• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trekking poles: Folding vs. Telescoping - Which one is the better option?

Time of past OR future Camino
Partial Frances (2018)
Full Frances 2022 (May-Jun)
At first glance it may appear that folding poles breakdown into a smaller package, but that's not entirely true. The folding poles will be shorter of course, but they are bulkier since there are 3 pieces instead of one collapsed pole. So, if you put them in the side pocket of your pack, the telescoping poles will stick above the top of your pack but the folders will take more room in the pocket. Many Osprey packs have trekking pole holders, which I don't think would work so well with folding poles.

Assuming you can't get your poles through TSA anyway and don't need to store them completely in your pack, which style is people's preference and why?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
At home I love my folding Black Diamond poles. When I need them on an international trip the telescoping is usually more plentiful and affordable, especially if they get taken at the airport. I set them up and use them (flats and uphill) similar to xc ski poles and plant them at an angle well behind my outstretched hand to aid in forward propulsion.

At first glance it may appear that folding poles breakdown into a smaller package, but that's not entirely true. The folding poles will be shorter of course, but they are bulkier since there are 3 pieces instead of one collapsed pole. So, if you put them in the side pocket of your pack, the telescoping poles will stick above the top of your pack but the folders will take more room in the pocket. Many Osprey packs have trekking pole holders, which I don't think would work so well with folding poles.

Assuming you can't get your poles through TSA anyway and don't need to store them completely in your pack, which style is people's preference and why?
Although I have used folding poles in the past, I am now using telescoping poles for two reasons:

1. I've become a fan of Pacer Poles (http://pacerpole.com). All their models are telescoping.
2. I have an Osprey backpack with a trekking pole holder, which works very well with telescoping poles. I'm not sure how it would hold folding poles.

My Osprey pack is long enough to pack my Pacer Poles entirely inside, allowing me to check my backpack as baggage when I travel by plane.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I forget how many Osprey packs I have (different seasons, different reasons). I use the pole-holder just fine on each pack with my folding poles. It’s a bungee cord, after all. In fact, I find that the folding poles create just enough tension in the cord *not* to slip the way my telescoping poles used to. I won’t go back to telescoping poles after mine became stuck in the full length position on Camino because of the dust that jammed the sliding mechanism in a manner that could not be fixed “out there”.

I won’t go back to telescoping poles after mine became stuck in the full length position on Camino because of the dust that jammed the sliding mechanism in a manner that could not be fixed “out there”.
Were they twist lock or clip lock? It's hard to picture how the clip lock poles could get jammed.

… I won’t go back to telescoping poles after mine became stuck in the full length position
I found I didn’t have the strength to tighten the mechanism enough to hold under pressure, nor the strength to loosen it if it was tightened enough. But those were old poles; perhaps the newer telescoping poles no longer use the tightening and untightening mechanism.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Were they twist lock or clip lock? It's hard to picture how the clip lock poles could get jammed.
Honestly... I forget. They were whatever I could buy in the small outfitter in SJPdP. By mid-meseta they were no longer "height adjustable" (I had been altering them for long ascents or descents).

Now I have the "double grip" that allows me to drop or raise my hand for the ascent/descent adjustment purpose, and the folding style that never jam. Also, mine are so light-weight as to be almost absurd. My hiking buddy here at home has some BS telescoping... and picked up my FLK-Z poles the other day. On arriving home she went *immediately* to get the FLK-Z's for her coming St. Cuthbert's trip.

I have used Leki poles (telescoping to a degree) for about 25 years. When the locking mechanism of one pole of my first set failed, Leki gave me instructions on how to fix. When that didn't work, they replaced both of my old poles. That made me a Leki customer for life.

Oh yes, after starting to use trekking poles, I became a believer - I would never hike any distance without them.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have used both. The clasp on my telescope poles kept loosening making them almost useless when pressure was applied. I switched to collapsing which yes while bulkier still work with my Osprey. They are carbon and i prefer them.

I used to use telescoping poles, but now use Kompferdell Carbon folding poles. They are great, super light, and fold down quite small. The only thing is they are decently expensive, so I would never risk taking them carry-on and having them confiscated, so they are only useful to me when I am checking my bags.

None of this makes much sense to me, perhaps because none of these things are key distinctions in the market. Four section telescoping poles can be shorter than similar three section folding poles, and there are folding poles with a telescoping top section that allows for a limited range of length adjustment.

And what is the issue with them sticking above the top of your pack? They should be in your hands from the moment you start walking until you stop, whether that's for a coffee, a meal or because you have finished walking for the day. Sure, if you feel twee about using them on hard surfaces in towns and urban areas, and cannot afford the ridiculously small cost to replace the rubber tips every so often, then attaching them to your pack where you can start using them again without having to take your pack off might just be excusable. And I will make an exception for end of the day shopping and sightseeing. But in the main, you are getting no benefit from having them in your pack, only adding unnecessarily to the weight of your pack on your back.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Twist locks can be maddening , loose one moment and impossibly tight the next , even after adjustment .
I use Black Diamond lever lock , telescoping alloy poles for rough bush walks . They never jam or slip and can be fine tuned easily without tools , well worth the small extra expense over other alloy models.
For long Camino walks the light weight , comfort and small collapsed size of Carbon Z poles is hard to beat .

I have used both kinds. I never thought I would like folding, but Leki makes a great set and I am a believer. I only break them down to pack inside the pack.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Although I have used folding poles in the past, I am now using telescoping poles for two reasons:

1. I've become a fan of Pacer Poles (http://pacerpole.com). All their models are telescoping.
2. I have an Osprey backpack with a trekking pole holder, which works very well with telescoping poles. I'm not sure how it would hold folding poles.

My Osprey pack is long enough to pack my Pacer Poles entirely inside, allowing me to check my backpack as baggage when I travel by plane.
I agree about the Pacer poles. I used a pair of carbon ones on my Camino. Occasionally I'd catch one in a drain grating but they always survived and I still have and use them. They help with my stride and make me more secure on rough ground. One also acts as a monopod for a camera. Wonderful poles.

My wife and me were using Black Diamond ultralight carbon folding poles for last three Camino. It is very light and had no issue of TSA or even some albergues where ask to leave poles at the entrance.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My telescoping poles are Fairydown - pre Macpac! Still going strong and I take them apart completely to fit in my 30L pack - wrapping the ends in plastic wrap and reassembling on arrival.

I used twist lock for the first several years. And found either the freezing of other disintegration of the mechanism each season.

Switched to clip lock two years ago. Each clip has an adjustable screw to re-tighten as needed. The originals poles are still good and have not needed adjusting.

For air travel I separate to put inside my pack, which in turn is inside a bag-liner come carry bag with a handle.

Kia kaha

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My telescoping poles (twist action) would sometimes fail me, when I needed them most, when I put pressure on them downhill. OR, the opposite, when I tried to telescope them down, they would stick and not budge, and I had to find a STRONG MAN to unstick them for me :eek: . So I threw them away and bought folding poles and I would never go back now to telescoping ones.

I use folding polls. I fold them put them in a package and stick them in the middle of my backpack and I have never had an issue taking them on any airplane. I travel internationally several times a year and always take my walking poles.

Only ever used one brand of trekking poles and that's Black Diamond carbon z poles fold to ~ 12" weigh less than 16 ounces, and never had a problem at airports or when boarding airplane with my carry-on backpack.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Only ever used one brand of trekking poles and that's Black Diamond carbon z poles fold to ~ 12" weigh less than 16 ounces, and never had a problem at airports or when boarding airplane with my carry-on backpack.
I use Cnoc carbin z poles and had them for about 6 years. I also put them in my pack back and carry them on with no issues. I have traveled with then to 2 Caminos, Iraq, Liberia and several other European countries.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.