• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trees that line the Camino to Mansilla...

SafariGirl

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Vía de la Plata, Primitivo, Norte, Lebaniego & Vadiniense,
Aragonés
Could anyone please tell me what the trees are that line the Camino Francés between Sahagún and Mansilla de las Mulas? Thank you!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
They look and smell a bit like what we call a sycamore tree (platanus occidentalis) in the U.S. Maybe they are related. In the autumn, walking that part of the Camino Frances, that smell reminded me of the changing of the seasons in my childhood in eastern Washington State. (Living in Southern California, the seasonal changes are much more subtle.)
Buen Camino,
--jim--

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A poplar tree?
Hi Sabine, Unless there are different types of poplar I don’t think so, because I see quite a lot of those and love them. They tend to be tall and make a wonderful rustling sound in the wind. These are much smaller... although taller than me! :)

They look and smell a bit like what we call a sycamore tree (platanus occidentalis) in the U.S. Maybe they are related. In the autumn, walking that part of the Camino Frances, that smell reminded me of the changing of the seasons in my childhood in eastern Washington State. (Living in Southern California, the seasonal changes are much more subtle.)
Buen Camino,
--jim--
Thanks Jim. I’ll Google images of sycamores to see if they look the same. I noticed that some of them had fruit that looked like Horse chestnut casings (conkers) but I know they’re not Horse chestnuts!

Those are plane trees, aka "chopos."

Platanus /ˈplætənəs/[1] is a genus consisting of a small number of tree species native to the Northern Hemisphere. They are the sole living members of the family Platanaceae.

All members of Platanus are tall, reaching 30–50 m (98–164 ft) in height. All except for P. kerrii are deciduous, and most are found in riparian or other wetland habitats in the wild, though proving drought-tolerant in cultivation. The hybrid London plane (Platanus ×acerifolia) has proved particularly tolerant of urban conditions, and has been widely planted in London and elsewhere in the United Kingdom.

They are often known in English as planes or plane trees. Some North American species are called sycamores (especially Platanus occidentalis[2]), although the term sycamore also refers to the fig Ficus sycomorus, the plant originally so named, and to the sycamore maple Acer pseudoplatanus.[2] The genus name Platanus comes from Ancient Greekπλάτανος, which referred to Platanus orientalis.[3]

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Rebecca and Jim are both right, these are a form of plane tree. Americans call a form of Platanus - sycamore, where as to many a sycamore is a form of Acer with helicopter blade seed heads. It's one of the reasons hotiulturalist use Latin rather then common names.

What ever you call them they are a welcome sight, a number of places have planted trees to provide shade for pilgrims along they way.

As to your other questions yes there are lots of poplar forms, some tall and thin, others that spread wide and yet others with silver leaves, most like damp soil and are often used to suck up wet spots or as the are fast growing to stabilise hill sides. Enjoy your tree spotting in the Camino, just like pilgrims you will find plenty of natives, the odd Australian (well lots of gum trees actually in Galicia) and even if you are lucky some spikey nz cabbage trees.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Google street view lets you look at the trees into Mansilla as they are blooming. They look like the chestnut tree variety with long leaves, possibly like the buckeye in the U.S. The flowers look like chestnut flowers. I do not think that they are the sycamores that you find in the town square cut back in the style of esplanade (planed in English):
pixel.gif
pixel.gif
pixel.gif
Pollarded+Tree+Espolon+1.jpg

Those are plane trees, aka "chopos."

Platanus /ˈplætənəs/[1] is a genus consisting of a small number of tree species native to the Northern Hemisphere. They are the sole living members of the family Platanaceae.

All members of Platanus are tall, reaching 30–50 m (98–164 ft) in height. All except for P. kerrii are deciduous, and most are found in riparian or other wetland habitats in the wild, though proving drought-tolerant in cultivation. The hybrid London plane (Platanus ×acerifolia) has proved particularly tolerant of urban conditions, and has been widely planted in London and elsewhere in the United Kingdom.

They are often known in English as planes or plane trees. Some North American species are called sycamores (especially Platanus occidentalis[2]), although the term sycamore also refers to the fig Ficus sycomorus, the plant originally so named, and to the sycamore maple Acer pseudoplatanus.[2] The genus name Platanus comes from Ancient Greekπλάτανος, which referred to Platanus orientalis.[3]
Thanks Rebekah! :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Rebecca and Jim are both right, these are a form of plane tree. Americans call a form of Platanus - sycamore, where as to many a sycamore is a form of Acer with helicopter blade seed heads. It's one of the reasons hotiulturalist use Latin rather then common names.

What ever you call them they are a welcome sight, a number of places have planted trees to provide shade for pilgrims along they way.

As to your other questions yes there are lots of poplar forms, some tall and thin, others that spread wide and yet others with silver leaves, most like damp soil and are often used to suck up wet spots or as the are fast growing to stabilise hill sides. Enjoy your tree spotting in the Camino, just like pilgrims you will find plenty of natives, the odd Australian (well lots of gum trees actually in Galicia) and even if you are lucky some spikey nz cabbage trees.
Thanks Hel&scott...ah...that explains why I didn’t think they were sycamores, as you say, I know those as the ‘helicopter-seed’ trees! Very interesting about the poplars too...one of my favourite varieties :)

Google street view lets you look at the trees into Mansilla as they are blooming. They look like the chestnut tree variety with long leaves, possibly like the buckeye in the U.S. The flowers look like chestnut flowers. I do not think that they are the sycamores that you find in the town square cut back in the style of esplanade (planed in English):
pixel.gif
pixel.gif
pixel.gif
Pollarded+Tree+Espolon+1.jpg
Thanks Falcon, for the tip and the photo. Yes, I love those too. But I think many of us who walk the Camino are tree-huggers at heart! :)

No probs @SafariGirl , we have nut orchard of mainly walnuts but plenty of spanish chestnuts and live oaks to remind us of the Camino (and feed the long legged black pigs). Have fun tree hugging, give jimmy a hug for me too.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
No probs @SafariGirl , we have nut orchard of mainly walnuts but plenty of spanish chestnuts and live oaks to remind us of the Camino (and feed the long legged black pigs). Have fun tree hugging, give jimmy a hug for me too.
¡Seguro! :)

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back