• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travelogue with photos - Caminho Portugues, from Porto to Santiago, May 2019

candaceshaw

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2019, Caminho Portugues
Since none of us can travel, and it's the anniversary of our trip, I've been writing a daily travelogue of the pilgrimage my sister and I took on the Caminho Portugues last year.
I'm including lots of photos, as well, so if you feel like recapturing the feeling, you can read along!
Not quite as good as being there, but certainly a lot less tiring :)
Day 1 - Porto to Vila Cha
Day 2 - Vila Cha to Rates
Day 3 - Rates to Barcelos

I'll be updating daily - day 4 is due later today - and I've also been gathering advice in a separate article, which I'll post at the end.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Since none of us can travel, and it's the anniversary of our trip, I've been writing a daily travelogue of the pilgrimage my sister and I took on the Caminho Portugues last year.
I'm including lots of photos, as well, so if you feel like recapturing the feeling, you can read along!

I'll be updating daily - day 4 is due later today - and I've also been gathering advice in a separate article, which I'll post at the end.
I enjoyed my stay at that same albergue in Barcelos.

Thank you! I've just read through Day 1 of your journey. I liked the way you included the small details that are really interesting for someone who hasn't yet attempted a camino and is still a little unsure.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've lost most of my pictures of the Portuguese, so I appreciated being able to see some of the same pictures that I took!

Loved reliving my experience in Sept. ‘19 through your blog. Like you, I could have stayed in Ponte de Lima another day. Very picturesque! I look forward to future postings and more photos. Nicely done!👏

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Loved reliving my experience in Sept. ‘19 through your blog. Like you, I could have stayed in Ponte de Lima another day. Very picturesque! I look forward to future postings and more photos. Nicely done!👏
Thank you!! Yes, while I was writing yesterday's post, I was thinking about how I want to return there. Maybe one of these days, when we can travel again, i'll see if I can go and volunteer at the albergue!

Thank you! I've just read through Day 1 of your journey. I liked the way you included the small details that are really interesting for someone who hasn't yet attempted a camino and is still a little unsure.
Oh, I'm glad! I'm trying to include things I wished I'd known in advance, or that I was looking for but didn't find, at the risk of possibly getting a bit banal for the casual reader. I absolutely want to do it again - Portugal, in particular, is lovely - and I want to remember these things for my next pilgrimage. Let me know if you have any questions!

I've lost most of my pictures of the Portuguese, so I appreciated being able to see some of the same pictures that I took!
I'm trying to include as many pictures as possible, because I took so many that no one has ever seen, and it's such beautiful countryside!
I'm so sorry that you lost your photos - I'd be gutted!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
...Wonderful.....this brought back some great memories.

Great read ,I am so enjoying it .Was going to do the Camino this year ,but of course like others ,it won’t be happening ..

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'll never forget our warm conversation on that one meeting on the Portugese last October....Miki

Candace,
Thank you for sharing your Caminho Portugues stories and pictures. I walked the same route (except for your Day 1) in 2016. Your images are bringing back wonderful memories and a longing to return to Portugal and Spain. I will continue to follow your blog. Many thanks!

Steve

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi candaceshaw,

I'm enjoying reading your blog, I walked the same route in 2018 so it brings back some great memories!

I was surprised you wrote you were disappointed with the views at the top of the mountain to Rubiaes? There were really spectacular views if you came off the path, to the left at the top. I wonder if you missed it or have higher expectations than me? :cool:

I've attached a photo from the top!

Cheers, Chris.

Attachments

• IMG_2049.JPG
    IMG_2049.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 13
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back