• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alternative Ways to Reach SJPP from Bilbao: Help Needed for April 2022

La Knysna

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi everyone. we are booked to fly into Bilbao from South Africa on the 8th of April 2022. this is my 3rd camino. the first 2 times I flew into Madrid and then trained/flew to Pamplona and then bussed to SJPDP. this time, I thought we could start and end in Bilbao; bus to Irun/hendaye and then train to SJPDP. I had researched this route the first time I booked for this Camino in June 2019... and a few times after this as I rebooked and rebooked. Now it seems there isn't a way to do this. i can bus to Bayonne from Bilbao, but there seems to be no train to SJPDP from Hendaye or Bayonne. It seems a waste to start via Pamplona again. Any words of wisdom? Will things change before April? Is the train discontinued? Thanks!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
but there seems to be no train to SJPDP from Hendaye or Bayonne.
Yes there is. SNCF just hasn't posted the schedule yet, because it is too soon. Their policy is to release tickets 90 ahead of time, but IME its rarely on time. Patience, grasshopper, and the train schedule will appear like magic.

The bus from the Bilbao airport to the Bilbao bus station runs every 30 minutes or so.
The Flixbus from Bilbao to Biarritz/Bayonne is only once daily. (I did look at Rome2Rio and I have never heard of and/or used Blablabus and have no idea where they operate from.)
A bus to San Sebastian takes you to a fairly new terminal where there are buses and trains to France, that would probably be your best bet.
I believe the SCNF track between Bayonne and SJPdP was washed out in the storms last month but they always offer an alternate bus connection when that happens.
You realize the weekend you are traveling is Palm Sunday.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The bus from the Bilbao airport to the Bilbao bus station runs every 30 minutes or so.
The Flixbus from Bilbao to Biarritz/Bayonne is only once daily. (I did look at Rome2Rio and I have never heard of and/or used Blablabus and have no idea where they operate from.)
A bus to San Sebastian takes you to a fairly new terminal where there are buses and trains to France, that would probably be your best bet.
I believe the SCNF track between Bayonne and SJPdP was washed out in the storms last month but they always offer an alternate bus connection when that happens.
You realize the weekend you are traveling is Palm Sunday.
I realise that now....we will be arriving at lunch time on saturday the 9th, but if there is a daily bus we may miss that. Difficult to change dates now, although i guess not impossible

Well, rather odd. This website https://www.ter.sncf.com/nouvelle-aquitaine/depliant/recherche has the timetables for the line 54 Bayonne-SJPP for the period 12 December 2021 until 01 July 2022 and it seems to be up to date, including changes. You can see, as @biarritzdon has already said, that there is a bus replacement during 4 January and 27 February 2022 but other than that it is the usual timetable with several daily trains between Bayonne and SJPP until July. Buen Camino!

i can bus to Bayonne from Bilbao, but there seems to be no train to SJPDP from Hendaye or Bayonne. It seems a waste to start via Pamplona again.
This doesn't answer your question but you could walk the Camino Baztan from Bayonne to Pamplona bypassing SJPdP if you think it would be a shame to start in St. Jean again.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think that you can bus to Burgos, then train or bus to SJPP....... I haven't been able to walk the CF yet because of Covid interruptions (hopefully this fall), but I think I saw that you can go between Bilbao and Burgos because I want to detour up there to see the museum.

I have done this by bus from the airport to Bilbao bus station then on to Pamplona for a change to SJPP stoping in Roncesvalles where many Spaniards begin the trek. I think there is only an afternoon bus from
Pamplona. I stayed overnight in Bilbao and started out the next day good for jet lag.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If there is no train Bayonne to SJPDP, there will be a bus. The last time there for me was May, 2018 and that is what happened. From train to bus, the wait was long enough to have a light supper and dropped off at the train station in SJPDP.

Hi everyone. we are booked to fly into Bilbao from South Africa on the 8th of April 2022. this is my 3rd camino. the first 2 times I flew into Madrid and then trained/flew to Pamplona and then bussed to SJPDP. this time, I thought we could start and end in Bilbao; bus to Irun/hendaye and then train to SJPDP. I had researched this route the first time I booked for this Camino in June 2019... and a few times after this as I rebooked and rebooked. Now it seems there isn't a way to do this. i can bus to Bayonne from Bilbao, but there seems to be no train to SJPDP from Hendaye or Bayonne. It seems a waste to start via Pamplona again. Any words of wisdom? Will things change before April? Is the train discontinued? Thanks!
The schedules are not available until closer to the travel date. So, one will show up eventually.

The Bilbao airport bus drops you at the bus station, get a bus to Pamplona then another bus to SJPP. It mightn't be doable in one day because (I think) the SJPP bus leaves in the morning.

Last time I got this bus I arrived in SJPP for lunch then walked to Valcarlos and got there late afternoon.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi
Took the bus from Bilbao to Bayonne in November 2021 (several leave each day between the two cities. Journey takes about 3 hours).
Worth comparing ticket cost across the various bus lines - can be significant différences in prices. Can’t understand why this is so. I do a live comparison on thé day asking at the various desks in the bus stations whenever I travel unbooked.

Trains go from Bayonne to SJPP several times a day - with the rail line down now, have to get out in Cambo Les Bains and switch to a bus. Presumably it will be fixed by the time you get there.

Can, if you wish, use the Trainline app to trawl the timetables and to book - it shows both train and bus options. Click on desired icon at top of page. I use this app a lot - for info, and sometimes for booking.
FYI Blablacar Bus is a French based bus service - good long distance prices.
The prices of tickets also vary enormously with the time of travel - eg 50 euros to 10 euros for the same trip at different times. Worth trawling through the timetable - the cheap rates are not necessarily at unsociable hours.

Buses (intercity) in France and Spain are underrated services in my opinion - I have no affiliations with any bus companies!!! - but I don’t fly where I can find a bus/train alternative (saving C) so have a bit of experience on European buses. Quite pleasant and efficient (apart from strikes in France, though that is more usually on the trains!) good value, good options.
Cheers and good luck. And Buen Camino.
Joan

Back in April 2017 I had to take the bus. Apparently the winter snows play havock with the Bayonne St Jean rail line and it is very often that the maintenance starts as soon as the winter snows have cleared. I was most disappointed as I wanted to experience the same arrival that Tom did in The Way. Maybe next time!!

As others have been posting, it is too early for Sncf train timetables and the train service seems to be disrupted and is being replaced by a Sncf bus service at this moment. ALSA operate a direct coach service from Bilbao Intermodal - the bus station, to Baiona (Bayonne) for 9€ single. It leaves at 18.00 and arrives at 21.00. Overnight in Bayonne then SJPDP the next day.
I have just noticed you are arriving on the 9th at lunch time. The same time and price is available.

Attachments

• 7B6A829C-C1E8-4720-B0CA-A51B7F6C57D6.jpeg
    7B6A829C-C1E8-4720-B0CA-A51B7F6C57D6.jpeg
    52.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 662BABCF-6B8E-45F4-89CE-76D06C0078E2.jpeg
    662BABCF-6B8E-45F4-89CE-76D06C0078E2.jpeg
    46.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I emailed the French railway company SNCF. They confirmed that there is a technical disfunction of their online timetable for the line Bayonne-SJPP for travelling times from the end of March onwards. They said that it will be fixed.

They sent me the printed timetable for the line Bayonne-SJPP. It is valid until July 1, 2022. There are several trains every day. Sometimes they replace the train by a bus but that does not change departure times. I attach the timetable to this post.

Attachments

• Affiche 54 Bayonne St Jean Pied de Port.pdf
    199.1 KB · Views: 16
As others have been posting, it is too early for Sncf train timetables and the train service seems to be disrupted and is being replaced by a Sncf bus service at this moment. ALSA operate a direct coach service from Bilbao Intermodal - the bus station, to Baiona (Bayonne) for 9€ single. It leaves at 18.00 and arrives at 21.00. Overnight in Bayonne then SJPDP the next day.
I have just noticed you are arriving on the 9th at lunch time. The same time and price is available.
thanks that is very helpful.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
there is a technical disfunction of their online timetable for the line Bayonne-SJPP for travelling times from the end of March onwards. They said that it will be fixed.
SNCF have FINALLY fixed the bug in their interactive timetable for trains from Bayonne to SJPP after March 15, 2022.

You can now consult departure and arrival times for the next three months, i.e. from today (Feb 4) until May 3 right now.

There are usually four connections every day and it is still the same as reported by a forum member who travelled in November 2021: TER train from Bayonne to Cambo-les-Bain, then change to a waiting TER bus until SJPP.

See http://www.sncf.com or https://m.ter.sncf.com/nouvelle-aquitaine (regional).

SNCF have FINALLY fixed the bug in their interactive timetable for trains from Bayonne to SJPP after March 15, 2022.

You can now consult departure and arrival times for the next three months, i.e. from today (Feb 4) until May 3 right now.

There are usually four connections every day and it is still the same as reported by a forum member who travelled in November 2021: TER train from Bayonne to Cambo-les-Bain, then change to a waiting TER bus until SJPP.

See http://www.sncf.com or https://m.ter.sncf.com/nouvelle-aquitaine (regional).
thank you so much. x

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back