• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travelling from Biarritz to Pamplona

Bretom

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting our Camino journey next Sept 13th.
Hi all,
Can anyone offer advice.We have decided to begin our Camino in Pamplona but our flights were already booked to Biarritz ( long story ).. so now looking at available transport from Biarritz airport to Pamplona.
All suggestions welcome 🙏
Breda

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi all,
Can anyone offer advice.We have decided to begin our Camino in Pamplona but our flights were already booked to Biarritz ( long story ).. so now looking at available transport from Biarritz airport to Pamplona.
All suggestions welcome 🙏
Breda

rome2rio is a fantastic service...looks like there is bus service, but I don't see (and am surprised) to not see a train

rome2rio is a fantastic service...looks like there is bus service, but I don't see (and am surprised) to not see a train
Thank you Irishrock, yes I would love to find a train service and was surprised not to find one. I will try rome2rio.
Thank you.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I saw this also. Need to rethink my journey
@Bretom, while searching, consider two separate sections: Biarritz to Hendaye (on the French side of the border and Irun (on the Spanish side) to Pamplona. This increases your chances of finding a combination of trains and/or busses that will suit your purposes. Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You will need three transfes.
From Biarritz to Hendaye In SNCF.
From Hendaye to San Sebastián-Donosti In Eusko Trend - Topo.
From San Sebastián-Donosti to Pamplona- Iruña in RENFE.

I think the best option from San Sebastián-Donosti to Pamplona-Iru ña is by bus

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You could go to SJPdP and take the ALSA/CONDA bus that people use to get there from Pamplona on its return trip.
Not the most obvious choice but if the times work out ok then it could be the best.

get yourself to Hendaye (may need to go to Bayonne station, there are many trains to Hendaye from there, Biarritz to Bayonne is easy enough).
Walk out of Hendaye station and look right.
You will see a little local train service Euskotren. Lots of trains to San Sebastián from there.
Then lots of Alsa buses to Pamplona.
The Eusktren doesn’t arrive at the San Sebastián main train station, which is near the bus station.
Check this info about the bus departure though, it’s been a few years since i did it.
Or, if times suit you, as has been said, go to Bayonne, get the train or replacement bus to Saint Jean pied de port. Then get the bus to Pamplona from there.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I had trouble about`6 years ago obtaining bus schedule and bus stop location for Irun - Pamplona. (We planned on taking the Ouigo train to Hendaye from Paris.) The tourist office in Pamplona was able to furnish the bus schedule and the precise spot to board the bus (in front of a shopping center at a streetside stop). It's an easy walk from the Irun train station and many restos are near the bus stop so it's an easy place to hang out if you have time before your bus.

Plan above will eliminate a need to get to San Sebastian. On the other hand, a visit to San Sebastian is an excellent idea; it is a city not to be missed if you'd like to sample Basque food and enjoy the city's beautiful, arcing sweep along the Bay of Biscay.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My daughter and I are doing the same beginning of Sept. We fly into Biarritz. We are taking the train from Bayonne to SJPDP through Rail Europe. We have a bus booked our of SJPDP to Pamplona through Omio

From where I live there is one train a day to Milton Keynes. I’m always a little surprised by this as I can think of no reason why anyone who lives in my lovely little south coast harbour town would possibly want to go to Milton Keynes. But it exists. Few, other than those obsessed by the arcanities of rail travel, would wish to undertake the journey which, according to the timetable takes about 4 millennia, and offers the sole benefit of not having to change trains. The drivers are presumably selected on the basis of their lack of family ties or any social obligations or needs.
Similarly, a journey from Biarritz to Pamplona is one that no local habitant is likely to ever wish to undertake. Therefore, the existence of even one bus a day between a place that no rational traveler would start from to a place that no one from there would ever wish to go to is, for me, astonishing.
This is of course just a further expression of my continued amazement that pilgrims will book their ‘plane tickets, train tickets, and even their first 900 days accommodation without reference to how those aspirations might be achieved.

May the good ( and bad) gods forbid that life on this poor benighted planet should ever be easy. They’ve never forbade us from looking at a map, a railway timetable or even Godgle in an hope that we could sort our lives out for ourselves.

“If I was going there I wouldn’t start from here” is the finest advice I was ever given

From where I live there is one train a day to Milton Keynes. I’m always a little surprised by this as I can think of no reason why anyone who lives in my lovely little south coast harbour town would possibly want to go to Milton Keynes. But it exists. Few, other than those obsessed by the arcanities of rail travel, would wish to undertake the journey which, according to the timetable takes about 4 millennia, and offers the sole benefit of not having to change trains. The drivers are presumably selected on the basis of their lack of family ties or any social obligations or needs.
Similarly, a journey from Biarritz to Pamplona is one that no local habitant is likely to ever wish to undertake. Therefore, the existence of even one bus a day between a place that no rational traveler would start from to a place that no one from there would ever wish to go to is, for me, astonishing.
This is of course just a further expression of my continued amazement that pilgrims will book their ‘plane tickets, train tickets, and even their first 900 days accommodation without reference to how those aspirations might be achieved.

May the good ( and bad) gods forbid that life on this poor benighted planet should ever be easy. They’ve never forbade us from looking at a map, a railway timetable or even Godgle in an hope that we could sort our lives out for ourselves.

“If I was going there I wouldn’t start from here” is the finest advice I was ever given
Hello Tincatinker,
Wise words indeed. Though I might just add in defense of my own capabilities as a traveller and planner of journeys, life throws unexpected curve balls at you when you least expect them. As the saying goes "man makes plans and God laughs". My plans were based on good information prior to that curve ball. Flights booked to Biarritz then all organised to head to StJPP to begin our Camino.. Researched the stages and yes accommodation... Using maps, train schedules and yes Google and of course this forum.
My curve ball was of a serious health type, so new plans were necessary.
We don't always start where we should and rarely end up where we think we will. Life is full of uncertainty.
I discovered the help and kindness of this forum because of my curve ball.
Thank you again for the wise words.
Good ending though, yes I managed to reserve seats on a bus from Biarritz Airport to Pamplona, it might take a few hours extra to start our pilgrimage but at our late stage in life we are not in a hurry.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back