• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trekking poles as carry on?

LeiaLane

Time of past OR future Camino
2016 Camino France, 2017 Le Puy.
Hi,
I was so confident about to take the trekking poles inside my backpack as a carry on.
But when time is approaching, I'm now kind of nervous.....
Is anybody has the experience from JFK or any other US airport with your trekking poles in your backpack as a carry on?
My trekking poles are foldable, easily and nicely fit inside my 44L bag.
I email the airline, they said yes but when I check TSA website, no, must check-in.
Thank you.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There are lengthy discussions on this topic on the forum. There are tales of success and tales of disaster. Suggestions such as carry-on your pack but check your poles (suitably packaged) abound. I've no personal experience of US airports but for you it is TSA that decides not the airline. Sometimes its just down to the individual on the gate. They are charged with protecting the safety of the aircraft and all its passengers and will act accordingly.

Two questions to consider. Are you prepared to lose your poles? How comfortable are you sitting in an airplane with a passenger in possession of a sharp-pointed object?

Hi,
I was so confident about to take the trekking poles inside my backpack as a carry on.
Is anybody has the experience from JFK or any other US airport with your trekking poles in your backpack as a carry on?
I email the airline, they said yes but when I check TSA website, no, must check-in.
Thank you.

My pal @grayland and I have a nice tag team effort on this topic, but he's not around right now, so I will have to go it alone. I have been carrying on my collapsed hiking poles though US security (TSA) for years and have never had a problem. I always have a duffel bag with me so that if I have a problem, I can quickly run and check them. Grayland's experience is the same as mine. I have made connections in NY, but I can't remember if I had to go through security there or not.

I realize that there is always a chance that some TSA personnel will exercise their discretion to disallow the poles, but we haven't had it happen to us. I don't think that anyone on the forum has had a personal experience of not being able to carry on hiking poles at a US airport. I have also gone through security in Madrid carrying my hiking poles on various occasions, but I know that I can't carry them home through the Santiago airport, so I always check them.

There are lots of threads on this topic, with a lot of strong opinions voiced. Things can always change, but until I hear that someone has been unable to carry them on, I plan to carry on my poles again this May. And just to be clear, this is not a case of us trying to sneak something through security. The poles are there in plain view and they go right through.

Buen camino, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Here is the problem (from the TSA website):

Prohibited Items
Planning ahead and packing properly can facilitate the screening process and ease your travel experience at the airport. Know what you can pack in your carry-on and checked baggage before arriving at the airport by reviewing the lists below. Even if an item is generally permitted, it may be subject to additional screening or not allowed through the checkpoint if it triggers an alarm during the screening process, appears to have been tampered with, or poses other security concerns. Read about civil penalties for prohibited items.

The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint.

Note the last sentence; the emphasis by italic is from the TSA, not me!!

Search Results For:
trekking poles

icon_check.png

Check Only

Sports equipment that can be used as a bludgeon (such as bats and clubs) is prohibited in the cabin of the plane and must be transported in your checked baggage.

For sporting goods that are not prohibited, you should check with the airline to ensure that sports equipment will fit in the overhead bin or underneath the seat of the airplane.

Even if an item is generally permitted, it may be subject to additional screening or not allowed through the checkpoint if it triggers an alarm during the screening process, appears to have been tampered with, or poses other security concerns. The final decision rests with TSA on whether to allow any items on the plane.

Again, the individual screener makes the decisions, and they can be quite moody.

Hi,
Thank you.
If you check the TSA website you'll see that trekking poles are not allowed in carry on bags. I put my trekking poles and knives in a shipping tube and checked that. I figured if it got lost I could replace the items in SJPDP. Everything came through fine.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
You are ALWAYS taking chances when you try to take hiking poles as carry-on an aircraft. In the US, TSA considers them a potential weapon, because of the hard carbide tips. They are correct, these ARE a possible stabbing weapon. You should presume that the Europeans think the same way too.

I suppose that, if you figured out how to remove the carbide tips, but retained the rubber tips for hiking, purposes, you MIGHT be able to show the security official and explain that these are "walking aids," (not different from a cane) and do not have the sharp tips. But, if you get some officious little twerp who looks on the list and sees hiking poles - NOT PERMITTED AS CARRY ON (without differentiating why) then you will lose your poles and you have NO RECOURSE...in any country.

Do not presume reasonableness...you are dealing with bureaucrats who do a important, but repetitive, and largely thankless job all day, every day. They are not known for being creative at interpreting the rules. it is easier for them to just say "no," as they have the written rules behind them. They will never get in trouble with their superiors for saying "no" to an item. But if something very bad happened on a flight because they said "yes"... that is why they tend to be overly cautious.

That is also why I ALWAYS check my rucksack. I attach the collapsed walking sticks together with rubber bands so they do not shift around. Then I fasten them securely in an outside side pocket of the rucksack using the available straps. Lastly, I place the entire rig in a brightly-colored, nylon laundry bag I obtained in my local DOLLAR STORE for ONE DOLLAR. There is usually room for other soft items as well.

I affix a luggage tag with my first night's destination lodging to the rucksack, and again to the outside of the laundry bag. I cinch the laundry bag closed and double-knot the poly cord. On arrival, the outer laundry bag becomes the rucksack liner, and doubles as a laundry bag (doh!) when not used as a pack liner.:eek:

DO NOT attach a home address tag, as they will likely send your bag to your point of origin. You usually only use your home address when you return home.

Think about it, if your bag is lost while you are on your way to start a Camino, you want the airline to deliver your bag to where you will be the night of arrival, NOT to your home. Conversely, when you are returning home, THAT is where you want the airline to send your bag if it is lost on the return leg.;)

FYI, I use my "auxiliary" 20-liter sil-nylon day pack I carry as a "possibles" and shopping bag as my carry-on for all my electronics, medications, documents, and stuff I must have on arrival.

I hope this helps.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Surely, everyone has their own comfort level with risk. For me, the carry-on approach is risk free. If someday I am told I can't carry them through, I will be able to check them in the duffel I bring every year. But not having to take the risk of losing them in transit (which happened to me, and which was the trigger for my new carry-on approach) is the risk I have been able to avoid.

And I have still not heard from anyone who has not been allowed to carry poles through TSA security in the US.

Hi,
Thank you.

I flew out of Philadelphia, USA for Camino Frances. I have trekking poles that collapse into 3 pieces and easily fit inside backpack. I bought along a packing tube, (the kind you would mail poster's in) in the event I would be made to check them in. Give yourself enough time to return to check-in counter should TSA refuse them. They did NOT even mention my poles going thru TSA. Remove the tips of poles (mine screw off) or use rubber feet. I do not like to check my backpack (bad experience with "lost" suitcase) but if you have to, bring a roll of saran wrap and wrap the whole backpack tightly to secure straps and then check it.
My departure was out of a Coruna airport, and I arrived day before at the airport. So I entered the airport and asked security if they would accept the poles in my carry on backpack. Someone took my poles and took it back to security and they were approved. So next day I had some assurance they would not be questioned, and they were not. This is not to say that some disagreeable security person challenge you - officially they are not allowed. Be kind, be polite, dont argue with security people (hard for me to do, especially in Philly, they seem to have the rudest TSA people!)
I will use same strategy for upcoming CP. I love my trekking poles, but I dont think they would be easy to replace in Portugal as they are for a short adult, and I know I would not find ones as light as my Black Diamond z-poles. Have a wonderful camino!

Buen Camino,
Janice

We have had confirmation that sometimes/often/always the collapsible poles have travelled in the cabin in the US. However, I don't think anyone has reported whether they have been accepted/refused on flights from Canada. I volunteer to test that out on Friday!

€46,-
We have had confirmation that sometimes/often/always the collapsible poles have travelled in the cabin in the US. However, I don't think anyone has reported whether they have been accepted/refused on flights from Canada. I volunteer to test that out on Friday!
I do wish you a heartfelt Buen Camino….hope you will keep in touch along 'the way'. Travel safe, travel well. Maggie

Can't speak for US but I have traveled every year since 2012 with black Diamond z poles in my backpack. Multiple Airlines and airports incl air nz Etihad emirates Cathay Singapore Lufthansa swiss. No one ever questioned the poles.

I have flown in and out of a dozen airports with my poles inside my pack and was questioned for the first time two weeks ago when flying out of Tijuana airport back to Culiacan. The TSA agent conferred with an obvious supervisor who rapidly nodded approval. I think it was a question of my agent being new and having never seen trekking poles before, especially since I doubt Mexico airports see a lot of trekking poles :) If this ever happens again, I plan to kindly ask the agent to check with a supervisor before giving up and checking my bag.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well. I am heartened by all these accounts of carrying nasty sharp pointed objects onto airplanes from American airports. I guess the obsessive zeal at European airports is down to 'over interpretation' of the regulations. Next time my amigo is told he can't wear his turban on a flight to the States I'll comfort him with the thought that he'll at least be able to bring a set of Pacers back with him. Even if his turban has to sit in the hold.

I guess this all suggests that airport security is a completely arbitrary process. I guess we can all take comfort from that.

Ok, Ms.C, you are the guinea pig. Good luck with this, hope you have a backup plan. :) How exciting, off on the Camino again. Not to derail this thread, but are you walking from Cáceres, Mérida, or some other place? Buen camino, Laurie

Well. I am heartened by all these accounts of carrying nasty sharp pointed objects onto airplanes from American airports. I guess the obsessive zeal at European airports is down to 'over interpretation' of the regulations. Next time my amigo is told he can't wear his turban on a flight to the States I'll comfort him with the thought that he'll at least be able to bring a set of Pacers back with him. Even if his turban has to sit in the hold.

I guess this all suggests that airport security is a completely arbitrary process. I guess we can all take comfort from that.
I find this an odd (and provocative) response! Different countries have their own rules. Even when they share the same principles, precise rules can be arbitrary (why is 100 mL okay but 101 is not?) Our purpose in this thread is to share experiences related to the Camino, not to debate the ways to ensure security of air travel.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Apologies @C clearly . I must be seeming even grumpier than usual. THe OP asked about taking trekking poles, a prohibited item, into an aircraft cabin.

The point I have been trying to make is that under TSA rules, which drive the rules /standards for airport security in any country that has direct flight connections with the USA, trekking poles are excluded from cabin baggage and should, according to the rules, be checked. The accounts of variance to this rule do not change the rule. All they do is show how often it is ignored.

Maybe there is an exception to TSA rules in regard to pilgrims. I would like to think that that were so.

I've had 2 friends who both were denied taking their poles as carry-on (they exited the TSA and called a spouse to come to the airport to pick them up, luckily he was only 10 minutes away). And my aunt tried to carry on a collapsible golf ball retriever at the same airport (has a loop on the end, not a sharp bit!) and they confiscated that. So it really depends on the TSA agents and the airport you fly from.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
But, if you get some officious little twerp who looks on the list and sees hiking poles - NOT PERMITTED AS CARRY ON (without differentiating why) then you will lose your poles and you have NO RECOURSE...in any country.

I guess the obsessive zeal at European airports is down to 'over interpretation' of the regulations.

I am all for officious little twerps and obsessive zeal that make my travel safer, even if it means that there is some inconvenience in having to check baggage in order to comply with the law.

I wouldn't risk it. Checking them in is very simple. Based on advice here, I put them in to a strong mailing tube, along with my other 'prohibited' items. Liquids, gels etc.

Coming back via Ryan air, we were not allowed to carry them as cabin luggage. And because there was a baggage handlers strike at Madrid, (no check in luggage allowed) we had no option but to 'place them in the bin provided'. A lot of unhappy Pilgrims.

Your call I guess. Just be prepared to lose them, or have some means of checking them in if requested to do so.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I wouldn't risk it.
I don't understand what the risk is. I will go to the airport in plenty of time, get into the security line, and if the poles are rejected, I will go back and check them. I will go prepared for this decision and I don't intend to argue with anyone about it.

In the past I have checked a small bag including my poles, because it is easy and I prefer to reduce the bulk of my carry on bag. However, on this trip we have only a 60 minute connection in Heathrow (booked on one ticket through British Airways). I would not be surprised if a checked bag misses that connection. Again, if that happens, I am prepared to deal with it by enjoying an extra day in Madrid.

I wouldn't risk it. Checking them in is very simple. Based on advice here, I put them in to a strong mailing tube, along with my other 'prohibited' items. Liquids, gels etc.

Coming back via Ryan air, we were not allowed to carry them as cabin luggage. And because there was a baggage handlers strike at Madrid, (no check in luggage allowed) we had no option but to 'place them in the bin provided'. A lot of unhappy Pilgrims.

Your call I guess. Just be prepared to lose them, or have some means of checking them in if requested to do so.
You're also at risk whenever you 'check' anything. I learned this lesson long, long ago when more than one incident, things didn't show up when I did.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I have taken my folded up z-poles in my carry-on on Air Canada a number of times. I put on the rubber tips, and then put the rubber covers over them. And I put the folded poles in their little carrying case inside the main compartment of my pack. I travel from a small regional airport - where there is never any rushing and the security people would have lots of time to ask me to show them or to check my bag, if they wanted to. But they never have. When I first was first wondering if I could take them, I asked a security person and he said it was fine. I will be carrying them in my bag again later this month. I do check my pack on the way home.

Happy travels C Clearly!

Mary Louise

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've been mulling over this question for my flight to Seville with Ryanair but having just measured my rucksack the question is resolved as the pack is longer than allowed... so I guess I'll be checking it! :rolleyes:

In the process of looking I did see on their terms and conditions that ski and hiking poles were prohited?

I totally understand Tinkatinker's answer, grumpy or not. Obviously experienced in security checks at UK airports ;)

I've been mulling over this question for my flight to Seville with Ryanair but having just measured my rucksack the question is resolved as the pack is longer than allowed... so I guess I'll be checking it! :rolleyes:

In the process of looking I did see on their terms and conditions that ski and hiking poles were prohited?

I always have had to check-in my bag too and yes it's a worry but if the flight is direct, you should be ok. Fingers crossed. And on both Ryan Air and Easyjet I was told the poles were a no no. They also are flying from Santiago airport. (And I think La Coruña).
Buen camino :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would like to ask a question to those of you who have flown Ryanair..... Unfortunately I have Long poles which I want to secure to my backpack but which still stick up about 50cm higher :-(
I have already paid for one piece of checked luggage but am worried that they are going to make me pay an additional €35 per flight (3 flights in all) because the stick up and call them "sports Equipment".
Any advice on this would be appreciated.

So, @Tincatinker, he wasn't stopped for wearing a turban, but for not taking his turban off!!! The bureaucrat in me thinks that this world of difference might not be readily detectable to many observers. :D

Let me re-word: I have never heard of any airport security in the US asking people to take off turbans before flying. And, seeing them all the time on the plane, my guess is they weren't stopped for it.

Let me re-word: I have never heard of any airport security in the US asking people to take off turbans before flying. And, seeing them all the time on the plane, my guess is they weren't stopped for it.
Noting that we appear to only have one side of the story from the BBC report that @Tincatinker kindly linked, the individual refused to take his turban off in public when asked to do so as part of a secondary screening. My simple understanding is that in doing so, he would have failed the secondary screening, and been refused entry to the departure area. Whether the airport security staff offered to arrange a private room to conduct the screening, whether that would have been in sufficient time for the individual to catch his flight, etc, etc were not well explained in the BBC report. The turban is both key, and a distraction in this story. Not completing the secondary screening would, I suspect, be the bureaucratic reason given for not letting the individual board, not that he was wearing a turban.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I would like to ask a question to those of you who have flown Ryanair..... Unfortunately I have Long poles which I want to secure to my backpack but which still stick up about 50cm higher :-(
I have already paid for one piece of checked luggage but am worried that they are going to make me pay an additional €35 per flight (3 flights in all) because the stick up and call them "sports Equipment".
Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Do they specify max. measurements of the luggage? I would have thought (unless there are restrictions on size) it would count as one item of luggage, if you tie your poles to the backpack. Try and check with Ryanair (if you can!).
My poles fold up but still exceed the size of the pack, I think... Counted as one item, they only checked the weight.

At lunch today (after walking my dog and dragging my feet going back to the office) I sewed myself my "Just in Case Case". $1 bag from the dollar store, a scrap of nylon fabric to make it longer and 5 minutes of time. I'd already bought a 3" shipping tube to seal my trekking poles in, bury it in my pack and try to carry them on this time. Just in case at 5am TSA says no, I'll turn around and just send this crazy bag through as luggage. photo 1 is the new bag, photo 2 is the $1 bag before cutting.
IMG_1941.JPG IMG_1942.JPG

At lunch today (after walking my dog and dragging my feet going back to the office) I sewed myself my "Just in Case Case". $1 bag from the dollar store, a scrap of nylon fabric to make it longer and 5 minutes of time. I'd already bought a 3" shipping tube to seal my trekking poles in, bury it in my pack and try to carry them on this time. Just in case at 5am TSA says no, I'll turn around and just send this crazy bag through as luggage. photo 1 is the new bag, photo 2 is the $1 bag before cutting.
View attachment 24309 View attachment 24310
Wish you the best of luck Great Dane…….hope you find it at the other end in the event it ends up being checked.

Wish you the best of luck Great Dane…….hope you find it at the other end in the event it ends up being checked.
In 2014 I sent my poles, knife/wine opener combo, and shampoo as checked luggage in a ugly brown box decorated with silly neon duct tape. Easy to spot. Just had to cut it flat to lay with other boxes at the baggage carousel. If I check this I'll slip the pink ties inside and seal the bag with a small carabiner.

After reading these posts I'm leaning towards checking the poles so that I can include a small swiss army knife in the shipping tube. I can replace in Spain if lost.

Last year my daughter bought poles in SJ. I brought them home on the outside of my pack as carry on with Ryan Air from Madrid to Dublin. No problems. This year we are flying out with Aer Lingus so I dont know if I will be able to bring them. I read somewhere that if you wrap them well in clingfilm it would be ok. Does anyone have any experience of Aer Lingus and poles.

I only have two hours transfer from Gatwick to Paris, kind of rush, that is the main reason for not consider check in my backpack. I will use clingfilm, wrap them well and put them inside my backpack.
If the agent say no, then, no choice, check in my backpack......

I always thought that the TSA prohibited "trekking poles", but it is actually "ski poles" that are prohibited from carry on. I believe airport security in Europe specifically mentions trekking poles, but I can not find links for regulatory airline security in Europe. A TSA agent has final discretion though at the security line. But a pair of poles that collapse to 13" and weighs 9 oz, has carbide tips removed and fits totally inside a backpack that fits the carry on size, should be ok.
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/prohibited-items

Janice

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
One thing I can't understand is why Santiago appears to be the only airport in Europe which strictly and as far as I've heard, consistently, refuses to allow poles as hand luggage. I've carried them through security without problems at Madrid, Barcelona, Alicante and Málaga airports in Spain, as well as Montpellier and Nîmes in France, Lisbon in Portugal, and Liverpool, Edinburgh and Newcastle in the UK. The first time at Lavacolla I lost my sticks as I hadn't left enough time, and the 2nd (and last, I hope) I did check them in but they didn't arrive at Barcelona and I didn't have enough time or energy left to pursue them. Hey ho.

One thing I can't understand is why Santiago appears to be the only airport in Europe which strictly and as far as I've heard, consistently, refuses to allow poles as hand luggage. I've carried them through security without problems at Madrid, Barcelona, Alicante and Málaga airports in Spain, as well as Montpellier and Nîmes in France, Lisbon in Portugal, and Liverpool, Edinburgh and Newcastle in the UK. The first time at Lavacolla I lost my sticks as I hadn't left enough time, and the 2nd (and last, I hope) I did check them in but they didn't arrive at Barcelona and I didn't have enough time or energy left to pursue them. Hey ho.

Yes Santiago seems stricter (no problem for me at a Coruna or Bilbao (sp?)
This time I depart Santiago and think I will mail them home.
I really could NOT replace my poles in Europe and don't think I could complete Camino without them.

Janice

I spent two nights in The Last Stamp hostel in Santiago last week. On my last day I put my rucksack in the luggage room while I went to the pilgrim mass. There was a neat stack of at least 50 trekking poles in there, plus some wooden staffs. All left by travellers on their way home. The receptionist said that now and again they send the latest pile off to Sarria and other places to be given away.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There are lengthy discussions on this topic on the forum. There are tales of success and tales of disaster. Suggestions such as carry-on your pack but check your poles (suitably packaged) abound. I've no personal experience of US airports but for you it is TSA that decides not the airline. Sometimes its just down to the individual on the gate. They are charged with protecting the safety of the aircraft and all its passengers and will act accordingly.

Two questions to consider. Are you prepared to lose your poles? How comfortable are you sitting in an airplane with a passenger in possession of a sharp-pointed object?
I went to my local metal shop and had the points ground to round. Travel in US and Europe. Still have my poles. Elin

I have carried my poles out of Canada three different times in my pack as carry on without a problem to this point. Prior to my first Camino I visited our local airport and spoke with two different security people and was told that the poles wouldn't be a problem. I have also carried them on many airlines in Europe without issue. Of course this could change, but I try not to worry about this prior to departure. Hope this helps.

I have avoided the issue by making my own trekking poles for air travel using 3 short lengths of PVC pipe from Home Depot. The total cost is about $10 because you will likely have to make and throw away your first couple of efforts. I use 3/4 pipe for the handle and 2 lengths of 1/2 inch pipe for the lower 2 sections. The lengths are attached to each other by PVC couplings (no glue!) and there is a rubber tip from the hardware store (the kind that would see on the end of a chair leg). The handle is wrapped in duct tape, and I have a loop at the end made from nylon string, micro-fiber towel, and duct tape.

The poles are not as ergonomic as my beloved Black Diamonds, but the PVC poles contain no metal and have no sharp ends. I've never had security ask me any questions about them.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked September/October 2015. I have the collapsible Z poles. I wrapped them in bubble wrap flying out of LAX and had no problem carrying them on in my pack. I had them for my flights to Barcelona, Malaga, Versailles, and out of CDG. There was never any question or search of my bag other than the typical X-ray. While in Europe I felt most airport personnel were deferential and kind knowing that I was an a woman, traveling solo, and a peregrina.

My opinion echoes that of many or most here: Ultimately it is up to the individual TSA officer. But to clear up one bit, neither "Trekking poles" nor "Hiking poles" are specifically listed in the TSA's prohibited in carry-on list. "Ski poles" are. See attached. So is a hiking pole a ski pole? Hmmm...

The TSA's list is here:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/prohibited-items

Attachments

• TSA Sporting Goods list.jpg
    TSA Sporting Goods list.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 4
Hiking poles are on the prohibited list in Canada. However, I think they cease to be "poles" when they are folded up to 13" lengths. My sister in law and I both took Black Diamonds through Toronto and Heathrow security yesterday with no questions.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi,
Thank you.
Will be in StJDP on April 27,2016 for the walk. Hope to meet you. I am flying out of Vancouver BC not sure on the walking poles but will be looking into it. One advice is to put into Tube and tape up and do checked baggage... Another is to check everything and hope for the best.

Patty

Hi,
Thank you.
Oct 2016 My poles are collapsible but still not quite short enough to go in backpack. TSA in Detroit made me check them. My friend has ones that collapse and fit in his pack and TSA In Colorado Springs did not stop him. Good luck .

I depends on what airport you travel from. We wrapped our pole in bubble wrap and connected to the pack in Seattle and they never questioned them. Of course we never had to go through TSA again on the way over, so no problem. I Spain we picked up boxes designed for pole transportation or mailing. We purchased other items such as knives that had to b checked. We included theses items in the same boxes. We taped both boxes together with strapping tape and checked them through on the way home.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Traveled with on board poles everywhere for three years to and from Santiago with no problems. In April on Iberia was the first time they did not allow poles.. There were so many people with them and we all had to tape them and put them in the hold luggage. Good luck. Elin

Yes Santiago seems stricter (no problem for me at a Coruna or Bilbao (sp?)
This time I depart Santiago and think I will mail them home.
I really could NOT replace my poles in Europe and don't think I could complete Camino without them.

Janice
I left Santiago on Iberia this time and had to check the poles. Most people had them. It was made more evident when the poles all came down the luggage ramp together. Best to your journey. Elin

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back