• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Treatment for clothing

• Thread starter Deleted member 36084
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 36084

Hi just buying the last bits for my camino i want to treat my clothes sleeping bag to prevent bed bug etc what can i use ? Do i treat inside my sleeping bag or just the out side when shouldi treat my clothing week before i go ? should i take a anti bug sheet with me or treat the matress where i'm sleeping lol ? I have come accross bedbugs in austarlia not nice . Any info would be great thanks

Scott

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi just buying the last bits for my camino i want to treat my clothes sleeping bag to prevent bed bug etc what can i use ? Do i treat inside my sleeping bag or just the out side when shouldi treat my clothing week before i go ? should i take a anti bug sheet with me or treat the matress where i'm sleeping lol ? I have come accross bedbugs in austarlia not nice . Any info would be great thanks

Scott

For starters read this compilation of 2013 Forum comments re bed bugs on the camino
Various solutions are proposed by a multitude of pilgrims; as always the best choice is yours to make!

MM

Scott -

What I do... others may not approve.

Get the Permethrin solution available to you at your local camping store.

Clothes - treat the outer socks (I use a liner), trousers and outer shirt. (I do this because sometimes I may nap in my clothes. Also I have come across ticks off the Way upon wandering into the forest/brush to cancel the lease, so to speak, on a recently rented coffee or beer.)

Pack - treat exterior to "disinvite" the crawlers.

Sleep sack - treat exterior. You can also use this as an anti-bug sheet if desired.

Two Caminos covering over 90 days, no problems yet.

Good luck!

B

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Search the forum for bed bugs, and you'll find this to be a highly discussed topic. You'll also find use of insecticides to be highly controversial topic because of health concerns, and if this thread gets going there will likely be a lot of differing thoughts.

I use permethrin in a large spray bottle. I sprayed my backpack exterior in case they attempt to get on while the bag is laying there on the floor, hanging on the bed frame, etc. I also use a Tyvek 1443 "fabric" flat sheet (lighter than cotton and water resistant). I fully sprayed the underside which is in contact with the mattress, and I sprayed the sides that will tuck down the sides and under the mattress. I choose not to treat my clothing but will treat the exterior of my sleeping quilt/sack so. The key for me is not to treat something likely to come into extended contact with my skin.

What is the name of the Permethrin solution brand name or something
Thanks

Hi Scott ('live' from the Le Puy Route!)

I treat the outside of my rucksack and sleeping bag (or sleep sheet) with Lifesystem Expedition 50 Plus Insect Repellent Spray... 50ml size should be enough... Technically its for spraying directly on your skin... so by that logic I reckon its safe enough to spray on clothing etc (re: prolonged contact)... Doesn't seem to do any damage to technical materials and (touching wood) second camino on... no issues so far with the dreaded bedbug... Its available in outdoor shops, on Amazon etc...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks
I forget the name of the permethrin I spryed on my sleeping bag. I just returned from Camino Frances, and I neither heard of or saw any bedbugs. So I'm thinking this isn't much of a problem. Perhaps in the heat of summer, they are more prevalent?

Thanks
Sawyer is common in the US at most outdoors stores. Or do a search on Amazon for "permethrin spray" and you'll get 20+ pages of hits.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Going on my 1st camino in July, starting in Ponaferrada due to time limit, was so looking forward but now i am so stressed about bed bugs and what to do... help!

Last edited:

Scott
Hi Scott,
In Australia, I buy a product by Equip called Debugger - anywhere from $20-$25 for 20ml at Mountain Designs, Bogong, Aussie Disposals, Paddy Pallin etc. The instructions inside are very clear except the various concentrations don't seem to make a lot of sense. I just used 10ml in 2 litres and that was enough for 1 small, lightweight down sleeping bag, 2 silk liners and 1 large European pillowcase (I extended the length of a regular one to fit the Spanish pillows). Dunk the small items first and leave to soak for 2 minutes, then wring out. Do the sleeping bag last. What's left I put in a spray bottle and spray the outside of my back pack. In the albergues avoid corner bunks and make sure all your stuff is in the backpack at night to avoid carrying them with you. I have been bitten but not when in my sleeping bag or liner, but rather lying on top on a hot night. Cold sore cream containing Acyclovir works well on the bed bug bites as it is anti-viral. Hope this is helpful and buen Camino.

I was rather paranoid about this when i walked the Frances last year - not least because i have a severe allergic reaction to insect bites, having been hospitalised twice in the past. I wanted to avoid bed bugs if I possibly could. I took a bed bug sheet with me and used it even when i stayed in hotels or private rooms. I sprayed the outside of my shoes, rucksack and sleeping bag - i didn't spray the permethrin treatment anywhere that would come into contact with my skin. Every couple of weeks i re-applied the treatment. Each night before going to bed i applied insect repellant to my socks and leggings and rubbed a little on exposed skin - face, neck and hands.

My travelling companion woke up with 70+ bites one morning and had a few very miserable, itchy days. I didn't have a single bite. Another difference between my friend and myself was that i never ever used the blankets provided by the albergues - if there was one on the bed i removed it as soon as i arrived - some of them didn't look too clean! I know probably sounds a bit extreme to some people but i had no desire to see the inside of a Spanish hospital!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I've heard that bed bugs worsen as the season goes on. This makes complete sense to me. And, naturally, I'm starting on August 24! I was talking with a woman who has volunteered as a hospitalera on the Frances. The albergue she stayed in had just been closed for 2 weeks for fumigation because of bed bugs. It didn't work and the albergue chose to stay open. (Disheartening). So she and her fellow hospitalera had to spray every day, as well as pick and toss any bugs or eggs they could see with their eyes. Yuk.

I have permethrin and will spray the obvious items like my pack and sleeping bag. All of the bottles say the stuff should not be put on your skin wet. Several companies sell clothing that will keep bugs away. (exOfficio, for example). If you look, they are all laced with permethrin. I think the stuff is ok after it has dried. Never put it on your skin while it is wet!

The hospitalera and I were talking about ways to deal with the bedbugs. This was her suggestion-

1. Nothing commercial is actually proven to work. Bed bugs are only killed by extreme cold or extreme heat. In her words, "Lavender oil smells great but the bugs aren't averse enough to stay away. Use it if you like the scent." I like the scent and might try it anyway.

2. DO NOT put your pack or any belongings on the bed or floor until you inspect the area fully. Take along a large, thick, black trash bag to put your bag into first.

3. Don't wait to buy the black bag in Spain, they are too thin. The ones here in the states are much thicker. (Not sure about other countries, sorry)

4. Have a separate black bag to keep your sleeping bag in, inside your pack.

5. Why the black bags? Hopefully it will be sunny and warm while you walk. IF you do happen to get some bugs on your sleeping bag or night clothes you should put the bag and other items in a black bag--keep them loose inside, not rolled tight-- and place out in the sun for as long as you can. Be sure to shake off the dead bugs, eggs, etc.

6. Washing things in hot water and drying on high will also work if you happen to be in a place large enough to have the services readily available.

7. Most important-- hospitaleros will help you with any bug issues. They don't want you to bring them into their space anyway. Just let them know and they will be happy to help.

I will walk for the first time in August. I've decided to trust the hospitalera. Why not? A couple of black trash bags aren't going to add much weight. I have nothing to lose. Hope this helps.

Going on my 1st camino in July, starting in Ponaferrada due to time limit, was so looking forward but now i am so stressed about bed bugs and what to do... help!
First of all, don't let yourself be ruled by fear on this topic. It generates lots of discussion, but is mostly just an occasional inconvenience if you practice due care and vigilance.

Think of it this way . . . You look both ways before you cross a street, but unless it's a very busy street with no crossing signals, you probably don't even think twice about it, or stress that your walk to the library will force you to cross five streets in the process. Why? Because you've learned to be safe. That doesn't mean nothing bad will ever happen, but compared to a child wandering out into the street, it is far, far, far less likely that you will be hit.

We do things every day of our lives that are far more dangerous than bed bugs, and we don't think twice about doing them. Before long, this will be one of those.

Scott, I used "Duration" concentrate that I ordered from Amazon. It came complete with large plastic bags in which to soak the items. I followed the instructions to the letter and treated everything except my underwear. I had no problems last September/October, and will never know if that is the reason or not. Having "poisoned" my clothes, I felt more secure and that was important to me.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Scott, I used "Duration" concentrate that I ordered from Amazon. It came complete with large plastic bags in which to soak the items. I followed the instructions to the letter and treated everything except my underwear. I had no problems last September/October, and will never know if that is the reason or not. Having "poisoned" my clothes, I felt more secure and that was important to me.

I love the comment that you poisoned your clothes! I wonder what's in that stuff?!

WOW! I just read the EPA's website on Permethrin. YIKES! First of all it is highly toxic to all aquatic life. Second, it is lethal for bees if they are in contact with it. (I assume in it's wet form). I really want to use it to avoid bedbugs but I'm shocked by the information I learned about it.

Oh yeah- it's also neuro-toxic. As a person with MS, that's scary. I'll be using it sparingly. Sleep sack, pajamas, that's all.

I love the comment that you poisoned your clothes! I wonder what's in that stuff?!
Exactement, treating clothing and sleeping equipment and then being wrapped in them for 24/7 for 6 weeks has to have some detrimental effect on your skin and ultimately your health. Equally the North American dependence on antibiotics and growth hormones in the food supply is a poison just as scary and yet no one does a thing about it. I have walked more than 1200 km on the Caminos and never had a bedbug issue, personally I think the problem is overblown. Knock on wood!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Amen to the antibiotic and hormone use. Our govt is owned by big business. People are fools.

I treat with permethrin, but avoid apply to anything that will be in prolonged contact with my skin (exterior of the back pack, but not the part against my back) and the underside and sides of my tyvek sheet (not the part I'm in contact with when sleeping). I don't treat sleepwear or bag or pillowcase, etc.

"Amen to the antibiotic and hormone use. Our govt is owned by big business. People are fools."

From the NYU Langone Medical Center:

So, what is this debate all about? Why do some people suspect hormonal additives are unhealthy? Are their suspicions founded? There is a lot of conflicting information about what additives may be in our dairy and meat products and what effect they have on us. It can be confusing to sort through all the noise. The truth is, there may not be clear answers, so how should you choose your food?

Hormones and Steroids Used in Cattle
Hormones are present in all animal products whether or not the animals have been treated with hormone supplements.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and a joint committee of the Food and Agricultural Organization and World Health Organization (FAO/WHO) state that the amount of these hormones that make it into food products is safe for eating. Hormones and steroids are given to livestock to help improve the production of dairy and beef cattle. Some hormones that may be used in dairy cows include:

• Recombinant bovine growth hormone (rbGH)— to promote milk production (may also see it as bovine somatotropin [BST])
  • Estrogen, testosterone, and progesterine—steroid hormones added to promote growth and production.
Beef cattle are often given steroid additives to increase growth and development. Common steroids include:
  • Natural steroids like estradiol, testosterone, and progesterone.
  • Man-mad steroids from compounds of estrogen, androgen, and progestin.
These additives have proven benefits for increasing milk and meat production, but it does not come without controversy.

Battle Lines are Drawn
We know high levels of hormones can cause problems in the human body but can hormones we ingest really alter our hormone levels? Concerns come from two different issues. The first is how much of these additives we absorb when we consume dairy or meat products. Do these additives simply pass through our digestive system or does our body absorb them? How much remains in products after processing?

The second concern is how these steroids or hormones affect the human body. Some hormones are specific to cattle, other are similar to hormones found in humans. Do they all impact levels of human hormones?

The FDA's monitors all food products and have stated that the hormones are safe, but many argue that is not the case. Below are some of the arguments from both sides:

Recombinant Bovine Growth Hormone (rbGH)

Critics of rbGH argue that milk from treated cows contains higher levels of this hormone than milk from non-treated cows. However, the FDA concluded that there is not evidence that a biologically active form is absorbed. Also, the bovine growth hormone is not active in humans. If this is true, even if it was absorbed by humans, it would not be expected to affect health.

Insulin-like Growth Factor-1 (IGF-1)

IGF-1 is naturally present in both cattle and humans. It plays an important role in milk production, bone growth, and cell division. Since it occurs in both, it is assumed that humans can absorb extra IGF-1 from milk. It is possible that higher levels of IGF-1 in the blood may be associated with an increased risk of some cancers, but no evidence has proven a link. The same connection has been made to estrogen levels and risk of breast or ovarian cancer, although again, no evidence is present at this time.

Some argue that rbGH causes higher levels of IGF-1 in milk. The FDA, however, has reported that there is similar amounts of IGF-1 in milk from cows treated with rbGH as there is in milk of untreated cows.

Antibiotics

Cows treated with rbGH reportedly have higher incidence of infections in the udder. These infections are treated with antibiotics. Like in humans, high use of antibiotics can create a resistance to certain bacteria making treatment difficult. It is unknown if the antibiotics used to treat the mastitis create harm in humans.

General Additive Concerns
With beef cattle, the arguments are similar. One organization points to evidence associating women who eat meat during pregnancy with sons who have low sperm counts. The FDA argues that residues of additives in beef are negligible in comparison to levels that occur naturally both in cows and humans.

Authorities also point out that steroid hormone levels in beef, whether from treated animals or not, are far lower than those found in eggs or milk. Additionally, these levels are dwarfed by high levels of plant estrogens—or “phytoestrogens”—present in soybeans, wheat germ, cabbage, broccoli, and many other vegetables. Phytoestrogens act like estrogen on the body.

An Ongoing Battle
Remember that no evidence has made a solid connection with either side of this argument. Many store chains and buyers will not use dairy or beef from farms using extra hormones. Some countries have banned their use because of the harm that it may do to the animals, not humans..

Until more rigorous research is done, some might prefer to err on the side of caution. Among authorities that do advise caution, most say that pre-pubescent children are at greatest risk. Pregnant women may also want to use caution. Here are some tips if you want to keep treated products off your or your family members’ plate:
  • Buy certified organic meat and meat products: Organic animals can only be fed 100% organic feed and cannot be given antibiotics or growth hormones. It is also safe to buy imported European meat products, as added growth hormones are banned in the EU.
  • Buy rBGH-free or certified organic milk and dairy products: Organic dairy farms do not allow the use of rBGH, and other companies that do not use rBGH often include this information on the label. It is also safe to buy imported European and Canadian cheeses and other dairy products, as rbGH is banned in these countries.
Last reviewed November 2012 by Brian P. Randall, MD

Everyone should eat what they want, but inaccurate information does not inform the debate. No big business gets a single vote in the U.S. elections. Their interests must be represented by a vote of a person.

I am people. Disagreeing with your vote does not make me a fool (I am a fool for many other varied reasons).;)

None of this has anything to do with the camino...

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.