• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travelling with teenagers

Time of past OR future Camino
2022 SJPP-Cruz de Ferro
It won't be for another year that I could go, but if I can I'm thinking of inviting two 17-yo boys I'm close to to join me. I understand that to travel I would need parental authorization, etc. However, what about accomodations on the CF? specifically, if we're in a relatively small village, and they're ok with sleeping in abergues, and I need a good night's sleep close by/next door in a pensione, would that work? they're both mature, respectful kids. Thanks for any insight.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
It won't be for another year that I could go, but if I can I'm thinking of inviting two 17-yo boys I'm close to to join me. I understand that to travel I would need parental authorization, etc. However, what about accomodations on the CF? specifically, if we're in a relatively small village, and they're ok with sleeping in abergues, and I need a good night's sleep close by/next door in a pensione, would that work? they're both mature, respectful kids. Thanks for any insight.

Given that you are the only one who knows what these kids are like, how trustworthy they are, and their dependability to carry out instructions, you are in the best position to answer that portion of the question. If you are wondering if an alburgue would allow such an arrangement --- the teens to be left alone without a supervising adult on the alburgue premises --- then my guess would be that any such policy would be individual to each alburgue's discretion.

Given that you are the only one who knows what these kids are like, how trustworthy they are, and their dependability to carry out instructions, you are in the best position to answer that portion of the question. If you are wondering if an alburgue would allow such an arrangement --- the teens to be left alone without a supervising adult on the alburgue premises --- then my guess would be that any such policy would be individual to each alburgue's discretion.
thanks. yes exactly wondering about albergue rules, but you're right it might be individual.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There may also be other considerations with traveling with minors that you are not related to. I would make sure to have written permissions for travel with them and for medical care decisions should they need it.

Buen Camino!

When I read your subject line I assumed these were your kids and wanted to say, "yes" assuming your question was can they do it etc...
I have walked Le Puy to Muxia with five of my six kids this past Fall and they ranged from age 9-17, it was a dream come true.
However your question was not that...it asked how it would be to have them sleep elsewhere than you and I personally do not think that a great idea.
On my first Frances there were activities in some of the auberges that a 17 year old could be influenced by and even if not their parents need to be made aware
of that in my opinion. I am far from a prude and my kids have seen a lot in their young ages, on the Norte we were feet away from a man getting CPR performed on him
and obviously not able to be brought back, they handled it fine...
I think staying where they stay at night would be part of the adventure and would totally recommend the trip if you entertain that. I would not if you don't.
I do agree with the poster who recommended paying for a place for all of you, and just you all every once inawhile.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When I read your subject line I assumed these were your kids and wanted to say, "yes" assuming your question was can they do it etc...
I have walked Le Puy to Muxia with five of my six kids this past Fall and they ranged from age 9-17, it was a dream come true.
However your question was not that...it asked how it would be to have them sleep elsewhere than you and I personally do not think that a great idea.
On my first Frances there were activities in some of the auberges that a 17 year old could be influenced by and even if not their parents need to be made aware
of that in my opinion. I am far from a prude and my kids have seen a lot in their young ages, on the Norte we were feet away from a man getting CPR performed on him
and obviously not able to be brought back, they handled it fine...
I think staying where they stay at night would be part of the adventure and would totally recommend the trip if you entertain that. I would not if you don't.
I do agree with the poster who recommended paying for a place for all of you, and just you all every once inawhile.
thanks!

I think this would be the kind of thing that 99% of the time would be fine, but if something goes wrong, would be very bad. The boys at 17 are under the legal age to be adults in Spain, and you are not their parent. If one of them did something illegal (even accidentally) or went missing, who is responsible? I would wait one more year until they are legal adults before walking, then you can relax and walk as equals.

I must agree with Notion900. However, why not take one of the parents with you?

Many great points have been made here, and I have seen a lot of teens on Camino, but you would have to be a pretty good mother hen. There are some hazards.

Or, are you bringing them to protect you? (and if you are paying for all of their accommodations, etc., this is a cool deal for all of you). Having two boys (friends) together certainly "looks" better than bringing one boy (who is not related). That would get a few raised eyebrows, says the teacher in me.

I think that if you went late in the year (fewer pilgrims) it might be better, but I would never leave minors to whom I am responsible unattended--never.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.