• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Treking Poles

Mike Blackard

Time of past OR future Camino
CF -Sept.-Oct 2018 , CF Aug- Oct 2019
(CF or VdlP summer/fall 2020)
I'm heading off on August 25 on flight from Seattle to Gatwick and then on to Biarritz. Last year I checked bag with collapsed poles inside. This year I am taking the backpack, Osprey 38, on board as carryon baggage with NO POLES. Need to buy new poles in: Biarritz or Bayonne, or St. Jean. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to buy?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Most airlines will allow trekking poles onboard collapsed or not - so many people walk everywhere with them now. You can also collapse them and using duct-tape tape them on your pack. Should be no problem as long as the tips are in place

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Most airlines will allow trekking poles onboard collapsed or not - so many people walk everywhere with them now. You can also collapse them and using duct-tape tape them on your pack. Should be no problem as long as the tips are in place
Really? You surprise me. Can you advise which airlines these are please?

EU legislation prohibits hiking poles in carry on luggage.

See under section b.

That some pilgrims have managed to take poles through security doesn't set a precedent. I finally bought Z poles that fold down small enough for my checked pack.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
EU legislation prohibits hiking poles in carry on luggage.
See under section b.
That link is a press release from 2004 and that list of prohibited items is no longer in force. Current EU legislation does not prohibit hiking/walking poles in carry on luggage explicitly. But the outdated list from 2004 continues to live a happy and long life on many websites, including even still on some airport websites in the EU. And it will forever turn up in Google searches.

An even older list of the same EU legislation (in English) from the year 2002 refers to alpenstocks instead of walking/hiking poles. Makes me wonder when alpenstocks (either the word or the thing) went out of fashion for UK travellers planning a trip abroad. I can so vividly picture them standing with their alpenstocks and their knickerbockers at the gate for the early morning Easyjet flight to Biarritz, ready to conquer the Pyrenees. ☺

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
El Al and Turkish
Wow - El Al are getting very easy going. A former colleague (British and Jewish) was refused boarding until he removed his scarf (a black and white checked Cambodian Krama) - they said it made him look like a terrorist!
Do either of them fly to SdC?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Tons of poles in SJPP.
Bins of them on every corner.
If you want technical ones, there are two shops there that carry them.
But to me, the wooden ones are lovely and less expensive.
Buen Camino!

Following the FAA the trekking pole and walking sticks are not allowed in cabin for security reasons.
The original poster stated clearly that he leaves Seattle USA by plane, with a stopover in Gatwick UK and is not taking his walking poles. That’s why he asks for recommendations where he can buy poles after landing in France!!! And last year he had checked his poles!!! Why are we even having this discussion about TSA rules and EU law in this thread???

Last edited:
I don’t think you’ll be surprised that ‘no’ neither do!
I was merely highlighting the way that "most airlines will allow trekking poles onboard" had reduced to a list of two Middle Eastern companies neither of which responses will help the OP in his quest to bring hiking poles from Seattle to France as carry-on :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
neither of which responses will help the OP in his quest to bring hiking poles from Seattle to France as carry-on :)
And to be precise: bringing hiking poles from Seattle to France as carry-on is not even the OP's quest!!! :)

Note to self for future reference: mentioning alpenstocks does not steer the conversation away from the EU and the TSA and into another direction.

Last edited:
That link is a press release from 2004 and that list of prohibited items is no longer in force. Current EU legislation does not prohibit hiking/walking poles in carry on luggage explicitly. But the outdated list from 2004 continues to live a happy and long life on many websites, including even still on some airport websites in the EU. And it will forever turn up in Google searches.

An even older list of the same EU legislation (in English) from the year 2002 refers to alpenstocks instead of walking/hiking poles. Makes me wonder when alpenstocks (either the word or the thing) went out of fashion for UK travellers planning a trip abroad. I can so vividly picture them standing with their alpenstocks and their knickerbockers at the gate for the early morning Easyjet flight to Biarritz, ready to conquer the Pyrenees. ☺
Has anyone a link to the EU website which would shows that the current legislation does NOT prohibit hiking/walking poles in carry on luggage. My experience at several EU airports has been that hiking/walking pole are NOT allowed in carry on luggage. Thanks.

Has anyone a link to the EU website which would shows that the current legislation does NOT prohibit hiking/walking poles in carry on luggage. My experience at several EU airports has been that hiking/walking poles are NOT allowed in carry on luggage. Thanks.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Has anyone a link to the EU website which would shows that the current legislation does NOT prohibit hiking/walking poles in carry on luggage. My experience at several EU airports has been that hiking/walking pole are NOT allowed in carry on luggage. Thanks.

Has anyone a link to the EU website which would shows that the current legislation does NOT prohibit hiking/walking poles in carry on luggage. My experience at several EU airports has been that hiking/walking poles are NOT allowed in carry on luggage. Thanks.
Here is the link:
Pick English as your language and quick search for aviation security. Refine your search. Pick a consolidated version if available. Make sure that the chosen display includes the annexes. Check whether your chosen piece of legislation is in force or no longer in force. I don't provide a fixed link because there are frequent amendments of all sorts.

Your experience is limited. What does it mean that hiking/walking poles are not on the list of prohibited items in current EU law? It means that they are not prohibited as such. It does not mean that they are allowed under all circumstances and everywhere in the EU. An EU country or just an EU airport can have a list of prohibited items for cabin baggage that is stricter than EU law. Santiago airport is a good example for this.

EU airports also have slightly different rules concerning prohibited items in cabin baggage depending on whether you fly to an airport in the EU or to an airport in the United States.

Last edited:
If you can't get the poles through security it really doesn't matter if the airline allows them or not!

I'm heading off on August 25 on flight from Seattle to Gatwick and then on to Biarritz. Last year I checked bag with collapsed poles inside. This year I am taking the backpack, Osprey 38, on board as carryon baggage with NO POLES. Need to buy new poles in: Biarritz or Bayonne, or St. Jean. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to buy?
I got mine last week at the pilgrim shop diagonal from the SJPP Pilgrim Office.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Here is the link:
Pick English as your language and quick search for aviation security. Refine your search. Pick a consolidated version if available. Make sure that the chosen display includes the annexes. Check whether your chosen piece of legislation is in force or no longer in force. I don't provide a fixed link because there are frequent amendments of all sorts.

Your experience is limited. What does it mean that hiking/walking poles are not on the list of prohibited items in current EU law? It means that they are not prohibited as such. It does not mean that they are allowed under all circumstances and everywhere in the EU. An EU country or just an EU airport can have a list of prohibited items for cabin baggage that is stricter than EU law. Santiago airport is a good example for this.

EU airports also have slightly different rules concerning prohibited items in cabin baggage depending on whether you fly to an airport in the EU or to an airport in the United States.
Thanks for information.

The Uk prohibits them. See

...but as others have posted the application of such restrictions can be inconsistent.

St Jean. That's where we bought ours. There are couple more sport stores along the way. That shop in St Jean was great! Lots of good advice.

All these discussions about fiberglass sticks, funny.

Following the FAA the trekking pole and walking sticks are not allowed in cabin for security reasons.View attachment 63712

Unfortunately, that is not the entire screen shot of the page. You accidentally snipped off the part that specifically states that trekking poles being allowed onboard, in the cabin is left to the discretion of the TSA Agent doing the security check in. Here is a link to the entire page. Notice the asterisked comment below.

Because of the way I secure my trekking poles to the outside of my backpack, the TSA Agents always have a clear view of them, and I have always been allowed to carry them with me into the plane.

Dear Fellow Pilgrims,
It is usually not the airline but governments that determine security policies. (That's why there is sometimes a second level of security passengers go through at the gate when traveling to some countries- e.g. the U.S.) The question of walking poles as carry-on is a frequent topic of debate, with mixed experiences. Here's mine: Since 2016 I have traveled 4 times to, from, and within Europe (U.S. and European airlines, Vueling, Ryan) for a total of 7 flights, and once to and from Hong Kong (via Dubai) and Sri Lanka (via KL), always with my cheap, collapasable walking poles with a cane-like top. My general practice was to wear my pack and use the poles in the airport and up to security. The only time I was sent back to the counter to check them (and after an internal debate between two inspectors) was in Madrid when I had packed my poles in my carry-on instead of using them. When I returned to the Vueling Counter to check my bag, they were surprised, apologized, and checked my bag for free. On my most recent trip to the Camino in July 2019, I even checked my pack but carried on my capped poles and had no problem on three flights (in and out of Paris, and from Bayonne to Paris). I think the reason for the inconsistency in practice is that poles and sticks/staffs are prohibited, but walking aids/canes are allowed. Bottom line: Obviously safest to check your bag if you can protect your poles. If you decide to carry them on, use them (capped) as you walk through the airport, and leave plenty of time in case they send you back! Suerte y Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for information.
@Bannerman, since the original question ("where can I buy poles after arrival in Biarritz France") has been answered and since I'm on a roll right now ☺ and since I feel you asked a genuine question that deserves a more precise answer, here it is: (EU) 2015/1998. It is the most recent version, consolidated and published on 1 February 2019. Scroll to ATTACHMENT 4-C for the current list. Note that:
  • the list contains qualifying definitions like "objects [...] capable of being used to cause serious injury";
  • the list does not contain the line "Ski and walking/hiking poles" as in older legislation that is no longer in force;
  • this law states explicitly that there may be additional rules concerning aviation safety (they distinguish between security and safety measures);
  • this law is in force in the EU and also in the EEA countries;
  • every EU and every EEA country can implement measures that are more precise or more strict;
    The German LuftSiG law for example describes a number of items prohibited in cabin baggage in its Art. 11(1) points 1-3 and then adds in point 4 "all other items listed in Attachment 4-C of (EU) 2015/1998".

Last edited:
were they expensive?
Just checked Google maps. There's a Decathon halfway between Bayonne & Biarritz, but it looks like a bit of detour, unless you're travelling between the two. If you're willing to spend more, there's that shop in SJPP mentioned above.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Some do, some very definitely don't allow even collapsed poles into the cabin inside a bag. It's worth checking before you leave.

Some considerable time ago when an epic battle was waged on the forum about who was allowed to call someone else ... oh I've even forgotten the word in English ... someone who doesn't obey the law and tries "to get away with it", I tried in vain to find the Spanish law in question. Today it popped up while I was looking up something completely different about passports. So, fanfare 🥁🎷🎺🎸🎻, here it is: Resolución de 1 de febrero de 2019, de la Secretaría General de Transporte, por la que se aprueba la actualización de la parte pública del Programa Nacional de Seguridad para la Aviación Civil as published in the Boletín Oficial del Estado on Miércoles 27 de febrero de 2019, containing current Spanish law and lots and lots of references to current EU law also in force for the whole of the Spanish territory.

Of course I searched it for bastones. 😂

I feel really pleased. I would even go as far as to say smug. 😂

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Some considerable time ago when an epic battle was waged on the forum about who was allowed to call someone else ... oh I've even forgotten the word in English ... someone who doesn't obey the law and tries "to get away with it",
Scofflaw - a person who flouts rules, conventions or accepted practices. First coined in the US during prohibition (https://www.etymonline.com/word/scofflaw) and certainly not in common usage elsewhere so far as I can tell.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.