• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travelling the Camino without a Guidebook

reenabluewaters

Hi there! Can I just ask if it's manageable to travel without a guidebook/map? Are the route all marked? Is there a big chance of getting lost? I will be starting the camino in Villafranca.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you start in St. Jean Pied-de-Port the association where you get your stamp, and credential if needed, will also give you a list of the albergues along the route. I believe the list is only municipal and parroquial albergues.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We have never used a guide book, BUT I do print out various sheets from different webs. For a list of albergues with brief description, plus km distance between them, try downloading info@caminoguide.net If you want something with more information you can try http://www.caminodesantiago.consumer.es This one is only in Spanish. You don't mention which Villafranca (Villafranca Montes de Oca or Villafranca del Bierzo) . Actually, there are yellow signs everywhere, at least out in the open countryside. Sometimes it can be a bit more complicated in a larger town. If you find yourself off track, you can always ask where is the Camino and anyone who is local will direct you. Anne

While checking annakappa's link I found a free iPhone/iPad app that has very good information, maps, list of albergues, difficulties, etc. it is in Spanish. It seems that it would still be a good tool whether you understand it well or not. The maps, names of albergues, phone numbers do not need much explanation. You can find it in iTunes. It is called "Eroski Consumer".

PS - I found out the satellite maps consume data, it may drain your budget. Make sure your data is off in settings when using it.

The Camino Frances is very well waymarked with the famous yellow arrows so you are unlikely to get lost should you decide not to bring a guide book or map. On the other hand, guide books and maps give an indication of elevation and distance in addition to showing the route.

The also give you an indication of where water may or may not be available, how far apart towns are, how many places at an albergue, etc. Information that is useful when deciding how far to walk or where to stay.

They can also alert you to sites and trails that are off the main Camino but that you might be interested in seeing.

So no, guidebooks or maps aren't necessary but certainly for a first Camino they can be very useful.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The trail is about the best marked in the world, and food, water, lodging is everywhere. I find I can't really appreciate history until it is in my face, then it becomes fascinating. We picked up a book in Pamplona with little goodies such as what buildings had been jails for rowdy pilgrims---that was worth it for the entertainment value.

If all you are interested in is getting from one stop to the next every day you don't need a guidebook. But if you are interested in the things you see along the way and which ones are worth making a stop to see, or what you will be doing tomorrow, or what alternative accommodations are available, or where the next ATM is, etc a guidebook is very helpful.

Hi reenabluewaters!

A few days after Villafranca you'll pass through a tiny place called Fillobal on the way down into Triacastela. The bar/shop there has a really useful little leaflet with all the places between Leon and Santiago listed with their distance to Santiago. It notes whether there is a shop, cafe, albergue, ATM or farmacia in each place. It's too small to give addresses etc, but for its size is really useful and it's free.

Aira do Camino Cafe Bar.

Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
reenabluewaters said:
Hi there! Can I just ask if it's manageable to travel without a guidebook/map? Are the route all marked? Is there a big chance of getting lost? I will be starting the camino in Villafranca.
The route is really well marked so it's not necessary to carry a guidebook unless you want some historical information or a guide to interesting things to see.

It is useful to know how far it is to the next albergue/bar etc. I find the format of this sheet useful http://www.asantiago.org/distancias.pdf and also like to have a profile of the route http://www.aucoeurduchemin.org/spip/IMG ... s_voir.pdf

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
a really useful little leaflet with all the places between Leon and Santiago listed with their distance to Santiago. It notes whether there is a shop, cafe, albergue, ATM or farmacia in each place.
That sounds like the Red Albergue system brochure. It is available in all the Red Albergues.

http://www.redalberguessantiago.com/

Print your own 2011 here:

http://www.redalberguessantiago.com/ima ... o_2011.pdf

If you take the Dragante Route out of Villafranca without a map or guidebook, they will need to send the rescue dogs to find you! :D

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
falcon269 said:
That sounds like the Red Albergue system brochure. It is available in all the Red Albergues.
Yep, it's a very similar format, Falcon, but even more basic (a sheet of A4 folded in 3). I'm sure it's done in cooperation with someone else otherwise there would be no point advising on the places between Leon and Triacastela, which you've already passed by that time.

falcon269 said:
If you take the Dragonte Route out of Villafranca without a map or guidebook, they will need to send the rescue dogs to find you! :D

Yes, I did only take a map, (blown-up) from Peter Robin's 'plot' which got me back on track, but then the route has changed a little. It's the equivalent of climbing Ben Nevis Twice in one day, the excitement gets you thru' to the end, so no rescue dogs were required this time! If you change you mind I could offer to guide you over all those kilometers........& with your poles you'll go like a "bat out of hell".....afterall it's the original route :D

julie said:
reenabluewaters said:
Hi there! Can I just ask if it's manageable to travel without a guidebook/map? Are the route all marked? Is there a big chance of getting lost? I will be starting the camino in Villafranca.[/

It is useful to know how far it is to the next albergue/bar etc. I find the format of this sheet useful http://www.asantiago.org/distancias.
Thanks Julie for this site. I used a similar sheet years back and found it so useful. You can see at a glance the distances between villages, with or without albergues. Anne

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back