• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trekking pole donation

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Pilgrim House is closed today ( Sunday)

Or you could put these to a new use. This is a Basque group in the Praza do Obradoiro with their own piper using the walking poles to beat out a celebratory chant. Great music.

Attachments

• 62454975-C548-47D0-94C3-F8C90A994454.jpeg
    62454975-C548-47D0-94C3-F8C90A994454.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 23
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
"All airlines with departures from Santiago airport, and that includes low budget carriers like Ryanair, will honour an agreement that is not widely known: they will check in walking poles without any charges."

I've never seen or heard of this but would be very useful. Could you post a link to the agreement please?

Happy to read this - I’m on the Ingles at meson do vento now and struggling a bit with a bad knee having tripped and fallen in Pontedeume.
I posted poles from the uk to my hotel in ferrol but they didn’t arrive and I’ve ended up with really cheap poles from a Chinese/Korean bazaar. They’re better than nothing but just a bit too short for me and they jar my wrists.
I’m walking to Finisterre and Muxia so really would like to find a better pair when I get to Santiago on the 13th.
Pilgrim House, here I come!
And thanks to all who donate their poles there x

I've never seen or heard of this but would be very useful. Could you post a link to the agreement please?
No such link exists. I posted a link to an article about this but it is old. A number of pilgrims have confirmed that they checked poles in Santiago for free (i.e. when this option was not included in their ticket).

When I was in Santiago in 2019, I went to the Information Desk at the airport and asked about it. The staff that was there on that day knew nothing at all about it. I then went to the Iberia desk and to the Ryanair desk and the staff at both desks confirmed it.

PS: Click here for one of several threads with relevant information and even some real-life experience from pilgrims; ignore the irrelevant comments. I see that I even once managed to get this exact confirmation in writing from the AerLingus Spanish customer service.

Click here for another relevant post. It is nothing new, this free service has been available for many years. I don't know why it is not more widely known.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just thinking: Perhaps this is a business opportunity for our host -- pilgrims arriving in SdC donate poles to Ivar, he finds potential distributors in towns where people start their Camino, who then sell them at a steep discount to arriving pilgrims and split the profit with Ivar.

I have left three sets of trekking poles in Santiago (I get rid of about 50% of the stuff I bring with me before I fly home). Inexpensive ones, simply not worth taking home, but still very serviceable save needing new rubber tips. I leave them in the common area of wherever I am staying in Santiago before going home. Odd thing is, is that I am leaving the poles at the destination point of the journey not the beginning, lol. I suppose there are a few people who may need them to walk to Fisterre or Muxia, but that trek only takes 3-4 days.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Everytime I’ve been in Finisterre, there has been a ‘market’ (using the term lightly) down near the water. I’ve seen the same guy there both times with a tarp on the ground and a mountain of clearly discarded Decathalon Quechua walking piles, I’ve thought both times the poor guy is on the wrong end of a business opportunity. If they found a way to transport them and be doing this in SJPP or Pamplona, they’d make a killing.

I was fortunate to be in the right place/time to give mine away. While in line for compostela at pilgrims office before opening, I met an Italian pilgrim in her 80's who told of completing her 8th Camino pilgrimage. She was joyful/thankful yet weary. I asked if she would like to have the inexpensive poles I bought in Tui. She took them gladly and I walked away knowing they were in good hands.

If the Pilgrims House will accept them tomorrow, I'll advise that @Undermanager will call in for them on the 13th👍
Is undermanager on the Camino too, or did they just ask as question about a link to checking poles at the airport - I posted just after and will be in Santiago on 13th.
If your poles are available I’d love to accept them, if not, then I hope undermanager gets on well with them.
Either way, thank you x

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Is undermanager on the Camino too, or did they just ask as question about a link to checking poles at the airport - I posted just after and will be in Santiago on 13th.
If your poles are available I’d love to accept them, if not, then I hope undermanager gets on well with them.
Either way, thank you x
Either way, I'll be dropping them off tomorrow when we leave 👍

Guys
We bought poles at the start and need to leave them behind.

We are in SdC, where would you recommend?

Thanks

David

Yes! Come to Pilgrim House tomorrow between 10am - 6pm and we'd be happy to take them. Nate will be on duty tomorrow and I'm sure he'd enjoy meeting you.

@julia-t We have a whole bunch of trekking poles right now so you're welcome to take a pair for sure!

Buen Camino to all!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes! Come to Pilgrim House tomorrow between 10am - 6pm and we'd be happy to take them. Nate will be on duty tomorrow and I'm sure he'd enjoy meeting you.

@julia-t We have a whole bunch of trekking poles right now so you're welcome to take a pair for sure!

Buen Camino to all!
It was great to catch-up with Nate after reading about the Pilgrim House, and seeing your interview with Ivar.

A great drop in, which we liked very much👍

Will do so again on our next Camino 😁

Either way, thank you x

I just remembered - we're closed on Wednesdays. What time do you get in, and will you be around Thursday to pick some up? Otherwise, I do know pilgrims have left poles in the Pilgrim's Office.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Also, everyone, with tomorrow being a national holiday, Pilgrim House will be CLOSED tomorrow, Tuesday the 12th. With our regular Wednesday closure, this means we'll re-open on Thursday the 14th.

Sorry for any inconvenience! Buen Camino.

I just remembered - we're closed on Wednesdays. What time do you get in, and will you be around Thursday to pick some up? Otherwise, I do know pilgrims have left poles in the Pilgrim's Office.
On Wednesday I’m coming from Sigueiro so should get in to the city in time for lunch.

Thursday I’m planning on walking to Negreira so would like to leave Santiago not much later than 9am. What time do you open?

I’ll try to pick some up at the pilgrim office when I get in, otherwise not to worry.

Thank you all for helping out x

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It was great to catch-up with Nate after reading about the Pilgrim House, and seeing your interview with Ivar.

A great drop in, which we liked very much👍

Will do so again on our next Camino 😁
It was lovely meeting you today and putting a ”name to the face”
wishing you both a safe journey home
annette

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
On Wednesday I’m coming from Sigueiro so should get in to the city in time for lunch.

Thursday I’m planning on walking to Negreira so would like to leave Santiago not much later than 9am. What time do you open?

I’ll try to pick some up at the pilgrim office when I get in, otherwise not to worry.

Thank you all for helping out x

We don't open until 10am, so unfortunately we'll miss you this time around. Hope you can find some poles at the PO! Buen Camino and hopefully we'll see you when you're back from the coast.

I placed our hiking poles in a triangular box from the local post office. They fit perfectlay. We flew out of Madrid and there was no charge for our first bag
the box was free For the asking

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have left three sets of trekking poles in Santiago (I get rid of about 50% of the stuff I bring with me before I fly home). Inexpensive ones, simply not worth taking home, but still very serviceable save needing new rubber tips. I leave them in the common area of wherever I am staying in Santiago before going home. Odd thing is, is that I am leaving the poles at the destination point of the journey not the beginning, lol. I suppose there are a few people who may need them to walk to Fisterre or Muxia, but that trek only takes 3-4 days.
I am one of those who would like to get poles for Muxia!!

I am one of those who would like to get poles for Muxia!!
Based on comments on this thread it sounds like you will have no problem finding a free set of trekking poles to walk to Muxia, but it is a short trek there. Easy walking and only three days.

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.