• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travelling from Madrid to Ponferrada

dhansen1963

My flight lands (theoretically) at 1:00 at Madrid T4. I don’t have checked baggage. There is a train leaving Chamartín at 2:40. Is this enough time to get between the two?

Donna

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Donna,

I think you've got plenty of time.

The terminal (T4) has it's own train station, with a direct connection to Madrid-Chamartín. Trains leave from the Terminal every 15 minutes. You can take line C1 or C10. Both are going to Chamartín. The journey from T4 to Chamartín only takes 15 minutes.

If your train leaves at 2.40 arriving at Chamartín at 2.30 should give you pleny of time to catch it. So catching the C1 at 2.15 would do the trick.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Donna,

If the train doesn't work out, there are ALSA buses from T4 to Ponferrada at 13.45, 14.45 and 15.45. Journey time is 5 hours and 15 minutes.

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

Nuala

Hi Donna,

If the train doesn't work out, there are ALSA buses from T4 to Ponferrada at 13.45, 14.45 and 15.45. Journey time is 5 hours and 15 minutes.

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

Nuala

I was looking at the alsa schedule and on my travel date of September 14 it shows only one bus from T4 at 10:00 am

I was looking at the alsa schedule and on my travel date of September 14 it shows only one bus from T4 at 10:00 am

I looked at the current schedule again and there are fewer buses on Saturdays than on weekdays. However, using a July search date, it showed one at 14.45. You might want to check again a few weeks before your travel date - the ALSA site sometimes doesn't show all options for future dates. Hopefully the train will work out, but it's always good to have a back-up option!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My flight lands (theoretically) at 1:00 at Madrid T4. I don’t have checked baggage. There is a train leaving Chamartín at 2:40. Is this enough time to get between the two?

Donna

Hi Donna. If everything goes to plan then there would be time to make these connections. As others have said the metro between the airport and Chamartin is regular and efficient. However there is no slack in your timetable to allow for any delays, which are more likely than not with international travel. To be sure maybe a night in Madrid and leaving early next morning would be a less stressful option?

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back