• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

travelling the camino by wheelchair

pipod

Hi.. I was wondering if anyone has or knows of anyone who has done the camino Francé from St Jean Pied de Port or Roncesvalles to Santiago in a wheelchair?.. or if there is a route available for disabled people to travel it? ...If there is not one then I would be interested to hear from people interested in trying to make one ..not just for wheelchair users, but also for the blind or people with other disabilities who would find the normal traditional route difficult or impossible to use.....Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated ...Kindest regards Phil

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
60 pilgrims in wheelchairs received the compostela in 2004 (not sure where they all started though).
In 2006 11 pilgrims in wheelchairs finished in Santiago and last year 7 got the compostela.

Ibermutuar, together with several Spanish companies, sponsored a guide aimed at pilgrims with handicaps. The guide was written by people with different physical, psychical or sensory handicaps. A major sponsor of this guide is ONCE an organization that represents the blind in Spain. It offers some background information on the Camino as well as describes each of the stages with the perspective of someone with a handicap. The guide contains information about accessibility and other matters of interest , including albergues, suggested stages of 8 kilometers per day and restaurants with special facilities.
Three pilgrims that covered the French Way in wheelchairs participated directly in the preparation of the guide which, at present, is only available in Spanish, but which is being translated into French and German.
http://www.ibermutuamur.es/camino_santi ... nsejos.htm

http://www.ibermutuamur.es/camino_santi ... nicial.htm

A member on this forum provided a link to a diary of a wheelchair pilgrim - Ad Hermans - who did 2 500 km from Akersloot, Holland to Santiago in a handbiked wheelchair in 2000.

http://www.adhermans.nl/old/index.html

In 2002 he went off again, this time to Rome, 2250 km:
http://www.adhermans.nl/index.html
He was accompanied by his wife, her sister and brother-in-law, and a couple friends, all on bicycles. On their way they camped. The second url has the possibility to make contact with Ad by email

In 2004 I met a Spanish pilgrim in a wheelchair in Arzua who had started in Pamplona. His wife was following him in a campervan. At night they often parked next to the albergue so that they could use the shower and kitchen facilities but they always slept in the van. (I have shown this picture before but here it is for you to have a look at his chair.)

Attachments

• 162  Arzua Wheelchair Pilgrim from Pamplona.JPG
    162 Arzua Wheelchair Pilgrim from Pamplona.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 4,416
I did try to raise some interest in a pilgrimage in a two horsepower cart, mixed disabled and able-bodied, wheelchair users and people who have a problem with too much walking. ABs to do the grunt stuff where needed, but no passengers, everyone helping each other, camping and albergues, but only got some tepid interest. Pity, because the cart is actually wheelchair accessible and the owner is keen on the idea.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you so much sillydol and barbara..Forgive me for not thanking you earlier, I have just finished the the camino Francé from SJPdP to Santiago and also I'm in the process of moving from London to La Coruna Spain so its not giving me much time on my pc :-/

your links and imformation are just what I was looking for and I have Spanish friends who can maybe translate the important parts and also a German friend who can do the same..

This was my second camino and last year I did it from Saint Jean to Muxia over a 3 month period so I saw and met many peregrinos and followed many flows of them so I probably saw more peregrinos than most would during their journey and I saw just one wheelchair user which concerned me, so when I finished I started a website called "caminoworld.com" ...Its not in compitition with this or any other site.. Anyone can use it, but we also want to concentrate on people with disabilities by giving them imformation about different routes, which albergues have facilities etc ...We also want to encourage people with disabilities who have done the camino to come on and share their knowlege and experience with us so's to help and encourage others ...

Thank you again and if you would like to view my site I would be happy to hear your comments and feedback about it ....kindest regards Phil

More than 30 members of the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Toledo, including four with the disorder, are doing the camino with the aim of "sensitizing society" on such diseases and to "denounce the inaccessibility " of this route for people with disabilities.

These pilgrims had to cover the stage between Arzúa Pedrouzo today on the road due to the "zero chance" of getting around in a wheelchair on the paths. They had the help of 112 and Civil Protection of the town of Coruñesa Arzúa that supported the pilgrims throughout the journey.

With this initiative, according to Europa Press, the president of the association Francisco Garcia claiming that more research on these diseases and educating people because if it does not affect a family member or friend it goes unnoticed.

Francisco Garcia was grateful for the support they are receiving from the rest of pilgrims. He also emphasized the help they are receiving from other institutions, such as the Red Cross, which provided them with a van to transport wheelchairs.

The Multiple Sclerosis Society of Toledo began the pilgrimage in the town of Sarria and after five stages will arrive in the capital of Galicia on 29th July, where they have scheduled an offering at the Cathedral of Compostela on the following day.

http://www.europapress.es/galicia/notic ... 50914.html

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When we were in SJPP late May we saw a woman in a wheelchair, who had already come from Austria I think. We only had a brief conversation with her, as we never had much in the way of shared language. But it seemed like she was feeling more and more helpless and unwell at home, as people kept doing so much for her. Doing the Camino was a way she had been able to wrestle back control and independence in her life, and she reported that she was feeling more and more healthy. I think that she needed to take road and cycle paths rather than the walking track, as she had nobody to help her over rough sections. She had a removeable 'bicycle' type front wheel as part of her wheelchair, that she could power with her arms.
Margaret

Great to see that some ppl on the wheelchair did the comino way. Last posts are from 2008 but maybe someone is planning to do the way in the nearest future...? Im wheelchair bound since last October (it will be a year soon (!)) i should get my offroad hand bike soon and next year will be devoted to training for that trip. In summer, 2014 i hope to complete that way.

Pilgrim’s diaries

Ad Hermans, a Hollander, did 2 500 km from Akersloot, Holland to Santiago in a hand-biked wheelchair in 2000. http://www.adhermans.nl/old/index.html

In 2002 he went off again, this time to Rome, 2 250 km accompanied by his wife, her sister and brother-in-law, and a couple friends, all on bicycles. On their way they camped. http://www.adhermans.nl/index.html

Walkabout Foundation launched a 500 mile walk on the Camino Norte in August 2009. http://www.thewalkaboutfoundation.org/event-1-2

Internet articles

2010: 24 paraplegics complete the Camino Frances from Pamplona to Santiago
http://www.xacobeo.es/gl/perfil/ivar/search-solidarity

2010: Four disabled pilgrims complete 400 km by hand cycles
http://www.elcorreogallego.es/index.php ... cia=332581

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
There are some parts which are almost impossible to do with a wheel chair or hand bike without taking alternative road.
For example the old medieval bridge after Lorca or just the road at km pole 101: during several hundred metres: plenty of huge rocks. A wheel chair needs at least two helpers to overtake this part. I just read a few parts of Ad Hermans' journal. I didn't find comments how he handled difficult or impossible parts. Off course on some difficult parts, there is always a possibility to follow the national road. But on other parts like the km 101 part, you will need to quit the camino for a while.
So if someone knows how wheel chairs are handling difficult or impossible parts: I'm really curious!

I emailed Ad a few years ago.
On the second link you can send him a message. It would be great if you could contact him - he is a really nice guy.

For the section in Galicia, you can use the resources of Cogami:

COGAMI (La Confederación Gallega de Personas con Discapacidad)
This site has a lot (hundreds!) of photos for the stages between O Cebreiro and Santiago on the Camino Frances. If you are in a wheelchair, you will see what type of road/surface you can expect plus sections that might be difficult. The site is only in Spanish and Gallego. The photos and text have been collected/ written by people at COGAMI (La Confederación Gallega de Personas con Discapacidad) who have a lot of experience with this type of material. http://www.cogami.es/cogami/v09/es/default.asp

Also, in 2004 Ibermutuar (a Spanish mutual insurance conglomerate), together with several Spanish charity organisations and companies, sponsored a guide aimed at pilgrims with restricted mobility. Three pilgrims that covered the Camino Frances in wheelchairs participated directly in the preparation of the guide. The site is in Spanish but you can copy the link into an online translator to convert it to your language.
It breaks each day into small sections of 8 km per day and describes how easy/difficult they are with distances, facilities such as banks and shops, which towns offer repairs and more importantly, on which parts of the route you might need assistance. There is also information about the pilgrim credential and obtaining the Compostela.

An outline of the guide
The advice, suggestions, alternatives and remarks are the result of hours of efforts during the tour, which gives a look at the difficulties that face disabled pilgrims. The daily stages are not those suggested in other guides because it was considered that a person with disabilities would find it difficult to follow a pace of 25–30 km per day.
Each stage is described according to the original path, with alternatives for people with reduced mobility where, due to its difficulty, it must be separated from the ancient route. The difficulties described in the different stages refer to those found by a disabled person in a wheelchair, with a reduced physical strength. It also outlines cultural sites, entertainment, basic services in localities where the stage ends and accommodation, describing their conditions of accessibility.
http://www.ibermutuamur.es/camino_santi ... nicial.htm
http://www.ibermutuamur.es/camino_santi ... esumen.htm

I will be traveling with a cart,(22" wide) because of my disabilities and lack of ability to carry a pack. I was hoping I could do the whole original trail from Le Puy to Muxia. Is there any part of the trail that a cart will not work on? This is something I never assumed I should account for. Please help.

Thank you!
Leslie Edmiston

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You should be prepared to divert from the path. There are good maps in France from IGN that will show alternative, nearby roads. Buy and use them! In Spain the route is often marked for bicycles and foot, so choose the bicycle route.

How was the camino? :) I hope that you enjoyed it there. My first trip I started in Burgos in 2009. When I passed it, I regretted that I did not start at the beginning. Because the second time in 2011 it was no longer the right one. just now I am preparing its fourth lecture on the Camino de Santiago de Compostela. Camino de Santiago de Compostela, I switched to a wheelchair from Roncesvalles to Santiago de Compostela for two times in 2009 and 2011. If you thought it was interesting, I suggest you complete all the camino france as possible!
Some pictures of my travels are here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Camino-de-Santiago-Extrem-wheelchair-adventure/324476834420 or even here on my blog. but so far only a few days .. http://sovis.blog.sme.sk
If you know of someone who also attended the Camino de Santiago de Compostela in a wheelchair, I'll be happy if you give me to know. In any case, I have to refer you to the Camino de Santiago can go across in a wheelchair, but it's very difficult. It's fantatický, unique experience it the whole complete.
P8289257_res.JPG

1544944_10152110655354421_671541863_n.jpg

11800226_10153530131599421_9044447324747730948_n.jpg

184063_10150100684154421_7399332_n.jpg

182477_10150100679724421_726715_n.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back