• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travelling from Biarritz to SJPDP?

Rose Bishop

Time of past OR future Camino
27 August (2013) Camino Frances
Im flying into Biarritz next Wed 28th Aug at about 3.20pm and need to find out how to get to SJPDP. Ive read to bus to Bayonne and then catch a train there to St Jean.
Has anyone does this recently in the afternoon and are there enough buses/trains to catch at that time of the day? Where would I find train times? Thanks for your help.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Rose,

Take an airport bus to Bayonne rr station (Gare SNCF) and then a TER Ligne 62 train from Bayonne to SJPdP. There is a TER train at 18:07; that is the last train for Wed. 28/08. See this TER schedule for more info. >> http://telechargement.ter-sncf.com/Images/Aquitaine/Tridion/62-AFFICHE-2013_26_août_14_déc_28_06_13_tcm-11-42307.pdf. The ticket to SJPdP costs roughly 10 euros and the journey time 1 1/2 hours. Seating is open as on a metro or tram.

Once you arrive in SJPdP the Pilgrim Office of the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle can provide you with a Credential and on site lodging assistance. Their volunteers help run the albergue at 55 rue de la Citadelle, but they do NOT take reservations. If their albergue is full they will help you find other pilgrim lodgings. They keep up to the minute lists of available space throughout the SJPdP area. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09. In season the pilgrim office is open from 7h30 to 12h30 and then from 13h30 to 22h.

Bon voyage and Buen Camino.

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
Im flying into Biarritz next Wed 28th Aug at about 3.20pm and need to find out how to get to SJPDP. Ive read to bus to Bayonne and then catch a train there to St Jean.
Has anyone does this recently in the afternoon and are there enough buses/trains to catch at that time of the day? Where would I find train times? Thanks for your help.
Hi Rose

Are you coming from Stansted by any chance? I land around the same time on the same day and will also be heading to SJPDP :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Rose,

Take an airport bus to Bayonne rr station (Gare SNCF) and then a TER Ligne 62 train from Bayonne to SJPdP. There is a TER train at 18:07; that is the last train for Wed. 28/08. See this TER schedule for more info. >> http://telechargement.ter-sncf.com/Images/Aquitaine/Tridion/62-AFFICHE-2013_26_août_14_déc_28_06_13_tcm-11-42307.pdf. The ticket to SJPdP costs roughly 10 euros and the journey time 1 1/2 hours. Seating is open as on a metro or tram.

Once you arrive in SJPdP the Pilgrim Office of the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle can provide you with a Credential and on site lodging assistance. Their volunteers help run the albergue at 55 rue de la Citadelle, but they do NOT take reservations. If their albergue is full they will help you find other pilgrim lodgings. They keep up to the minute lists of available space throughout the SJPdP area. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09. In season the pilgrim office is open from 7h30 to 12h30 and then from 13h30 to 22h.

Bon voyage and Buen Camino.

Margaret Meredith

Hi Margaret

Hope it's Ok to ask on this thread? I will be exactly a month later on my journey Saturday 28th September, I land at 11.45 in Biarritz, if I am reading the timetable correctly I can get the train at 14.55? Tous les jours means everyday? Sorry my schoolgirl French was a LONG time ago!

Many thanks, Sarah

Last edited:
Sarah,

Right you are ! There is a TER ligne 62 train to SJPdP from Bayonne at 14:55 everyday including holidays .

By the way the Gare SNCF in Bayonne is small and easily navigated. The staff is helpful and used to dealing with throngs of pilgrims as well as vacationers. They will help you find your way. The station cafe boasts many handy plugs for recharging your computer or smartphone; relax and have a drink while you wait for your train.

Bon Voyage and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Hi Sarah, Your schoolgirl French is standing you in good stead. Yes, tous les jours means every day. The 14.55 seems perfect for you and you'll arrive in St Jean with plenty of time to relax the day before you set off.

Buen Camino

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Im flying into Biarritz next Wed 28th Aug at about 3.20pm and need to find out how to get to SJPDP. Ive read to bus to Bayonne and then catch a train there to St Jean. Has anyone does this recently in the afternoon and are there enough buses/trains to catch at that time of the day? Where would I find train times? Thanks for your help.
===
hi there ...
I did the Camino from SJPdP to Logrono recently (5-19 Aug) and just to response to your query (and extra info re Bourricot), find out the bus departure times from Biarritz airport first (there are posts here mentioning the timetable also) and maybe it was just me, but I was surprised to see how busy the traffic from Biarritz airport to Gare Bayonne was.
I landed in Biarritz at 1430 (plane scheduled to land at 1405, but got delayed) and wanted badly to catch the 1455 train from Gare Bayonne to SJPdP, so I took a taxi, which was very expensive (35 Euro), and entered the train just in time. The train was full, and was unable to enjoy the scenery as planned. Later on I thought it might be a better idea to contact and use Bourricot Express instead of doing all these efforts. But you live and learn.
By the way, the real Bourricot Express 's service for shuttle run was unavailable during my Camino period, instead, I was referred to a private taxi driver, so there was confusion as to what price to pay, but just be firmed about it.
For example:
the luggage transfer SJPdP to Roncesvalles according to Bourricot Express’ brochure was 8 Euro and person transfer from SJPdP to Orisson was 8 Euro. However, both the Camino office and my hotel owner read it as luggage transfer (not for person), and when inquired how much the cost for person transfer SJPdP to Orisson, the driver quoted me for 18 Euro! At that time I did not know he was the shuttle driver doing the morning run.
In the end, I let my hotel owner proved (after I was sure he was the shuttle driver) that the Bourricot Express’ price/note for person-tranfer from SJPdP to Orisson was 8 Euro. Finally he agreed to settle for 10 Euro. Many luggages were transferred in the shuttle with me, so it was really the car/van for dropping/picking up luggage, was it from Bourricot Express (?) who knows.
All and all, when you think they should know everything, don’t rely on it, always check and check until you get it right.

Sarah,

Right you are ! There is a TER ligne 62 train to SJPdP from Bayonne at 14:55 everyday including holidays .

By the way the Gare SNCF in Bayonne is small and easily navigated. The staff is helpful and used to dealing with throngs of pilgrims as well as vacationers. They will help you find your way. The station cafe boasts many handy plugs for recharging your computer or smartphone; relax and have a drink while you wait for your train.

Bon Voyage and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Merci beau coup!

Sarah

Hi Rose

Are you coming from Stansted by any chance? I land around the same time on the same day and will also be heading to SJPDP :)
Hi Christer...yes Im possibly on the same Ryanair flight?!I fly from Johannesburg on Tuesday evening arriving Wed morning - see an Aunt in London and get across to Stansted. Where are you coming from? Perhaps we can help each other find our way to SJPDP?!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Christer...yes Im possibly on the same Ryanair flight?!I fly from Johannesburg on Tuesday evening arriving Wed morning - see an Aunt in London and get across to Stansted. Where are you coming from? Perhaps we can help each other find our way to SJPDP?!!
Yes i am also flying from Stansted, I live in London. We will find our way no problem and i think maybe others will be on the same flight. If there are enough of us we could perhaps look at getting a taxi to SJPDP instead of waiting for the train at 1809hrs from Bayonne? I have no booking for accommodation so hoping the Pilgrim office will find something:) See you on Wednesday! By the way, it can take a while to get to Stansted so be careful to allow enough time!

Buen Camino

Yes i am also flying from Stansted, I live in London. We will find our way no problem and i think maybe others will be on the same flight. If there are enough of us we could perhaps look at getting a taxi to SJPDP instead of waiting for the train at 1809hrs from Bayonne? I have no booking for accommodation so hoping the Pilgrim office will find something:) See you on Wednesday! By the way, it can take a while to get to Stansted so be careful to allow enough time!

Buen Camino
Hi there...How long will it take to get from Marble Arch to Stansted?? Ive got my boarding pass for Ryanair flight but havent booked in my backpack....(trying to save 25 pounds!) Do you think my walking poles are going to be allowed onto the plane as hand luggage or will they be seen as dangerous weapons? It sounds a great idea to share a taxi to SJPDP if there are enough of us to share the cost. Ive got a booking at Auberge du Pelegrin for Wed 28th pm. Am rather worried as Orisson is fully booked for Thursday and Friday and as Ive unfortunately got a heel injury, I will need to take it easy on the first few days...so dont know where Ill be finding somewhere to sleep!! Only 2 sleeps left...before I leave Johannesburg for London!

Hi

I would allow a couple of hours tp be on safe side (you may do it in one and a quarter). Ryanair tend to be stricter than most but there will be a way to get them on if there is a problem I am sure - jusy allow enough time. With regards to Orisson lets see what happens. If need be we will find a way.

Have a great flight to London and will probably see you before we get to biarritz. I will be the guy with the backpack lol.

Christer

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back