• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

trekking poles

KWischow

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Finisterre
It seems it depends on the year whether trekking poles made it on with carry on luggage. What are people's experiences with getting your poles on the plane. If you ended up checking them, what did you put them in? Any suggestions to make sure the poles make it through?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My husband did SJPdP to Burgos late May-early June this year. On his way from the US to Madrid he carried on his pack and packed his Black Diamond Ultra Trekking poles in a long rectangular box as luggage. He figured if the box with poles got lost he could buy new in France or Spain.In the box he also packed his wine opener, knife, and toiletry liquids. On his return trip the poles etc went in his pack and his pack into a stuff sack and everything was sent back as luggage. (he did the same thing in 2012 when he hike the Pennine Way in the UK).

Airport security in Seville had no issues with me carrying them aboard last year. I'd pulled them apart (making them about 9"/22cm shorter) and stowed them in my backpack. I also had a small pocket knife they let me keep but I believe it's because I told them I was a pilgrim heading for the Camino. They actually smiled (rare for security) and gave me my first authentic "Buen Camino".
I'm an ask for forgiveness, not permission kind of guy. Show up early at the airport, bring some packing tape with you and give it a try. The worst that can happen is you have to go back to checkin, tape them up and give them your poles. If they can't survive going through checked baggage then you probably don't want them on the Camino anyways.
We all worry about these things and it's so hard to relax going through airport security. I have to continuously remind myself, "Joe, your on vacation! All you really need is your passport and some cash. Anything else you can pick up along The Way." That helps a lot with my anxiety.
Good Luck,
Joe

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@KWischow

If you have collapsible (folding, telescopic,...) poles you can just pack them upright in your backpack and that's it. I've done that many of times and never had any problems on the airports.

Ultreia!

it all depends on the security staff that day.
flying out of dublin i spoke to several people who had poles in their bag/strapped to the outside and there was no problem bringing them on-board.
flying out of bayonne at the x-ray machine security was making pilgrims take their poles out and check them in as luggage @ €40

if you want a pole you can pick up walking staffs along the way for as little as
€10

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
KinkyOne said:
@KWischow

If you have collapsible (folding, telescopic,...) poles you can just pack them upright in your backpack and that's it. I've done that many of times and never had any problems on the airports.

Ultreia!

Did you ever do this in any airports in the United States? I hoping to do the same leaving from Seattle in late August.

I'm 0-4 in getting trekking poles on carry on. Last time I just got cheap trekking poles in Spain that worked just fine and donated them in Santiago. My friends tried carrying theirs on Air Lingus out of Santiago and ended up donating them to their TSA equivalent.

Kocody said:
KinkyOne said:
@KWischow

Ultreia!

Did you ever do this in any airports in the United States? I hoping to do the same leaving from Seattle in late August.

I haven't :? But if the poles are part of the checked baggage I don't see any problem even on the US airports. Or there would be?
Of course I can understand one can not take things such as walking poles in the cabin of the plane :D Nowadays...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Kocody said:
KinkyOne said:
@KWischow

Ultreia!

I fly out of Seattle. I have taken my Black Diamond "Z" poles through in my pack. The Z poles are folding.. not telescoping. Really look more like numchucks :shock: :shock: Normal telescoping ones can be pulled apart for a shorter length. Easy to do and to put back later.
I put the rubber tips on to be sure there is no sharp pointed end to see.
I put them in a tube cut just long enough to hold them.
I mark the tube with normal checked luggage tag.
I put it in my pack and go through security. So far no problems.
I do make sure to arrive early enough that I can just go back and check them if I get busted. The tube will protect them as checked luggage. I would not want to send them unprotected.

It is really a matter of who is on the screen when you go through and I think they will now be a bit more lax on the walking poles so your chance is greater.

I think a lot depends on what continent you are talking about.

When I walk a Camino, I fly from the US direct to Spain without a transfer in London or some other city that might have a different policy. So I can only comment on what I have experienced in Spain and in the US, but I have never been told that the poles could not go on the plane.

When I go on the Camino, or when I go hiking in the US, I take the poles apart and put them in a small duffel bag. I use the duffel so that I can check them if I have a problem with security. The bag is empty except for my neck pillow for the flight and the poles. I also carry on my backpack. I have never had trouble getting them through the security machines in the airports of Chicago, Dallas, San Francisco, Seattle, Miami, DC, Madrid, and others I can't remember.

I have a huge preference for carrying everything on, and you will too if some of your checked luggage doesn't make it to Madrid and you have a few hours to get to the train station to travel to Sevilla. I know the odds are small, but it happens. And when it does, it is a huge pain. Buen camino, Laurie

I passed thru security at BWI today on business trip and stopped to talk to a TSA Supervisor about carrying my z-poles in carry-on luggage. The only thing he wanted to know was if they had sharp metal tips. I told him they have rubber tips and his answer was "no problem".

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thank you so much for all the input! I still haven't decided what to do but there are a lot of good options!

Milepost99 said:
I passed thru security at BWI today on business trip and stopped to talk to a TSA Supervisor about carrying my z-poles in carry-on luggage. The only thing he wanted to know was if they had sharp metal tips. I told him they have rubber tips and his answer was "no problem".

This kind of thing very much depends on where you are boarding from and the attitude of the person at the desk. I've twice seen people refused permission to take umbrellas on board planes in the UK. They wouldn't let them put them through the checked in baggage either. There are some real 'jobsworths'* about who will delight in ruining your day.

* For international readers:

jobsworth = A person in a petty authority position who will willfully obstruct you in every possible way by saying, 'No mate - its more than my job's worth.

Just walked SJPDP to Muxia. My telescopic poles pull apart into 3 sections. I only took one (I will never do it again without 2). I put it in the hydration gap between the bag and frame of my Osprey Talon 44L as my pole just fits in there. Yes, it's 44L but before someone comments I don't fill it and it's comfortable! No problems going out with security at London Stanstead with either that or my knife/fork/spoon set. Leaving Santiago they took the table knife and my pole. BooHoo, what a terrible ending to my camino! I had become very fond of my baby!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Leaving Santiago they took the table knife and my pole. BooHoo, what a terrible ending to my camino! I had become very fond of my baby!
Al the optimist:
Would they have let you check your poles in Santiago? It seems that a lot of people would be carrying poles at that point!

No the security guy had put them in the confiscated receptacle before while I was fishing out the table knife. When I asked where the pole was he said it was too late.

I'm just back, had no problem in Dublin with poles attached to our Backpacks...unfortunately they were taken from us on our return flight, I deliberately brought cheap poles as I heard there could be problems...it may be worth checking in your Backpack.
Caroline :D

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Al the optimist said:
No the security guy had put them in the confiscated receptacle before while I was fishing out the table knife. When I asked where the pole was he said it was too late.

WHAT?????????
That's off limits I think. But on the other hand..., what the heck, after Camino.

Such a stupid thing shouldn't spoil it.

Al the optimist wrote:No the security guy had put them in the confiscated receptacle before while I was fishing out the table knife. When I asked where the pole was he said it was too late.

All I can say is that is just wrong! Maybe he/she was planning a trip and needed an extra pole!

I'm still up in the air if I"m going to take mine. We leave in just over a week so a decision will have to be made. I would just hate to lose a nice pair of poles based on the whim of a screener. We'll see...

I just returned a couple of weeks ago from doing the Camino Frances and I flew my trekking poles with me on the plane from Boise, Idaho. The security person did tell me it depends on who the supervisor is that day. That doesn't seem professional. Anyway, I had no problems carrying them on other than I made the mistake of putting them up above and someone shoved our things around and they came down on a man's head! so you might want to keep them on the floor with you.
Hope that is helpful.
Nikki

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My wife and I finished Lisbon to Santiago just a few weeks ago.
We wrapped our poles into a towel and put the lot in the backpack..a 50 liter Osprey .
We checked them in on the flights and had no problems at all.

Bom caminho

Just an update on the poles traveling on carry on...We traveled late July from the states to Madrid then Santiago with no problem or questions about the poles. On the way back we went through Dublin to the states and again, no problem. I was happy with that because I believe the poles saved my knees!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Checked the poles in a throw-a-way duffle bag and brought my pack on the plane. No problems.

As a side note you can buy a decent set of poles in Spain, too. I bought a pair for about €50 in chain of sporting goods stores called Decathlon after my Lekis "disappeared" from an albergue. I think the brand I bought is called Quechua (? There's writing in four different languages on the poles but I think that's the brand name). I am picky about poles and was dubious about these but they're doing their job just fine and I plan on taking them home in my checked luggage.

As a side note you can buy a decent set of poles in Spain, too. I bought a pair for about €50 in chain of sporting goods stores called Decathlon after my Lekis "disappeared" from an albergue. I think the brand I bought is called Quechua (? There's writing in four different languages on the poles but I think that's the brand name). I am picky about poles and was dubious about these but they're doing their job just fine and I plan on taking them home in my checked luggage.
Hi Anne,
Did you check your pack to Spain or carry on? I am planning on checking my pack back home to the states, but not sure if I want to risk it not getting there or lost or just late on my arrival into Paris.
Thanks!
Rosemary

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
They were in my suitcase that was checked. One of the reasons I bought that particular suitcase was because the collapsed poles fit into it (barely).

Last edited:
I carried Pacer Poles in my pack as carry on luggage from BWI to Madrid 10/05/2013 with no issues. I checked the pack and poles returning 10/20/2013.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.