• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travelling by bike.

ariehlmann

My husband and I will be traveling in July. We are considering going by bike instead of walking since he injured his shoulder and can't carry a bag. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We rode the walkers / off-road route last month. Recomendations - do it early season as it's busy enough then, mid-season could be too busy unless you use the road routes? Also, use a bell ) Anything more than that, you may need to be more specifc in your questions. It's a really nice ride but it is predominantly a walker's route, so I'd recommend riding it if it's a better option for you, on the other hand I'd hesitate to recommend it as a 'must-do' bike route.

You could walk and use a baggage service to carry one or both backpacks. It costs about 5-7 Euro per stage per bag. You can arrange each day with the hospitalero for pickup and delivery. They have a list of places that will accept a backpack (not all will, especially the municipal albergues).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My first recommendation would be to get out on your bikes and do some trial bike rides to see how the shoulder copes with cycling. Build up the trial rides with hills and carrying weight to mimic what cycling the camino will be like. What type of bikes would you ride? Handle bar height affects how much weight and hence stress is placed on arms and shoulders. Road riding will put much less stress on shoulders than going off-road. I have ridden (Camino del Norte) all on road and it was a very enjoyable experience.

Hi

You say that the handle bar height affects how much weight and hence how stress is placed on arms and shoulders - I have not ridden with panniers before and cannot test them out as I'm still waiting to buy some - but with panniers, is it better to have the handlebars lower than your seat or higher?

Cheers,
Rachael

having ridden and walked the camino I would highlight the need for training whichever means one opts for.
Cycling will still require shoulder use - loading, unloading, transfers and also whilst cycling on or off road whilst climbing hilly sections of which there are, of course, many throughout the length of the camino.
Gloves - gel ones especially - can help mitigate vibration but impact will still be felt.
I really would urge caution, preparation and training before embarking on this whilst recuperating.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
rachcarter said:
Hi

You say that the handle bar height affects how much weight and hence how stress is placed on arms and shoulders is it better to have the handlebars lower than your seat or higher?
Rachael
Hi Rachael,
Panniers have no affect on seat height, but seat height does effect how much weight is taken by the arms. Sitting up more (seat lower relative to bar height) lessens body weight taken by the arms and places more on the back side.
The recommended relationship in the UK is usually level saddle and seat height, or seat height not more than one inch above bars. Of course racing cyclists tend to have even higher saddles to overcome air drag, but you won't be racing very fast with loaded panniers!
However, Dutch and German bike tourers usually prefer more "sit up and beg" type bikes with handle bars much higher than used by most UK cyclists. This is more comfortable for leisurely cycling.
To use panniers you will need a rear rack to fit them on. If you already have a rack, just fit something on the rack with bungees to add some trial weight.
I am off in 3 weeks time to cycle the Camino del Norte again. I have gradually, over a few weeks, been adding weight on the rack, plus extending mileage. I am now carrying much more than my loaded panniers will weigh, and over longer distances than we intend to do each day. So I feel confident that I won't have problems when the big day comes!

rachcarter said:
Hi

You say that the handle bar height affects how much weight and hence how much stress is placed on arms and shoulders , is it better to have the handlebars lower than your seat or higher?
Cheers,
Rachael
Further to my earlier reply, I forgot to mention the most important bit!
That is that you must first set the optimum seat height. That remains the fixed point. You then adjust the handle bars up or down to suit your riding position. You do NOT move the saddle up and down. The saddle height determines how effecient your pedalling will be. Too low is very inefficient and puts too much stress on the knee joints. That will lead to injury. Too high and it will also stress the knee due to over extension of the joint, and again is inefficient. You are also likely to get a sore backside, as to compensate you will have to rock your hips which induces a side to side movement over the saddle.
The simplest way to set seat height is to place your heel on the pedal and back pedal (Get someone to hold you up or hold onto something to keep you stationary and upright!). By trial and error set saddle height so that your leg is at full stretch at the bottom of down stroke. Then when you put you foot (ball of foot) on the pedal you will find that your leg is now slightly bent when pedalling. That's it, simple!
Note that to pedal efficiently you put the ball of the foot on the pedal, not the instep. And novices always set the saddle too low, thinking that you should be able to sit on the saddle, both feet on the ground. Wrong! Seat much too low. When you stop, stand up, off the saddle, and you can than get both feet on the ground. Very simple once you get used to stopping correctly.
One last thing. There is of course a limit to how high you can raise the bars without changing bits and pieces. A better option might be to fit an adjustable stem. You can then raise and lower to the most comfortable position by trial and error.

Hi there

Thank you very much for your comprehensive replies which were both interesting and informative. I really appreciate it. I will take your advice and get the seat height correct and then adjust the handle bars and start putting things on my rack to practice.

I see that you are cycling the Camino del Norte again so you must have enjoyed this route. Have you done the Camino Frances? Do you recommend that the Camino del Norte is the better route for cyclists? I am going to start cycling from St Jean PP on July 6 and planned to do the Camino Frances as thought I would have less chance of getting lost on this route - but also worry about the availability of space at the albergues seeing as priority is often given to walkers.

Have a great trip.

Kind regards,
Rachael

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have carried a backpack with a broken collarbone. It was miserable, but I would rather do that than try to bike the Camino with a bad shoulder. It is an easy mountain bike route, but a mountain bike route nonetheless, and no place for a bad shoulder.

The nearby roads might be a viable option, but that is really a very different trip than biking the actual trail. I would say walking, and using baggage transport would be your best option.

rachcarter said:
Hi there
Do you recommend that the Camino del Norte is the better route for cyclists? Kind regards,
Rachael
Hello Rachael,
Having not done the Camino Frances I cannot make a comparison. Looking at the latest pilgrimage statistics (on this site), there are much fewer doing the Norte so it is likely that the hostals will be less crowded. We went in late Aug 2005 and were the only occupants at some hostals, and none were very busy, until we hit the Frances at Arzua.
I can say that it was a great bike ride, and we did it all on road as two of the ladies with us didn't like riding on rough tracks. And dont forget the wonderful sea views on the coastal route!

the availability of space at the albergues seeing as priority is often given to walkers
Generally, in the public albergues, bicyclists are not admitted before 6 p.m. Private albergues set their own rules. Buen camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi there

The sea views would be lovely - and the thought that the albergues may be less full in July is another great advantage. I'll start doing some research on that route. Where are you planning to start the Camino Norte?

Cheers,
Rachael

Ariehlmann, definitely use the baggage service and walk it! I can't carry a heavy backpack for a variety of reasons, so I always send my bags ahead and just wear a day pack. With a bad shoulder, even a day pack might be too heavy for your husband, and of course he needs to carry water. But I'd think if he wore a fuel belt, plus carried a 22-ounce water bottle (the kind that straps onto your hand), he'd be fine.

Melanie

rachcarter said:
Hi there
The sea views would be lovely - and the thought that the albergues may be less full in July is another great advantage. I'll start doing some research on that route. Where are you planning to start the Camino Norte?
Cheers,
Rachael
Hello again Rachael,
In 2005 we flew Stansted, England to Santander and flew back from Santiago. This year we are taking ferry from Portsmouth, England to Santander and thence Camino del Norte. However on return we are cycling to Lugo, then via Camino Primitivo to Oviedo. From Oviedo we detour to Covadonga before heading back down to the coast at San Vicente de la Barquera, and return to Santander.
Just a few places to encourage you, places on the Norte route. We had icecream on the beach at Comillas, crossed over the medieval 32 arched bridge at San Vicente de la Barquera (wonderful estuary views). Another fine estuary to cross at Ribasella. Picnic on the beautiful bay and beach at Colunga. Wonderful sea food and Asturian cider in the fishing village of Cudillero. More interesting little harbours at the fishing villages of Luarca and Tapia de Casariego, and the last sea vista at the wide estuary at Ribadeo. Here, crossing the bridge you enter Galicia and then head inland.
Most (all?) of the places that I have mentioned have hostals, or are very close by.
So get a map out and plan your pilgrimage!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi there

Thanks so much again for all your information. I've just read the write up you did and it's great. Beautiful photos. I'm very excited about the trip - I love seafood and cider - and I just heard today my panniers are arriving with someone on June 11th. I live in Timor Leste so had to find someone coming over. I'm now reading about maps and see people mainly recommend the Michelin ones. I also see that some people download these to their iPhones. I don't have an iPhone but do have a touch iPod so I could figure out how to do that. Do you use paper maps or do you also download them.
Cheers,
Rachael

rachcarter said:
Hi there,
I've just read the write up you did and it's great. Beautiful photos. Do you use paper maps or do you also download them.
Cheers,
Rachael
I'm old school I'm afraid. Maps, not electronic gadgets! I now use the latest version of the Michelin maps.They are hard to beat for quality and detail. These new Zoom series at 1:150,000 are even better. You will need 3 sheets, No.141 Galicia, No.142 Asturias and No.143 Cantabrian Coast, depending on where you decide to start from. The Cambrian coast one goes as far east as Bilboa.I got my maps mail order from Stanfords the map shop in UK, http://www.stanfords.co.uk/ I tried Amazon but they did not have all 3 in stock.
But the most useful info is from the Confraternity of St James guide books. At around ÂŁ5 each they are a real bargain! They provide very detailed route instructions for walking the route, with the alternative route for cyclists. They tell you where every hostal, place to eat, etc, are. Invaluable!
See the listing of Spanish route guides at http://www.csj.org.uk/acatalog/The_CSJ_ ... in_23.html
Finally, for my take on using maps, see my recent offering at http://anerleybc.org/maps-and-navigation-start-here/.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi there

Thanks so much again. Such valuable information! Do you know if those maps are readily available to purchase in Spain? If not, I have booked a hostel in St Jean Pied de Port already in preparation for doing the Camino Frances - so will still start there regardless of the route I take and ask the hotel if I can have the maps sent there. One of the problems of living in Timor Leste is that we have no mail service.

I have one last question. Sorry to have so many. My original plan was to do the Camino Frances and then continue on and do the Camino Portuguese backwards. I am very flexible about where I go as I only have a one way ticket and have about 6 weeks I can be away. But now I am interested in the Camino Norte - so I was wondering whether I should do this first. I fly into Pamplona on June 4, then could cycle from Pamplona to St Jean de Pied de Port, onto Irun and then start the Camino del Norte. From there I could still continue to do the Camino Portuguese.

The reading I've done though suggests it will be very hot there and could be difficult to do the trail backwards - so do you think a better option would be to start with my original plan of doing the Camino Francis and then do the Camino Norte backwards? By then I would be a bit fitter for the hills and hopefully I will have learned a few Spanish phrases as it seems that you need Spanish more on this route. With the Michelin maps - I'm presuming it will be easy enough to follow the green routes back up the coast and try some of the things you've recommended.

Any thoughts from anyone would be great. I'm hoping by the time I get back to Timor I will have enough fitness to do the Tour de Timor in September (which is a 6 day event with a lot of hills).

Cheers,
Rachael

Have a great trip.

Cheers,
Rachael

Hi Rachael,
I will try to answer some of your questions.
First maps. When I checked Amazon, their supplier of the Michelin Zoom Maps for spain, was based in spain. So maps are obviously available there! Large petrol/gasoline/service stations usually stock "local" maps. So in spain they should have Michelin maps of Spain.
Portuguese Way. Two of the ladies who accompanied on our bike ride to Santiago, have also walked the Portuguese route. They did not rate it for cycling.
Norte/Frances. I doubt that there is much to choose between them for hills! It is my understanding that Frances is a much busier route. More cars/lorries, more walking pilgrims, more difficult to get hostel beds. Also much hotter than the coastal Norte route.
If you go out on the Frances, I would not expect you having any difficulty doing Norte in reverse.
Which ever route that you take, it is very useful to speak at least a bit of Spanish. I speak from experience because I needed to speak spanish on a number of occasions and found that I was somewhat lacking! I am trying hard to improve. Have a look at this topic "Learning Easy Spanish" at frequently-asked-questions/topic14029.html

I enthusiastically recommend that you get a professional bike fitting. After destroying my knee (see my other posts) on the Camino, I got a fitting during my rehab process.

By "bike fitting" I do not mean having your local bike shop say "a medium frame should fit." SOME bike shops have people fully trained in bike fitting, but most do not. My fitting took about two hours! It involved everything from changing to a more compact handle bar and shorter stem (both of which might help a bad shoulder) to moving the seat backward (not up or down) to adjusting the cleats on my shoes. I was also shown how to improve my body positions on the bike and techniques for reducing pressure on my knee. The difference in comfort (and even performance) on the bike was night and day. I only wish I had done this years earlier.

Because I was not planning on purchasing a new bike, I actually paid for the service ($150) but it was well worth it. They would have applied that to the purchase of a new bike had I been in the market.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
DesertRain said:
I enthusiastically recommend that you get a professional bike fitting.
Some bike shops have people fully trained in bike fitting, but most do not.
Millions of people ride bikes through out the world without getting a fitting and do not end up with injuries. You were one of the very, very few who had a problem.
Yes there is more to getting a bike set up than just moving the saddle up or down, and the heel on peddle only provides a good approximation. But my reply was to someone who is unlikely to have a pro-fit bike service available. And a full explanation of the "how to" adjust the many variables would be too long, too technical, and probably unnecessary.
I would expect any bike shop worth the name, to be able to adequately set a bike up without all the hi-tech measuring. Also, any cycling enthusiast of a few years (or less) experience.
The internet and you tube are full of info and videos which will help out Mr or Miss Average. OK if you are full-on and dedicated biker, or have injury or other specific problem, then fine, get a pro bike fit, but unnecessary for most. Just get on your bike and enjoy your ride to Santiago.

Picosrider.... I didn't mean to offend you by my relatively benign and positive suggestion. Yes, the bicycle is a miracle that allows millions to just hop on and get places in the most energy efficient manner ever. Yes, the vast majority never even think about the seat height and have a lifetime of fun and transport without issue. Yes, any time I get on a bike I just feel like yelling "WEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!" at the top of my lungs.

But the poster mentioned the shoulder injury and I thought to share my experience. I thought that a fitting might make his particular ride more comfortable since riding with an injury can make people yell "OOOOWWWWWWW" instead. There was no "high tech" measuring, unless you count a tape measure as "high tech." I learned lots, felt better and am able to ride happily again. I thought that was worth sharing. I did not in any way imply that anyone who did not get a fitting was in any way "wrong" or inferior.

I am not a "full-on and dedicated biker (sic)". I am 45. I am a good 40 pounds over weight. My bike is 12 years old and steal, not carbon or titanium or stainless steel or whatever is trendy now. I ride for joy. When I feel like it. Other times, I post on forums where people get a bit pissy when someone posts something they don't agree with 100%.

Meh.... I think I will go for a walk. No need to get measured for that. Although a really good shoe store....

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
rachcarter said:
Hi,
I just wrote a reply to biking-the-camino/topic14181.html#p96573
Regards,
Rachael
Hi Rachael,
The problem with forums, etc, is that you don't know anything about the person you are communicating with. From your original posting about saddle height I assumed that you were a relative newcomer to cycling. Now I can see that you are a veteran and probably more experienced than me! So I don't need to say "Enjoy your experience of the Camino", because I know that you will!

DesertRain said:
I didn't mean to offend you by my relatively benign and positive suggestion. Yes, the bicycle is a miracle that allows millions to just hop on and get places in the most energy efficient manner ever.
Hi DesrtRain, That makes two of us, neither did I! I enjoyed your posting. Humourous and well rounded. We obviously have the same thing in mind, and that is to promote the wonderful experience of cycling the Camino. The statistics show that cyclists only make up about 12% of pilgrims. I did not want people to get the impression that cycling was a complex and expensive alternative to walking. Because we both know that it isn’t!
On the injury front, I can also speak from experience. I passed the biblical three score years and ten a while back, and suffer the wear and tear that old age brings. My knees in particular. Now I suffer considerable pain for days after even a moderate walk. However cycling is not a problem. O.K, I am not as fast as I used to be, and hills seem to get steeper with each passing year, but I can still knock off the miles. I didn’t need a special bike fitting, just lower gears!
There is no way that I could now consider walking even part of the way to Santiago, but on a bike? Yes, yes, yes!

I am glad that we agree.... biking the Camino is great and almost any bike can make the ride. That said, my knee doctor said that riding on anything but pavement is out for me for the rest of my life. :(

So, walking it is. Is it better or worse? Neither. It is different. But if I had the choice, I would yell "WEEEEEEE" all the way to Santiago.

€149,-
DesertRain said:
.. biking the Camino is great and almost any bike can make the ride. .

I really don't feel that "any bike" will work on the Camino. If one plans on seeing the actual trail, a decent bike, and some level of skill is needed. I repair other pilgrim's bikes all the way to Santiago.

Attachments

• anybike.JPG
    anybike.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 670
  • Capture 3.JPG
    Capture 3.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 669

Most read last week in this forum

Ivan. I believe I can rent two bikes through you between Burgos and Leon. Can you let me know if this is possible? I plan to arrive in Burgos on 11 May and start cycling the next day. Thanks
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?
I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back