• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trees....

Hypnotrekker55

Can anyone tell me if there are many trees along the Camino for shady meditations?? I will be traveling in Aug/Sept time frame and wondered if there will be relief in the heat of summer?

Thanks....

k.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi,
coming from St Jean Pied de Port towards Roncesvalles, at the start of the Camino, part of the path wends through an old forest.
Towards the end of the Camino in Galicia there are lots of eucalyptus trees.
I've walked about half of the way and I'd say it's not a particularly well-wooded trail. But having said that, when you do find yourself walking in shade you appreciate it all the more.

Starting in SJPP there are trees for the first several days...on the meseta there are few trees...then picking back up in Galicia - trees again! In short, plenty of trees, except for on the meseta. Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Trees are not very plentiful on the meseta, from Burgos to Leon; however, I would note that maples are planted in a single row from Sahagun on, and I counted 2,127 between El Burgo Raneros and Mansilla las Mulas.

Hi K,
If you are so inclined, here is the link to my Camino Francés photos....it is more or less chronological... beginning in Roncesvalles and ending in Santiago... you can see the transition from trees to meseta to trees.... there are plenty!
http://picasaweb.google.com/aStoirin/CaminoDeSantiago#

Buen Camino,

oursonpolaire said:
....maples are planted in a single row from Sahagun on, and I counted 2,127 between El Burgo Raneros and Mansilla las Mulas.

You.counted.them. Oh my goodness!!!! With total respect oursonpolaire, I think we are all a little bit crazy, in the nicest possible of ways, to walk the Camino. But ummmmm maybe this takes the cake!!!!
Margaret

Attachments

• IMG_2838.jpg
    IMG_2838.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 912
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well, it seemed like the right thing to do at the time. Mind you, this was 2002, and the number may have changed since then, with stray seedlings sprouting up and other trees falling down. Perhaps someone might like to update and verify my count?

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I love the oak forests in Galicia...

Hey and I've got almost exactly the same photo of the road to El Burgo Ranero, except that when I did it the rain lashed down. It looks strange with sun and blue sky.

I'm gonna have to do the camino again, y'know.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Red Kite said:
Hey and I've got almost exactly the same photo of the road to El Burgo Ranero, except that when I did it the rain lashed down. It looks strange with sun and blue sky.
Yes, it never ceases to amaze me how different the views can look in different seasons weather. I have just looked at some wonderful photos I discovered via a recent thread, of the journey from Cluny to the Aubrac Plateau. I walked the Le Puy onwards part of this journey in mid-April last year, and had snow, heavy rain etc. My photos look sooooo different from the summertime ones I just viewed on the net. It is already making me think about plotting a return to Le Puy!!
Margaret

That stretch of the walk is rather daunting particularly if you have no one to talk with. I wish I would have thought of counting the trees! I spent most of my time wishing they were bigger and closer together...

Jim

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I live right in the middle of the "treeless" stretch described above -- beween Carrion de los Condes and Sahagun. I know for a fact there are hundreds of trees along this part of the camino. They are not often grouped into forests, they are not always right up against the path, but they are very much there: beeches, pines, spruces, oaks, and plane trees, maples and poplars and ashes and locust trees.

They´re just not right on the spot where the pilgrim wants them to be, so I guess they are invisible. :shock:

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back