• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travelling Light

Gary May

Time of past OR future Camino
My first Camino begins on 16th July 2017
Seeing a few posts on equipment and looking at pics of fellow pilgrims on their journeys.....I'm wondering if I'm travelling a little on the light side :confused: I'm only planning on taking the following:

2 sets of clothes - one to wash / one to wear - shorts / shirt or tech t-shirt / sports underwear / walking socks
miniature toiletries (to be restocked en-route)
first aid kit
walking shoes (will be on my feet :D)
pair of birkenstocks for evening wear
packable poncho
3litre water bladder
camera & charger
phone & charger
guidebook
journal
head torch
hat (will be on my head most of the time!)
sunglasses (also on the above mentioned head)

All the above will be fitting into my 25+5 litre backpack

I've seen some people carrying 60 litre rucksacks and posts of long kit lists and wondering if I should be taking more. Any advice? The above is not my finalised list - so can be added to!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That about what we take.
And buying and refilling small bottles is nice. As we leave the extra shampoo etc for the next pilgrims or offer it to other at albergue.

Reread your list. You may want a light sleep sack.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Not sure if you've included a towel - rather than the usual travel towel, I recommend a couple of metre squares of muslin/cheesecloth - much lighter and quicker drying.
If you're going in the warmer months (Ha, I see you are), a silk liner would be sufficient, most albergues supply blankets.
3 litres of water seems a lot - if you're walking the Frances, fountains are pretty frequent, I've never carried more than 2 x 500ml bottles.
Which rucsac are you taking? Terranova Laser 20 at 300grms is my standard rig, all up weight, including 1 litre water and trail snacks is around 3 kilos max.
Buen camino!!

Birkenstocks are comfortable but heavy and you can't wear them in the shower.
Walking in July sunscreen is very important. Hat and sunglasses are not enough. My favourite is Ladival Factor 50.
If you get cables to USB the two devices can share one charger.
Ear plugs
3 litres of water seems a lot
Its a bladder so he doesn't need to fill it up if not needed. It flattens out.

I don't know what the people with the 60 litre packs have in them either.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Would dump the bladder ( use 1/2 ltr water bottles) and replace the Birkenstocks for something lighter. Take a silk sleeping liner with you. You may not find an Albergue that has available blankets and even if you do , You certaintly dont want them next to your skin.

Last edited:
Bladders are not easy to clean, so we gave them up for 2 liter water bottles which clean easily.

I hear that a lot, but if you're using it everyday, with a constant flow of water and you're only using water, there's nothing to clean. I use a bladder A LOT and its never been a problem. The challenge we found with bottles was that it was not always easy to reach them. I know some use a smaller bottle on the belt, but that always causes me to swing my arms too wide to avoid the bottle. Hard to reach, can easily mean too little drank. We find that we drink nearly 2x as much water with the bladder. I'm just saying...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The OP has bought the water bag now, and was asking about anything he might have forgotten.
I take 2 changes of clothing, as I like clean clothes every day and cannot always get them dry quickly enough.
A neoprene lanyard for the sunglasses (I am wearing one in my picture) because when you have a hat on, you cannot push the sunglasses up on top of your head, which makes you more likely to take them off and lose them. Losing sunglasses is a bit of a disaster in Spain in July.
An eye mask such as you get free on planes, to stop people annoyingly shining their flashlights in your face when they get up and pack at 4.30am for no reason whatsoever. Unless you are one of those people, in which case, join the party.
You could write your journal on your phone.
I take a swimming costume because I love swimming, but that's just me.

Last edited:
Gary,

Without checking my packing list yours looks pretty similar to mine. I do have a lightweight sleeping bag (and see you are getting one too) I use a 20 ltr pack and mine weighs 10 lbs without any food or water. I get by quite comfortably for 6-7 weeks. If I need anything I buy it along the Camino. One thing you have that I don't is a guide. For some reason I have never used one and probably miss some things along the way. Maybe I will bring one this year?

Buen Camino!

Seeing a few posts on equipment and looking at pics of fellow pilgrims on their journeys.....I'm wondering if I'm travelling a little on the light side :confused: I'm only planning on taking the following:

2 sets of clothes - one to wash / one to wear - shorts / shirt or tech t-shirt / sports underwear / walking socks
first aid kit
packable poncho
3litre water bladderu
camera & charger
phone & charger
guidebook
journal
head torch

I've seen some people carrying 60 litre rucksacks and posts of long kit lists and wondering if I should be taking more. Any advice? The above is not my finalised list - so can be added to!

I think you'll be fine with that! (I see you've added a sleeping bag).
I don't carry a journal (can write on my phone) but I have a small towel and a light fleece. (I feel the cold even in Summer, early mornings or evenings).
I sometimes take a swimsuit but not always. All I have added recently is an anti bed-bug sheet (100g), I have no idea if it works but it makes me feel better :oops:
My rucksack is 48L but very light and ... very empty! :D

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Birkenstocks are comfortable but heavy and you can't wear them in the shower.
I have been taking Birkies for the last two or three years on my Caminos. They are made of EVA, so ultralight and waterproof. They forst started with the Madrid in black, then added colours, and this year they even made the Arizona (2 staps, so more stable) in EVA. Even used them on VDLP to walk a few km when I couldn't stand my Salomons anymore.

I also carry ear plugs, foot treatment stuff (and a few other little things you can also get along the way), a raincoat instead of a poncho, because it is a nice light layer for warmth, too. I carry a soap bar, hair shampoo and conditioner bars (they are lighter than the liquid versions) in a little net sack, and a small hook to hang them in the shower. Next time, I'm going to bring a net laundry bag in case I feel like sharing the expense for a washer and dryer with others.. my clothes will stay together through the wash and dry. Oh, and my pacer poles and light gloves (hands tend to get sweaty with these poles, and the gloves are very comfortable)

I've used bladders for thousands of backpacking miles, and find them very easy to maintain and keep sanitary.

Same here. I just clean them every few days with a denture cleaning tablet. Takes 2 mins.
Though next year I'll be using bottles.
  1. With a bladder I can't see how much water remains. Ran dry a couple of times.
  2. I just don't need the added weight.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

first aid kit
packable poncho
3litre water bladder
camera & charger
phone & charger
guidebook
journal
head torch

You don't need the 3 litre bladder. 1 litre water bottle is sufficient and can be topped up along the way. Also the head torch is debatable. On early morning starts I used the Camino Companion app which has accurate maps to staying on route.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My husband insisted on bringing a water bladder last year but because we stop in cafes to use the bano we would get cold drink there.
Half way through the Camino he developed diarrhea. I checked his drinking tube and it was grey with scum from the hot weather and being against a warm back for hours .
This year fresh cold water wins out.

My husband insisted on bringing a water bladder last year but because we stop in cafes to use the bano we would get cold drink there. Half way through the Camino he developed diarrhea. I checked his drinking tube and it was grey with scum from the hot weather and being against a warm back for hours . This year fresh cold water wins out.

Soldiers in Afghanistan use water bladders, usually a Camelback, and have no problem maintaining them in a healthy state. Not even water bottles are a "set and forget" container, and get dirty. Maintaining a bladder is as simple as dropping in a sanitizing tablet into the reservoir. No muss, no fuss.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You don't need the 3 litre bladder. 1 litre water bottle is sufficient and can be topped up along the way. Also the head torch is debatable. On early morning starts I used the Camino Companion app which has accurate maps to staying on route.

My three liter water bladder weighs about 3 ounces. I can fill it to the top, or, as is the usual case, only keep it partially filled. If I only need a liter, then that's all I carry. But if it is hot, or I'm putting in a lot of heavy exertion, and sweating a lot, then I can carry more knowing I'll be consuming more.

There's nothing wrong with bottles. I just prefer not having to reach for a bottle, undo a lid, and then do the reverse putting it back.

There's nothing wrong with bottles. I just prefer not having to reach for a bottle, undo a lid, and then do the reverse putting it back.
Using a Smatube means you don't have to pull out and put back bottles. Works like a bladder.

Using a Smatube means you don't have to pull out and put back bottles. Works like a bladder.

You're right. I did try it, but found that I still preferred a bladder because of the adjustable capacity. For those that will try the SmarTube type of set up, one thing that I learned is that when you need to unscrew the lid, hold the lid tight with one hand and then twist the BOTTLE with the other hand.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GM6LWS/?tag=casaivar02-20

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Great thread. I currently have a 32L pack, with quite a bit of empty space. After reading, I have ordered a 20L pack, which weights a full 1/2k less. If I pack well everything should fit and my back / feet will be happier.

The new pack is from the same maker in the same size. I can return it without cost if it won't work out.

I agree with the neoprene strap for sunglasses. I don't know how old you are but I also carried my reading glasses in case on carbiner on pack strap. Also a light collapsible cup on a carbiner on pack strap for water fountains (and Irache wine too). I chose a bladder because it made drinking easy - I couldn't reach water bottles in side pockets and used them for sunscreen and snacks instead. Cleaned the bladder occasionally over 35 days with piece of wire and gauze. Smart tube did not work for me - didn't suck easily and I lost all the connectors almost immediately whereas my Osprey pack has a magnet that the water tube connects with - fantastic! I carried about 1.5l of water in bladder and used the fountains at all opportunities. Filled the bladder more when it was known that fresh water scarce. Same as above re ear plugs and eye mask. I carried a head torch but never used it. Bear in mind I walked Camino Frances in September/October 2016 - although it was unseasonably hot, walking in summer would change your needs. Maybe extra socks? But you can buy those easily - in fact you can buy everything easily if and when needed. Excited for you. Buen Camino!

Bladders are not easy to clean, so we gave them up for 2 liter water bottles which clean easily.
I've got a new style bladder that has a slide opening at the top - easier to fill and clean! for shorter journeys I use a cleaning kit when home to hang the bladder and dry it. But as mentioned...when you only have water flowing through it - they keep themselves clean.
and as Notion900 says - you can fill them as much or as little as you want :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A neoprene lanyard for the sunglasses (I am wearing one in my picture) because when you have a hat on, you cannot push the sunglasses up on top of your head, which makes you more likely to take them off and lose them.
An eye mask such as you get free on planes, to stop people annoyingly shining their flashlights in your face when they get up and pack at 4.30am for no reason whatsoever. Unless you are one of those people, in which case, join the party.
You could write your journal on your phone.
Great idea on the lanyard - I'll be investing as bought some new sunglasses for walking....don't want them to be donated to the Camino :p
Eye mask & ear plugs I also have - courtesy of my Mums many miles through Emirates! (I will be guilty of joining the early riser club with a head torch)
I'm an old fashioned writer and prefer the pen & paper for my journal - plus its a nice souvenir :D

Also a light collapsible cup on a carbiner on pack strap for water fountains (and Irache wine too).QUOTE]
I hadn't heard of the famous Irache Wine Fountain.....but have now added it to my list of places to visit ;)

I am planning on using a free backpack to save some money. It is huge-I realized this weekend it's about twice(or three times?) the capacity I need a probably about60l. I can cinch everything tight, adjust all the straps so it fits well, so is there a compelling reason to downsize? (It also accommodates a Water bladder which I love-I drink more water when I use it. Thanks for the idea of the denture tablets to clean'!)

€83,-
I am planning on using a free backpack to save some money. It is huge-I realized this weekend it's about twice(or three times?) the capacity I need a probably about60l. I can cinch everything tight, adjust all the straps so it fits well, so is there a compelling reason to downsize? (It also accommodates a Water bladder which I love-I drink more water when I use it. Thanks for the idea of the denture tablets to clean'!)
Without seeing the bag - I couldn't really give advice. We teach our scouts about packing kit and wearing / adjusting backpacks to body types & sizes. You would get the same advice if purchasing a pack in store.
I have differing sizes of rucksacks / day backpacks depending on where I'm going, what I need to pack and the duration of the trip.....so I've not been in the position of taking a larger back only half full. :oops:

As long as the weight in the bag is pulled in tight to your back and doesn't sit at the bottom, it's fine. Eg you could not use a stuff sack for your sleeping bag, and put that at the bottom fluffed out to take up space and raise the heavy stuff up. Or you could close the zip on the bottom compartment if there is one, and not use it.

You need to be careful not to let the capacity of the bag tempt you into taking 'just one more thing'. Try to keep the overall weight under 10kg including the water.

Also in response to debate about water bladders, you can buy a cleaning kit which includes a long bendy brush for the tube. I clean mine thoroughly before I set out on a trip, but not usually during.

Also in response to debate about water bladders, you can buy a cleaning kit which includes a long bendy brush for the tube. I clean mine thoroughly before I set out on a trip, but not usually during.
I've got 'ol Bendy too :p but not planning on taking him with me....hopefully the bladder will keep clean enough to use for the month and then I'll treat her to a good clean upon my return

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My new one has an easily removable tube.....that gets swung round like a helicopter blade :D
seems to help clear it.....whilst making a nice melodic tune!

I've got 'ol Bendy too :p but not planning on taking him with me....hopefully the bladder will keep clean enough to use for the month and then I'll treat her to a good clean upon my return

You should be just fine. At the end of the day, empty the bladder and drain the tube. Also, every couple of days, drop in a sanitizing tablet into a bladder full of water; when the sanitizer has done its job, dump the water, rinse, refill and you're good to go.

Instead of a specific sanitizer for cleaning, I add some Aqua Mira every few days. It will eliminate anything that might be there, but since it is made to disinfect water to make it drinkable, I don't need to dump water out and rinse.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

first aid kit
packable poncho
3litre water bladder
camera & charger
phone & charger
guidebook
journal
head torch

Just wondering what you are planning to sleep in? I will be going in June / July 2018 and am thinking about taking boardshorts and a tankini top that will double as swimwear and sleepwear .... however, would be interested to hear what others take.

I hear that a lot, but if you're using it everyday, with a constant flow of water and you're only using water, there's nothing to clean. I use a bladder A LOT and its never been a problem. The challenge we found with bottles was that it was not always easy to reach them. I know some use a smaller bottle on the belt, but that always causes me to swing my arms too wide to avoid the bottle. Hard to reach, can easily mean too little drank. We find that we drink nearly 2x as much water with the bladder. I'm just saying...
Exactly. No need to clean the bladder when it's in daily use. You definitely drink more when water is easily accessible. Besides, the Osprey bladders open wide. If you must, you can just take a paper towel and reach in to wipe it.

Just wondering what you are planning to sleep in? I will be going in June / July 2018 and am thinking about taking boardshorts and a tankini top that will double as swimwear and sleepwear .... however, would be interested to hear what others take.
I'm a woman and I slept in my undies and the tshirt I was walking in the next day. Put on my exofficio bra in the morning. It's what everyone else was doing on the Primitivo.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I had a 35L bag. I had a third set of clothes. Some of it because of needing something to wear on the plane and I like a little bit of choice. You may also want to consider a silk sleep bag, a long sleeve something like a light fleece for cool mornings, a small bag to carry your valuables at night, and something like bendy ties or caribiners to help you hang your laundry . You can find my Camino packing list here. With my backpack, the gear and snacks, I weighed in at 14 lbs (6.5/k)

Is this,camino companion app the one by guthook hike on itune app store?

I was just going to sleep in the clothes I plan to wear for the next day - it seems the done thing from what I've read. I've treated myself to an extra set of clothes to cut down on washing a bit

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.