• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travelling from Manchester next May -options?

Cate A

Hi,
I'm looking at various options and struggling a bit as not all info on flights/ ticket prices is available yet. I'm wondering about the train (longer, possibly more expensive but greener) or flying. There don't seem to be budget flights to Biarritz from Manchester or Liverpool but may be to Bilbao - any thoughts?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Cate
I'm travelling from the North on Friday! Looked at lots of options and decided to go to Stansted rather than Manchester to Dublin to Biarritz. My ticket cost £28 but also almost the same to check in my bag! With Ryanair. Only going as far as Burgos this time and coming back via Madrid costing a bit more. Found a lovely Farmy B&B where I can leave my car and get a lift to and from the airpport for a very reasonable rate. Pm me if you want more details? Making plans is exciting! I'm going back March 31st to walk to SDC and on to Finisterre and Muxia.
Sarah

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
ooh interesting - might look at that Thanks
Cate
Hi Cate

All depends what your plans are.

Buen Camino!
That's what's making it feel complicated! Not really firmed up yet Probably walking from St Jean from last week in May and meeting my husband at SdC (who'll have the car) Think home may be by ferry from Bilbao. If I fly from Stansted or Gatwick it's a pain to get there from up here. The train would be my preference but eats into time

You can fly to Bilbo and bus it to Iruña/ Pamplona ( 1hr.30 mins. aprox.) And from there bus it again to Donibane Garazi/SJPdP ( 1 hr 30 mins. aprox.) There are two daily buses from Iruña/Pamplona.

Buen Camino!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi! If you decide to start any further on than SJPP the flight from Manchester to Madrid with Ryanair is quite reasonable (or Easyjet from Liverpool). From Madrid you could get to Pamplona, for example, in just over 3 hours by train. OK, it's still a long train journey, but cheaper and more interesting to do it at the Spanish end than to get to Stansted. Buen Camino!

Cate,
If you are not planning on travelling before May 2014 it may be worth your patience waiting until Ryanair and Easyjet announce their schedules for 2014 to Biarritz from the UK.

I am planning on leaving St Jean 19 or 26 May 2014. I've found through this forum and the airline sites that both airlines don't announce their confirmed schedules until about Dec/Jan.

Right now I'm torn between a train journey London St Pancras to Bayonne/Biarritz via Paris or flying to Biarritz from Dublin or Stanstead. (I live in Bristol). At this very moment it's cheaper by £109 to go by train.

Last year there were no flights from your area direct to Biarritz that I''m aware of. I do however recall from previous posts that folks in your part of the country mostly made their way to Stanstead with some opting for Eurostar from St Pancras to Paris.

Hope this helps.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The RYANAIR flight from Stansted to Biaritz is your best bet
Ned

Now that you have been given several options just have a seat and think which one suits you best. And enjoy your Camino.:)

Buen Camino!

Euskotren goes from Bilbao to Hendaye. Eusketren is essentially a series of commuter trains; you transfer from one train to another at the start/end of each section. Each section runs a train at least twice per hour. In my opinion the Euskotren website is somewhat confusing; the wikipedia site is a lot more helpful.

EuskoTren
http://www.euskotren.es/

Wikipedia description of EuskoTren
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EuskoTren

From Hendaye SNCF (the french train system) runs several trains daily to Bayonne. At Bayonne you can catch another train (TER 62) to SJPdP.

SNCF website
http://www.sncf.com/en/passengers

SNCF TER Acquitaine description
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TER_Aquitaine

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The Euskotren from Bilbo is very very slow. Much faster is the Bus from Bilbo to Donostia/ San Sebastain.

Buen Camino!

hi cate.tryed more than one route in the past for biaritz for me midlands birmingham bus from manchester centre to airport then biaritz then bus or train from boyonne to sjpp

hi cate.tryed more than one route in the past for biaritz for me midlands birmingham bus from manchester centre to airport then biaritz then bus or train from boyonne to sjpp

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
ooh interesting - might look at that Thanks
Cate

That's what's making it feel complicated! Not really firmed up yet Probably walking from St Jean from last week in May and meeting my husband at SdC (who'll have the car) Think home may be by ferry from Bilbao. If I fly from Stansted or Gatwick it's a pain to get there from up here. The train would be my preference but eats into time
Depending on the time factor it might be worth checking the ferry out as a foot passenger, either Portsmouth-Bilbao or Plymouth to either Bilbao or Santander. Then adding yourself in to your husband's return trip with the car. You would need to discuss the options with Brittany Ferries, either direct or via a travel agent. They are good with answering e-mail questions, then calling to make 'unusual' bookings. We did this in 2009 and it worked well.

It is easy to check sailings, costs etc using the on-line booking service, then stop before you get to the 'pay' page. Note that Bilbao port is well out of Bilbao but Santander you arrive in town and only a few minutes walk from the bus/train stations.
Happy planning and Buen Camino

We went by train Lancaster to Euston £27.50 tube to Victoria £4 then ore booked gatwick express £35 for two then easy jet to Biaritz £31 then overnight Campanile. Travel train to st jean 9 euros

I found the rail route: Eurostar to Paris, night sleeper to Bayonne, train to StJdP both satisfying as a journey in itself and cheaper than flights (the 6 berth cabins on the night train are a wonderful introduction to albergue life - nowhere seems quite so intimate again).I do realise though that it's usually cheaper to fly Manchester to Heathrow than to catch the train but as your plans coalesce you may find one of those elusive cheap tickets that www.thetrainline.com so constantly babble on about.

I like the ferry suggestions too. Slowly, it's a good way to start your Camino.

Buen camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
hello cate a,

welcome to the forum.

easyjet has just announced their summer flight schedule for 2014 up to september 2014.

low and high prices from manchester to bilbao range from £21.99 to £42.99.

most of the prices are from £23.99 to £34.99 with the exception of this october which is £39.99 and next july which is £42.99.

hope this helps.

buen camino.

hello cate a,

welcome to the forum.

easyjet has just announced their summer flight schedule for 2014 up to september 2014.

low and high prices from manchester to bilbao range from £21.99 to £42.99.

most of the prices are from £23.99 to £34.99 with the exception of this october which is £39.99 and next july which is £42.99.

hope this helps.

buen camino.
hurray! Thank you!! - might still get train or ferry but good to have this too

Does anyone have any first hand experience regarding EasyJet? Their prices are incredibly cheap in comparison to most of the big airlines?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Does anyone have any first hand experience regarding EasyJet? Their prices are incredibly cheap in comparison to most of the big airlines?
Yes. They're one of the biggest UK low cost airlines, but also fly between non-UK cities in Europe. Their UK bases are Luton (near London), and Liverpool amongst others. These airports only really handle European flights, so if travelling from further afield you'd probably have to transfer between airports to connect onto an Easyjet flight. Like Ryanair book early for the best fares. Beware of extra charges for luggage etc, and flights very early in the morning that will require you to stay in a hotel the night before. If the timings and prices work they're fine.

Yes. They're one of the biggest UK low cost airlines, but also fly between non-UK cities in Europe. Their UK bases are Luton (near London), and Liverpool amongst others. These airports only really handle European flights, so if travelling from further afield you'd probably have to transfer between airports to connect onto an Easyjet flight. Like Ryanair book early for the best fares. Beware of extra charges for luggage etc, and flights very early in the morning that will require you to stay in a hotel the night before. If the timings and prices work they're fine.

Hi Tyrrek. I will be flying from California into Manchester to visit with my brother for a few days before I start my Camino and I was trying to decide whether to fly or take the train from there. You can't beat those prices but I was a little weary as I had never heard of EasyJet. They do have a flight out of Manchester that will fit my schedule so I may end up flying with them. Thanks for the info.
Karen :)

Hello karenfromcali,

Easyjet is one of the better low cost carrier out of uk. There is no maximum weight on carry on luggage but size limitation. There is a fee for chech-in luggage, it is not excessive if you check-in on-line. You would not get any better price. If your plan has been finalised, buy your ticket. The price will slowly creep up as time goes by.

Good luck on your planning. Buen camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back