• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travelling from Santiago airport with walking poles

Time of past OR future Camino
CFx5
Norte
Primitivo
CP
Le Puy-SJPP
Via F
Just a reminder for those that are travelling FROM Santiago airport with walking poles

walking poles can be put in the hold for free..... irrespective of which airline is used

This is a special arrangement between the airlines and Santiago airport only

Poles will not be allowed through security so save £15-25 by just going to the desk of whatever airline being used and they will check them into the hold ...we did so just a few days ago with Ryanair

Just wish we'd known this a few years ago!!!
Best wishes
Annette

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I find this variance in regulation very odd. I flew from Melbourne, Australia , which has arguably some of the most stringent regulations , to Lyon with Carbon Z poles in my carry on pack .From Rome to Malta and return via Ryan air to finally return to Melbourne . Never once challenged or queried .
Travelling can be stressful and confusing enough without such inconsistencies in regulation . I really can't see why officials in Santiago are so scared of poles , perhaps they were frightened by old Fred Astair movies as children .🙂

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Good information. I too have traveled with carbon Z poles inside my pack though every security check point,even tight London security, except Santiago airport. I travel to Spain every year and this was several years ago. And I can't remember if they were on the outside pocket of the pack where they were visible. Since then I check them with a few other items of clothes for padding.
Has anyone made it through Santiago security with carbon Z poles inside the pack?

I have aluminum Z poles, Black Diamond. Walked the Primitivo last October, flew from Santiago - connecting in London to Canada with my poles ( rubber tips ) inside my pack, no problem whatsoever. Maybe just lucky.

I have also heard you can check in poles at Santiago for free. However, how do you do this? Do you go to the check-in counter and just hand them over or do you have to package them/ identify them in any special way? To avoid the issue, in the past in Santiago, I have checked in my backpack with poles inside as I was flying with Iberia through to the US.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am flying next month Mexico City to Madrid on Iberia. Had hoped to not check bag but seems poles and small multi-tool knife will not be permitted in carry on.

Good information. I too have traveled with carbon Z poles inside my pack though every security check point,even tight London security, except Santiago airport. I travel to Spain every year and this was several years ago. And I can't remember if they were on the outside pocket of the pack where they were visible. Since then I check them with a few other items of clothes for padding.
Has anyone made it through Santiago security with carbon Z poles inside the pack?
Yes, in June the desk agent insisted I put them inside the pack on an Aer Lingus flight. No problem at security then.

I have also heard you can check in poles at Santiago for free. However, how do you do this? Do you go to the check-in counter and just hand them over or do you have to package them/ identify them in any special way? To avoid the issue, in the past in Santiago, I have checked in my backpack with poles inside as I was flying with Iberia through to the US.
Yes, you need to pack them and label them and they will be checked in like regular checked luggage. I bought a container at the post office next to the Pilgrim Office. It cost about 2-3€. I saw people at the airport wrapping poles there in bubble wrap/plastic wrap, which I gather was available for purchase there.

When you check in for your flight, the agent will check the poles and give you a baggage claim ticket. Hang on to that. When I checked in they also offered to check my pack for free. So what the heck! I quickly pulled out the stuff I needed or didn't want to lose and sent it along. It was so nice to walk around the airport pack-free!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I really can't see why officials in Santiago are so scared of poles , perhaps they were frightened by old Fred Astair movies as children .
I really doubt that it is a matter of fear of terrorism. More likely they have found that so many passengers from that airport have poles, that it has become a nuisance and different kind of safety issue. As the many poles are wielded and handled in the cabin, being put in the overhead bins, etc., I can imagine people getting poked in the face. Someone decided it was too much and the airport made the sensible policy to have all walking poles check for free.

Yes, you need to pack them and label them and they will be checked in like regular checked luggage. I bought a container at the post office next to the Pilgrim Office. It cost about 2-3€. I saw people at the airport wrapping poles there in bubble wrap/plastic wrap, which I gather was available for purchase there.
Yes, there is a small post office right next to where you enter the security area and they sell all sorts of packaging material. They are open Monday to Sunday from 8 am to 9 pm.

When I walked through security at Santiago airport not too long ago, I was explicitly asked whether I had walking poles in my backpack. (I didn't).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Nothing to do with terrorism C Clearly. More to do with Fred Astair's prowess with a cane .
Yes I see more clearly now. ;) I reacted to part of the post without paying much attention to the reference to Fred. I imagine the scene on flights from Santiago being a little less coordinated, if every pilgrim were carrying poles on board.

Yes, there is a small post office right next to where you enter the security area and they sell all sorts of packaging material. They are open Monday to Sunday from 8 am to 9 pm.
I posted this in 2019. However, according to an answer by Correos on their Facebook page, posted about six weeks ago now in 2023, this information is not correct. You can no longer send parcels through Correos from Santiago airport. Quote:

El Camino de Santiago con Correos: Buenos días. Lo sentimos pero esta oficina ya no está abierta. Saludos

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Hey I’m looking at starting my Camino from Burgos in about 2-3 days. I’m wanting to use casa ivar storage. Has anyone used this service before? It sounds very good the webpage is just a little...
I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back