• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travelling Companions.

Diane Domino

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi everyone. I'm looking to walk the Camino some time in may/june 2019. Looking for fellow walkers of either gender. Planning to walk roughly 10-15 mile per day. Please swing by and say hello if you fancy the company

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
May-June? You will meet plenty of fellow walkers on the Camino (Frances I assume?).

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I'm not sure which route to take yet, and I'm a little apprehensive about travelling alone, hence post.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You may travel to the Camino alone but you certainly won’t have to walk alone. If you’re starting in SJPDP I suggest staying at an albergue like Beilari where they put extra attention on helping people get to know one another. I remain great friends with the people I met at Beilari in 2015.

I'm not sure which route to take yet, and I'm a little apprehensive about travelling alone, hence post.
Well, if you are apprehensive about traveling alone I recommend you walk the Frances. It has the most pilgrims, logistics and infrastructure.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm writing all this down! lol Thank you so much
No need to write it down. Simply purchase a pilgrim's guide. They sell them on this forum.
A pilgrim's guide will tell you everything you need to know to walk the Camino. They are available for the different routes. They sell 2-3 different ones for the Frances on this forum and they are all good. Get one, research and plan accordingly.

Nearly everyone finds the prospect of traveling across the globe to an unknown country where they don't speak the language, to embark on a physical challenge that they don't feel they are ready for, entirely on their own, to be somewhat scary! Why not, it IS scary! Your thought to connect with some traveling companions now is a reasonable reaction.......except that you don't understand the Camino.

The Frances in particular, greets four trains a day carrying fresh pilgrims, most of whom are on their own, and most of whom are just as nervous as you will be. It turns out to be simple to meet people, as early as in the airport on your way. Pilgrims are easily recognized, and all are receptive to sharing the unknown with a fellow traveler. At that time of year, there will be hundreds of people just like you, stepping off the train into the unknown.

So why not set up walking companions in advance? Easy.....you don't know how you will connect as pilgrims. Beyond personalities and motivations, there is the crucial aspect of pace to consider. You must walk the Camino at your own pace, and even you don't know what that pace will be until you set out. Over the first few days, the pilgrims walking at a common pace see each other at every break, and naturally form a community with one another. You will see these same people every day for the next month, and likely walk into the square in Santiago with some of them. Its very unlikely that you can pick these people out off the internet, and somewhat foolish to try.

Don't worry about being alone, it won't last long. Meeting people is the least of your problems. Get your equipment together, pack light, train, and worry about your shoes. These are the real concerns.

Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm not foolish, just ignorant to how this works. The clue is in 'first timer'. All the things you mention, i have considered, and i am simply throwing some questions out., and trying to connect with like-minded folk.

I'm not foolish, just ignorant to how this works. The clue is in 'first timer'. All the things you mention, i have considered, and i am simply throwing some questions out., and trying to connect with like-minded folk.

No offense was intended here, I am trying to help you. What everyone who walks the Frances discovers is once you get there, all of the legitimate-looking worries about being alone, pretty much evaporate in the first few hours. The common experience binds pilgrims together. You can only be alone if you want to be. For some it may be the first time in their lives they have felt being part of a connected community. This is one of the charms that the Camino provides.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello Diane, did you walk Camino in 2019 - prior lockdowns? Or still on your bucket list to walk the Camino? I am planning to start in southern France on 7th April - given that in April the hostels and hotels along the path are re-opened

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.