• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travelling from Manchester, England to SJPDP - advice?

MartinBryant

Time of past OR future Camino
None so far. Hoping to walk Camino Frances in September 2020
I live near Manchester in north-west England and there seem to be a few options for getting to SJPDP.
1 - Direct flight to Bilbao, then bus and train to SJPDP
2 - Connecting flights to London, then Biarritz, then bus to Bayonne and train to SJPDP
3 - Direct flight to Paris and train to Bayonne and train to SJPDP
Does anybody have any suggestions as to the best way to get to SJPDP?
Many thanks!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Your cheapest and quickest option might be Manchester - Charleroi - Biarritz with Ryanair. Depends a lot on when you travel. If you are travelling next month for example you can make the journey in just over 5 hours for £64.
1578959492574.png
Edit: Forget the above - or keep it in reserve as a plan B :) You are probably better off going via Bilbao! Excellent place to stop for a day if you have the time. There is a good local train service to Irun and Hendaye where you can catch a local French train to Bayonne then another to SJPDP. There are also ALSA buses from Bilbao to Irun. It does mean a few changes of train but that just adds to the fun.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I would reccomend option 2. There seem to be problems with unpredictable strikes affecting train service in France. Express Bouricott shuttle is an excellent connection to Saint Jean from Biarritz.

1. Biarritz - Chronoplus bus from Airport to Gare Bayonne.

2. Bilbao - PESA bus from Loiu Airport to San Sebastian. Renfe Cercanias to Irun Renfe. Cross the tracks to Irun Colon Metro. Metro Donostialdea from Colon to Gare d'Hendaye. SNCF train from Gare d'Hendaye to Bayonne and Bayonne to SJPdP. There is hourly Txik Txak bus from Gare d'Hendaye to Place de Basques, about a km from Gare Bayonne.

Choice of 1 or 2 depending on price, schedule, and convenience of transfers.

Buses and trains tend to travel on time. Planes always seem to arrive late. Evening planes to Biarritz tend to get there too late to catch the last train to SJPdP.

I wouldn't consider Paris route at all.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Five years ago I flew to Bilbao, bus from airport to Bilbao bus terminal, stayed at a hotel close to bus terminal, next morning a bus to Bayonne, then bus (train line was being repaired) to SJPdP.

I live near Manchester in north-west England and there seem to be a few options for getting to SJPDP.
2 - Connecting flights to London, then Biarritz, then bus to Bayonne and train to SJPDP
Many thanks!

I've travelled from Leeds to Stanstead by train, Fly to Biarritz, bus from Airport to Bayonne station 1 euro, and then train to SJPDP.
I've also travlled from Leeds to Manchester by Train, flew to Bilbao, got the bus to Pamplona, then Pamplona to to Bayonne ?(all Alsa Bus).
Whichever way you do it, it will incur an overnight somewhere, whether it be UK (near Stanstead) or Bilbao then onto France the next day.
Bilbao to Pamplona 2 hours
Pamplona to Bayonne 2.5 hours.

Buen Camino...enjoy it

We live in Halifax, very close to Manchester, and have started both of our Camino Frances journeys by train.

Not particularly cheap, but a very relaxing way to start.

We've used intercity to London, overnight there, followed by Eurostar to Paris and TGV to Bayonne for another overnight. The next day by the little local train to SJPDP. Had our first albergue stay in SJPDP and off the next day.

Overall a very relaxed start to the following 5-6 weeks of activity.

More realistically, the flights to Bilbao are overall much cheaper.

Seeing as we live fairly close together and you're listed as a new member if you think that we could help in anyway drop me a PM, and we could perhaps have a chat. We've found the Camino Frances (twice) from SJPDP and the Portuguese from Lisbon plus several similar long routes in northern England.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Many thanks!
Stanstead to Biarritz with Ryanair then Bouricott taxi to St Jean... easiest to my mind. There is also Luton to Biarritz with Easyjet

Many thanks!

Hi
Another approach could be train.
We used it to get from Middlesbrough to Santander to walk on the Camino del Norte last September.
We arrived the night before in Londo, stayed for the (short) night in the cheapest and closest Hotel we could find.
Then we took the 06:18 Eurostar to Paris. Arrival 09:47, then Metro from Gare du Nort to Gare de Montparnasse (Metro tickets can be purchased in the restaurant car on the Eurostar.
Then the 11:47 TGV High speed train 8537 to Hendaye, Stop at about 16:00 in Bayonne (one stop before Biarritz. The train went then on to Hendaye arrival at 16:37) Check the current time tables! If you get a direct service it will be 4:39 hours and cost somewhere between £45 to 80 depending on the service.
You could the take the Train/Bus from Bayonne station to SJPDP, I think there are three trains at 7:52, 12:00 and 18:00 and they cost about 5 Euro. Also early morning bus at 06:30. A replacement bus service might run and the bus station is next to the railway station.
I myself did not take the taxi, but the bus replacement service from Bayonne in 2013.
If you did not book accomodation in advance: the pilgrims office in SJPDP used to stay open until the pilgrims from the evening train arrived. They helped me with ad hoc accomodation. An incredible good start for the pilgrimage

Whatever you choose, enjoy your pilgrimage.
Buen Camino
Kaj

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Taking the bus from Biarritz airport to Bayonne railway station costs €1 and takes 20 minutes, then it's an easy train journey to SJPdP. The much-touted taxi option is great of there are a few of you to share the cost but otherwise costs a lot.

I've travelled from Leeds to Stanstead by train, Fly to Biarritz, bus from Airport to Bayonne station 1 euro, and then train to SJPDP.
I've also travlled from Leeds to Manchester by Train, flew to Bilbao, got the bus to Pamplona, then Pamplona to to Bayonne ?(all Alsa Bus).
Whichever way you do it, it will incur an overnight somewhere, whether it be UK (near Stanstead) or Bilbao then onto France the next day.
Bilbao to Pamplona 2 hours
Pamplona to Bayonne 2.5 hours.

Buen Camino...enjoy it
Hi
There is also a direct bus from Bilbao Termibus bus terminal to Bayonne

We live in Halifax, very close to Manchester, and have started both of our Camino Frances journeys by train.

Not particularly cheap, but a very relaxing way to start.

We've used intercity to London, overnight there, followed by Eurostar to Paris and TGV to Bayonne for another overnight. The next day by the little local train to SJPDP. Had our first albergue stay in SJPDP and off the next day.

Overall a very relaxed start to the following 5-6 weeks of activity.

More realistically, the flights to Bilbao are overall much cheaper.

Seeing as we live fairly close together and you're listed as a new member if you think that we could help in anyway drop me a PM, and we could perhaps have a chat. We've found the Camino Frances (twice) from SJPDP and the Portuguese from Lisbon plus several similar long routes in northern England.
Hi there

Using RailEurope website and a date well in advance, reveals the following price for Manchester to Bordeaux. Perhaps, cheaper with RailCard? You have to be quick usually.

DBDD622F-6609-4BCB-9C9F-FD7C1E2B14D4.png

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi
Flight to dublin change direct flight Biarritz ,bus to Bayonne ,train to SJPD
Sounds complicated but worked 3 times no problem .

Buen Camino
Ps im also from NW so Manchester/Liverpool my nearest airport

Many thanks to everyone for all the very helpful replies :)
There seem to be more options than you can shake your walking stick at! 😮
I've got seven months to decide... 🤔

Many thanks to everyone for all the very helpful replies :)
There seem to be more options than you can shake your walking stick at! 😮
I've got seven months to decide... 🤔
Burn Camino - for whenever, and however, you go.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Many thanks!
I’m driving to Stanstead in March 30th and flying to Biarritz then taxi to SJPDP. Will book flight from Santiago to Stanstead a few days before I arrive. Both Ryanair.

Many thanks!
Hi Fly Easy jet Liverpool to Biarritz get a shared taxi or take the train from Bayonne. Coming back its easier to get a flight out of Porto to Manchester and the turist information centre in Santiago will tell you how to get the train or bus to Porto. The bus stops infront of the airport at Porto and flights are cheaper than flying from Santiago to Stanstead done this trip 3 times

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Many thanks!

Liverpool to Biarritz with Easy Jet then train from Bayonne or a shared taxi from the airport. Coming back get the bus from Santiago to Porto bus stops outside arrivals terminal all details via tourist office in Santiago. main taxi company in SJPDP will allow you to book a mini bus in advance and will sell the other seats for you if you book .I did this and in the end cost 15e for the transfer to SJPDP. Have been 3 times and find more flexibility and cheaper flights out of Porto.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You could surely find some canal pathways to walk en route to Portsmouth ...
Ferry to Normandy...
And it’s just a stroll from there...
🙂

Manchester or Liverpool to Bordeaux, bus from airport to the train station at St Jean in Bordeaux, (you will probably have to overnight in Bordeaux), then train Bordeaux to Bayonne and then train from Bayonne to SJPP.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back