• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travelling from Paris Charles de Gaulle airport to SJPdP

AgateG

Time of past OR future Camino
April/May 2018
Hello everyone! I am planning to get to SJPdP on April 21st so I can start my camino on Sunday April 22nd. I already have booked the flight to Paris CDG arriving 10:20 am, but can not decide about the next step. I am looking at the two options:
  1. to catch a train at 11:19 am from AEROPORT CDG 2TGV
  2. to catch a train at 12:52 pm from PARIS MONTPARNASSE 1 ET 2
My concerns are if I choose option 1, can I make it to the train in time, since there is less than 1 hour between arrival and departure? And the journey includes 10 minute transfer to switch trains in Bordeaux. Is it doable? Or if I choose option 2, can I make it on time to get from CDG to Paris Montparnasse? I would appreciate if anyone could share their opinion and help me choose.:)

Also, do you think it is necessary to book the train tickets now knowing it is 44 days away? Or maybe I can just use the ticket machines on site? Will they be more expensive then?

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I took that same route years ago to get to Saint Jean.
I don't know if that one hour after arrival is or is not enough time to make the train as I had arrived hours earlier when I took the train from CDG all the way down to Saint Jean. Same with getting to Montparnasse station in time, but that is over two hours after arrival and from what I understand there is a bus to get to that station at CDG. I'm sure another forum member has done that and can advise better.
I do remember that train change in Bordeaux being very tight, time wise. I do not speak French, so I had difficulty finding the train I needed to change over to even though it was close by. Nonetheless hundreds of people manage it just fine everyday with no problems, ha ha.
I bought my tickets that morning at the CDG station and I remember them being somewhat expensive, but it was a lovely train ride through France, but since I've done it, I'll probably fly down to Biarritz from CDG if I do it again, ha ha.
cheers and good luck

Hello everyone! I am planning to get to SJPdP on April 21st so I can start my camino on Sunday April 22nd. I already have booked the flight to Paris CDG arriving 10:20 am, but can not decide about the next step. I am looking at the two options:
  2. to catch a train at 12:52 am from PARIS MONTPARNASSE 1 ET 2
My concerns are if I choose option 1, can I make it to the train in time, since there is less than 1 hour between arrival and departure? And the journey includes 10 minute transfer to switch trains in Bordeaux. Is it doable? Or if I choose option 2, can I make it on time to get from CDG to Paris Montparnasse? I would appreciate if anyone could share their opinion and help me choose.:)

Also, do you think it is necessary to book the train tickets now knowing it is 44 days away? Or maybe I can just use the ticket machines on site? Will they be more expensive then?

Hi AgateG
I would be looking at other options.

Your opt 1. Flight aren’t always on time and it will take you time to disembark, and wait to collect bags if checked and clear the queue of arrival into France

Your Opt 2. A bit of a push ! Not allowing for flight delay. Even a taxi from airport to Paris (Montparnasse station)will take you some time. It’s quite a way.

Maybe look for later trains or look into flying from CDG to Biarritz. (That airport is close to Bayonne /. for train to Sjpdp ) or you could share a ride from Biarritz airport to Sjpdp .
Or stay overnight in Paris and catch early train from Montparnasse

Re booking trains early. Yes, good idea but only if you feel safe that you can meet it.

Good luck and Buen Camino
Annie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

do you mean 12:52 pm? or is the train actually leaving much much later from montparnasse?

Oh oh. I was reading the original as 12.52pm myself !
Btw. You can also catch an overnight train from Paris direct to Bayonne. It leaves late in the evening. I took it myself when I did my CF from Sjpdp .
I’d recommend the trip in daytime though. I wouldn’t do the overnight one again.

Annie

I booked the CDG train in 2015. It worked out just fine. I’d do the same.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A day (or two) in Paris can never be a bad idea.
Which is why, whatever happens prior to my departure from Paris, this is my now well confirmed departure timetable.
I catch the 7.30am-ish train from Paris Montparnasse to Bayonne.
It used to take just over five hours with one short stopover in Bordeaux.
With the new TGV service I'm told it takes just over 4 hours now.
Then there is plenty of time to catch the wonderful rock and roll rattler ride up the beautiful Nive river valley to St Jean.
My Camino Frances starts in Paris.
Wouldn't miss it for the world.
Regards
Gerard

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am travelling from Latvia and it is only 1 hour time difference. :cool:
Have you checked flights from Riga in Latvia to Biarritz. No need for trains then.
Annie

Edit: Sorry, you’ve already booked your flight to Paris so useless info for you.

Have you got time to spend a day or two in Paris ?
Annie

Have you checked flights from Riga in Latvia to Biarritz. No need for trains then.
Annie

Edit: Sorry, you’ve already booked your flight to Paris so useless info for you.

Have you got time to spend a day or two in Paris ?
Annie
I did check flights to Biarritz at the time I booked mine to Paris, but there was not a good offer, so I chose Paris. Also the train tickets were at the much better price back then haha
So much to think of! Can not wait to get to SJPdP so I can stop all this thinking and just walk the Camino where it takes me. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
AgateG,

Since you are beginning a pilgrimage here are two Parisian accommodations sponsored by religious groups; the Freres Aveniat and the basilica of Sacre Coeur.

For secular accommodation in Paris have you tried CouchSurfing, AirBnB or searched Hostelworld for individual rooms?

Check out these earlier Forum threads for more about pilgrim sites in Paris and the camino in Paris.

When on the parvis or place facing the Notre Dame cathedral below you underground lie Roman ruins and visible to your right across the Seine begins the medieval rue Saint Jacques which pilgrims followed to leave the city; walk it a bit and ponder history.

Take a deep breath, relax and just enjoy it! As an American who has lived 35+ years in France both in Paris and Champagne even after all those years for me as Thomas Jefferson wrote “a walk about Paris will provide lessons in history, beauty, and in the point of life.”

Bon Chemin and Buen Camino!

1) travel to Paris, spend your time there, sleep there, enjoy it, and get out of your jet lag if you have any, but in any case out of the flight fatigue (sorry, my Paris hotel knowledge is very out of date ; maybe Hotel Esmeralda on the Left Bank still exists though ? you'd certainly need to book ahead if so)

2) train down to Toulouse -- NOT the fastest one -- go via Lyons, and perhaps even plan lunchtime in some cheap restaurant near the station there, you will unlikely regret it, especially if you look for one that seems more grotty and dingy than touristy

3) easy afternoon train journey from Lyons to Toulouse, then an agreeable journey from there to SJPP up to your Albergue

One extra day, but well worth it

A day (or two) in Paris can never be a bad idea.
Which is why, whatever happens prior to my departure from Paris, this is my now well confirmed departure timetable.
I catch the 7.30am-ish train from Paris Montparnasse to Bayonne.
It used to take just over five hours with one short stopover in Bordeaux.
With the new TGV service I'm told it takes just over 4 hours now.
Then there is plenty of time to catch the wonderful rock and roll rattler ride up the beautiful Nive river valley to St Jean.
My Camino Frances starts in Paris.
Wouldn't miss it for the world.
Regards
Gerard
So true Gerard, I stay in Paris a day then train to St Jean and that is the start of my Camino. I am on my Way again end of April this year.
Regards Ali. (Aust)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
"I did check flights to Biarritz at the time I booked mine to Paris, but there was not a good offer, so I chose Paris. Also the train tickets were at the much better price back then haha
So much to think of! Can not wait to get to SJPdP so I can stop all this thinking and just walk the Camino where it takes me. :)"

I looked on the Air France web site. You can fly to Biarritz on Air France on April 21st with departure at 4:20 pm and costs approximately 156 euros. That may actually be a less expensive option for you than having to stay an extra day in Paris and take the train the next morning.
Cheers

Last edited:
I have booked Air France from CDG to Biarritz for 2 April, departing at 0755. Price 115 euros.,the same as the train from CDG to Bayonne.

I took the bus from CDG to Orly (45 minutes and about 8 Euros from memory) and caught a plane (Air France) to Biarritz and then a cab to Bayonne. Saved a heap of time v train, and wasn’t expensive. Another option for you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
At CDG, just outside from the baggage reclaim and customs exit, look for the "Les Bus Direct" sign at the curb. Busses leave this area regularly, direct to Gare Montparnasse. The ride is about 45-minutes. But the bus drops you directly in front of the station. So, it is very easy to do.

When I take this route, I usually land at Terminal 1 (UA from the States). The bus stop is maybe 50 meters from the exit door, at the curb. Pay the driver in Euros.

Here is the web site, in English, that explains this service.

http://www.lebusdirect.com/en/lines-and-schedules/cdg-airport-paris-gare-montparnasse-line.html

There are several bus lines. Depending on the terminal you arrive at, your line might be different. Do not hesitate or window shop when passing through the airport. Make your way promptly to baggage claim and then promptly to the curb to catch your bus.

Also, pray that there is not one of the all too frequent "wildcat" union strikes. The French do so love to strike... :eek:

Finally, I hope you made a reservation for your first night at Saint Jean Pied de Port. I mention this because, even if everything goes fine getting there, you will not arrive until about 6:30 - 7:00 pm. You do not want to be begging for a bed when exhausted and jet lagged. Treat yourself to a hotel room in one of the many small hotels in SJPdP. Then, leave rested the next morning after a proper breakfast.

If you are planning to walk as far as Orisson the first day there is no rush leaving. You must have a reservation there. Here is their web site: http://www.refuge-orisson.com/en/

The walk uphill to Orisson from SJPdP is about three-hours. It is only 8 km, but it is all uphill.

You CAN walk straight through to Roncesvalles. However, that will take all day. You must leave earlier in the morning to get there by mid-afternoon and have a chance at getting a bed in the large albergue.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
AgateG,

Since you are beginning a pilgrimage here are two Parisian accommodations sponsored by religious groups; the Freres Aveniat and the basilica of Sacre Coeur.

For secular accommodation in Paris have you tried CouchSurfing, AirBnB or searched Hostelworld for individual rooms?

Check out these earlier Forum threads for more about pilgrim sites in Paris and the camino in Paris.

When on the parvis or place facing the Notre Dame cathedral below you underground lie Roman ruinsand visible to your right across the Seine begins the medieval rue Saint Jacques which pilgrims followed to leave the city; walk it a bit and ponder history.

Take a deep breath, relax and just enjoy it! As an American who has lived 35+ years in France both in Paris and Champagne even after all those years for me as Thomas Jefferson wrote “a walk about Paris will provide lessons in history, beauty, and in the point of life.”

Bon Chemin and Buen Camino!
Thank you very much! I honestly did not know any of this. :)

Thank you all very much for your comments and advices! I knew this is the right place to look for advice! :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Greetings, I did exactly this trip in September. My advice would be take a later train, find an inexpensive hotel by the Bayonne station and go into St Jean with the early morning little train. The change in Bordeaux is easy.

"

I looked on the Air France web site. You can fly to Biarritz on Air France on April 21st with departure at 4:20 pm and costs approximately 156 euros. That may actually be a less expensive option for you than having to stay an extra day in Paris and take the train the next morning.
Cheers

This is exactly what I am doing about a month later. My air France flight was $130 CDN edit: $110 CDN.

Last edited:

Last time I had about three hours to get out of CDG and into Montparnase I did it easy BUT This time I have two hours and it is more than an hour travel from CDG to Paris so I am staying in Paris overnight and catching the train the next morning. There are trains that leave about one oclock but you get to SJDP about 7/8pm and it could be dark may not be a good start . This time I am going on the 8am gives you plenty of time.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This is exactly what I am doing about a month later. My air France flight was $130 CDN
There are also easyJet flights out of CDG to Biarritz. They may be cheaper.

Hello everyone! I am planning to get to SJPdP on April 21st so I can start my camino on Sunday April 22nd. I already have booked the flight to Paris CDG arriving 10:20 am, but can not decide about the next step. I am looking at the twoptions:

Following this thread, because I also want to take the CDG train this time around.
I have three hours between designated landing time and the train, which should be enough (with only carry-on luggage) but the ten minute Bordeaux transfer seems tight... Interested in others’ experiences of it...

OK, I can help.

I am flying from Toronto evening of May 4 arriving in Paris at 11:30 AM, May 5. I have researched the options to get to Gare Montparnasse from CDG and the easiest, by bus, is not expensive at 17 €. But taking a train from CDG to Gare Montparnasse it takes one train change but can be done in about 40 minutes.

This is where I diverge. I am staying overnight, mostly to deal with the jet lag, in Paris, at Easy Hostel for 29 Euros. It is a 20 min walk to Gare Montparnasse from there. There is a 9:52 AM train to Bayonne where I pick up a bus ordered via Express Bourricot, the baggage transfer company. They can be contacted direct to book a seat on this 2 PM pick up at the Bayonne Station. Otherwise, buses do not run on Sunday, or trains to SJPP. Once in SJPdP, I believe there will be sufficient daylight to walk the first 12 km to Valcarlos. So I should be there by evening of May 6. Then, I will allow the Camino to provide, slow it all down and enjoy.

If it is later in the day getting to SJPdP, I will stay overnight and start walking May 7.

I will purchase a ticket from the airport to Paris when I get there but I will be purchasing the ticket from Paris to Bayonne in a week or two. (93.35 €) I should also advise that a second train, or bus has to be taken from Bayonne to St jean Pied de Port. I got this information direct from the train company. (Patis to Bayonne, then, Bayonne to St Jean Pied de Port), but again, Bayonne to SJPP has no service on Sundays, at least not in early May.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

You can take Ryan Air or Easy Jet to Biarritz with transfer to SJDP.

My mother and I will be starting in mid-May, traveling after a few days in Paris to SJPdP. We're planning to take the train because right now it is almost the same price as flying--which seems very expensive for the train--about 120 Euros. Does anybody have tips about when to buy TGV tickets? Have I just waited too long? This price seems like quite the leap from others experiences of 39-60 Euros.

Does anybody have tips about when to buy TGV tickets? Have I just waited too long? This price seems like quite the leap from others experiences of 39-60 Euros.

Prices vary from train to train and from travel day to travel day.

There are also different types of tickets -- the cheaper ones are the non-refundable and/or non-changeable variety.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back