• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

travelling from santiago de compostela to paris

mohoward

Time of past OR future Camino
plan to walk in may (2017)
Ah, I am an idiot. I already booked my flight home to Toronto from Paris BEFORE I read this forum that explained that it would have been easier to do it via Madrid. Would someone know the best way to get from SdC back to Paris? I did check the flights and it looks like I could take Iberia or Vueling, but does it make sense to wait till I actually make it to the end? I'm sort of worried about all the change fees that I could incur, starting with my round-trip ticket from Toronto to Paris and back again. I appreciate any advice as I'm going a bit nuts worrying about it all. Thank you very much. BTW, I just joined this forum and really like reading everyone's thoughts so thank you in advance.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ah, I am an idiot. I already booked my flight home to Toronto from Paris BEFORE I read this forum that explained that it would have been easier to do it via Madrid. Would someone know the best way to get from SdC back to Paris? I did check the flights and it looks like I could take Iberia or Vueling, but does it make sense to wait till I actually make it to the end? I'm sort of worried about all the change fees that I could incur, starting with my round-trip ticket from Toronto to Paris and back again. I appreciate any advice as I'm going a bit nuts worrying about it all. Thank you very much. BTW, I just joined this forum and really like reading everyone's thoughts so thank you in advance.
Hola, mohoward,

You didn't specify when you want to fly from SdC to Paris so I looked for flights for June 2017 (www.skyscanner.com). With Iberia you have prices as low as 46€ from Vigo to Orly and 49€ from SdC to CDG which is more convenient for you I assume. Either way prices are quite similar and can't be beaten by those of the train or bus.
In general prices in EU doesn't go much up until 2-3 months before the flight but afterwards it's unpredictable. Usually they are much higher even with lowcost carriers but maybe you'll be able to find a good last minute deal.

Wish you well!

Hi mohoward,

Welcome to the forum. I walked the CF this year and afterwards flew Vueling from Santiago to Paris in early May. A friend is a travel agent, she booked my flights from Australia to Europe and back and also booked my Veiling connecting flight at the same time. My V flight was booked and paid for in Sept or Oct 2015 I think it was, so about 6 months early. I don't know when you're travelling but Santiago airport is quite big (bigger and more modern than I expected) and it was not at all crowded when I was there. There seemed to be a few people waiting for standby seats on my flight. I've only been through there once.

I don't understand why you're worried about extra charges. I'd say book a Santiago flight to Paris, especially if you're going in the busy season (summer!) then relax and train for your walk and be free to enjoy the wonderful experience.

Buen Camino, - Mike

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well, you do know definitely what day you fly back to Toronto from Paris. I would say knowing that you should definitely pre-book now if you can.
Back in 2013 I flew from Santiago back to Paris (CDG) on Vueling. My flight from Paris CDG back to Dubai was in the morning, so I flew back to Paris from Santiago the afternoon before, and spent the night at a small hostel not far from CDG airport that had a free shuttle to and from. It was easy peasy.

Last edited by a moderator:
@mohoward
I flew from Madrid to Paris to Toronto to Calgary returning from my camino a couple of weeks ago. I can understand your concern about having to buy a second ticket from Paris to Toronto at the last minute, if your flight to Paris from Santiago missed the connection. Make a separate booking now for your flight to Paris a day before your flight to Toronto, or several days before, if you wish to spend time in Paris and think you will have time at the end of your camino. Whoever you book with to Paris may change their flight by hours after your booking, but not by days. Consider a day in Paris to be a gift to yourself and enjoy it.

Book your flight from Santiago to Paris now. It is probably dirt cheap at the moment and the more you wait the more expensive it will get, if you can get a flight at all on the day you end up wanting it.

What determines the date of your flight is not when you arrive in Santiago, but the date of the Paris-TO flight after all...

On the Ryanairs/Vulings of this world, also prepay for your backpack if you plan on returning home with walking poles, as those are 99% likely not to be allowed on board in Santiago.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Relax.

I did what you did this past May, in my case deliberately. My Paris-Vancouver flight was the pricey one, and I really wanted that as an anchor date to come home. Something about the people I live with and my business associates needing to know when I would be back......:) . I did not buy the Santiago - Paris one way ticket until I got to Ponferrada. By then, I was very confident in my schedule. As it turned out, I got a couple of days in Paris, and a 50 Euro one way from Santiago. That week before departure showed some of the flights (weekend) were 120 Euro, but the midweek flights were still cheap.

Sure, there is a bit of a risk of flights filling up, but there is also the freedom to leave Santiago when you are good and ready. There are lots of flights out of Santiago, and there will always be a way to get to Paris.

Aena manages all of Spain's airports. Find service providers here. Consider flying to Paris via Madrid, London, or Barcelona. Easy Jet and Ryan Air are discount airlines.

http://www.aena.es/en/santiago-airport/index.html

Alternatively, take Renfe train from Santiago to Irun/Hendaye or Barcelona Sants and SNCF train from Hendaye or Barcelona to Paris. Renfe connects to Madrid too.

OMG, this forum is amazing. Thank you all so much. I just feel better knowing that other people have thought about all this same stuff and have figured out solutions. As for me, I woke in a panic last night, still had time within my 24 hours to cancel my flight from Paris to Toronto, so got online, cancelled the flight, and rebooked a multi-city flight Toronto-Paris and then Madrid-Toronto and paid $100 less than my original flight! I wish I'd read your responses first though, then I probably would have just left it all as is. I think there is a reason I'm doing this camino--maybe it will make me realize I cannot control everything :)
thanks for all the help!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Probably not a lot of difference, but there seemed to be more options and prices were lower to Madrid. However, it would have been fine to leave it the way it was, but I just didn't know. I kept reading that Madrid was easier. But I'm sure there are a bazillion opinions about Madrid vs Paris and that they would both be fine. I just worry too much.

Actually, I think flights were quite a bit cheaper to Madrid then to Paris. I haven't booked anything yet from SdC to Madrid because deciding if I should fly or take train, or just relax and wait to see how it all goes.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Actually, I think flights were quite a bit cheaper to Madrid then to Paris. I haven't booked anything yet from SdC to Madrid because deciding if I should fly or take train, or just relax and wait to see how it all goes.
I have always found the flights to Madrid to be cheaper than the flights to Paris. At least from where I live in the US.
You can get to Madrid from SDC by flying Ryanair or Iberia Express. I've flown both to there from SDC, and when booked in advance they were very inexpensive.
Also the train station is very easy to get to in SDC, as is the airport.

thank you for confirming. also apologies for grammar error in last post. should be than, not then.

Probably not a lot of difference, but there seemed to be more options and prices were lower to Madrid. However, it would have been fine to leave it the way it was, but I just didn't know. I kept reading that Madrid was easier. But I'm sure there are a bazillion opinions about Madrid vs Paris and that they would both be fine. I just worry too much.
Already Madrid is cheaper for you and transfer from SdC to Madrid makes it even cheaper and faster than that to Paris. So I guess it's a win-win situation for you. Spend the saved money on some fancy dinner in Santiago :D

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In September we flew SdC to Madrid on Air Iberia then Madrid to Paris on Air France. Air Iberia was $40 Cnd and Air France was $130 ish Cdn. Left SdC at 10:30 am and arrived in Paris about 4 with a couple hour layover in Madrid. There was another flight from Madrid with a shorter layover time but we chose the longer layover as we weren't familiar with the airport.
HTH

Hi, you are not an idiot, I personally do not recommend Madrid not because of the price, but because i found Madrid an Airport form hell. Just this past June, Our flight Iberian airline never left Santiago because of the fog. They got us buses to go to Vigo and from there to Madrid. It was a day from hell, I cried so much on the ending of my Camino. We got to Madrid and the airline only had connection flights for the Portugese passengers. We were left to look for ourselves for our connection. Trouble started, every Iberian or worker we asked to what do we do, send us in wrong directions. The airport is huge, it will take half an hour to walk from gate to another and take bus, and a train. I found Iberian customer service desk and stood in line up for 3 hrs, I was literally screaming my heads off. I am in a process of getting refund for my flight.
I flew from Paris to get back to Ottawa, and i felt at peace.
Good luck with your Camino,
Lama

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back