• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trekking poles on trains

Humbertico

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan 2018
I am fully awarding of homeland security on not allowing sharp objects like trekking pole in cabin and this is why I am packing my separately and sending with luggage. My question is will there be issues with trains. We are going from Paris to Lourdes to Bayonne then SJPDP.

Gracias,
Humbertico

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am fully awarding of homeland security on not allowing sharp objects like trekking pole in cabin and this is why I am packing my separately and sending with luggage. My question is will there be issues with trains. We are going from Paris to Lourdes to Bayonne then SJPDP.

Gracias,
Humbertico
Perhaps on TGV international trains such as the Eurostar between Paris and London or the Thalys between Paris and Brussels/Amsterdam there might be a problem with hiking poles.
For what you can NOT take on board see
https://help.eurostar.com/faq/be-en/question/Is-there-anything-I-can-t-take-on-Eurostar.
https://www.nsinternational.nl/en/travel-with-thalys/on-board-of-thalys/thalys-luggage-policy

However on slower local trains to Lourdes or Bayonne etc there should be no problem.
For more info see
https://en.oui.sncf/en/help-en/transport-luggage

For years on French trains I have carried unfolded hiking poles without any problem placing them on the floor beneath the seat or below the sleeper berth.

Good luck and Buen camino!

Last edited:
Just pack them inside your bag - no one is going to inspect luggage getting on a train (except for the Chunnel)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just pack them inside your bag - no one is going to inspect luggage getting on a train (except for the Chunnel)
In Spain sometimes Renfe is checking luggage. More or less for AVE trains. Happened to me this year in Leon (on the way to Madrid) when we all had to go through the scanning. But I guess the rules are not as strict as for airplanes.

I've had luggage inspected by xray machine in Barcelona and Madrid train stations. But hiking poles are not banned from trains. I think that they are looking for more dangerous items like guns and explosives.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My backpack went through a scan when I was taking the TGV high speed train from Madrid to Seville last fall. I had a knife, for food preparation, in my pack. But the man supervising the scanning machine did not look at it while my pack was going through. He was too preoccupied with making me take my shirt off. It being a long-sleeved shirt and not buttoned over my t-shirt, he classified it as a jacket, which must be scanned. I simply followed instructions, but was prepared to have to buy another knife in Seville. Otherwise, I have never experienced any luggage screening in taking trains in France or Spain.

I have never had trekking poles issues on either carry on for planes or ever on trains.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I made no attempt to hide mine in 2015 and had no issues on the train from Santiago to Madrid.
Same here. TBH, never gave it a second thought for trains until I read the question.

We did put ours in a FedEx box and checked them in for the flight from US to Spain. Return trip found them shrink wrapped along with the back packs - they looked like Turkeys ready to go into a pan!

We were questioned entering US if they were food and they x-rayed again to make sure 😂

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.