• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trekking poles on the Inglés

giuliamaria

Time of past OR future Camino
Past - Camino Frances April-May (2017)
Future - Camino Frances (Meseta) Madrid or Ingles (June 2019)
Just a question about the need for trekking poles on the camino Inglés. Are there some tricky (ie: rocky) - ups and downs? I took a nasty tumble on the descent from Alto del Perdòn which I wouldn't want to repeat. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes. Learn how to use them and take them.

On uphills they provide added stability, and are like having 4-wheel drive.

On a downhill, they provide added balance, stability, and braking capability to prevent gravity from sucking you down the hill.

You can go to the manufacturer's website, or to You Tube to search for videos on "how to use hiking poles." It is not that difficult. Once you get the cadence and rhythm, it is like swimming or riding a bicycle.

I would not walk without them.

Hi @giuliamaria and welcome to the Forum!

Yes, I would recommend trekking poles on the Inglés. The route being in Galicia, with all its hills - some quite intense, like coming out of Pontedeume - the poles will be a big help. I found them really useful going in and out of Betanzos as well. The hills aren't as rocky, per se, but still - you'll feel them :)

Buen Camino!
Faith

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There's nothing like the scree of Perdon on the Ingles but generally poles help and I wouldn't have made it up the hill out of Pontedeume without them! Fear not, it doesn't go on forever, there are benches 3/4 of the way up and a bar (and farmacia) at the top!

I would take them on Ingles again for all the reasons mentioned above. But then I'm using them on all Caminos just not in the villages/towns on asphalt because I only use metal tips and hate the clacking sound. Locals on Frances must go crazy or deaf each year with clacking hoards of pilgrims...

Hi @giuliamaria and welcome to the Forum!

Yes, I would recommend trekking poles on the Inglés. The route being in Galicia, with all its hills - some quite intense, like coming out of Pontedeume - the poles will be a big help. I found them really useful going in and out of Betanzos as well. The hills aren't as rocky, per se, but still - you'll feel them :)

Buen Camino!
Faith
It's funny but I didn't remember the exit from Betanzos as being particularly steep but I just looked at my graph and yep, it is. Mind you it did rain that day and I had my specs off for a lot of the time!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It's funny but I didn't remember the exit from Betanzos as being particularly steep but I just looked at my graph and yep, it is. Mind you it did rain that day and I had my specs off for a lot of the time!

Ha!! And I'm short, so I feel EVERYTHING! :):)
My only blister came going down into Betanzos, and then climbing out of Betanzos I remember needing to go slowly because it was more uphill than anticipated. Still a beautiful trail, though, eh?

Ha!! And I'm short, so I feel EVERYTHING! :):)
My only blister came going down into Betanzos, and then climbing out of Betanzos I remember needing to go slowly because it was more uphill than anticipated. Still a beautiful trail, though, eh?
Can't say, might have to do it again one day to find out ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes. Learn how to use them and take them.

On uphills they provide added stability, and are like having 4-wheel drive.

On a downhill, they provide added balance, stability, and braking capability to prevent gravity from sucking you down the hill.

You can go to the manufacturer's website, or to You Tube to search for videos on "how to use hiking poles." It is not that difficult. Once you get the cadence and rhythm, it is like swimming or riding a bicycle.

I would not walk without them.
Thanks t2andreo! Good advice - I did use one pole on the Francés but still managed to fall so I'm sure 2 would be better than one.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I find two always better than one. But everyone is different. I tend to be top-heavy and sometimes have balance issues.
I think you are right t2andreo ! Thanks- I'm decided now.

Most read last week in this forum

So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.