A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Buy any book, get free camino shell

Travelling light July: sleeping bag? Or will a bag liner do?

Camino(s) past & future
30 March 2017
Hi 7 of us are travelling from SdC to Finisterre in late July/early August 2018. We would prefer to avoid carrying too much gear. Is a sleeping bag necessary in your experience? Will we be warm enough with a liner? Obviously we can do a 5 day weather forecast before we set off. I just wondered what a Wise Pilgrim would recommend?

Amyilly

Camino(s) past & future
02/03/18-08/08/18
We're doing it at the moment with a double bed sheet folded in half, half for sleeping on and half for being covered over. So I would say a bag liner is fine X

Marbe2

Camino(s) past & future
2015 SJPD to Burgos
2017 Leon to Santiago
Pamplona to Santiago Mar. 2018
Burgos - SCDC (Oct 18)
No one can tell you for sure what the eather will be like but more than likely a sleeping bag is not necessary. You can always sleep with your clothes on if there is a cool night.

jimmyc

Camino(s) past & future
I walked the CF late May/June from SJPP with just a silk liner. Also the Portuguese from Lisbon around the same months. No problem with either without a sleeping bag. Some albergues have blankets and you can also wear extra clothes if it gets cool.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances SJPdP (June 2017)
Camino Frances Sarria (June 2018)
Camino Ingles (July 2018)
I just got back from CF and Ingles with just a liner - the nights have often been a significantly chillier than my experience last year, and not every albergue has blankets available. I was fine with just the liner and at times just wore more clothes at night, but the women I was travelling with are more sensitive to the cold than me, and wouldn't have been comfortable without a sleeping bag...so the answer probably depends on how sensitive you are to cold in general.

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 9 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 34 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 112 14.7%
  • May

Votes: 188 24.6%