• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travelling from Barcelona to Sarria

Delightfull

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria - Santiago
Hello everyone,

This year will be my 1st Camino trip, and for the moment I have chosen Sarria to Santiago camino.

I have my flight booked from my country to Barcelona, and I am trying to find the best route to travel from Barcelona to Sarria, on 1st august. Do you what are best travel ships or companies? Do I need to schedule them in advance?

Thank you from my heart.

Andreea

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just a suggestion.
Fly Ryanair to Santiago, then bus to Lugo and Sarria. It could be cheaper and quicker. Use rome2rio.com for details
Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The sleeper train would be my preference. You can book at renfe.com

Just a suggestion.
Fly Ryanair to Santiago, then bus to Lugo and Sarria. It could be cheaper and quicker. Use rome2rio.com for details
Buen Camino.
If you intend to bus to Sarria though Lugo know that you can walk from Lugo a few kilometers on the Primativo to a point where you can get a stamp the required distance from SdC to qualify for the compostela. Then walk from there and have two days of relatively uncrowded walking before joining the CF im Melida.

In a bit of a dilemma. Arriving at 19:15 on 17/11 at Barcelona el Pratt airport. The train for Sarria where I am heading for leaves at 20:20 same day from Barcelona (Todas). If "Todas" means all stops then where is this train actually leaving from? Does anyone know if the time limit is too short or ok for the train? Can I book the train ticket when I know I will make it? Alternatively how can I get to Sarria on time to start my Camino? Sorry I know these questions have been raised before but I cannot seem to figure it out.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Are you saying that you only have 65 minutes from when your international plane flight lands until your train departs? It will take you that long to get off the plane, get your luggage, and go through customs/immigration. Plus you then have to bus/train/taxi to the train station in downtown Barcelona, so that’s at least another 30-45 minutes.

In short, take a later train or plan to get a hotel that night.

In a bit of a dilemma. Arriving at 19:15 on 17/11 at Barcelona el Pratt airport. The train for Sarria where I am heading for leaves at 20:20 same day from Barcelona (Todas). If "Todas" means all stops then where is this train actually leaving from? Does anyone know if the time limit is too short or ok for the train? Can I book the train ticket when I know I will make it? Alternatively how can I get to Sarria on time to start my Camino? Sorry I know these questions have been raised before but I cannot seem to figure it out.

The Train departs Barcelona Sants. However, and sadly, you will have a challenge to make that connection from a 19:15 landing time. Remember, landing-times are "wheels-on-the-ground" not passengers disembarked and in the arrivals lounge. Train and bus journey times are around 20-30 minutes, Taxi perhaps, but not guaranteed to be, quicker.

Alternatives: Find accommodation in Barca and take the 09:00 on Sunday morning; find a flight Barca to Santiago and bus to Sarria via Lugo.

Buena Suerte

The Train departs Barcelona Sants. However, and sadly, you will have a challenge to make that connection from a 19:15 landing time. Remember, landing-times are "wheels-on-the-ground" not passengers disembarked and in the arrivals lounge. Train and bus journey times are around 20-30 minutes, Taxi perhaps, but not guaranteed to be, quicker.

Alternatives: Find accommodation in Barca and take the 09:00 on Sunday morning; find a flight Barca to Santiago and bus to Sarria via Lugo.

Buena Suerte
Thank you. May have to do that.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The trains run every 30 minutes. If you have cabin luggage only and take a taxi (about 12 mins, cost about €25), you should have a fair chance of catching the train. For such a long journey I would pay the extra €60 and upgrade from a seat to a bed and book it in advance on renfe.com

Bear in mind that’s a 1915 SCHEDULED landing time. You would be utterly mad to rely on getting into a train at BCN Sants 65 minutes after a scheduled arrival at El Prat. If you did plan on that you would have a non refundable train ticket (unless you’re going to buy that in your notional 65 minutes as well) and no accommodation booked in Barcelona.

You need to take some risk out of your plans in my opinion.

(sorry - that all sounds unnecessarily harsh. Please excuse me, I’m not having a great day)

Have a good trip, whatever you choose to do.

Last edited:

Your desired Renfe station is Barcelona Sants. If you press the '+' under opciones you get an itinerary.

Your time appreciation is way wrong. There is no way that you will make 2020 train following a 1915 airport arrival. It will take half an hour to get off the plane and collect your bags. Customs will take time too. Transfer from T1 to T2, from where the Cercanias train departs, every 5 minutes and takes 10 minutes. The Cercanias/Rodalies train from Barcelona airport T2 to Sants takes 20 minutes. and runs every half hour. You add this all up and you'll realize that you'll need more than an hour just to get clear of the airport. And you're making a very optimistic assumption that your plane arrives on time.

Yes you can purchase your ticket just prior to boarding. Beware there are often lines that seem to move like molasses.

Other options for travel to Sarria:
a. Fly from Barcelona to Santiago SCL. Catch Empresa Friere bus direct from SCL airport to Lugo. Catch Monbus bus from Lugo to Sarria.

b. Take Renfe train from Barcelona to Madrid. Take Renfe train from Madrid to Sarria. Advantage is more frequent service and therefore possibly faster. Note there are two stations in Madrid; Chamartin and Atocha. You may need to use Cercanias train to transfer from one to the other ... check the details.

Here is Aena Barcelona Airport

Here is Barcelona Sants

Here is Barcelona Rodalies (train from airport to Sants)

Here is Renfe

Here is Aena Santiago Airport

Here is Empresa Friere

Here is Monbus

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Your desired Renfe station is Barcelona Sants. If you press the '+' under opciones you get an itinerary.

Your time appreciation is way wrong. There is no way that you will make 2020 train following a 1915 airport arrival. It will take half an hour to get off the plane and collect your bags. Customs will take time too. Transfer from T1 to T2, from where the Cercanias train departs, every 5 minutes and takes 10 minutes. The Cercanias/Rodalies train from Barcelona airport T2 to Sants takes 20 minutes. and runs every half hour. You add this all up and you'll realize that you'll need more than an hour just to get clear of the airport. And you're making a very optimistic assumption that your plane arrives on time.

Yes you can purchase your ticket just prior to boarding. Beware there are often lines that seem to move like molasses.

a. Fly from Barcelona to Santiago SCL. Catch Empresa Friere bus direct from SCL airport to Lugo. Catch Monbus bus from Lugo to Sarria.

b. Take Renfe train from Barcelona to Madrid. Take Renfe train from Madrid to Sarria. Advantage is more frequent service and therefore possibly faster. Note there are two stations in Madrid; Chamartin and Atocha. You may need to use Cercanias train to transfer from one to the other ... check the details.

Here is Barcelona Sants

Here is Renfe

Here is Empresa Friere

Here is Monbus

Here is Barcelona Sants

Here is Renfe

Here is Empresa Friere

Here is Monbus
Thank you for the detailed information. It will certainly help with the logistics.

Buena Suerte

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Bear in mind that’s a 1915 SCHEDULED landing time. You would be utterly mad to rely on getting into a train at BCN Sants 65 minutes after a scheduled arrival at El Prat. If you did plan on that you would have a non refundable train ticket (unless you’re going to buy that in your notional 65 minutes as well) and no accommodation booked in Barcelona.

You need to take some risk out of your plans in my opinion.

(sorry - that all sounds unnecessarily harsh. Please excuse me, I’m not having a great day)

Have a good trip, whatever you choose to do.

Thanks for the suggestion. Will catch the early flight to SDC the next day and make my way to Sarria from there. I tried different towns from Barca. For some strangers reason all trains leave at that magic time of 20:20! They may probably cha into a pumpkin otherwise. It throws a spanner on my Camino itineary unfortunately. Buen Camino.🙄

Here is Barcelona Sants

Here is Renfe

Here is Empresa Friere

Here is Monbus
Thanks so much for the information. Have decided to Take the early morning flight to SDC. Then connect from there to Sarria.

I'm on Camino myself at this moment so I can't get all the details about starting from Lugo but somewhere just a few kilometers from there is a point from which you can also get compostela. That gives you a day or two of no crowds before joining the CF and saves you the connection from Lugo to Sarria. Maybe another member can comment on this.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hola, does anyone know if you can pay for a single municipal bus ride within Santiago city limits by tapping one's contactless payment card, similar to a London bus? Or do you have to purchase a...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back