• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Travelling from Liverpool to ferrol

carolh

Hola

I walked part of the Camino Frances from Astorga to SdC last May.

Again to work committments I am limited for time.

I am thinking of doing the Camino Ingles, on my own in June.

can people advise the best route from Liverpool to Ferrol?

also will I be ok on my own and is June a good time to go ( begining of June)

Please advise
Thanks Carol Holywell - from Liverpool England

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hola Carol!

I can't really see beyond the London flights to Galicia - either Stansted-Santiago (Ryanair) or Heathrow-A Coruna (Vueling). You could fly Liverpool-Madrid with Easyjet, but it's a long connection from Madrid to A Coruna. At least you still have the chance to get cheap advance tickets if getting the train to London. Once in Spain you can then get the bus to Ferrol.

June sounds like a good time to go, because the Ingles is much quieter than the Camino Frances, so unlike the Frances you may want it to be relatively busy if you like meeting other pilgrims!

You can get a credencial from the tourist office in Ferrol.

Download John Walker's guide from the CSJ website for more info!

Buen Camino!

Hola

Thank you the information. I have downloaded John guide.

Has any one taken the Trenhotel ( train) from Madrid to Ferrol?

Carol h

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
hi got flight to madrid from manchester uk then over night train to ferrol 5 12 2011 it took about 11 + hours will never repeat it stanstead to santiago then bus to ferrol or heathrow o/coruna then bus to ferrol .

walked five days solo hope you meet others along the way

Carol. I also live in Liverpool.

2009 did the Camino Inglés.

I believe there may be a train from Bilbao to Ferrol - narrow guage - I am told it is beautiful but slow. Easyjey fly from Manchester to Bilbao.

I flew from Stanstead and parked my car at the airport. It was a better option than bus or train to London - and then out again - because the travel costs accumulate and the time taken is significant.

Fly from Stanstead and - if need be - stay at the Mega Backpacker. RĂşa das Basquinos 67, a five minute walk from the bus station.www.meiga.backpackers.es. They accept reservations.

I got to Ferrol around noon and walked to Neda, though depending on time you might like a day in the port.

Having walked to SdC I then took a bus back to A Coruna and walked to SdC so that I completed the Y.

The weather will certainly be warm to hot.

As far as the route is concerned I would simply suggest that you use the kind of caution that you would anywhere else - don't accept lifts, drinks or favours from strangers. I have seen the odd car with driver in some remote places but nothing threatening.

Do not stay at the sports hall in Siguero - the Hostal Miras is very basic and lots of traffic noise but food is good.

The tourist office in Bentanoz arranged my accomodation.

It still annoys me that Ryanair cancelled their Liverpool to SdC flights after 3 years, but then in January 2007 there were only 6 of us on the outbound flight and the economics of that do not add up!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Methodist Pilgrim is right, it is possible to travel by train from Bilbao to Ferrol on the FEVE narrow gauge that is now operated by RENFE. But beware, the trip will probably take three days, certainly two, and involve an overnight stop in Santander. Many would think that no bad thing, it's a great city. If you have time and enjoy train travel ... Otherwise Heathrow - A Coruna hits the spot.

I flew Liverpool to Barcelona with Ryanair and then got a connecting flight to SdC there. It was about 4 hours layover but you could have a couple of hours in Barcelona to pass the time.

Hi Tincatinker. Useful about the railway. Thank you.

Heathrow-A Coruna is one possibility, but there is no Compstella at the end of it because it is not 100km from SdC.

Ferrol qualifies.

I personally prefered the Ferrol to SdC route and if you travelling from Liverpool not getting a Compostella would be a big drawback IMHO.

It depends whether Carol has the time to do both legs.

Stanstead is north of London. It is easy to reach by car from Liverpool. M6, A14, A12, M11.

I say that as someone who has lived in London for 12 years of my life and has also driven to both airports.

But you takes your choice and pays your money!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
johhnie walkers Ingles guide is the one to have. If you have 2 days & like train trips, Bilbao to Ferrol takes 2 days ,around 200 stops ,overnight in Oviedo is recommended ,a city worth exploring. You'll also see a lot of the northern coastal route regards Robin Dorkings

Back