sarah,

I would recommend getting bus from outside the airport door to Irun, bus No. 816 I believe, if your flight arrival time allows of course. Then stay in Albergue de Peregrinos in Irun, here you will receive a warm welcome, also credential, meet other pilgrims. Its a wonder place to begin the camino, amazing energy! It opens at 4pm

If you must stay in france, then you can probably pick up a credential at the albergue in the morning when the pilgrims are leaving. Otherwise in Irun im not sure where you can get a credential, maybe the church or tourist information.

Buen Camino
Aidan

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi all,

Great info and advice,

Thank-you so much,

I land in Biarritz at 5:40pm, next Wednesday the 7th June. And if all goes according to plan, I'll have found a bus through to Irun and get there in time for pilgrims dinner. Aidan, I'll certainly check out Albergue de Peregrinos, sounds great! It'll still be light at 8pm, so I should be able to navigate my way there easily. Will start walking Thursday 8th June ... as they say in South Africa "Jislaaaik" I'm excited!

Buen Camino!

Hi all,

Great info and advice,

Thank-you so much,

I land in Biarritz at 5:40pm, next Wednesday the 7th June. And if all goes according to plan, I'll have found a bus through to Irun and get there in time for pilgrims dinner. Aidan, I'll certainly check out Albergue de Peregrinos, sounds great! It'll still be light at 8pm, so I should be able to navigate my way there easily. Will start walking Thursday 8th June ... as they say in South Africa "Jislaaaik" I'm excited!

Buen Camino!
U will enjoy it its a nice walk I am doing the Portuguese route on the same day from Valenca Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
May the road rise to meet you
May the wind be at your back

May God hold you in the palm of his hand
Buen Camino to you too LadyExplorer

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back