• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travelling light July: sleeping bag? Or will a bag liner do?

Time of past OR future Camino
30 March 2017
Hi 7 of us are travelling from SdC to Finisterre in late July/early August 2018. We would prefer to avoid carrying too much gear. Is a sleeping bag necessary in your experience? Will we be warm enough with a liner? Obviously we can do a 5 day weather forecast before we set off. I just wondered what a Wise Pilgrim would recommend?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We're doing it at the moment with a double bed sheet folded in half, half for sleeping on and half for being covered over. So I would say a bag liner is fine X

No one can tell you for sure what the eather will be like but more than likely a sleeping bag is not necessary. You can always sleep with your clothes on if there is a cool night.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked the CF late May/June from SJPP with just a silk liner. Also the Portuguese from Lisbon around the same months. No problem with either without a sleeping bag. Some albergues have blankets and you can also wear extra clothes if it gets cool.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I just got back from CF and Ingles with just a liner - the nights have often been a significantly chillier than my experience last year, and not every albergue has blankets available. I was fine with just the liner and at times just wore more clothes at night, but the women I was travelling with are more sensitive to the cold than me, and wouldn't have been comfortable without a sleeping bag...so the answer probably depends on how sensitive you are to cold in general.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back